Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 45

Author Topic: Arms Race: Iron Behemoths - Nogrania - GAME OVER  (Read 52943 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: Iron Behemoths - Nogrania - Turn 9, Spring 1953
« Reply #450 on: March 23, 2018, 05:40:24 am »

We will progress if they've done nothing to improve their performance.

Which they probably have, an given our substellar design performance this turn...

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: March 23, 2018, 05:51:34 am »

You could say that about any front, the badlands isn't special.

You seem to be under the impression that the improvements we have made will win us the Fjords, where they have been successfully fighting us off, but not the Badlands, where we are equal. As our designs are equally relevant to both, it is logical to assume we would start winning the Badlands before the we would start winning the Fjords.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: March 23, 2018, 06:51:53 am »

You're ignoring the fact that we flipped the naval support in the Fjords. Last time we lost because of it, now we'll have it.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: March 23, 2018, 07:00:49 am »

If they've improved their Naval tech we'll lose it again.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: March 23, 2018, 07:11:46 am »

Nope.

The bonus depends on how much Sea Territory each side has at the start of the turn. So they can do nothing about it.Even if they take back the seas, that only happens next turn.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: March 23, 2018, 07:21:39 am »

Eastern Sea:
Nogrania 2/Toskesh 3

If that's the case, then we are still outputting less Naval bombardment than Tokesh will be this turn, as we still control less of the Sea.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: March 23, 2018, 07:28:57 am »

It doesn't work that way, IIRC

Each bit of Sea territory connects to a bit of Fjord. So, with sea as it is, we have firesupport in taking the first 1/3, while Tokesh will only have firesupport if we push further on ensuing turns.

You can see which conforms to which if you look at the map.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: March 23, 2018, 07:51:16 am »

Okay. I understand your point now.

However, I still prefer the chance to secure a whole region (and thus more EDT) over pushing further into a region that has no immediate economic benefit.

Quote from: Strategy
Invade :
[1] Sea : 10ebbor10
[2] Fjords : 10ebbor10, Kashyyk
[1] Badlands : Kashyyk

Showoff:
Hippo : 10ebbor10

UN defense :
10ebbor10

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: March 23, 2018, 08:26:36 am »

Invade :
[2] Sea : 10ebbor10, Stabby
[3] Fjords : 10ebbor10, Kashyyk, Stabby
[1] Badlands : Kashyyk

Showoff:
Hippo : 10ebbor10, Stabby

UN defense :
10ebbor10
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: March 23, 2018, 08:54:15 am »

Hmm. I think Kashyyk may have a point. Sure, they might have made advances this turn that put them ahead of us in the Badlands, but on the other hand, maybe they rolled snakeeyes? We were at parity there, and our (slightly) improved airforce and new anti-materiel rifles are not insignificant modifiers in our favour.

Obviously we want to attack the Fjords, as with naval dominance we should have a good chance of driving them back, depriving them of EDT points.

I can certainly see the argument in favour of the Sea, as unless they have developed something relevant there (which seems unlikely) we would presumably continue to make good progress. And we need to make more progress to take more than the first section of Fjords. However, the first section of Fjords is the most important, so I think the chance of recapturing the Badlands is more valuable than even more-or-less guaranteed naval progress.

With regards to what we show the investors, why the Hippo and not the Rhino? Isn't the Rhino better in every way but cost?

Attack:
[4] Fjords : 10ebbor10, Kashyyk, Stabby, NUKE9.13
[2] Badlands : Kashyyk, NUKE9.13

Showoff:
[2] Hippo : 10ebbor10, Stabby
[1] Rhino : NUKE9.13

UN Argument:
10ebbor10
Long Live United Forenia!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: March 24, 2018, 04:10:21 am »

On a side note, I know my literary genius is unparalleled, but it would be nice if some of you could also write a UN defense.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: March 24, 2018, 08:03:20 am »

So, assuming we hold the mountains this turn, and/or convince the investors to build the refinery, we will require more TC. Here is my suggestion for how to get some:

RNM Megamule Transport Walker: The "Walker" technology developed by the military has caught the interest of the civilian sector. Whilst wheels are great for transporting things over roads, walkers have unique off-road capability- useful for transporting things through the underdeveloped wilds of Serouda. Meanwhile, the military despairs at their own lack of land transport- Drafts are great for moving small amounts at high speed, but if you want to move large numbers of troops or materiel, it's sled and pack horse time.
Thus this joint effort between military engineers and Royal Nogranian Motors* was born. The Megamule is a ten-legged walker, consisting of two sections; a cabin/engine section forwards, resting on four legs, and a large cargo area to the rear, resting on six (more widely spaced) legs. The engine is a powerful if conventional one capable of propelling the unarmoured vehicle at medium speeds. The cargo area is easily configurable to suit a variety of uses; it can hold a large container for moving regular cargo, a passenger section for moving troops, or a flatbed suitable for transporting other vehicles. The Megamule is designed to carry substantially larger loads than the Wallace Truck, and although it is not expected to be as fast, the off-road utility should make it an overall upgrade in terms of transport capacity. Not to mention the fact that it can be used by the military, enabling us to deploy and redeploy far faster than Toskesh.

Just a first draft, suggestions are welcome. It doesn't use standard designations because it isn't strictly speaking a military vehicle, much like the Wallace Truck.
Long Live United Forenia!

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: March 24, 2018, 08:31:01 am »

Following on from that, the Geneva Conventions only bans armed planes. It explicitly mentions spotter planes as allowed, but it also permits transport planes for military use, usable for TC, paratroopers and airdrops. These would be relatively unimpeded as well, as No one has AA worth a damn and helicopters are not designed to intercept paratrooper planes.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: March 24, 2018, 10:20:45 pm »

Honestly both the arguments for the Badlands and the Sea both sounded convincing, but I think that our new infantry portable anti-vehicle weapon is an advantage we should push, because the lack of one of those was one of the big things hurting us in ground combat.
Attack:
[4] Fjords : 10ebbor10, Kashyyk, Stabby, NUKE9.13, Happerry
[3] Badlands : Kashyyk, NUKE9.13, Happerry

Showoff:
[2] Hippo : 10ebbor10, Stabby

UN Argument:
10ebbor10
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: March 24, 2018, 10:58:40 pm »

Attack:
[3] Sea : 10ebbor10, Stabby, MoP
[5] Fjords : 10ebbor10, Kashyyk, Stabby, NUKE9.13, Happerry, MoP
[3] Badlands : Kashyyk, NUKE9.13, Happerry

Showoff:
[3] Hippo : 10ebbor10, Stabby, MoP

UN Argument:
10ebbor10

EDIT: Accidentally hit post instead of preview, wanted to provide reasoning for my votes since two of them have brought us to ties: simply put, I want to push these guys more moves away from our capital. We've got enough distance on the other fronts that we can afford them trying to push the front back. This is doubly the case with the Sea, since the map makes it appear as though no matter how well we hold on the land they'd be able to launch an invasion from the sea. I'd like to at least hold them at a stalemate in the Sea and Fjord, let them contest the Badlands, and attack their Swamps from the Mountains.

Also, switched from Rhino to Hippo since it's been a few days, I've read a few other AR threads so my memory's fuzzy, and after looking up the differences between the two, found no evidence that the Rhino exists. I'm also tired and worked a 12 hour shift today, so I could be missing it. If it does exist and is generally better than the Hippo though, I'll slide my vote right back over.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 11:16:12 pm by Man of Paper »
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 45