Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15

Author Topic: Cataclysm  (Read 9121 times)

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm (Interest Check)
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2018, 12:30:57 pm »

« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 05:00:04 pm by Blood_Librarian »
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2018, 04:35:48 pm »

Ok, most of these are acceptable. Darkwarlock, your troll is far too large (trolls are 10-12 feet tall) and your backstory couldn't really happen. The police would have come and arrested you by now, or park rangers would have discovered you, or something. Basically a life of eating people and having no idea what technology is doesn't fit into the world, which is incredibly similar to our own except it has multiple races not just humans. An orc may deliver your pizza, an elf may be a secretary, a hobgoblin may be a police officer, ect. ect.

Simialrly, Blood_Librarian, you have the same issue in the opposite direction. The game takes place in the modern era in what is almost identical to our world with our technology and our history. So cybernetic interfaces are a no-go.

Oceansoul, crabbing is the use of nets and crab pots to catch aquatic animals that aren't fish. Basically I'm treating it as any fishing that doesn't actually use a fishing pole. Academia is book knowedge and is fairly general. Who led the 13th orc brigade into Normandy? Idk, but someone with a high academia skill might. Mysticism is basically a catch all category for some magics like divination, telepathy, and similar things that just didnt fit into the other categories.

May get turn 0 up tonight, depends on how hard I work this afternoon.

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2018, 04:59:29 pm »

I fixed the application to subsist in your lore, @Roboson, as well as changing the skills.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2018, 09:09:42 pm »

It's happening.

You don't know what it is. Yet. But it's happening.

Something's happening.

Something not very nice.

You've all seen the news reports. Things have been going wrong for days. Storms, earthquakes, wild beasts, pestilence, and no shortage of explosions. Maybe you were one of the ones who thought it was the end of the world, or the ones who thought it was the wrath of god, or the ones who thought it was just global warming. It doesn't matter now.

Now you know it's the end of the world.

I can't tell you why. I can tell you that, in the future, if there is a future, one question will always be on the lips of anyone who meets a survivor (if there are survivors):

"What were you doing when it happened?"

Jilladilla:
Your name is Ana Light. You are in the garage, working, as always. These last few days have been strange, but you feel good. Grounded. Like the earth beneath your feet somehow also has your back. Well, you always did believe it would, if you needed it, but this is so much more than you imagined.

An ominous tremor runs through your feet, and you think you know. Something. What is that feeling? Is something... coming? Maybe you should leave. You glance around nervously, tensed and ready to run with nowhere to run to, and then you glance at the car you've been trying to fix. It's nice, sturdy, fast. And it's not finished.

Maybe you should hurry.

Rahx:
Your name is Luatyr Theosia. The world is ending, you have just been struck by lightning, and you are in a parking lot. There are zombies. There are zombies everywhere.

Run.

crazyabe:
Your name is – well, no call to be spreading that around. Nobody calls you that here anyway. There are a few things you answer to, here, none of them too flattering, but that's prison for you. At least it's a nice prison, because you were smart enough not to tell them everything you've done. So you're minding your own business in the yard, playing a relaxing game of Safety Checkers (guaranteed suicide-proof!) with your buddies the insurance fraud and the corporate embezzler, all pretty nonplussed about these strange events that all the guards are worrying about. And then there's a crack.

It's a good thing you never did lend Little Ted, the insurance guy, that extra commissary money he asked for, you reflect, watching the approximately half of his skull and torso remaining slowly drop to the ground. Behind him... you're pretty sure that pleasant suburban forest wasn't there yesterday, or even a few minutes ago. You hear screaming, and the general sound of guards not paying any attention to you at all.

I guess you might as well escape.

darkwarlock3:
Your name is Rakasas. You have a splitting headache and no tea. The last thing you remember, you were at home in the forest where you hid from the local lord's knights, with whom your peculiar appetites made you terribly unpopular. You vaguely recall seeing some humans in unusual clothes who seemed to appear from nowhere, then did something strange that knocked you over before you managed to eat them even a little bit. When you picked yourself up, they were gone, but so was everything else. Now everything that was familiar to you is gone, the sky looks wrong, and there's an ominous feeling in the air. You hear a deep, disturbing roar drawing closer to you, sounding like an angry monster you might see in a dream, and you crouch down in the bushes to hide.

And watch.

