Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17

Author Topic: Sorcerers @ War - OOC & Fluff  (Read 20230 times)

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sorcerers @ War - OOC & Fluff
« on: December 28, 2017, 08:58:17 am »

Sorcerers @ War

Welcome, poor souls, to Sorcerers @ War.  The full introduction and gameplay details can be found in the manual, but this represents the successor to the seven-years-dead original Fiefdoms @ War.  A heavy codebase backs this particular game, representing something of an ongoing commitment on the part of your humble GM.  Really, really do read the manual.

If all goes well, this game will go on for some time.  You do not have to play for all of it.

Sorcerers @ War will work on a 'tag in, tag out' system.  If a player chooses to retire or loses through one of the two 'soft' lose conditions, a new player will be selected from the Waitlist to take over their nation.  The retired player can also re-enter the waitlist at this time - when things cycle back around they may get another chance.  I will also accept and encourage standing orders - if you reckon you might be busy for a bit, leave standing orders with me on what you want your nation to do.  I will carry out standing orders usually for around five turns in absentia where they exist before I consider moving in a replacement, so do give them.

While this game will not have the crazy update schedule of a SPAM game, I really do want to try and get turns out every 48-72 hours when I can.  Be warned - things will at least attempt to progress quickly.

Honour:  While playing the game, honour is entirely up to you.  However, I must ask all players and observers to employ a sense of honour with regards to the game itself.  Forum games are necessarily and by design spectator sports - they are as much fun for the watchers as the players.  If you are watching (as even waitlisters are encouraged to do), do not spoil things by revealing the secrets of the private turn reports.  If you are playing, please do not spoil things for yourself by reading other people's private turn reports.  If you come off the waitlist and start to play, well, I can't make you forget the things you've already seen.  Instead, I ask that you only read your own report until you are in a situation where you don't need to any more (i.e. you lose - or maybe even win).

If there is interest, I may set up a Discord channel for observers and waitlisters so they can commentate on what's going on in the game without spoiling anything for the players.

Please note: The initial sign-ups are over and we now have our eight nations.  You may still post to join the waitlist and eventually take over a vacated nation.  The IC thread can be found here.

That said, if you want to play and you're happy with the madness of this game, here is the sign-up sheet.  Note that the first seven players especially (7 faction start) will be curated admissions - I pick the ones I find the most interesting - since you are creating the core nations as well as your leaders.  Please at least read the first page of the manual before you do this.

Spoiler: Nation Creation (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Sign-Up Sheet (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Buildings (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Units (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Agents (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Technologies (click to show/hide)

Quote from: Nation List
Roosts of Aeriala
Kingdom of Heth Garand
Autarchy of Varxsea
Empire of Fredek
Kingdom of Trelia
The Virtuous Lands
Clans of Defiance
Depths of Valdivia

Quote from: Wait List
Nirur Torir
Jilladilla
Dustan Hache
FakerFangirl
Talion
micelus
Roboson
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 04:08:33 pm by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
Re: Sorcerers @ War - OOC & Fluff
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 09:07:01 am »

Question at @Iituem, does the Client Race give you another 3 points for racial creation for your client race?.

Hmm, it states that you have to buy your own points separately so that seems like the most logical is that you don't get bonus points to spend on your secondary race
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 09:10:35 am by Shadowclaw777 »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 09:24:50 am »

Looks cool! Although certainly a lot more complex then the previous ones. I read the manual, but it's going to take me at least a turn or two to get my head around everything.

How much population does your client race have?

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2017, 09:27:09 am »

[Reserving a post.]

If you have 2 races, your client race will be around 35% of your total population (unless you want it higher - 70% slave race, 30% rulers is fine).  Also, yes, no bonus points for the client race, leaving them at a disadvantage compared to the main. 
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 09:35:02 am by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2017, 09:33:12 am »

I'm certainly interested, gimme a bit of time to read the manual though. Don't want to be that guy who asks the question that's answered on page 2, after all. Will give a more proper post (or edit this one, if it's still the last post in the thread somehow...) when I'm done.

