Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 17

Author Topic: Sorcerers @ War - OOC & Fluff  (Read 20257 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Sorcerers @ War - OOC & Fluff
« Reply #150 on: December 31, 2017, 12:20:24 am »

We're talking about Pestilence Iituem:

"Each province loses 0-5% of its base fertility per turn to pestilence."

But it's not clear if that's a permanent loss or not (I thought permanent until Nuke said he thought not, now I don't know.) If it's not permanent loss, something like "food output" might make more sense instead of base fertility.

Ah, yes.  It's 0-5% less food output.  Not a desperate struggle for survival as the world is bleached of its resources.  Not yet, anyway.  Maybe when you invent industrial fertilisers.

Also, a brief changelog snippet:
 - Stopped terrestrial races migrating into the sea and vice versa.  Awkwardly drowning migrants averted.
I did the math, considering what I presume may be the most abundant (Plains), so 1.30. 5% of this is 0.065, meaning at worst (let's say pestilence...err, those events aren't permanent either right? I'm assuming pestilence is 5% :-\)
Meaning y'all will drop to 1.235, and 5% of that next turn is 0.06175, going up to 1.17325. At that point, 5% means less and less, (that is, computing by mind, 0.0586625... and from 1.1145875, there's 0.055729[...])

So the first hits of fertility loss if permanent are pretty devastating. I'm betting it's rounded off to the second decimal and then computed at that new value for niceties and simplicity though, to obviously factor in realistic nature because all dem plants aren't going to obey un-fertility by the tiny dot.

Not a desperate struggle for survival as the world is bleached of its resources.  Not yet, anyway.  Maybe when you invent industrial fertilisers.
And then it'll be the struggle to save the environment!
Or magic 'nukes' .-.;

Does necromancy hurt the fertility? :P

Also, a brief changelog snippet:
 - Stopped terrestrial races migrating into the sea and vice versa.  Awkwardly drowning migrants averted.
How...does migration work anyway? ._. Other than paying 20, marking a province, then paying 40 to sweep 1% into every 20[money unit] province, what if it has the Pioneers perk?
Will there still be unrest too, with that perk?

What if the province is aquatic, but the civilization does not have the pioneers perk? (Isn't it enough that they have either Amphibian or Aquatic to avoid unrest?)

Also can there be buildings to stockpile food for the future? (Granaries and the like) so that it isn't auto-sold to the grain market?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 12:30:53 am by Tiruin »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 31, 2017, 07:33:37 am »

Also can there be buildings to stockpile food for the future? (Granaries and the like) so that it isn't auto-sold to the grain market?
This question is answered in the manual. Every province has a granary that stores up to one entire turn's worth of food.
Long Live United Forenia!

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 31, 2017, 07:41:02 am »

So the first hits of fertility loss if permanent are pretty devastating. I'm betting it's rounded off to the second decimal and then computed at that new value for niceties and simplicity though, to obviously factor in realistic nature because all dem plants aren't going to obey un-fertility by the tiny dot.

Just to confirm again, no gradual decrease in fertility over time unless I introduce a pollution mechanic, which isn't in yet.

How...does migration work anyway? ._. Other than paying 20, marking a province, then paying 40 to sweep 1% into every 20[money unit] province, what if it has the Pioneers perk?
Will there still be unrest too, with that perk?

What if the province is aquatic, but the civilization does not have the pioneers perk? (Isn't it enough that they have either Amphibian or Aquatic to avoid unrest?)

1.  Pops migrate either when they don't have the food to support them, when they are a feeder state (not a town but set to feed a town) or when resettlement protocols are in effect.
  i) When pops starve, they will first flee to the voluntary migration points you set.  If they are already in a migrant haven, or if there are none, they will then try to flee across borders to nations you have open border treaties with (but only where arable land is available).  If those aren't a viable option, they will instead try to flee to the nearest town, if any, whereupon they may starve if that fails.
  ii) Feeder states willingly send half their urban population each turn to their daughter town (moving to the big city).  If migration points are set, they will send half of that to the aforementioned promised lands.  If borders are opened, they may send an eighth off to other lands in hope for a new life.
  iii)  Resettlement just steals 1% of all your (rural?) pops each turn and resettles them in your chosen resettlement points.

2)  Pioneers removes the cost of setting migration and resettlement points.  Still need to pay £20 £10 for tools and supplies to colonise a new province with 100 settlers.  And the happiness bonus/malus still applies because people are optimistic about the future/upset at being dragged away from their homes and families and put to work in a commune.

3)  I don't understand your question.

4)  Granaries exist by default in every province.  They will attempt to stockpile 1 turn's worth of food against starvation before selling to the market.  And yes, it's in the manual at the back.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 09:07:28 am by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 31, 2017, 07:58:44 am »

Does the grain market have infinite cash/infinite grain? Or just the grain available elsewhere that turn (or if they stock up over turns) and/or some limited amount of cash?

