Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 41

Author Topic: Arms Race: Iron Behemoths - Toskesh - GAME OVER  (Read 47260 times)

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: Iron Behemoths - Toskesh - Turn 8, Winter 1952
« Reply #345 on: February 23, 2018, 04:25:13 pm »

Quote from: Votebox
Xuá-Zhí 'Kèzhì' Update (Cheaper + Better Running Helicopter): (2) SC, detoxicated
Leaping Frog "Chuí rén
Xi-52 Yīfānfēngshùn Artillery Rocket: (4) SC, Pavellius, Taricus, Doomblade
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: February 23, 2018, 04:26:25 pm »

So. Let's do this.
Xuá-Zhí 'Kèzhì' Update (Cheaper + Better Running Helicopter): (2) SC, detoxicated
Leaping Frog "Chuí rén
Xi-52 Yīfānfēngshùn Artillery Rocket: (5) SC, Pavellius, Taricus, Doomblade, Jilladilla

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Wizgrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: February 23, 2018, 05:02:37 pm »

Leaping Frog "Chuí rén
Xi-52 Yīfānfēngshùn Artillery Rocket: (5) SC, Pavellius, Taricus, Jilladilla, Wizgrot
Xi-52 Yīfānfēngshùn Artillery Rocket Pattern B(1): Doomblade

Xi-52 Yīfānfēngshùn Artillery Rocket Pattern B:

Following the harrowing performance of the Xi-51w rockets - evident in their relatively low range compared to the enemy's own conventional artillery pieces, and it's low accuracy, reload times etc. the Tondeshe design board sought out to improve upon the original design. The rocket is made longer and wider, up to 1 meter long and 127 mm in diameter, increasing both its range and its payload. Flip-out fins are developed and integrated at the base and towards the middle of the rocket, as well as on the even less accurate anti-armor rocket fired by the 'Jin Na' SMRL Xi-52b, so as to improve upon both rocket's accuracy at range.

We have replaced the cordite propellant for a mix of liquid oxygen and refined kerosene as its fuel. The relatively slow ratio of burning of this fuel should allow the Red rocket to continue fly on an arch for a max range of 20km. In order to make up for the increase in the minimum range as well, we have made a modified warhead with rings layered around it to impose air resistance and allow it to fly more arched (reducing minimum range). All warheads can be screwed and then locked to the rockets bodies in situ, allowing to change ammo type on demand (although crews always have enough rockets armed and ready to launch). This system should also allow to further develop our warhead variety without taking a lot of space.

Said fins are relatively long and located at the rear and middle of the Yīfānfēngshùn body in order to have a gliding effect that extends its range, while the ones on the Xi-52b are made so as to give the rocket a more stable, straight flight for as long as possible. MMRLs firing the Yīfānfēngshùn are outfitted with 20 rocket tubes arranged in a 4x5 rectangular pattern with new loading brackets to decrease loading times.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 06:36:20 am by Wizgrot »

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: February 24, 2018, 10:27:25 pm »

Xi-52 Yīfānfēngshùn Artillery Rocket
Following the harrowing performance of the Xi-51w rockets - evident in their relatively low range compared to the enemy's own conventional artillery pieces, and it's low accuracy, reload times etc. the Tondeshe design board sought out to improve upon the original design. The rocket is made longer and wider, up to 1 meter long and 127 mm in diameter, increasing both its range and its payload. Flip-out fins are developed and six are integrated at the base and towards the middle of the rocket, as well as on the anti-armor rocket fired by the 'Jin Na' SMRL Xi-52b, so as to improve upon both rockets' accuracy. Said fins are relatively long and located at the rear and middle of the Yīfānfēngshùn body in order to have a gliding effect that extends its range, with three dedicated drag fins which can be set to 'on' and 'off' en masse in a bracket to change the rocket's trajectory and allow for a more sloped descent, while the ones on the Xi-52b are made so as to give the rocket a more stable, straight flight for as long as possible. MMRLs firing the Yīfānfēngshùn are outfitted with 20 rocket tubes arranged in a 4x5 rectangular pattern with new loading brackets to decrease loading times. Each rocket is slowly spun by rifling in its tube as it exits, which along with its primary fin stabilization keeps it on course. This should additionally help the accuracy of shoulder-mounted launchers and artillery pieces alike.

