Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17

Author Topic: Sorcerers @ War - OOC & Fluff  (Read 20278 times)

FakerFangirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
Re: Sorcerers @ War - OOC & Fluff
« Reply #60 on: December 29, 2017, 04:40:12 am »

What is the starting population of the client race? Do people migrate when unrest is much higher than in the surrounding colonized area? Do we start with a palace?

pdf typo: regarldess = regardless
contrbute = contribute
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 06:30:40 am by FakerFangirl »
"Should we call a beak dog a gobbo doggo?" - Relevant_-_-Username

FakerFangirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #61 on: December 29, 2017, 06:39:30 am »

Nation Name: Naga
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"Should we call a beak dog a gobbo doggo?" - Relevant_-_-Username

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 29, 2017, 07:08:02 am »

So I was looking over the Buildings list on the front and I've decided to change the wolfos's Red thumb trait to hungry, in order to grab the armorer cultural trait. This is because of two reasons.

1. So many of the buildings demand tools, like most of them including slave buildings.  No other demand is as prevalent in the front page buildings except mounts to a lesser extent. So Tools are really important to grab early and without being an Idea specced race I don't feel like I want to waste many of them on the basic's if I can help it. Especially because while I start with a shrine, I don't actually have the tech from not taking faithfully to Build more of them. so I'll be stuck with the mana income of a sorcerer for a little while.
Tools are in demand by almost every building, so I don't feel bad grabbing that.
Hopefully, Between slave plantation with tools, I will be able to offset hungry, especially if I can grab another race with Green thumb *eyes other races*

2. Its a choice I can make without changing my Wolfos's backstory too much, Just making the task of metalworking a bit more important culturally. So I don't have to change my lore.
Tell me how about I'm supposed to be afraid of your race when they don't even have ponderous strength, you think raw technology is going allow you to enslave the other muscle-raging sapients?, think again. Since my race is a weird hybrid between military might and research in might be a difficult match for you for example ;-). I mean yes your more likely to go after the race that didn't choose military abilities, and essentially be a scavenger; but ehh. Your race would kinda be a hybrid between military and scavengers, taking advantage of the weakest while trying to hide from the strongest. Just note that military engagements might result in difficulty for you as only being fast on the ground, while no actual upgrade to offense or defense; just skirmishing.

Anyways because with a PM to the GM, I realized just how bad ponderous and not quite grabby it should be. I switched this for Hungry since it makes sense with the birds are always looking for fish and other kind of prey, as ponderous reduce the mobility of my aerial units by 50% which makes them not quite effective as shock infantry I'm imagining that they should be. As well, added a vulnerability to Ice because Birds hate when their wings get frozen and chilled as they become less effective; which allows me to adapt to mountains and create Eyries which sounds pretty thematic if you ask me. Noting again that the Bird people are not as slow as they used to be and can now utilize flying cavalry like Pegasus and great hawks and stuff like that
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 07:14:12 am by Shadowclaw777 »

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 29, 2017, 07:12:51 am »

What is the starting population of the client race? Do people migrate when unrest is much higher than in the surrounding colonized area? Do we start with a palace?

pdf typo: regarldess = regardless
contrbute = contribute

35% is the base client race starting pop, but you can request it to go as high as 70% if you're the type to have a small ruling class and large client class.  Migration happens either when food is short or automatically from 'feeder' provinces (i.e. those dedicated to feeding towns) every turn (they send half their urban pops either to the local town or to migration points, provided they are at capacity for rural pops).  Everyone starts with a Palace.

Thanks for the typos, fixed in the next manual edition.

Nation Name: Naga
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The concept's lovely, but there are balance issues.

