Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 45

Author Topic: Arms Race: Iron Behemoths - Nogrania - GAME OVER  (Read 52949 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: Iron Behemoths - Nogrania - Turn 9, Spring 1953
« Reply #435 on: March 21, 2018, 05:30:17 pm »

I fully get how they banned that. From my understanding the force applied by the finger was effectively identical to just attaching a rubber band to the thing. Hence it is indistinguishable from just holding the trigger down with an automatic weapon.

Except you know, that's not indistinguishable at all.

You can not simply hold down the trigger.  The trigger is physically forced back into position,  and since humans are not pistons, that means a concious effort is required to push the trigger back to where it was.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: March 21, 2018, 05:36:58 pm »

Unfortunately the UN disagrees, and unless there's an appeal system there's not much we can do.

Either way, I don't think it's relevant to the Zealot. It does have a distinct action in the same way the Emu does. The only real difference is the "storing" of actions.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: March 21, 2018, 05:48:19 pm »

The only real difference is the "storing" of actions.

Which I'm certain will not work. I mean, if it did you could say thst the loading of the bullet is storing an action, letting every gun go free.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: March 21, 2018, 05:59:18 pm »

I'd say it's different, due to the spring storing energy put in by the user, which is then directly used to cycle the weapon. Conversely, loading a bullet into a magazine doesn't store any user-provided-energy.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: March 21, 2018, 06:15:30 pm »

A spring loaded magazine stores energy.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: March 21, 2018, 09:41:28 pm »

It's not used to cycle the weapon though. It also has the main effect of loading a round, whereas the Zealot has a distinct mechanism for charging with no other effects. It is clear that if a user works the charging mechanism they are intending to fire one additional round and are putting the activation in to do so.

Khang36

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: March 21, 2018, 10:53:26 pm »

I don't think the Vindicator will be a good idea since we are trying to ban fin stabilized munitions right now we are better off going for a recoilless rifle and depending on the caliber it can double as a light artillery piece.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: March 22, 2018, 03:08:06 pm »

NAF-AMR-53 "Kiwi" – An anti material semi-automatic variant of the Emu, the Kiwi is significantly lighter and more accurate than it's faster firing brother. Instead it's equipped with high power armor piercing rounds, allowing to be a viable anti light armor weapon even at considerable range.

It accomplishes this in several ways. First, the cranking mechanism and speed limiter from the Emu is removed completely, replaced by a far lighter and simpler semi-automatic trigger. Other adaptions that aided rapid fire such as various cooling improvements are also removed, as the weapon no longer has that capability. Fluting of the barrel reduces weight while improving heat dissipation, ensuring that despite the aforementioned reductions, the gun does not overheat.

In addition to these previous improvements, the tripod mount is replaced with a simpler, lighter bipod. It would have been too unstable for rapid fire, but that capability is no longer included.

The armor piercing 50 cal ammo uses a hardened steel alloy to keep production simple and cheap.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 03:13:07 pm by 10ebbor10 »

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: March 22, 2018, 09:14:08 pm »

NAF-AMR-53 "Kiwi" – An anti material semi-automatic variant of the Emu, the Kiwi is significantly lighter and more accurate than it's faster firing brother. Instead it's equipped with high power armor piercing rounds, allowing to be a viable anti light armor weapon even at considerable range.

It accomplishes this in several ways. First, the cranking mechanism and speed limiter from the Emu is removed completely, replaced by a far lighter and simpler semi-automatic trigger. Other adaptions that aided rapid fire such as various cooling improvements are also removed, as the weapon no longer has that capability. Fluting of the barrel reduces weight while improving heat dissipation, ensuring that despite the aforementioned reductions, the gun does not overheat.

In addition to these previous improvements, the tripod mount is replaced with a simpler, lighter bipod. It would have been too unstable for rapid fire, but that capability is no longer included.

The armor piercing 50 cal ammo uses a hardened steel alloy to keep production simple and cheap.

Easy Difficulty: 3

The NAF-AMR-53 "Kiwi" is a modified Emu for anti-armor performance.  The crank is removed and replaced with a normal trigger for semi-automatic fire.  The barrel is ridged to improve heat dissipation as well as removing a few ounces of weight, and a few other optional mountings (such as for water jackets and crank gearing) are likewise removed.  The feed is still set up for belt ammo, but is typically divided up into 10-round lengths to reduce crew size to one.  The tripod (as well as the locking mechanisms) are replaced with a simple bipod and a folding wire stock is bolted to the butt of the gun.  The end result is a .50 caliber heavy rifle that can be carried by a single soldier, though they will be unable to carry any other equipment without becoming over encumbered.   We "develop" armor-piercing ammunition; which is to say we make the bullets out of steel rather than lead.  The accuracy is surprisingly decent.  2 Ore.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: March 23, 2018, 02:44:07 am »

Quote from: Strategy
Invade :
Sea : 10ebbor10
Fjords : 10ebbor10

Showoff:
Hippo : 10ebbor10

UN defense :
10ebbor10

« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 03:09:03 am by 10ebbor10 »

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: March 23, 2018, 04:03:39 am »

Quote from: Strategy
Invade :
[2] Sea : 10ebbor10, Kashyyk
[1] Fjords : 10ebbor10
[1] Badlands : Kashyyk

Showoff:
Hippo : 10ebbor10

UN defense :
10ebbor10

I suggest taking back the Badlands, so that we can start getting more ED points. It was a literal coinflip last time, and we've now beefed up our heli's slightly and given our infantry anti-mat rifles. We should have the advantage here.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: March 23, 2018, 04:23:46 am »

That assumes the enemy made no imprvements though, which I doubt.

I fear they'll have improved their heli, so I rather focus on the Sea and Fjords. In the Fjords, the enemy won because of their naval support, which they've now lost. At sea, we already had the advantage.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: March 23, 2018, 04:32:21 am »

If they won the Fjords due to a naval advantage, surely they would've won the Seas due to a naval advantage?

Even if we make progress in both the Sea and Fjords, we don't gain any EDT, but they do. If we take back the Badlands, we start matching their EDT gain from the Mountains.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: March 23, 2018, 04:37:59 am »

Uh... we own the mountains.

And they won the fjords cos they held the seas; now that they do not hold the adjacent sea, we have the advantage.
Long Live United Forenia!

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: March 23, 2018, 04:42:12 am »

*squints*

...So we do. Either way, my point stands. We will progress in the badlands this turn, which will be enough to net us more EDT.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 45