Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 45

Author Topic: Arms Race: Iron Behemoths - Nogrania - GAME OVER  (Read 52944 times)

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: Iron Behemoths - Nogrania - Turn 11, Auturmn 1953
« Reply #480 on: March 26, 2018, 07:45:26 am »

I'd just like to point out that I have correctly and confidently predicted the outcomes of 3/3 UN court cases. I'm not saying I should be appointed head of legal issues (with veto power over all designs and accusations), I'm just saying the rest of you should maybe consider listening next time I tell you an idea is stupid. (:p)

Anyway, I think we take aluminium as our special resource, which combined with more TC will make our copters Cheap, which should be a powerful advantage.

To gain extra TC, I suggest the Megamule.

Alternatively, if we want to wow the investors (which admittedly the Megamule is unlikely to do), we could do this:

NAF-QW-53 "Squire": Sometimes you need a little more firepower than an infantry soldier carries, but not as much as a tank, and preferably ASAP. Sometimes you need to go scouting, but all your copters are busy and all your horses are shot. Sometimes you need armour, but the terrain is too rough to get a tank through.
Sometimes, in other words, you need a Squire. A Quad Walker, it is designed for speed. The legs, rather than being splayed out, face forwards, to allow the vehicle to 'run' like a horse. Several gyroscopes and accelerometers automatically adjust the vehicle's balance in order to keep it upright at high speeds. As each leg has entirely separate gearing, it can turn easily. Whilst not a crucial feature, the possibility of letting the vehicle jump over obstacles was investigated.
The blocky body is suspended several feet off the ground (when standing/moving; the vehicle can 'kneel' to make getting in/out easier), seating two crew members. The driver sits to the rear in a slightly elevated position, behind the engine. Bulletproof windows keep him out of the wind whilst providing an excellent field of view, and a canvas roof keeps him dry and warmish. In front of the engine, slightly lower (such that the driver's sight is not obstructed), the gunner sits in a similar setup, looking out at the Emu NMG mounted on the front of the vehicle, which he can aim and fire from within- worth noting is that the Emu is modular, and could easily be replaced with another medium weapon. The vehicle also has an integrated radio. It has Light armour around the sides and over vulnerable sections of the legs.
Most of the development effort is focused on making sure the vehicle is as fast and agile as possible. Whilst not intentionally weak, survivability is expected to come in the form of dodging attacks rather than tanking hits.

Not an easy design by any means, but could be useful and impressive if it works. I would want to use aluminium to make it lighter if that is indeed the resource we choose to go for.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 08:53:46 am by NUKE9.13 »
Long Live United Forenia!

johiah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: March 26, 2018, 09:49:02 am »

I know I am just an observer, but ES, at least one person reads the other news section!
Quote from: AoshimaMichio
Oh no, you won't laser my death star.
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: March 26, 2018, 09:56:00 am »

But will the Megamule impress our investors? They're looking for weaponry. I don't think I'll vote on a design until we figure out how to impress our potential investors - if our revision can cover our asses there though, the Megamule will probably get my vote.

I also have two thoughts I'd like to throw at the wall. Once again, this is my first time participating in an AR, so I promise I won't get salty if you guys pick my shit apart.

A) When I mentioned using smoke a few posts back, the idea kind of stuck in my head and evolved over the long hours spent at work. First, I think the utility of smoke in warfare is largely underestimated (not calling anyone out, I mean by people in general - I've seen how salty some of these get, and I don't want to trigger a saltstorm in one of the more reasonable AR threads I've read). Every arm of our military can utilize smoke, at the very least to cover retreats and advances. Specifically though, my mind wandered to some of the Extras stuff in the Band of Brothers DVDs.

For some of the mortar blasts and the like they used practical effects, namely a cone-shaped device called an Air Mortar that fires compressed air. They buried these under some dirt and were able to fire these off right next to actors without them sustaining injury. If we did something like that with a pressure-activated landmine, where it threw air, dirt, and smoke to the sky, not only would it signal where the enemy is approaching from, but it will initially likely befuddle our foes, and if our artillerybois are properly prepared, once smoke's sighted in the sky they can rain fire down on an enemy not prepared for them. Since it's nonlethal, we might be able to get away with not marking the area, too...

This is about the time we also would produce NVGs and then Thermal Optics, hopefully in such a way that the smoke and thermals are fielded no more than a season or so apart. This would force the Toskeshi engineers to react to that directly if they wanted to level the field. This would also buy us a turn or two to focus on, say, re-neutralizing their capacity for aerial warfare, or any of a dozen areas we could step up and over them in.