Also do you tax when the grain market sells grain, or just when it buys it?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 31, 2017, 08:07:09 am »

And another question. Do cities that have to buy from the Grain market fill their granary, or do they only buy enough for immediate consumption.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 31, 2017, 09:14:42 am »

Does the grain market have infinite cash/infinite grain? Or just the grain available elsewhere that turn (or if they stock up over turns) and/or some limited amount of cash?

Also do you tax when the grain market sells grain, or just when it buys it?

The grain market starts the game with a slush fund of £20, I believe, which it uses to purchase its initial stock of grain.  It also receives funding from Factions, who buy shares in the grain market and receive regular returns on their investments.  However, the grain market emphatically does not have infinite grain.  At no point is food produced ex nihilo.  The Grain Market simply holds food produced elsewhere and then moves it where it needs to go.  Tax is when the grain is sold, not bought.

Cities will always try to fill the granary from feeders.  But if they hit grain market level they will live hand-to-mouth to preserve money.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 31, 2017, 09:25:59 am »

2)  Pioneers removes the cost of setting migration and resettlement points.  Still need to pay £20 £10 for tools and supplies to colonise a new province with 100 settlers.  And the happiness bonus/malus still applies because people are optimistic about the future/upset at being dragged away from their homes and families and put to work in a commune.
meep ._. Is it okay if I shuffle Pioneer out for Academies? It was set to that before I posted 'finalized sheet'.

Also another query!
Vassalage: Acknowledges that one nation is subservient to the other nation. Diplomat required.
Note that Vassalage has some unusual conditions - it can only be entered into voluntarily by the
subservient partner (they must formally cede their sovereignty). However, once vassalage has been
pledged the game will not acknowledge a vassal's independence unless their overlord formally
surrenders suzerainty over the vassal, or the overlord ceases to exist (which naturally will free all
their vassals). The only game effect Vassalage has is that vassals count towards their overlord's
Domination victory. Any other requirements between nations (such as military obligation or
tribute) are between players to agree and enforce.
So...this means the vassal 'wins' with the dominator, if ever, the one who they are vassal to, kills off or vassalizes everyone else?
That also means the one GOING TO BE the Vassal needs their diplomat in the dominator lands, and not the other way around? o_O

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 31, 2017, 11:34:40 am »

meep ._. Is it okay if I shuffle Pioneer out for Academies? It was set to that before I posted 'finalized sheet'.

Sorry, I'm going to put a moratorium on more changes here.  Already partway through setup.

Also another query!
So...this means the vassal 'wins' with the dominator, if ever, the one who they are vassal to, kills off or vassalizes everyone else?
That also means the one GOING TO BE the Vassal needs their diplomat in the dominator lands, and not the other way around? o_O

Either side can have the diplomat - so long as at least one diplomat can carry out the negotiations, that's enough.  And yes, your liege wins if they destroy or vassalise all other free nations.  The vassals... don't lose, I suppose?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 31, 2017, 11:46:44 am »

Either side can have the diplomat - so long as at least one diplomat can carry out the negotiations, that's enough.  And yes, your liege wins if they destroy or vassalise all other free nations.  The vassals... don't lose, I suppose?
Hum! :o
So...this means any two parties can conduct any diplomatic thingy if ONE side has ONE diplomat in the others' lands?
Meaning they both don't need to research diplomacy?

Well time to rush Diplomacy here.

..."Don't lose" is a pretty nice statement. :P

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 31, 2017, 12:10:16 pm »

Yup, you only need a diplomat from one side in another's territory for both sides to conduct diplomacy.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 01, 2018, 09:34:38 am »

What happens when a rural population grows above it's max rural pop? Can it even do so? Does it keep producing useless rural pop that eat up food for free, causing cities to starve? Or do they move off somewhere? Or is it free condoms and birth control for everyone once it gets there?
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 09:39:03 am by Criptfeind »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 01, 2018, 09:47:59 am »

I assume they'll move to the city.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 01, 2018, 11:03:49 am »

What happens when a rural population grows above it's max rural pop? Can it even do so? Does it keep producing useless rural pop that eat up food for free, causing cities to starve? Or do they move off somewhere? Or is it free condoms and birth control for everyone once it gets there?

Excess rural pops become urban pops and become butchers, bakers and candlestick makers.  If there's no nearby town they'll stay in their home territory.  If there is a nearby town, they'll usually migrate to the big city, although some will stay behind - or else to migration points.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 01, 2018, 11:14:03 am »

"Nearby" means within an adjacent territory?

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 01, 2018, 09:43:19 pm »

"Nearby" means within an adjacent territory?

Yes.

Changelog:  I've added a new unit, Primitive Bodyguards, unlocked by Warrior Code.  It's in the OP.  Designed as bodyguards for heroes, they come in units of 10 and have good defensive stats per man, but their main bonus is the 5 Bodyguard points they add, guarding against assassination.

Also, now is a good time to claim your border colours.  Varxsea has already claimed Navy Blue.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 17