Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 17

Author Topic: Sorcerers @ War - OOC & Fluff  (Read 20266 times)

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sorcerers @ War - OOC & Fluff
« Reply #195 on: January 08, 2018, 04:33:09 am »

Tiny question from the many questions on the forum: How do territories get involved with factions? For example, giving my starting scenario, factions already control my outer lands other than my capital {Who has..."Faction: Capital"}. When one colonizes a new territory, is it instantaneously given to a faction, or do we get to choose (if ever) on what faction gets it, thus earning a nice +1 approval?

It's instantaneously assigned, but you can choose to override that, pleasing the new faction and annoying the old one.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: January 08, 2018, 04:36:27 am »

Tiny question from the many questions on the forum: How do territories get involved with factions? For example, giving my starting scenario, factions already control my outer lands other than my capital {Who has..."Faction: Capital"}. When one colonizes a new territory, is it instantaneously given to a faction, or do we get to choose (if ever) on what faction gets it, thus earning a nice +1 approval?

It's instantaneously assigned, but you can choose to override that, pleasing the new faction and annoying the old one.
Can we override that when we issue the colonization order? :P Because it seems like it'll always go to Aristocrats/Nobles as the colonization = 100 people.
Edoot: Thanks for the answer in discord :X It appears we can build buildings in the colonized territory while planning, so that determines what faction gets it. Harrumpf!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 04:38:12 am by Tiruin »

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 08, 2018, 05:15:20 am »

Can we override that when we issue the colonization order? :P Because it seems like it'll always go to Aristocrats/Nobles as the colonization = 100 people.
Edoot: Thanks for the answer in discord :X It appears we can build buildings in the colonized territory while planning, so that determines what faction gets it. Harrumpf!

When conditions change sufficiently, territories are automatically reassigned.  For instance, large enough towns will usually convert to Burgher ownership.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: January 09, 2018, 08:41:36 am »

Hey Iituem, can we have a bit of a further explanation of the math behind how combat works? I was hoping that an actual combat would clear up my questions about it, but it has indeed done nothing of the sort. As is, I feel like I can't really make any unit comparisons, because all the numbers are meaningless if I don't know what they do.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: January 09, 2018, 09:54:27 am »

Iiteum, regarding food logistics: Can we set certain territories to EXPORT their food to the adjacent ones when they have more than enough rather than setting a direct line of 'this imports from this'? That would make an easy mechanical option. c:

Somehow the thought hit me for exporter, territories which allow passage from exporters to certain areas around them, and importers...

Anyway, on tariffs, does the taxes come from the other player, or out of nowhere as bonus cash?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 10:13:10 am by Tiruin »

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: January 09, 2018, 10:41:13 am »

Hey Iituem, can we have a bit of a further explanation of the math behind how combat works? I was hoping that an actual combat would clear up my questions about it, but it has indeed done nothing of the sort. As is, I feel like I can't really make any unit comparisons, because all the numbers are meaningless if I don't know what they do.

I'll write-up a full Under the Hood for this, but not today, this may require some length.

Iiteum, regarding food logistics: Can we set certain territories to EXPORT their food to the adjacent ones when they have more than enough rather than setting a direct line of 'this imports from this'? That would make an easy mechanical option. c:

Somehow the thought hit me for exporter, territories which allow passage from exporters to certain areas around them, and importers...

Anyway, on tariffs, does the taxes come from the other player, or out of nowhere as bonus cash?

No nation currently has the logistics to 'chain' food exports over more than 1 territory's distance outside of the Grain Market - most food just goes off.  You'd need to research something like refrigeration.  I did consider the idea of chained exporters and rejected it for the deliberate intention of limiting city size in the early game.

Money only appears ex nihilo from urban pops (and then it's reflective of created wealth and value).  Tarriffs are extracted at both ends from your province population; goods producers get paid a little less exporting out of the nation, goods purchasers pay a little more importing.  Of course, since the Treasury takes a larger cut on both sides, it's a net positive from a player perspective.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: January 09, 2018, 01:08:53 pm »

No nation currently has the logistics to 'chain' food exports over more than 1 territory's distance outside of the Grain Market - most food just goes off.  You'd need to research something like refrigeration.  I did consider the idea of chained exporters and rejected it for the deliberate intention of limiting city size in the early game.