Poison Resistance:  Not making too much a habit of handing out the resistances, but I'll allow it since an alchemy/medicine line will allow people to field poisoned weapon units (not to mention summons).
Ravenous:  Hungry is capped at +2 points, +7.5% food demand for a reason - the game gets woefully unbalanced otherwise.  Take it down to +2 points instead and we're good.
Heavyweight:  Interesting one.  Probably translates to a melee armour bonus to all units.  I'm good with this one.
Legless:  Drop it to +1 point and take just the penalty to skirmish defence.  Forts act as a multiplier to defensive entities, and the increased mountain travel would be pointless (the fastest an entity can travel at is 4 points anyway, for fliers and mounted Heroes).
Natural Predator:  Interesting one here.  Take Ponderous as well to make point assignment clearer and call this a -2 point charge defence bonus and I can work with that.  Might work as a cover bonus, similarly to spearmen.
Sand Dwellers - Not a problem here.  There's a racial building I can put in for fertility bonuses, and I like the idea of being able to use deserts like roads.
Desert Geology - Not really a starting option.  Try and research something like this in game.
Tribal - Barbarous is capped at 10% extra unrest for a reason.  +1 point only.
Seductive - Not really feeling this one, and there isn't a need to model it.  You can set this sort of thing as policy, enslaving humans, and the elite are already assumed to be 'sufficiently fine' with it as part of the unrest penalty you get from slavery buildings anyway.

Humans:
Racial Injustice - Essentially the Barbarous trait.  Fine, call it +1 point.
Slow Breeders - Doable.  +1 point, -4% birth rate.
Kidnapping/Slave Breeding - Already modelled in the system, don't need these traits.

Assuming those changes, you are currently at 4+4-1-2-2-2+2-2-1-2-1-2+1-1-1+1+1 = -4 points right now.

So I was looking over the Buildings list on the front and I've decided to change the wolfos's Red thumb trait to hungry, in order to grab the armorer cultural trait. This is because of two reasons.

1. So many of the buildings demand tools, like most of them including slave buildings.  No other demand is as prevalent in the front page buildings except mounts to a lesser extent. So Tools are really important to grab early and without being an Idea specced race I don't feel like I want to waste many of them on the basic's if I can help it. Especially because while I start with a shrine, I don't actually have the tech from not taking faithfully to Build more of them. so I'll be stuck with the mana income of a sorcerer for a little while.
Tools are in demand by almost every building, so I don't feel bad grabbing that.
Hopefully, Between slave plantation with tools, I will be able to offset hungry, especially if I can grab another race with Green thumb *eyes other races*

2. Its a choice I can make without changing my Wolfos's backstory too much, Just making the task of metalworking a bit more important culturally. So I don't have to change my lore.
Tell me how about I'm supposed to be afraid of your race when they don't even have ponderous strength, you think raw technology is going allow you to enslave the other muscle-raging sapients?, think again. Since my race is a weird hybrid between military might and research in might be a difficult match for you for example ;-). I mean yes your more likely to go after the race that didn't choose military abilities, and essentially be a scavenger; but ehh. Your race would kinda be a hybrid between military and scavengers, taking advantage of the weakest while trying to hide from the strongest

Anyways because with a PM to the GM, I realized just how bad ponderous and not quite grabby it should be. I switched this for Hungry since it makes sense with the birds are always looking for fish and other kind of prey, as ponderous reduce the mobility of my aerial units by 50% which makes them not quite effective as shock infantry I'm imagining that they should be. As well, added a vulnerability to Ice because Birds hate when their wings get frozen and chilled as they become less effective; which allows me to adapt to mountains and create Eyries which sounds pretty thematic if you ask me. Noting again that the Bird people are not as slow as they used to be and can now utilize flying cavalry like Pegasus and great hawks and stuff like that

Slightly starting to regret adding in these vulnerabilities now.  Frost isn't that common a damage type, so I reserve the right if you go ahead with it to apply an environment penalty to your armies to fighting in mountains.  Frost vulnerability seems to clash for me with a mountain-adapted species, but I'm fine with it if that's the way you want it.

Again - I haven't settled on my final seven yet.  I'll decide in a day or two.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 29, 2017, 07:15:13 am »

I got linked to this, and squee!- an Iiteum game! :D
Honour:  While playing the game, honour is entirely up to you.  However, I must ask all players and observers to employ a sense of honour with regards to the game itself.  Forum games are necessarily and by design spectator sports - they are as much fun for the watchers as the players.
This is going to be fun watching (or even playing, if ever!); I really love how detailed you got into the manual, and the Honor system. :)
Spoiler: Let's get a full sheet (click to show/hide)
I went silly and based this one on history here. :v

I'm really wondering if there can be a customized trait--because the history here (mountain people; Philippines) has pretty much mountains made fertile [as plains] (because terracing and otherwise :P), as I've been wondering to make that a terrain adaptation point. That, and we never had any cavalry, so there you see Ponderous (-cavalry) and the other traits. Plutocracy from common agreement between tribes and otherwise, and a ton of oral traditional lore for laws. [Since I noticed most details are particularly European-themed... ._.;]

