Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15

Author Topic: Cataclysm  (Read 9111 times)

Rahx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm
« Reply #195 on: February 13, 2018, 08:12:19 pm »

Given that both Chantar and Tolodor are going to start a conversation soon backs out to head outside and try to do a bit of magic in private to maybe find an easy way to use it.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: February 16, 2018, 11:37:45 pm »

Just Like Magic
Luatyr decides to excuse herself to step back outside, hoping to discover more about this magic of which she's recently learned. At first she considers climbing onto the roof for more privacy, but she can't seem to find a ladder, and, besides, she's never tested whether she has a cat-like falling reflex and doesn't want to have to start now. Walking out the front door, she's immediately met with the sight, and, more importantly, smell of a huge pile of rotting flesh, the occasional arms poking out of it revealing it as humanoid in origin. If she had investigated it assiduously, she would have found that it seemed to consist only of the torsos of about fifty people, but she did not. Instead, she backs into the house again and decides to head for the backyard instead.
Unfortunately, Luatyr has very little idea how magic even works, and is reduced to waving her arms vaguely while looking around to see if anything happens. She tries a few different gestures, and even mutters some magic words she made up on the spot, but nothing seems to change around her, and she's starting to feel increasingly like an idiot, glad that nobody is watching her. She would probably be embarrassed to know that I'm sitting inside typing about her right now. In any case, after the fourth fruitless try, she has just decided to give up and go back indoors, when it begins to dawn on her that the air around her is giving off a faint but unmistakable, and oddly familiar-looking, glow. Hey, that's something!

Meanwhile, Chantar and Tolodor totally fail to start a conversation. Kleiner, still sitting on the floor, has fallen asleep.

Making New Friends
Falkner decides to be stubbornly shy around these obviously friendly and harmless newcomers, but, as he's backing away, Rakasas takes his own initiative, picking Lucas up again and carrying him down the street in the direction of what seems to be a gap in the storm-clouds above, which is exactly the way the trustworthy, totally above-board group came from. Falkner, not wanting to be left behind, sort of sidesteps cautiously into the troll's wake, and, as the pair (well, three, but Lucas hardly counts) close in, they see the others more clearly — finding them to be quite the mismatched group. One stands out as much larger than the rest, clearly a giant, or, to use the politically correct term, biggun; next to him, exaggerating the contrast, stands a rough-looking halfling; and flanking them are three elves of different varieties, a dark elf on the left (that is, their right) and a high elf and wood elf on the right (their left). Standing dumbly, they don't respond to your approach, except that the wood elf turns to watch.
With a shiver, all three finally realise that the skin of the five inert onlookers seems to be crawling with... something. Something alive, and somehow, even at this distance, something obviously visibly wrong.

But Wait, What Happened to the Wolf?
Anweytt decides to exhibit caution and sneak carefully around to examine the source of the sound. It seems that Anweytt's hearing is perhaps not the sharpest, and his sight not the keenest, but after getting closer than might have been completely wise he is finally able to resolve the shape of a large, oddly misshapen wolf, now breathing heavily but no longer moaning. The wolf is glaring directly at him.
Ernor was until very recently lying half-dead and barely-conscious in a small zone of displaced space-time left behind when the spatial warp created by bridging his dream with the shadow's (thus indirectly connected to the corn dimension) catastrophically collapsed. While everyone else in that warp was thrown along in the same direction as the corn dimension's contents, Ernor was almost dragged back to the forest side of the link by a very large, very angry squirrel, but, luckily, and not at all a deus ex machina, the force of that link breaking tore him from the squirrel's grip and left him in a little pocket dimension. Still, he's in pretty rough shape – but not so rough that he can't easily detect the bumbling, twig-snapping approach of a wood elf who turned out to be less stealthy than expected. So he sets his shoulders, stifles his pain, and glares menacingly at the intruder, ready to fight for his life.

Rahx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: February 17, 2018, 12:17:52 am »

"Aheh, Okay. Uhhmmm."

Attempts to take this familiar "mist" and shape it into something close to a ball in her hands; by using her mind, hands, or a combination of both to get the shape that she wants. Maybe if it becomes something like an animal companion it could help her understand this magic better.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: February 17, 2018, 05:05:45 am »

Anweyett sighs with relief. It looks larger and quite different from the den-wolves of home, but was clearly a wolf. Obviously it must have the same gentle temperament and bred-in submissiveness.
Striding towards it, he pulls some trail mix from his pack and gives an imperious ”Come!”
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: February 17, 2018, 02:51:25 pm »

Anweyett sighs with relief. It looks larger and quite different from the den-wolves of home, but was clearly a wolf. Obviously it must have the same gentle temperament and bred-in submissiveness.
Striding towards it, he pulls some trail mix from his pack and gives an imperious ”Come!”

What do you think I am, a poodle? Who are you?
At least we killed the boy and hurt an old man.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: February 17, 2018, 06:24:34 pm »

”Wha- Humans bred their wolves to talk!?“
“... In any case, Rejoice, wolf! Your saviour is here. My name would be impronouncable to a huma-, ah... but well you already seem to have trouble pronouncing ‘puddle’.
For now you may call me ‘Ahn-Wait’.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 06:28:14 pm by Tack »
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: February 17, 2018, 07:03:52 pm »

"Hm. Savior complex. Condescending nature. Low opinion of humanity. Knowledge of the wilds.

Wood Elf, right? Aren't you guys supposed to be in Valinor or something? Eh, reference you won't get."

The wolf extends a paw.