OceanSoul:
Your name is Lucas Clarke. You are a very serious doctor and would-be academic, which is why it is not in the least surprising that you are clinging to the roof of a car, careening away from something which your expert medical opinion would identify as "zombies". A lot of zombies, in fact. In the distance you can also see something that looks an awful lot like a dragon making an unfortunate mess of your erstwhile city. Meanwhile, the driver of your mount, whom you did not consult in your escape, has just noticed you and appears to be trying to shake you off, which is just incredibly rude. Now that you're outside city limits and seem to be relatively safe, you're growing concerned that she might stop to take care of the problem more directly. But there's a nice grassy slope to the right that you could probably survive landing on at this speed.

Is this where you get off?

Blood_Librarian:
Your name is Tolodor Wick, but everybody calls you "Breader". Last you knew, you were in South Korea, in an ordinary apartment building in an ordinary city, and the world was ending. Now you've walked out the front door to find yourself standing in the middle of a grassy plain like no place you've ever seen before, except on television. Reflexively, you check your phone to find out where you are, but the global positioning system is down, in some cases literally. As you look around, the ground thunders, then swells, then splits like an overripe tomato right in front of you, exposing a vertiginous jagged chasm. And it's still growing.

You may want to get out of here.

And as for me?

I was in my home office, prototyping a new deep-learning AI design for a data mining company you've probably never heard of (and we like it that way). It's a funny thing, you know, when you tell people you're an AI programmer, people instantly think Skynet and act like you're going to destroy the world. But I'm at least 86% certain none of this was my fault. Not that we don't all dream of creating Skynet one day, but this was just a boring pile of totally mundane databases and algorithms about as likely to achieve self-awareness as your average calculus textbook, or slightly more likely than the average voter. Which is why I was more than a little uneasy about the sudden and indescribable sensation I had, of some unseen behemoth waking up.

Well, no, that's not what made me uneasy.

What made me uneasy was the screaming.

Unmistakable, pouring forth from the speakers, from a program that had no code for making sound; and not the tinny screeching of overloaded electronics, but anguished, organic, the cry of a living soul in abject unthinkable agony.

Calmly, I turned off the computer, ending (I assumed) its suffering. After disconnecting the power, just to be sure, I walked out of my house in search of a safer place. In my case, safety wasn't hard to find: a gap in the swirling, ominously off-colour clouds, less than a block away, centred over the suburban home of one Chantar Drake. I didn't bother to stand around wondering why at that point. I just walked over, and walked in.

The rest of you will be arriving soon, right?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 11:02:34 pm by Maximum Spin »

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2018, 11:06:00 pm »

I Run away from Prison.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

darkwarlock3

• Bay Watcher
  • !!LET IT BURN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2018, 11:12:51 pm »

go find nearest tree club for troll size and rip it out of the ground or break it
I need more things to join, Send me a request if you need players for something.
I came for the games and stayed for the lack of sanity.
Grammar is my only weakness

Rahx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2018, 11:15:57 pm »

While running; tries to assess the situation if grabbing important and useful things from her vehicle would be possible. If not runs to the nearest alleyway that does not have anything magic related affecting the buildings or zombies pouring out of. If the alleyway option is not possible try to run down the path of least resistance whether or not it actually leads to her possibly once was apartment.

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2018, 11:31:48 pm »

Gaze into the abyss, breifly.

Then look around, are there any Cities, roads, cabins, Hills, Knolls to run towards?

Are there any forests, Volcanos, Hostiles, Murderous rednecks, Gnolls, and hostiles to run away from?

Chec if I still have my Hacking-related computer/tablet, Gun(s), and mysterious items of maybe magical orgin?

Maybe run away if I find one of those things I mentioned in question number two, in order of mentioned.
(I would run towards a city before I run towards a Knoll.)

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2018, 11:36:20 pm »

I post a character sheet, finally.

Tl;dr - Psychic dog.

Look at the world we live in.

And for my first action: Smell the mystic signature of a chaos-damping field powering up at Chantar Drake’s place.

Amble towards it.

Avoid population centers and watch for danger.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 12:32:45 am by blueturtle1134 »
At least we killed the boy and hurt an old man.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2018, 12:21:19 am »

Fix the car, get it running as soon as possible, and then get out of here!

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2018, 12:45:18 am »

This is enough, I think. OceanSoul, you're not behind or anything, you'll just be continuing your story next post – everyone's asynchronous for now, until they get together.

crazyabe:
You run forward into the forest before anyone can stop you, or even, you hope, notice. You hit a line of backyard fences and keep running along them until you can't hear the shouting behind you anymore. There's still shouting, though; it's just coming from all the other directions instead. As you stop to catch your breath – prison got you into shape, but not that much – you look up and see the sky between the treetops. It doesn't look happy. In the distance, though, you see a strange spot of calm, and something in the back of your mind tells you that you're looking at safety, of a sort. Getting there might pose a problem, though: it's on the other side of the fences, and, also... on the other side of the shouting.

darkwarlock3:
You look around for a smallish tree, your go-to impromptu weapon at home, but there are no trees in sight! You seem to be in some kind of scrubland, with plenty of grasses and bushes (and some rocks), but no particularly sturdy plants. You could try to make do with some thorny branches, or grab a rock, though.