I mean I could've gone Fliers, because point-efficiency, but I'm throwing in that sheet for RPing and fun. :V
Also I am uncertain if Bloodlines is the only Power source that can be used if the leader is not a mage themselves, as it seems to be the only power source that is different from the rest (it relies SOLELY on the populace).
So I handicapped myself. :P

Also there are real names for the nation, capital, and region, but I'm going with common names (and with help from good friends).
I wonder if my endgoal is obvious with this sheet. :P
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 02:27:31 am by Tiruin »

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 29, 2017, 07:24:28 am »

Always a pleasure to see you, Tir.  Couple of points.

Fleet and Ponderous (although I should put it down formally) are counterposed - you can't have both.  Fleet makes all your units effectively cavalry, and Ponderous stops you raising cavalry.  :B

Mountain Terracing is totally an option.  -1 point is enough for a racial terraced garden building that would bring the agricultural capacity up to around that of forests.  You'd want -2 points to get one up to plains level, though, since mountains convey other benefits.

Otherwise, I really like the app. :)
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 29, 2017, 07:32:56 am »

Quote from: from Iituem
Slightly starting to regret adding in these vulnerabilities now.  Frost isn't that common a damage type, so I reserve the right if you go ahead with it to apply an environment penalty to your armies to fighting in mountains.  Frost vulnerability seems to clash for me with a mountain-adapted species, but I'm fine with it if that's the way you want it.

My logic is that Birds aren't exactly keen with the cold since they make migrations to the warmer areas and their wings are affected by frost. However, since it probably conflicts with the logic of a Mountain-adapted species so I have changed it to fire so their afraid and weak of their wings burning up in the fridge of combat. So a vulnerability of fire and heat, essentially.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 29, 2017, 07:47:47 am »

So, everyone's going for these really min-maxed sheets, and it's making me feel left out. As such, I would like to suggest a new racial trait:

Natural Metalworkers (-1): All Gforeg are- to a greater or lesser degree- capable of dowsing for metal ores, sensing their presence through several meters of rock. This makes them incredibly skilled miners, capable of finding ore veins where others see empty hillside, and substantially increasing the productivity of mines. Likewise, their metal senses make them superior smiths.
Effect: (If locations with no resources are possible:) Can discover ore veins in empty locations. Increased mining productivity. Increased smithing industry productivity.

If acceptable, I think I would add Cowardly as well, since the Gforeg rely on equipment, not willpower.

Long Live United Forenia!

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 29, 2017, 07:49:45 am »

So, everyone's going for these really min-maxed sheets, and it's making me feel left out. As such, I would like to suggest a new racial trait:
"minmaxed" -_-
Wow generalizing much.

Always a pleasure to see you, Tir.  Couple of points.

Fleet and Ponderous (although I should put it down formally) are counterposed - you can't have both.  Fleet makes all your units effectively cavalry, and Ponderous stops you raising cavalry.  :B

Mountain Terracing is totally an option.  -1 point is enough for a racial terraced garden building that would bring the agricultural capacity up to around that of forests.  You'd want -2 points to get one up to plains level, though, since mountains convey other benefits.

Otherwise, I really like the app. :)
Can...I pick a BIT of Fleet, but NOT have cavalry? :'(
Also sure, going for that -2 after adjusting and awaiting on this one IMPORTANT CRUCIAL TRAIT (because we didn't ever have cavalry :P Just infantry focus)

I mean, technically I'm still spending -1 point anyway, but I will not have cavalry, but everyone else will be at the speed of cavalry? o_O
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 07:55:34 am by Tiruin »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 29, 2017, 07:57:54 am »

"minmaxed" -_-
Wow generalizing much.
I mean, I'm not saying that that's a bad thing. But I have 4 traits, where you have 8. You cannot deny that you are minning some things in order to max other things. Which, again, is fine.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 29, 2017, 07:59:53 am »

Quote from: NUKE8.13
So, everyone's going for these really min-maxed sheets, and it's making me feel left out. As such, I would like to suggest a new racial trait
I can possible through some means see how it looks like I am min-maxing and have to use the basis on that your inferring to me when I'm just choosing traits that fits with my theme that I'm trying to portray. The theme if your so inclined is a bunch of muscular bird people that have developed a warrior culture who believe in Tengrism (the Sky) and than they make nests on mountains (The Steppe), with a touch of samurai culture. If that isn't the most imaginative way you have seen a person trying to portray theme than I don't know what is. The negatives actually probably screw me in the long run because I have half the population which will create a worse start and they require more food which means more of the population has to be rural (make sense thematically again...) which carries all kind of productivity negatives, as well as more unrest. Let's say the civilization that I have crafted is very far from practical and by going for the theme I set with, the civilization is not going to go well, lol.