"Well met, Anweyett." By sheer luck he gets the pronunciation right. "I am Ernor Glasswinds. Rest assured that the rest of my kind are not as... vocal as I am, and that humanity never was able to master the wolves in body or mind. May the Spirit bless your journey."
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: February 17, 2018, 09:20:39 pm »

”Oh, not Weyet, it’s W- nevermind. It’s a pleasure to meet you as well, and may the fickle little tyrants ignore us both.”
“Are you a native of this area, perhaps? I’m searching for another like me who would have passed through here, but the human track is malfunctioning.”

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: February 17, 2018, 11:03:41 pm »

"Yep... I am gonna go now."

Tolodor will promptly go to the ground floor, and look out the window to see how the weather is out there.
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: February 20, 2018, 03:57:10 pm »

In thoughts. Ok, I'm going to call those enemies and f*cking scary. Wait, what's going on?

Start building up holy energy for a big pulse. Healing me as it builds.
Don't worry too much about the one mistake, Smoke Mirrors. Your character was memorable for all the demonology and story writing.

I’m running a game/mechanics test called Fate/Mechanics Test. Feel free to check it out.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: February 23, 2018, 06:47:17 pm »

Keep on jogging towards the center of the safe-ish zone, while keeping an eye on street names for Ash Boulevard or Tarquin Road.... Just in case that somehow, someway, she's by those...

(Yeah, not much of a thing. Sorry Spin.)

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: March 03, 2018, 03:35:38 am »

While Elrond bickers with the doggo in the middle of a hole in spacetime, Tolodor abruptly stands and clambers back to the ground floor to get a look through the windows she'd ignored before.
What do you see there? Well, for one thing, at first glance the weather seems clear, and you begin to hope that this bizarre disaster might be ending — but then you look a bit higher up and see, in the distance, the sky darkened with what, in your inexpert opinion, you guess to be a rain of molten metal. Still, everything looks safe and normal for at least the first few hundred yards. Er, that's a qualified normal, of course, but at this point the mountain of dead flesh still slowly collapsing onto the front yard, now known to you as well, seems practically benign compared to what you were half-expecting.

Meanwhile, in the opposite yard, Luatyr has just experienced a small success in learning to control magic! Emboldened, you press on, trying to exert your will onto the haze of magic around you to shape it into a ball in your hands. As you focus mental effort on the glow, you feel an unaccustomed power rearing up within you, and that glow begins to crackle electrically and brighten before swirling down your arms and into your clasped hands, where it settles, turning gently and looking a little more solid than before. You feel vaguely confident that you could shape it into something more permanent, if you choose, or let it dissipate – but it's hard to make a decision right now, as you're still standing dumbfounded by the rush of power, a strange sensation like the back of your brain reeling through unimaginable space as the force of the stars themselves flows into you. You feel... infinite.

Luatyr Theosia has gained a level of mysticism! She will now receive a bonus to rolls for intrinsic magic effects.

While everyone wants to celebrate the good news, some of you are still in danger. Falkner has discovered an awfully convenient workaround in the rules: with no memories, he has no reason to think that magic shouldn't exist. Of course, he has no reason to think that magic does exist either, but as he stands there (perhaps looking a little stupid) hoping for anything to protect him from these strange newcomers, not to mention the troll he still suspects might want to eat him, something deep inside him obliges and the air around him begins to shimmer subtly with gold. If he had been luckier, perhaps it would have instantly cured his scrapes and bruises before enveloping him in a blast of light that would cause foes to disintegrate – but as it is, all that visibly happens is a subtle shimmer of gold. All the while, the wood elf at the end of the group stares continuously at him, and eventually the high elf next in line turns to watch likewise. Rakasas, having neglected to plan for the confrontation, continues barreling toward the strangers at a full jog, and just as they are about to meet and enter combat the narrative focus suddenly shifts.

Ana, symmetrically, jogs toward a pair of strangers of her own, who have themselves stopped deathly still as they observe her approach — but just as the awareness flashes into her hindbrain that the troll and goblin standing before her, skin now clearly crawling with malevolence and ants, may be more inimical than she had guessed, her jog is cruelly interrupted by the meeting of a misplaced foot with an unnoticed dip in the pavement, and Ana tumbles sprawling to the ground. In an instant the two others, perhaps sensing weakness, shift from deathly stillness to a dead run, and the goblin is almost upon her – only for the troll to body-slam him to the side, whether intentionally or accidentally is impossible to say, and swing his own crushing fists at Ana's upraised, feebly shielding hands...

Then something surprising happened.

It is a few moments before Ana fully realises what that surprising thing is, as she finds herself unexpectedly falling – floating? No, flying – in any case sailing through the air as if riding a cloud of confusion. Quite a similar confusion is exhibited by the two ant-zombies (or whatever it is they are) whose prey has gone unaccountably missing, as they stand dumbly on either side of a mound of cracked pavement marred by a deep central fissure. With a single great panicked heave, the earth itself has thrown Ana airborne to free her from her predicament. Of course, now there is the business of landing to worry about...

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: March 03, 2018, 08:51:28 am »

Think about getting back to the normal world.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: March 03, 2018, 10:21:34 am »

The wolf seems slow, Anweytt notices. Possibly all that brain power gone into talking, resulting in it staring off into space. The possibility that he himself is not overly interesting briefly crosses his mind, but is soon ruled out as preposterous.

”Good talk. I’ll be working the human track just over there.”

Return to the track. Demand it carry me forth. Force my will upon it so that its strange technology might submit to me.

Rahx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: March 03, 2018, 10:33:56 am »

Tries to focus despite the drunken stupor of magic rushing into her. She moves herself closer to the edge of where the chaotic events are happening, keeping aware of what mad creature may be near by that does not spot her, and tries to see if she can grasp the wild magic and use it for something.

"This makes absolute nonsense but-" giggles for a little while "I-I am not this giggly! What the hell?!"
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 10:44:33 am by Rahx »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15