Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 41

Author Topic: Arms Race: Iron Behemoths - Toskesh - GAME OVER  (Read 47302 times)

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: Iron Behemoths - Toskesh - Turn 3, Autumn 1951
« Reply #180 on: January 17, 2018, 03:09:49 pm »

"All tubes can be fired at once"
Does that break the no automatic fire geneva convention?

I was unclear, sorry.  It can fire the tubes all at once, one-at-a-time, without having to stop and reload. Akin to this , but slower.

Wizgrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: January 17, 2018, 04:20:47 pm »

The “Jin Na” SMRL (Shoulder Mounted Rocket Launcher) consists in a scaled down version of the previous Type-51w 'Huā zi' MRRL. It follows its main design philosophy, adapting it into an infantry weapon. It resembles a 1 meter-long tube, with a handle and a trigger protected by a trigger guard.  The trigger activates a magneto sparker, which ignites the 105 mm rocket inside it, shooting the weapon up to 900 m forward, with 400 m as its maximum effective range. It is muzzle loaded.

Toskhesian engineers have prioritized safety and accuracy, adding fins to the rocket to stabilize its flight and sights to help the wearer aim. The monumental heat wave expelled by the design has not been a prioritized point to correct in the design, as it will not impair our infantry use for the weapon as long as someone doesn´t stand right behind the shooter.

Okay it is done. Consider my vote for it. Although I don´t have many hopes for big cards coming to bless this revision.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 17, 2018, 04:32:36 pm »

Quote from: Votebox
Type 52 Hua Zi Single Role RL (1): Thanatos Russ
“Jin Na” SMRL (2): Wizgrot, Taricus
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Pavellius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: January 17, 2018, 04:33:48 pm »

Type 52 Hua Zi Single Role RL (1): Thanatos Russ
“Jin Na” SMRL (3): Wizgrot, Taricus, Pavellius

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 18, 2018, 01:42:25 am »

The “Jin Na” SMRL (Shoulder Mounted Rocket Launcher) consists in a scaled down version of the previous Type-51w 'Huā zi' MRRL. It follows its main design philosophy, adapting it into an infantry weapon. It resembles a 1 meter-long tube, with a handle and a trigger protected by a trigger guard.  The trigger activates a magneto sparker, which ignites the 105 mm rocket inside it, shooting the weapon up to 900 m forward, with 400 m as its maximum effective range. It is muzzle loaded.

Toskhesian engineers have prioritized safety and accuracy, adding fins to the rocket to stabilize its flight and sights to help the wearer aim. The monumental heat wave expelled by the design has not been a prioritized point to correct in the design, as it will not impair our infantry use for the weapon as long as someone doesn´t stand right behind the shooter.

Hard Difficulty: 1

The “Jin Na” SMRL is our first attempt at a shoulder-fired anti-tank rocket, a larger rocket than any of our previous rockets, and quite literally the largest shoulder-fired anti-anything rocket in the world - at least for another 30 years.  It is named in loving memory of our gone-but-not-forgotten hero Jin Na, but unfortunately fails to live up to its Hippo-killing namesake.  First and foremost, the SMRL is a meter-long steel tube that is muzzle-loaded with a massive 105 mm rocket.  The warhead actually doesn't fit inside the tube but instead pokes out like the head of a lollipop with an intertia-triggered graze-fuze on the end, kept in safety mode by a small wire pin.  The tube itself isn't all that wide; the cordite propellant is actually necked down quite a bit from the High-Explosive warhead.  The planned magneto sparkler doesn't quite work; it frequently fails to fire, either due to faulty spark-gaps or some other unknown issue.  Furthermore, with the tight fit between the propellant charge and the tube we don't have any place to afix stabilizing fins.  This means that accuracy is terrible and the rocket will frequently cork-screw off in random directions.  Lastly, the ratio of thrust to weight isn't quite high enough.  Successful firings result in a heavy drop-off, requiring the user to fire it upwards to compensate. 

Overall the weapon is quite useless.  Perhaps with a bit more work it could be a functional anti-tank rocket, but for the time being our soldiers refuse to use it since it's more likely to miss and blow up an allied position than actually take out the target. 1 Ore, 1 Oil.

It is now the Strategy Phase.  Please select where you would like to push this year, where you wish to deploy your National Effort designs and heroes, whether you will accept the USSR's deal, and whether you wish to contact the United Nations for an Article Violation.

Because some people have asked:
On the topic of visiting the U.N. to protest violations of the Geneva Conventions.
You will vote during strategy phase whether or not to accuse the other side of violating the conventions.  There must be a 75% majority of those who voted to accuse - if that vote passes, then the Combat Phase will include a segment setting up the trial.  Both sides have until the next turn to set up their argument on whether or not the specific weapon violates one or more Articles.  That turn will then start with the U.N. ruling, and if they rule it a violation then the guilty side will have some penalty and be unable to use that weapon that turn. 

