Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 45

Author Topic: Arms Race: Iron Behemoths - Nogrania - GAME OVER  (Read 52915 times)

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
Re: Arms Race: Iron Behemoths - Nogrania - Turn 3, Autumn 1951
« Reply #120 on: January 10, 2018, 09:28:19 am »

Variable-sweep wing is still a fixed wing aircraft.

The rest is true, but they'll struggle to reach the altitude of an airship.
Are they?
rotocol V on Prohibitions or Restrictions on the Use of Fixed-Wing Aircraft prohibits the use of air-borne vehicles which use stationary wing planes as their primary method of generating lift for offensive military purposes.
They're not stationary.
Heck, at worst we can just make them move slightly through the whole flight. This way you're sure.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 10, 2018, 09:43:07 am »

If you use that definition of stationary, then flaps or ailerons would also make your plane a non-fixed wing.

I really want to avoid being hit by UN sanctions. (Also, I really want an airship. That motive is unrelated to the former).

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 10, 2018, 09:46:56 am »

Personally I want a helicarrier, but a zeppelin is a good stepping stone for now.

Benefits of a Zeppelin:
- Gives us 1 TC which will be immediately useful (lowering Paradigm to Expensive too) next turn if we keep mountains and badlands.

- Gives us bombing, which is really good when no side is combing with anything yet.

- Gives us turbo shafts, which would be immensely helpful for future helicopter designs.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Mandemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 10, 2018, 10:16:01 am »

If you use that definition of stationary, then flaps or ailerons would also make your plane a non-fixed wing.

I really want to avoid being hit by UN sanctions. (Also, I really want an airship. That motive is unrelated to the former).

Those are part of stationary wings, not wings themselves.

Personally I want a helicarrier, but a zeppelin is a good stepping stone for now.

Benefits of a Zeppelin:
- Gives us 1 TC which will be immediately useful (lowering Paradigm to Expensive too) next turn if we keep mountains and badlands.

- Gives us bombing, which is really good when no side is combing with anything yet.

- Gives us turbo shafts, which would be immensely helpful for future helicopter designs.

As a counter, benefits Battle Carbine:

-Gives us proper semi-auto rather than ad-hoc conversion with large external piston
-High rate of fire
-Cheap to produce
-Relatively easy to desing
-Lets us plug a weakness in our arsenal

I personally feel that an airship would be too expensive and without being armored ridig airship, far too easy to shoot down with some flak shells.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 10:18:43 am by Mandemon »
█████
█████
NOGRANIA SHALL NEVER DIE

Cannalan Pirate

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #124 on: January 10, 2018, 10:31:36 am »

They are non-fixed wings, but the primary lift still comes from fixed wing.
If you have a moving wing, then it's not fixed, and the primary lift comes from non-fixed wing, so that's perfectly legal.

Benefits of a Zeppelin:

The problem is that it's not a zeppelin. Zeppelins (except the modern day Zeppelin NT, but that's different story) mean full rigid airships, not semi-rigid airships. That's a first. Second, I believe that the Toskesh used a design on hovercraft and a revision on turboshafts to make them half-decent and not be a national-effort, which doesn't really make me optimistic for the cost and capabilities of the airship. I can be convinced to vote for an airship though, with few changes.
- Stop calling it a Zeppelin.
- Fix the mispellings. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
- Troop transport, no brainer really.
- Put some empty machinegun mounts (for the NMGs obviously) on them, perhaps one on each side of cockpit gondola and one on each side of payload gondola, although that depends on how they are mounted.
- Nothing better comes up.

Call it off, Mandemon told them we're going to make an airship. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 10:41:48 am by Kot »
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 10, 2018, 10:52:08 am »

They are non-fixed wings, but the primary lift still comes from fixed wing.

All depends on what the legalists understand with fixed.

In my understanding, a wing system where the movement is irrelevant to the creation of lift is a fixed wing system.

That said, I touched up the airship design a bit.

without being armored ridig airship

An armored airship will be weaker than an unarmored one. The armor is going to kill it's lifting capability without being strong enough to deal with any meaningful impacts.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 10, 2018, 10:52:53 am »

It was in the ICAR discord cesspit and played off to some degree so I honestly think we’re still fine going with an airship.
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 10, 2018, 10:54:44 am »

Call it off, Mandemon told them we're going to make an airship. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Accidentally, to be fair.

Anyway, even setting that aside, I'm not sold on the idea of an unarmoured, hydrogen-filled airship. Reading about the history of airships in combat does not fill me with confidence. Seems like they got shot down too often for them to be worth it.

The Rabid... is getting too close to the Conventions, I think. It remains one action for the user (apply pressure to the trigger), the fact that it is flicking back and forth doesn't change that enough, in my opinion. The crank is better, because it requires what is distinctly action on the part of the user.
Long Live United Forenia!