Money only appears ex nihilo from urban pops (and then it's reflective of created wealth and value).  Tarriffs are extracted at both ends from your province population; goods producers get paid a little less exporting out of the nation, goods purchasers pay a little more importing.  Of course, since the Treasury takes a larger cut on both sides, it's a net positive from a player perspective.
Whaaaat if I do a chain that makes it organized? :D

Like, Village A, to Market town B, to Bigger town C. A sends to B sends to C. Since all is computed in the same, only the exports of the prior one matter to the other, but the middleman gets filled up so that it won't really starve out and- wait I just realized that's a bad idea beacause B sending its exports to C, but receiving from A, will just sell off what comes from A.

I'm sleepy and it is 2am, but I am thankful for the responses. This ruins my plans for my capital though, because a food chain of logistics is what should prop up its urban populace. I am grumpy. :'(

May I ask if my first second paragraph above is correct?

Of course, since the Treasury takes a larger cut on both sides, it's a net positive from a player perspective.

Query on that province purse things--there's a mention in the manuel about spending with benefits on stuff by factions. Does it only apply to territories that faction actually covers and governs? I'd assume a yes, but my reading comprehension back then until now wasn't that directly certain. Thank you ahead for this! :))

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 09, 2018, 03:41:51 pm »

« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 03:54:14 pm by Shadowclaw777 »

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: January 09, 2018, 04:22:09 pm »

I think the answers here can be public.

Doomed and non-doomed races both started with broadly equal armies.  One race had very high-cost units, so I reduced their unit size from 500 to 250 and also dropped their starting units from 4 units to 3 units because it would have set them into crippling negative income from Turn 0.  Most, however, started with some variation on two light infantry, one spearmen and one skirmisher.  Most.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: January 09, 2018, 08:55:06 pm »

New Rule in answer to questioning on Discord:

ARMY MOVEMENT AND PATROL ARMIES

Army movement is divided into (at base) four 'ticks'.  Infantry move on ticks 2 and 4, Cavalry moves on ticks 1, 2, and 3, and Fliers move on all four.  (Subdivide again for roads and extremely fast units.)  When hostile armies move, they can cross paths by entering (or being in) the same territory on the same tick.
If you are seeking to defend your territory, you can also set an Army to patrol.  Patrolling armies remain in a province, but will move to attack any hostile armies that enter home territory within the army's move range.  When multiple hostiles enter a territory within range, patrol armies will generally tackle the largest army (or the most powerful - they would prioritise a single fire drake over three thousand gremlins).  Obviously, if an Army has used up Move during the turn either by gettting into position or intercepting enemy forces, they necessarily have reduced movement range for patrolling.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: January 09, 2018, 09:42:38 pm »

New Rule in answer to questioning on Discord:

ARMY MOVEMENT AND PATROL ARMIES

Army movement is divided into (at base) four 'ticks'.  Infantry move on ticks 2 and 4, Cavalry moves on ticks 1, 2, and 3, and Fliers move on all four.  (Subdivide again for roads and extremely fast units.)  When hostile armies move, they can cross paths by entering (or being in) the same territory on the same tick.
If you are seeking to defend your territory, you can also set an Army to patrol.  Patrolling armies remain in a province, but will move to attack any hostile armies that enter home territory within the army's move range.  When multiple hostiles enter a territory within range, patrol armies will generally tackle the largest army (or the most powerful - they would prioritise a single fire drake over three thousand gremlins).  Obviously, if an Army has used up Move during the turn either by gettting into position or intercepting enemy forces, they necessarily have reduced movement range for patrolling.
So what about my Rangers? :P

Also 'patrol' sets the patrollers on 'defend' and will not split the patrol stack if there are multiple armies within their move range right?
Because I'm rangers? :P

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: January 22, 2018, 04:31:56 am »

So I have some questions.