It's a shift in the flow of combat, and if there's one thing I've learned reading a few hundred pages of ARs, it's that innovational, proactive change, and not incremental change, controls the game. Opening up a new branch of research gives us a leg up in that field immediately.

2) Going along with the new branch of research thing, what if instead of doing something like the Bull armor we first, or maybe alongside it for the synergies, worked on a bulky, unwieldy exosuit similar to the iconic Caterpillar Exosuit in Alien? A few revisions and miniaturizations later and suddenly we're the Brotherhood of Steel. Grossly oversimplified, obviously, but as a secret project I think it'd also allow for a huge paradigm shift.

Also, Panther's not too bad an idea either, but I'm worried about the complexity of a bipedal walker and getting an insufficient roll, at least in regards to Operation: Getdatfuggenoilrigbuilt. That, and we're ultimately bringing a light tank into battle after we've developed heavier, more durable machinery. When the enemy's armor outclasses the Panther's weaponry, it'll be best used for infantry warfare, but is probably going to be less effective for it's cost than our infantry already is. Also keep in mind all the explosives they're going to be using around our delicate chicken legs. I mean, you saw what the Ewoks did with some rocks, wood, and vines. Once again, not too bad an idea and still totally viable, but in terms of action economy I can see our enemies quickly reducing it's effectiveness.

Ninja'd by johiah, I do too!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: Iron Behemoths - Nogrania - Turn 5, Spring 1952
« Reply #483 on: March 26, 2018, 02:04:48 pm »

Spoiler: Spring (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Summer (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Fall (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Winter (click to show/hide)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: March 26, 2018, 02:33:43 pm »

Anyway, a list of ideas:

NAF-MAB-53 "Albatross" Airship – The Albatross is a perfected version of the Condor, a perfected version of the earlier Albatross. Firstly, the troublesome gasbags of the Condor have undergone a great changes. Whereas the old gas bags were made primarily out of expensive goldbeater skin (depleting most of Nogrania's ox intestine reserves) the new gasbags are made out of cotton fabric, impregnated with gelatin latex. This allows the gasbags to be lighter, cheaper and more easily replaced. We've also redesigned the interior structure, placing the gas cells further apart to prevent them from chafing against each other or support, and including vertical vent shafts that capture and eject escaping hydrogen.

Furthermore, we've upgraded the engines to our latest turbine engine, greatly improving thrust and lifting capability. As one last attempt to improve military capabilities, the Albatross includes a spy capsule, a small gondola that can be winched down to peek below cloud layers. This allows the airship to bomb targets while it remains unseen.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: Iron Behemoths - Nogrania - Turn 8, Winter 1952
« Reply #485 on: March 26, 2018, 02:35:18 pm »

Other News:
Does anyone even read this part?
I do!

As for what we can do for our design and selling stuff... anyone want to fix up the Condor so it's no longer a deathtrap (and we can drop bombs and paratroopers out of it from higher then the enemy helicopter can easily go) and see if we can sell that to the investors?

Edit : Oh, hey, ninjad.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 12:26:17 am by Happerry »
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: March 26, 2018, 02:49:53 pm »

We can just use an unarmed plane as a paratrooper transport.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: March 27, 2018, 04:46:53 am »

You know what, I'm not actually sure we do need that oil. I mean, we'd need more TC to use it, right? And we're already getting a special resource and some American ore- it's not like we don't have enough things to import. I'm going to vote for the Megamule.

RNM Megamule Transport Walker: (1) NUKE9.13

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: March 27, 2018, 05:03:37 am »

Personally, I'd like a variant of the Megamule that can have armour plates fitted for when it is being used as a troop transport. Even if it's just some applique armour. That way our infantry will have some margin of protection whilst on the move as well.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: Iron Behemoths - Nogrania - Turn 9, Spring 1953
« Reply #489 on: March 27, 2018, 05:37:01 am »

Hmm. Thing is, I question the effectiveness of just slapping some crude armour on it. Like, it would not be a vehicle ever meant to operate on the front lines.
...well, I guess it can't hurt too much to say the option exists to bolt on thin armour, for all the good it'll do.

