Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 41

Author Topic: Arms Race: Iron Behemoths - Toskesh - GAME OVER  (Read 47252 times)

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: Iron Behemoths - Toskesh - Turn 2
« Reply #135 on: January 11, 2018, 07:54:48 pm »

Type-51a Páoxiāo de léi shēng RGL
TLDR: The Páo-shē is a gas-delayed blow-forward, semi-automatic 25mm grenade launcher fed from a 10 round detachable box magazine. The RGL is designed to be man portable and is roughly the size of a light machine gun. The 25mm grenades are graze-fuzed, the fuze won't active for a short time after firing to help prevent the user from killing himself. It comes with a folding stock, foregrip, and a bipod. As a stretch goal it has a field conversion kit that can install a crank trigger and belt feed.

The Páo-shē repeating grenade launcher is designed to fill the void created by our inability to make use of machine guns. It's designed to fire a large volume of 25mm grenades to suppress and eliminate hostile forces. In order to avoid the use of a complex "high-low" system the RGL makes use of a gas-delayed blow-forward operation to maximize barrel length. Like all blow-forward system rather then the receiver moving the barrel instead move forward to cycle the gun. The gas delay is created by a chamber in front of the barrel's rear position.  When fired the gas from the round fills this chamber and, when combined with the force of the recoil spring to keep the action closed. Once the projectile leaves the weapon the gas can vent and the remaining recoil cycles the weapon. Thanks to being a blow-forward action the weapon only needs a very short receiver behind the barrel allowing the RGL to have a 650mm barrel with only a total 720mm length(sans stock).

It fires 25mm grenades with a graze fuze from a 10 round box magazine. The graze fuze is design to trigger the explosive charge on pretty much contact with any solid surface and, most importantly glancing hits on the ground. In order to reduce the likelihood of the user killing himself the fuze has a short delay before activating. It's fed from a 10 round double stack detachable box magazine located in front of the trigger guard. The weapon is semi-automatic and has recoil only slightly worst then our current bolt-action rifle. The muzzle velocity is lack-luster but, more then enough to give the weapon decent range and, an acceptable travel time. In order to keep it compact when not in use the weapon comes with a folding stock and, to improve control-ability it has a foregrip and bipod.

As a possible stretch goal the RGL has a static defense conversion kit. The kit works by removing the rear(stock, trigger group, receiver) of the weapon and replacing it. The replacement has a crank trigger and a belt feed. The feed works by a screw like feeder which removes the round from the belt and rotates it around until it pushes up on the magazine well. The crank trigger works in two way first it provides the power needed to remove the rounds from the belt. When trigger of the pistol grip in back of the new receiver is pressed it also fires the weapon about every 1/3 of a rotation. To complete the kit it also includes a heavy-duty tripod to anchor the weapon.

Hard Difficulty: 5

The Type-51a Páoxiāo de léi shēng RGL, other than having a frightful number of diacritical marks, is the first repeating grenade launcher in the world.

It fires 25 mm rounds out of a 10 round box magazine and comes with a solid wooden stock and a foregrip, with optional bipod.  It is a semi-automatic launcher with a blow-forward system that moves the entire barrel forward (as opposed to the bolt) and the rounds feature inertia-activated graze-fuze detonators, with a half-second arming fuze.  The Páo-shē can be easily converted into a stationary emplacement with a tripod and belt-fed magazine.  Effective range can reach out to 300 meters.

A number of issues are inherent with the Type-51a Páo-shē that simply part of the design.  The blow-forward system combined with the relatively large round size means recoil is high for the user, making rapid fire difficult to manage accurately.  This recoil makes a folding stock unfeasible, which is why the design uses a sturdier wooden stock for greater stability and accuracy.  But perhaps most importantly, the 25 mm round is - quite frankly - not a lot of explosive.  It will struggle to penetrate Thin (10 mm) armor - it can do it, especially with multiple hits in the same general, but this is stymied by the meager 10-round box magazine.  Furthermore, field testing shows that infantry are not particularly impressed with the Páo-shē as it is remarkably heavy, especially when the weight of the reloads are considered.  An infantryman will have to give up his Xi-52 Dài-I rifle to use the Páo-shē in the field, limiting his ability to fight in closer range.  The 25 mm explosive is still effective against enemy infantry, but for both the purposes of clearing large areas and defeating armor a much larger round would be preferred.