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2017, 10:40:30 am »

Spoiler: Sign-Up Sheet (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 07:41:43 am by Shadowclaw777 »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2017, 11:25:38 am »

Hum, I'm starting to get an idea of what I want to play, although I have a question about Client Races. Can you take negative traits on client races? If so, does that give build points, and is there any restrictions on spending them? Because clearly it doesn't make sense to say, take a really gimped client race to give you a lot of points for your main race.

Also... How hard/possible is it to geographically/professionally sort your population? Like if you take a dull slave race you want to work in the mines or factory, but don't want to work in the library, will you have any control over that/they'll auto sort somewhat intelligently, or will it be totally random if they end up working inappropriate jobs? I don't see any mechanic for such sorting, so I'm guessing it'll be random, but it was a thought I had, so I figured I'd check in case I missed something.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 11:29:56 am by Criptfeind »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2017, 11:31:26 am »

Mana Site      £50, £1/turn.  Req: Currency.      Directly converts gold and silver into coin for the Treasury.

This seems wrong

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2017, 12:32:35 pm »

Spoiler: Sheet (click to show/hide)

Dunno how much nation description you want. Hopefully this is sufficient to give a general impression of what things look like. I figure more details would emerge over time, sort of thing.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 01:13:13 pm by NUKE9.13 »
Long Live United Forenia!

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2017, 12:35:52 pm »

Mint     £50, £1/turn.  Req: Currency.      Directly converts gold and silver into coin for the Treasury.

This seems wrong

Fixed!

Hum, I'm starting to get an idea of what I want to play, although I have a question about Client Races. Can you take negative traits on client races? If so, does that give build points, and is there any restrictions on spending them? Because clearly it doesn't make sense to say, take a really gimped client race to give you a lot of points for your main race.

Also... How hard/possible is it to geographically/professionally sort your population? Like if you take a dull slave race you want to work in the mines or factory, but don't want to work in the library, will you have any control over that/they'll auto sort somewhat intelligently, or will it be totally random if they end up working inappropriate jobs? I don't see any mechanic for such sorting, so I'm guessing it'll be random, but it was a thought I had, so I figured I'd check in case I missed something.

You can gimp out a client race if you really want to boost your main race - but without some inventive genocide you'll take the penalties of having them around at all, since they will make up a good third of your population.  If it's too unbalanced I may step in as GM and suggest some balancing factors to both races.

You can professionally sort your population, it's in there - if a race (e.g. say, dwarves) is better at being urban pops than agricultural pops, I can set them to 'urban preference'.  This means that when they breed they will preferentially take urban jobs over rural ones.  Similarly, if you had a good farming race (e.g. halflings) they can be set to 'rural preference' - they will fill out farming positions before urban ones.  So if you had a province with halflings, dwarves and humans in, most of the farmers would be halflings, most of the urbans would be dwarves and the humans would mix between the two.

I have considered adding in a 'displacement' mechanic to drive segregated races to certain territories or get them to leave your nation entirely.  I haven't implemented it yet, since I'm of two minds on how to implement it.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2017, 12:37:39 pm »

Is it possible to have a terrestrial main species (with Sailors) and an aquatic client species?

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2017, 12:49:10 pm »

Spoiler: Sheet (click to show/hide)

Dunno how much nation description you want. Hopefully this is sufficient to give a general impression of what things look like. I figure more details would emerge over time, sort of thing.

Looks good!  Excellent sign-up sheet.

Is it possible to have a terrestrial main species (with Sailors) and an aquatic client species?

Yes, I'm good with that.  Your main species will be deposited on land in that case, with your client species in the sea.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2017, 01:03:16 pm »

Fixed!

Now Mint is included twice in the building list.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2017, 01:08:52 pm »

I see that there is a Hungry trait, and I see that you are open for suggestions: Would a 'Slow Metabolism' Trait be a possible thing or no?
Mayhaps a 'Cyclops' trait as well?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 01:26:28 pm by Jilladilla »

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Talion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2017, 01:43:19 pm »

This looks interesting, the idea I have might take awhile to work out.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17