RNM Megamule Transport Walker: The "Walker" technology developed by the military has caught the interest of the civilian sector. Whilst wheels are great for transporting things over roads, walkers have unique off-road capability- useful for transporting things through the underdeveloped wilds of Serouda. Meanwhile, the military despairs at their own lack of land transport- Drafts are great for moving small amounts at high speed, but if you want to move large numbers of troops or materiel, it's sled and pack horse time.
Thus this joint effort between military engineers and Royal Nogranian Motors* was born. The Megamule is a ten-legged walker, consisting of two sections; a cabin/engine section forwards, resting on four legs, and a large cargo area to the rear, resting on six (more widely spaced) legs. The engine is a powerful if conventional one capable of propelling the unarmoured vehicle at medium speeds. The cargo area is easily configurable to suit a variety of uses; it can hold a large container for moving regular cargo, a passenger section for moving troops, or a flatbed suitable for transporting other vehicles. For military uses, fittings exist to which thin armour can be attached, to provide a modicum of protection.
The Megamule is designed to carry substantially larger loads than the Wallace Truck, and although it is not expected to be as fast, the off-road utility should make it an overall upgrade in terms of transport capacity. Not to mention the fact that it can be used by the military, enabling us to deploy and redeploy far faster than Toskesh.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: March 27, 2018, 05:58:18 am »

RNM Megamule Transport Walker: (2) NUKE9.13, Kashyyk

I realise that, my intention is mainly so that the troops might survive a near miss when their convoy gets strafed by helicopters.

frostgiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: March 27, 2018, 01:28:43 pm »

RNM Megamule Transport Walker: (3) NUKE9.13, Kashyyk, Frostgiant

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: March 27, 2018, 02:16:16 pm »

RNM Megamule Transport Walker: (4) NUKE9.13, Kashyyk, Frostgiant, MoP

This works if we aren't worried about the refinery. Might I also suggest adding a hitch on the back for dragging the occasional sled/cart/bundle of corpses? I don't think that'd increase difficulty, and even if there's the occasional difficulty involved with dragging things behind, it's a secondary feature that shouldn't impact our desired performance.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: March 27, 2018, 04:01:44 pm »

RNM Megamule Transport Walker: (5) NUKE9.13, Kashyyk, Frostgiant, MoP, Stabby

This works if we aren't worried about the refinery. Might I also suggest adding a hitch on the back for dragging the occasional sled/cart/bundle of corpses? I don't think that'd increase difficulty, and even if there's the occasional difficulty involved with dragging things behind, it's a secondary feature that shouldn't impact our desired performance.
The Mule Might actually be useful to investors as it basically a large upgradable APC when I'm guessing most nations don't currently have many things legally able to carry uniformed soldiers.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: Iron Behemoths - Nogrania - Turn 9, Spring 1953
« Reply #494 on: April 01, 2018, 01:10:28 am »

RNM Megamule Transport Walker: The "Walker" technology developed by the military has caught the interest of the civilian sector. Whilst wheels are great for transporting things over roads, walkers have unique off-road capability- useful for transporting things through the underdeveloped wilds of Serouda. Meanwhile, the military despairs at their own lack of land transport- Drafts are great for moving small amounts at high speed, but if you want to move large numbers of troops or materiel, it's sled and pack horse time.
Thus this joint effort between military engineers and Royal Nogranian Motors* was born. The Megamule is a ten-legged walker, consisting of two sections; a cabin/engine section forwards, resting on four legs, and a large cargo area to the rear, resting on six (more widely spaced) legs. The engine is a powerful if conventional one capable of propelling the unarmoured vehicle at medium speeds. The cargo area is easily configurable to suit a variety of uses; it can hold a large container for moving regular cargo, a passenger section for moving troops, or a flatbed suitable for transporting other vehicles. For military uses, fittings exist to which thin armour can be attached, to provide a modicum of protection.
The Megamule is designed to carry substantially larger loads than the Wallace Truck, and although it is not expected to be as fast, the off-road utility should make it an overall upgrade in terms of transport capacity. Not to mention the fact that it can be used by the military, enabling us to deploy and redeploy far faster than Toskesh.

Easy Difficulty: 2

The RNM Megamule Transport Walker is a ten-ton six-legged vehicle designed to take over the role of the Wallace Truck.  It's about as fast as the Wallace Truck (and due to the rather poor suspension in the truck, about as smooth a ride).  It can carry cargo - both standard oil and ore resources and military hardware - legally.  This is a huge boon to our logistics, and horse-drawn sleds are phased out almost overnight.  Passengers tend to develop "sea sickness" due to the rolling gait, but those who ride often enough acclimate over time.  The cargo area consists of a few metal poles and a canvas covering to keep the sun off.  Some tentative plans for an armored variant using Thin plating mountings were drawn up, but ultimately did not make the cut.  The Megamule is entirely unarmored and unarmed. 

As an added bonus, we finally figure out how to turn and move at the same time, though it's limited to wide arcs for the moment. 2 TC. 4 Ore, 3 Oil. [Cheap].
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 01:13:15 am by evictedSaint »
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 45