Normal Difficulty: 2

We develop the Xi-52 Yīfānfēngshùn Artillery Rocket this year, which increases the effectiveness of both our MRRL's and our SMRL's.  Fold-out fins are easy enough, and we can easily design and integrate them into all our existing rockets.  This dramatically improves the Jin Na, making the RPG reliable enough that it will almost invariably hit its target, if aimed correctly.  It also improves the range of the Xi-51w rockets a small amount, but more importantly it tightens up the barrage area for more precise attacks.  The barrels on the MRRL and SMRL are also given rifling, which should spin the rockets and help stabilize their flight.  The MRRL rockets also now come with drag fins to decrease minimum range, but each rocket must have the fins engaged 'on' and 'off' individually.  The bracket size is increased from 8 to 20 for the field and ship mountings, but the Qi-Chu doesn't have room for the larger bracket and must make do with the 8 tube variant.

We did not have the time to integrate a whole-bracket reloading system.  Developing flight characteristics for the larger 127 mm rockets was also delayed and sadly not developed.  1 Ore, 3 Oil.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: Iron Behemoths - Toskesh - Turn 7, Autumn 1952
« Reply #349 on: February 25, 2018, 02:48:14 am »

Quote from: Strategy Box
Attack
Mountain: (1) SC
Badlands: (1) SC
Jungle:
Sea:

Hero Deployment for Commander Zhao De
Zhao De stays at Sea:
Zhao De goes to the Mountains;
Zhao de goes to the Badlands: (1) SC

Deploy  Xi-52 Xīwàng Xuá-Zhí Helicopter Gunship? (This is a more difficult question compared to the previous one, because the enemy might perform some meddling against us)
Yes:
No: (1) SC

Thanik

• Bay Watcher
  • I'd rather be a rising ape than a falling angel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: February 25, 2018, 02:49:57 am »

Attack
Mountain: (2) SC, Thanik
Badlands: (2) SC, Thanik
Jungle:
Sea:

Zhao De stays at Sea:
Zhao de goes to the Badlands: (2) SC, Thanik

Deploy  Xi-52 Xīwàng Xuá-Zhí Helicopter Gunship? (This is a more difficult question compared to the previous one, because the enemy might perform some meddling against us)
Yes: (0)
No: (2) SC, Thanik
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 02:52:09 am by Thanik »
Noble Nafuni Engineer

Wizgrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: February 25, 2018, 06:08:33 am »

Attack
Mountain: (3) SC, Thanik, Wizgrot
Badlands: (3) SC, Thanik, Wizgrot
Jungle:
Sea:

Zhao De stays at Sea:(1) Wizgrot
Zhao de goes to the Badlands: (2) SC, Thanik

Yes: (1) Wizgrot

We need to make use of the heli if we truly want to advance on the fronts. And if we want to have some hope of regaining the sea, we need Commander Zhao there.

Not deploying functioning designs will only hurt the war effort. What is even the reason to not deploy it?

Either:

1-We deploy it and it functions well, helping the fronts advance. The enemy may deploy a counter next turn, but the design has achieved its goal.

2- We deploy it and it is ineffective. The enemy doesn´t develop a counter and we can field test it to see its most glaring fails.

Not deploying can only fuck the war effort. I understand in the case of the Hippo, which was NE and it wouldn´t really do anything, but we are talking of a VE assault heli here. I severely doubt we cannot find a use for that thing., no matter what the enemy fields against us. Also, we already know their first design was shit (somebody run their mouth in the Discord) so I say we go for the throat.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 09:49:59 am by Wizgrot »

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: February 25, 2018, 09:57:03 am »

Attack
Jungle:
Sea:

Zhao de goes to the Badlands: (2) SC, Thanik, Blood_Librarian

Yes: (1) Wizgrot, Blood_Librarian
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: February 25, 2018, 10:08:26 am »

Attack
Jungle:
Sea:

Zhao de goes to the Badlands: (3) SC, Thanik, Blood_Librarian

Yes: (3) Wizgrot, Blood_Librarian, SC
No: (1) Thanik

You convinced me

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: February 25, 2018, 04:55:28 pm »

Helicopter isn't quite ready yet, it's just a little too shit. It's fragile, it doesn't have an impressive armament, winds will knock it out of the sky and so on. Soon though, it'll be ready soon. But not yet.
Attack
Mountain: (4) SC, Thanik, Wizgrot, Jilladilla
Badlands: (4) SC, Thanik, Wizgrot, Jilladilla
Jungle:
Sea:

Zhao De goes to the Badlands: (3) SC, Thanik, Blood_Librarian
Zhao De goes to the Fjords: (1) Jilladilla

No: (2) Thanik, Jilladilla

Glory to United Forenia!