Functionality-wise, the Páo-shē has no issues with jamming or miss-fires, which is especially lucky considering live explosive rounds could get caught in the moving barrel.  It will be ideal for replacing machine-gun nests, and should do quite nicely in a static defensive role. 2 Ore.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: Iron Behemoths - Toskesh - Turn 3, Autumn 1951
« Reply #136 on: January 11, 2018, 08:12:15 pm »

A 25mm Round? You nutters, this thing was meant to be a 40mm Emplacement weapon >:C
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 08:14:49 pm by Taricus »
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 11, 2018, 08:46:21 pm »

A 25mm Round? You nutters, this thing was meant to be a 40mm Emplacement weapon >:C
The is an L.M.G. replacement. An autocannon version can come later...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 11, 2018, 09:31:52 pm »

Lets Focus on our Revision.
I am thinking of adding paoxiao onto our hovercraft

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 11, 2018, 09:54:27 pm »

Lets Focus on our Revision.
I am thinking of adding paoxiao onto our hovercraft
I like to think that some light armour panels and an extra thrust engine could be managed without breaking the bank...
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 11, 2018, 10:04:52 pm »

It's a little useless with such a small grenade, and the semi-automatic rifle does well enough against infantry.

English Phrasebooks
Taking advantage of the fact that neither side has encrypted radios, small information booklets are distributed with our radio sets, containing common english military phrases which we predict the enemy will use. This should allow us to home in on their channels and intercept exactly what they're doing.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Pavellius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 11, 2018, 10:52:48 pm »

Quote from: Revision Votes
English Phrasebooks (2): Taricus, Pavellius

Not sure if other posts are revisions or just suggestions for possible revisions  :-\

Thanatos Russ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 12, 2018, 02:34:13 am »

That was a solid invention. Will be very helpful when we need to develop Bolt Guns.

We now have a counter to their walkers that will be numerous enough to balance out the inherent weaknesses of the design. Overall it fulfills a solid purpose and will not need adjusting for a while.

Ehh, the phrasebooks doesn't seem that good.

Big version of belt fed grenade launcher 45 millimeter designed for defending hard points. Emplacements and stuff. Should be fairly simple since it's just scaled up by a lot.

Pavellius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 12, 2018, 12:16:01 pm »

English Phrasebooks (1): Taricus
Big version of belt fed grenade launcher (2): Thanatos Russ, Pavellius

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 12, 2018, 12:42:39 pm »

Big version of belt fed grenade launcher (3): Thanatos Russ, Pavellius, SC

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
  • Gonna one-up FoU - with an FG in my personal text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 12, 2018, 01:36:50 pm »

Big version of belt fed grenade launcher (3): Thanatos Russ, Pavellius, SC, Tomasque
The quantum cannonball hits you in the face and misses!
Money!
GENERATION grisha5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 12, 2018, 03:27:51 pm »

I can't help but think that the magazine for the 25 wouldn't work so well on the 45. I want to say belt-fed but... It is quite large for that?
Read the First Post!

Light forger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 12, 2018, 05:38:18 pm »

I don't think up-sizing the RGl is that great of an idea. First off it would likely be at least hard after all for a design increasing a weapon size by 100% is listed under hard for a design(I do accept that being a grenade launcher is would be easier then say, up-sizing a cannon). Second off I doubt it would have a longer range then their 50.8mm cannon, so they could just shell the RGL nests from afar. Also while the 25mm grenade probably have about 30-40% of the explosives of a 45mm the rate of fire/increase in ammo supply means we can easily fire at least twice as many grenades as a 45mm.

Some possible revisions

Guī-51a Transport
A quick and dirty conversion of the Dogbite to carry cargo by removing it's arms and armor. Really what more needs to be said?

RG-51a 'Yínghuǒchóng'
A bullet trap rifle grenade with a 45mm HEAT warhead. The bullet trap design means all the soldier needs to do is mount the rifle grenade on the muzzle of his rifle and fire. Although the recoil is quite harsh and uncomfortable. Comes with a special tangent sight that can be mounted on the rails of the Xi-52.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 06:53:33 pm by Light forger »

Thanatos Russ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 12, 2018, 06:50:51 pm »

Reminder that the ban on fixed wing weapon-bearing plane doesn't make a "slightly flapping winged weapon-bearing plane".

We could do a minor adjustment to our planes and make them technically not fixed wing.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 12, 2018, 07:20:52 pm »

English Phrasebooks (2): Taricus, Jilladilla
Big version of belt fed grenade launcher (3): Thanatos Russ, Pavellius, SC, Tomasque
[/quote]

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 41