Having lots of negative is only necessary for people trying to create a certain type of theme; especially with expensive traits like flying, while adding a unique touch to their respective culture ;).
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 08:04:33 am by Shadowclaw777 »

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 29, 2017, 08:00:51 am »

"minmaxed" -_-
Wow generalizing much.
I mean, I'm not saying that that's a bad thing. But I have 4 traits, where you have 8. You cannot deny that you are minning some things in order to max other things. Which, again, is fine.
Because benefiting if I live, in the long run, is mixmaxing? :B
Seriously, it'll be LOOOOONG for me to see any benefits with what I've got. :P
...Also I think it's a term or impression you got there. I mean, races aren't really defined by a # of traits.

...Although I would love a trait that's in between Fleet and Ponderous. :-\ Pleaaaase Iiteum :D
Also I just discovered y'all are shoving custom suggestions to him. LIKE TARICUS AND HIS SECRET THINGY. O_O
This is good to know. :)

E: I didn't mean anything D: by the "-_-" by the way! Just the implication that it could mean something negative. Y'all are good.
Always a pleasure to see you, Tir.
I also missed this! Pleasure to see this, and you, and y'all! :))
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 08:11:41 am by Tiruin »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 29, 2017, 08:10:26 am »

Okay, okay, look. I didn't mean min-maxing in the sense of "trying to exploit the system". I realise that is the common usage; my apologies for the confusion. I should've said "complex" instead. Everyone is going for very complex sheets.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 29, 2017, 08:24:05 am »

I'm pretty sure mine is simple. About 5 traits for the species and two for the leader. Not that complex is bad, if anything, it leads to a greater amount of nuance in a leader and species/race.

@Iituem still got a PM that need to be resolved, if you could kindly do so. And if you could give my sheet a once-over to make sure it's all up to scratch that'd be great. ^^

@SC777: I don't think there's anything to fear from the doomed races, No matter their bonuses. There's power in numbers. And if you go up against me, I'm gonna have both numbers and morale on my side.

Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 29, 2017, 08:31:44 am »

Natural Metalworkers (-1): All Gforeg are- to a greater or lesser degree- capable of dowsing for metal ores, sensing their presence through several meters of rock. This makes them incredibly skilled miners, capable of finding ore veins where others see empty hillside, and substantially increasing the productivity of mines. Likewise, their metal senses make them superior smiths.
Effect: (If locations with no resources are possible:) Can discover ore veins in empty locations. Increased mining productivity. Increased smithing industry productivity.

If acceptable, I think I would add Cowardly as well, since the Gforeg rely on equipment, not willpower.

I mean, I'm not opposed to it, but one of the Mysticism starting spells already does this.  If you want, though, I'll add a racial ability that lets you prospect hills and mountains at a gold cost.  (-1 points).  Also, I don't know why I forgot to add this the first time around, but there should be a 2 point Artisan trait that increases goods production (from all sources, mined and industrial) by 20%.

Can...I pick a BIT of Fleet, but NOT have cavalry? :'(
Also sure, going for that -2 after adjusting and awaiting on this one IMPORTANT CRUCIAL TRAIT (because we didn't ever have cavalry :P Just infantry focus)

I mean, technically I'm still spending -1 point anyway, but I will not have cavalry, but everyone else will be at the speed of cavalry? o_O

New trait for you, you can take it with Ponderous.  2 points - Rangers.  Your people are skilled at crossing ground quickly on foot.  Increases the base move rate of your infantry to 3 Move, does not add charge phase effects as per cavalry or Fleet.

@Iituem still got a PM that need to be resolved, if you could kindly do so. And if you could give my sheet a once-over to make sure it's all up to scratch that'd be great. ^^

PMed.  Sheet looks good.  No problems here.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17