Pavellius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: February 25, 2018, 11:42:36 pm »

I hate to tie things up, but I don't think we should deploy our heli. Admittedly, the downside of this is the loss of potential air support. But frankly, we wouldn't be missing out on a lot, given our copter's fragility and poor firepower. And winter winds will ground it in the mountains and (possibly) the badlands anyway. Since Nogrania's design went poorly, I think we'll do well with just the rocket revision (which I think was a huge improvement, since inaccuracy used to be the rocket's greatest weakness).

The advantage to keeping the heli secret outweighs the mentioned disadvantage. We'll have time to perfect it without the enemy having the info to build a counter-weapon, and their lack of preparation will be their weakness when we eventually deploy our superior helicopter.

Also, since I haven't seen any proposals for a name for our helicopter if we make it secret, I'll propose my own: Suànpán, meaning "abacus." I think this a good name, because it has nothing to do with helicopters (and it might trick foolish Nogranian into thinking we are building computers).

Attack
Mountain: (5) SC, Thanik, Wizgrot, Jilladilla, Pavellius
Badlands: (5) SC, Thanik, Wizgrot, Jilladilla, Pavellius
Jungle:
Sea:

Zhao De goes to the Badlands: (4) SC, Thanik, Blood_Librarian, Pavellius

No: (3) Thanik, Jilladilla, Pavellius
Secret project name
Project Suànpán: (1) Pavellius

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: February 25, 2018, 11:49:43 pm »

Attack
Mountain: (5) SC, Thanik, Wizgrot, Jilladilla, Pavellius
Badlands: (5) SC, Thanik, Wizgrot, Jilladilla, Pavellius
Jungle:
Sea:

Zhao De goes to the Badlands: (4) SC, Thanik, Blood_Librarian, Pavellius

No: (4) Thanik, Jilladilla, Pavellius, Doomblade
Secret project name

I agree with Pavelius's logic.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: February 26, 2018, 06:49:58 am »

Attack
Mountain: (6) SC, Thanik, Wizgrot, Jilladilla, Pavellius, NAV
Badlands: (6) SC, Thanik, Wizgrot, Jilladilla, Pavellius, NAV
Jungle:
Sea:

Zhao De goes to the Badlands: (5) SC, Thanik, Blood_Librarian, Pavellius, NAV

Yes: (4) Wizgrot, Blood_Librarian, SC, NAV
No: (4) Thanik, Jilladilla, Pavellius, Doomblade
Secret project name

I think we should deploy the helicopter because it easily could be the minor advantage we need to tip the scales and advance.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: February 26, 2018, 06:53:54 am »

I think we should deploy the helicopter because it easily could be the minor advantage we need to tip the scales and advance.

It won't do a thing in the Mountains, Winter winds are very harsh there. The copter will be grounded. And we were already advancing in the Badlands. Against hostile Hero Support even!

Glory to United Forenia!

Wizgrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: February 26, 2018, 09:21:20 am »

Having the heli in the report will permit eS to highlight the flaws with the design, pointing design flaws that we might not have thought of. Think of it a sort of field-test. Also, we don´t know what the Nogranian imperialists have cooked up against us. If they make a functioning design to repel us from the Badlands, the assault might turn out badly for our hero. Let´s just try to make Commander Zhao live for a bit.I have not yet recovered from Corporal Jin Na.

Also, although winds are harsh in the mountains, sporadic use of the heli is better than nothing and I must remind you that our model uses a more powerful engine than theirs i.e. will be able to take off in harsher circunstances. That might give us the edge we need to win in the mountains, where our rockets won´t be as effective as their artillery.

Just think that if it performs badly it really won´t matter at all and if does well they will spend a design action making a counter anyway. Not deploying it  because "it is not ready" could probably cost us this war. No mater if it is a buggy mess, barring NE status you should always deploy what you have rolled this turn.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 41