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #128 on: January 10, 2018, 10:57:22 am »

It was in the ICAR discord cesspit and played off to some degree so I honestly think we’re still fine going with an airship.
Lmao it's not played off. Nikola knows perfectly well that Cannalans are not going to make airships (probably, I can't say we could be so lucky), so the only other option was that it was in this game, and the wording itself was pretty obvious, since as far as I'm concerned, Cannalans do have bombs. The only hope would be if they thought we aren't going to make it, but at this point it's really a coin toss - either they act on it, believing we will not change our plan or won't act on it, believing we will.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: Iron Behemoths - Nogrania [NEW!]
« Reply #129 on: January 10, 2018, 10:59:37 am »

I still think an airship is better, but I’d rather this than a new gun considering our infantry already have semi-autos, even if they’re not as great as they could be.

Design: NAF-UH-51 "Draft"
The Utility Helicopter Draft is Nogrania's first helicopter, based off of existing helicopter designs from across the world. It uses a new turboshaft engine in order to provide sufficient reliable power for its operation. It has thin armor to allow it to land in hostile areas without someone shooting a pistol through the armor, killing the pilot; though we recommend that pilots don't try to land it in enemy-infested areas. The main cabin comes equipped with some simple tea-making facilities because we are not barbarians, thank you. Two machinegun-style mounts (of course empty FOR NOW) are put in place in doors to allow for some degree of self-defense/combat capability.

In order to serve its purpose, it's a relatively large helicopter - not huge, but enough to carry a decent amount of cargo. It comes equipped with mountings for cargo and people. The Draft is completely unarmed, though there's the possibility for soldiers to shoot out of the flying helicopter. The Draft should be used to transport goods [TC] and people.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 10:02:54 pm by Chiefwaffles »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 10, 2018, 11:04:04 am »

Anyway, even setting that aside, I'm not sold on the idea of an unarmoured, hydrogen-filled airship. Reading about the history of airships in combat does not fill me with confidence. Seems like they got shot down too often for them to be worth it.

They got shot down a lot in the beginning, when they flew so low that they could be hit by small arms, and near the end, when they got shot at a lot by planes and incendiary/explosive ammunition. With the absence of planes and the more advanced tech of late war zepellins, we can do quite well;

In addition, we're dealing with relaxed physics. I mean, we got walker tanks.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #131 on: January 10, 2018, 11:13:11 am »

In addition, we're dealing with relaxed physics. I mean, we got walker tanks.
Let's make a cyclogyro then.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 10, 2018, 11:14:10 am »

There's also the problem that it is dead-end tech. Nah, I prefer a copter.

Design
NAF-LAB-51 "Eagle" Airship (2): Chiefwaffles,10ebbor10
NAF-BC-51 "Rabid" (2): Mandemon, Kot
NAF-UH-51 "Draft": (1) NUKE9.13

Design Sold to America
Long Live United Forenia!

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #133 on: January 10, 2018, 12:04:46 pm »

NAF-LCSR-51 "Wolf" - Large Caliber Sniper Rifle "Wolf" is an bolt-action heavy rifle chambered in .50 LCR, which may or may not have been ripped off from .50 BMG. The rifle features a 5 round magazine, a muzzle brake, relatively simple fixed 3.5x magnification scope with windage and range knobs, and a bipod. It's primary intended use is destroying the weakpoints of enemy hovercraft such as it's skirts, fans and engine, but it can also be used in anti-infantry roles. Due to being relatively big and heavy it's mobility is enhanced by introducing back the concept of cavalry, or rather, mounted infantry. The mounted soldiers will use their horses to quickly deploy along the frontline or support assaults with their heavy rifles.
It's barrel can be used to hang a kettle over a fire to brew tea.
Design
NAF-BC-51 "Rabid" (1): Mandemon
NAF-UH-51 "Draft" (1): NUKE9.13
NAF-LCSR-51 "Wolf" (1): Kot
Design Sold to America
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 09:28:01 am by Kot »

Sosoku234

• Bay Watcher
  • Shiny and chrome!
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 10, 2018, 12:33:59 pm »

NAF-MAB-51 "Lead Pipe" - A small, two man mortar with a 60mm bore. It is constructed of half inch steel pipe and uses an external bipod and baseplate. With the tube, plate, and bipod, it weights a total of 136 pounds. It fires a mechanically timed high explosive round. Meant as a quick-deploy, anti-infantry weapon to be used in a squad.

NNF-SS-51 "Scorpion"-class Submarine - Our first submersible craft. Designed to go to 150m underwater with a surface speed of 12 knots and an underwater speed of 8 knots. It will have two forward facing torpedo tubes. The boat is 32.2m with a displacement of 207 long tons when submerged. The crew complement is 11 crew members. It it meant to hunt Toskesh's shipping lanes and/or bring down ships in the eastern sea. It has room for two boilers set aside for tea. And has a stowage bay for kegs of alcoholic beverages.

Design
NAF-BC-51 "Rabid" (1): Mandemon
NAF-UH-51 "Draft" (1): NUKE9.13
NAF-LCSR-51 "Wolf" (1): Kot
NAF-SS-51 "Scorpion"-class submarine(1): Sosoku234
Design Sold to America
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 04:36:22 pm by Sosoku234 »
Monster stowage inventory running low. Starting #2 Monster Pump, filling #4 Monster tank, via #2a Demonizer.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 45