Rahx:
You run away from the crowd of increasingly zombified co-workers, hoping they'll spend more time fighting one another than following you. You are pretty sure you could circle around to your jeep and grab something useful, or possibly even try to drive away, if it hasn't been destroyed somehow yet. You glance around at the nearby buildings, trying to determine if any of them are safe; several of them appear to be rising into the air (including one particularly ambitious skyscraper that has apparently developed a lengthy trapeze routine), most of the rest sport large sections now made of colourful crystals and oozes, and pretty much all of them are crawling with... things that probably used to be people. You start to think you should probably forget about your probably-no-longer-an-apartment and try to get out of this city.

Blood_Librarian:
For a few moments, you stare down into the crevice as the ground crumbles away inches in front of your feet. It's dark, and it's full of steam, and it goes deeper than you can see. You quickly snap out of it, though, and, backing up, look around wildly for somewhere to hide, and something to hide from. You find neither at the immediate moment, unless the earth itself swallowing you up counts as something to run from. You are in a flat expanse like an ocean of grass, with no sign of a world beyond, just yet. And that ocean is pretty stormy – those earthen waves rolling across the surface probably don't bode well. All your usual handheld stuff is with you, including some knives and a military-issue radio, and there's nothing there you don't recognise, but you're not sure if any of it will work right now.

You hear that thundering sound again.

AbstractTraitorHero:
Your name is Beverly Remingham. You do not have tentacles. To the best of your knowledge, you have never had tentacles. What you do have, though, is a small bunker, where you have just fled with your parents after reports of hellish events across the globe arrived at your doorstep, or more accurately your roof, in the form of a rain of molten metal that crashed to the ground like hot knives and turned your home into an inferno. It's been a little stressful, just a little. You have enough supplies, your dad said, to last the three of you at least a couple months; after that you'll have to hope the world has calmed down.

Well, what are you going to do now?

blueturtle1134:
Your name is Ernor Glasswinds, sort of. It would be more accurate to say that your name is incomprehensible barking, because you are a wolf. Or, at least, you were a wolf. You're not sure what you are now. You're experiencing all kinds of strange thoughts that you never had before, which is to say, any thoughts not directly related to hunting, mating, and pack dominance rituals. You also feel like your front paws hurt and don't seem balanced right for walking on anymore. Really, this is all far too much for your poor wolf brain to handle and you just want to go back to the way things were, at the moment. You sniff dejectedly, hoping to smell something that will give you a sign, but there's nothing there but damp earth and animal trails.

Maybe it would be best if you just pretend nothing happened?

Jilladilla:
You feverishly hurry to finish fixing the car. It's getting dark out, long before it should be, and you start to hear things in the distance. Finally, finally, the last replacement part is bolted into place, you slam the hood and scramble into the driver's seat, turn the key praying to the earthmother that it'll work, and...

the engine absolutely purrs.

As you pull out of the garage and tear off down the road, you know that this car just shouldn't be accelerating so smoothly, shouldn't turn so tightly, shouldn't handle so well. But you're not about to complain. You smash into something horrible-looking, flipping it up over the hood and away behind you, and don't even think about stopping. Soon you're on the open road and you realise you've been holding your breath the whole time – you let it out with a sigh, and start wondering just where you're going to go.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 11:17:49 pm by Maximum Spin »

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2018, 12:49:34 am »

Well, shoulda known plot-driven player radar was a long shot.

Pick a random direction and start walking.
At least we killed the boy and hurt an old man.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

darkwarlock3

• Bay Watcher
  • !!LET IT BURN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2018, 12:58:26 am »

grab a big rock for troll club head then head for shelter from this big storm while looking for shelter pick up branches that could be a handle for club
I need more things to join, Send me a request if you need players for something.
I came for the games and stayed for the lack of sanity.
Grammar is my only weakness

Rahx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2018, 01:00:40 am »

Quickly heads over to the jeep and gets in to try to drive the fuck out of this crazy place; at least as far as the vehicle can go to get out of the city and storm.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2018, 01:24:08 am »

I Run through the shouting towards the area of Calm.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15