It basically takes 6 months to have a weapon declared illegal, which is an unfortunate product of how the game design works.  Alternatively we could have inter-combat phase trials, but I felt that would slow the game down too much.  If someone has an alternative idea for how to handle this aspect, please let me know!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: January 18, 2018, 01:46:50 am »

An alternative idea is a UN suspension of the use of a weapon in question until the trial is sorted out, basically preventing a side from using a weapon that's going to trial. While this MAY increase the incidences of false accusations the UN could likely start making the accuser paying out of their pocket if too many frivolous cases reach them.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 18, 2018, 01:33:11 pm »

An alternative idea is a UN suspension of the use of a weapon in question until the trial is sorted out, basically preventing a side from using a weapon that's going to trial. While this MAY increase the incidences of false accusations the UN could likely start making the accuser paying out of their pocket if too many frivolous cases reach them.

+1
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

Pavellius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 18, 2018, 02:17:32 pm »

+1
+1

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: January 18, 2018, 02:58:19 pm »

Would that not deprives us of the option to ignore a U.N. ban? I mean, sure, it says that bans are always terrible, but if you can just hold out for one turn it might mean the game...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: January 18, 2018, 03:24:27 pm »

+1
+1

I feel as though this is too easy to abuse. As soon as you gain one foothold in the enemy's home territory, why not decry their entire arsenal as illegal? All their weapons are then temporarily banned, but the eventual backlash doesn't matter since you will win in two turns.

You guys need to vote on your strategy, by the way.

Wizgrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: January 18, 2018, 04:32:38 pm »

Well, it depends on the UN decision to actually concede a temporal ban or not. I believe that, with all the data we have collected and the fact that the fucking thing looks like a machine gun, that the UN has grant us that. Also, in fluff terms, a popular celebrity (Jin Na) of our country has dies to those weapons. I believe we will advertise it to the world as a war crime, giving a face to the crime commited an impulsing the UN to take action. Also, it needs to make a show of strength to show the two world superpowers how are making nuclear tests (USA and SU) that messing with them is a serious mistake.

It´s your choice if the UN deems the ban of the weapon a pressing issue or not. I believe, that, in this case, it is pretty much justified, for the reasons stated above. Why not don´t you ask the other team why wouldn´t the UN preemptively ban their weapon and see what they cook up fluff-wise? Then you have more material to make an in-setting decision.

Also, does the rule where we can use salvaged equipment of the enemy to use as research still hold up? Because having an helicopter to base off ours would be nice.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 18, 2018, 04:39:43 pm »

... I suppose there is an argument that the "action" is rotation so the mechanism must completely cease rotation between shots in order to invoke multiple actions.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Wizgrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: January 18, 2018, 05:24:01 pm »

The Russian Solution

Our Soviet Comrades have requested us to show our commitment for the Marxist cause. They say they will offer us large shipments of ore to feed our war industry if we arrest our wealthy citizens and redistribute our wealth to the proletariat. Of course, it is against the very spirit of our legal system to arrest law-abiding citizens and confiscate their property, so we won´t do any action of that sort.
To preserve the reputation of our courtrooms, I find necessary for the High Council to start recollecting evidence of a Capitalist Conspiracy that has plotted behind the scenes to hinder the war effort to receive comfy seats on the future colonial government by the Nogranian oppressors. If everything goes as planned, the Toskhesian Intelligence Central should have a strong case by the week or so. This would be enough to arrest them and nationalize their properties.

I believe that we should do a careful background check of the members of the Conspiracy to see which ones might be useful to the nation. Lazy landowners and other idle rich shall be either executed or put into forced labor for their treason, but we shall find a comfy job for those that “were tragically extorted into doing such crimes” in their previous field of experience, provided they showed previous competency at those and are willing to work hard for the good of the nation.

As a conspiracy involving only the wealthy is pretty suspicious, I suggest we include some traitors of the Army and other branches of the Administration in it. We shall look for the incompetent and the disloyal, kill the incompetent and show the disloyal they can be next if they don´t exhibit exemplary behavior. This way, we will have a good justification to purge idiots in our system and reinforce discipline.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 18, 2018, 10:06:18 pm »

Right, so I posted this on Discord, but here's my thoughts:
If I was them, I'd keep that hero on the Badlands, to keep that economic progress needed to get +1 Ore secured. We didn't really make any progress in offensive warfare, so uh... We aren't winning there, I'd think... And we aren't making progress on the mountains. So, as such, Fjords/Sea? Naval control would help out with defending the fjords (not much, to be fair, but some), and it is a zone that could potentially give us economic progress once we claim it fully.... And really, we have a much better shot here than the Badlands or Mountains (Not sure how much the rockets will help out there, but surely it'd be enough to break the parity between our ships in our favor?)...

Mountains
Badlands
Fjords (1): Jilladilla
Sea (1): Jilladilla

Take the Wictor to the UN?
Yes (1): Jilladilla
No

Russian Ore Deal?
Yes
No
'The Russian Solution' (1): Jilladilla