Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Regarding Temperature  (Read 1333 times)

se05239

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Regarding Temperature
« on: December 26, 2017, 08:53:46 am »

Will I be able to experience seasonal change if I turn off temperature?

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
Re: Regarding Temperature
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2017, 10:21:23 am »

You will experience seasonal changes for the purpose of plants maturing and being able to grow plants, but no seasonal variation in temperature. I believe this means if you save in summer, you may not get snow in winter.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

se05239

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2017, 12:03:10 pm »

You will experience seasonal changes for the purpose of plants maturing and being able to grow plants, but no seasonal variation in temperature. I believe this means if you save in summer, you may not get snow in winter.

Ah, shame. I was hoping that winter would cause things to freeze and stuff.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2017, 06:51:06 pm »

"With temperature calculations disabled, effects such as water freezing, melting, or evaporating, or creatures and items taking temperature-related damage will not occur."
From the wiki about temperature. There will be no freezing of water. By this logic, saving in winter will mean you will have year-round ice.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2017, 04:29:22 am »

Given the logic, you would presumably be able to get things to insta-freeze/thaw by briefly enable temperature and then disable it again at suitable times of the year. I have no first hand experience of it, though.

se05239

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2017, 10:24:14 am »

"With temperature calculations disabled, effects such as water freezing, melting, or evaporating, or creatures and items taking temperature-related damage will not occur."
From the wiki about temperature. There will be no freezing of water. By this logic, saving in winter will mean you will have year-round ice.

I was hoping that I could turn off temperature but still experience the seasonal changes. It'd be awesome if water just froze during winter and thawed later, like a state that could be turned on/off and not requiring intense logical calculations that the temperature mechanic do.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2017, 11:56:53 am »

But that would make it impossible to thaw the river during winter by running magma beneath it.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2017, 03:34:08 pm »

I was hoping that I could turn off temperature but still experience the seasonal changes. It'd be awesome if water just froze during winter and thawed later, like a state that could be turned on/off and not requiring intense logical calculations that the temperature mechanic do.
You would need s brand new game for that. DF models temperature and how it effects different parts of the world at different times of year. Turn it off, turn it on, but "option to simulate the world in a completely different way" is a bit much to ask. For the 99% of users who play df as is, it'd just be seen as a waste of Toady's time for no gain at all.

se05239

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2017, 12:14:53 pm »

You would need s brand new game for that. DF models temperature and how it effects different parts of the world at different times of year. Turn it off, turn it on, but "option to simulate the world in a completely different way" is a bit much to ask. For the 99% of users who play df as is, it'd just be seen as a waste of Toady's time for no gain at all.

Well, I asked.

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2017, 05:29:05 pm »

Would you really? Wouldn't it be possible to have a simple script that plays when winter starts that checks all the water on the surface and converts it to ice. Vice versa for summer. DFhack can probably do it.
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite

se05239

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2017, 07:28:17 pm »

Would you really? Wouldn't it be possible to have a simple script that plays when winter starts that checks all the water on the surface and converts it to ice. Vice versa for summer. DFhack can probably do it.

I'd love that to be a thing.