I have provinces selling grain to the market instead of exporting to my (adjacent) capital. What's the deal with that?
I thought that migrants would fill rural slots before urban slots, yet all the migrants to Tor Broch have become urban pops?
Can I move a scout into the fog of war, or must they be able to see where they are going?
My capital ought to be producing tools, yet it does not appear to be doing so (at least, it is earning no Goods income, and my stockpile of Tools is not going up)?
Long Live United Forenia!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: January 22, 2018, 08:32:28 am »

1) My map is odd, there's a hole in the border
2) Budget is 10 too low
3) Food is being sold to the market while urban pop is unfed
4) Urban emmigrants remain urban.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: January 22, 2018, 09:25:09 am »

Potential bugs:

1) My scout is listed as being where it was last turn, not where it is this turn?
2) My army is reported as being where it spawned turn one, not where it currently is, and they appear to be getting the benefit of it's unrest reduction even though they've not been there for a few turns.

Not bugs but questions:

1) Can you use technology the same turn you buy it? IE: Could I build a smith this turn via researching the tech and then building it?
2) There was previous mention of adding in the ability for starving pops to migrate withing your borders of their own volition instead of requiring a placed migration point. Can you elaborate upon this? As it might become relevant sooner rather then later (eventually.)
3) You also mentioned you might make herbs into a T1 tech at some point? I might need to get in on that seeing as how my death rate in my capital is getting so huge. Can we get more elaboration on that too (eventually.)
4) Can you pick and choose what areas feed into what towns? If you have, for instance, two towns right next to each other. (If that's even possible)
5) Hum, pop growth is a function of deathrate+birthrate throughout the province right? It's not split between the urban areas and the rural areas? At least, it seems that way. Would that mean that eventually you can get cities that will depopulate the surrounding rural area, when their deathrate outstrips the birth rate but the city still grows because of imported population?

Also I don't know if you can answer this one or if it's a secret, but can we get a hint about how profitable sales of goods are?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 10:39:09 am by Criptfeind »

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: January 24, 2018, 05:22:53 pm »

Potential bugs:

1) My scout is listed as being where it was last turn, not where it is this turn?
2) My army is reported as being where it spawned turn one, not where it currently is, and they appear to be getting the benefit of it's unrest reduction even though they've not been there for a few turns.

Not bugs but questions:

1) Can you use technology the same turn you buy it? IE: Could I build a smith this turn via researching the tech and then building it?
2) There was previous mention of adding in the ability for starving pops to migrate withing your borders of their own volition instead of requiring a placed migration point. Can you elaborate upon this? As it might become relevant sooner rather then later (eventually.)
3) You also mentioned you might make herbs into a T1 tech at some point? I might need to get in on that seeing as how my death rate in my capital is getting so huge. Can we get more elaboration on that too (eventually.)
4) Can you pick and choose what areas feed into what towns? If you have, for instance, two towns right next to each other. (If that's even possible)
5) Hum, pop growth is a function of deathrate+birthrate throughout the province right? It's not split between the urban areas and the rural areas? At least, it seems that way. Would that mean that eventually you can get cities that will depopulate the surrounding rural area, when their deathrate outstrips the birth rate but the city still grows because of imported population?

Also I don't know if you can answer this one or if it's a secret, but can we get a hint about how profitable sales of goods are?

Mini-bugs:  Both of those are just errors, I think.  I'll fix them, and both should be where they actually are.  Edit - fixed in the turn now.

Proper bugfix ongoing tonight.  Answering questions.

1) Yes.  If you have the points, tech knowledge is instant as soon as you buy it.
2) Planned for this turn, starving pops will try and migrate to any 'unworked' land in the empire.  Order of preference should be: 1) Move to migration points.  2) Move to free unworked land.  3) Move across borders.
3) Confirming Herbalism will be a T1 tech.  Tech tree up to T3 incoming.
4) Yes.  The only limit (without Logistics, a T3 tech) is that food can only move 1 province maximum before it goes off and cannot be 'chained' (so you can't send food from Province A to Province B while Province B is sending food to Province C).  Logistics extends the food radius to 2 provinces - past that, you're looking for Refrigeration (whenever that is) or Railroads most likely.
5) Pop growth and death is evenly spread between rural and urban pops, yes.  The city you mentioned is theoretically possible, but I should have a limiter in place to force urban pops to work land if the town isn't producing enough food and there's free space.  I need to check that though.  It may not be working, which may be the reason for the ongoing urban pop issues.

Bugs will get fixed tonight and tomorrow, hopefully.

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 17