Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Escape from Tarkov - Yet Another Slavic Apocalypse Simulator  (Read 11330 times)

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
Re: Escape from Tarkov - Yet Another Slavic Apocalypse Simulator
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2018, 12:00:01 pm »

If your character dies you lose everything you're carrying except your melee weapon and your Alpha/Gamma case+contents. Your stash is completely safe. It's generally recommended to keep keys/keybars/documents cases in the case, as certain keys are some of the rarer and more sought after items to loot.

Scav Players won't be fired upon by AI scavs until they've fired on an AI scav. You can either use other scavs as free loot or meatshields this way. Scav players will usually be murderous as soon as they figure out you're not acting like an AI or will wiggle from side to side with the lean buttons. This is meant as a peace gesture.

PMC players have no faction loyalties and will nearly always shoot everyone on sight. Very occasionally you might get a peace wiggle at short range. It's probably not worth trusting.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2018, 05:45:10 pm »

There is no honor among player scavs, either, I should warn. Basically if you interact with anyone who isn't an AI, you can't trust them for your life.

Especially if all they have is a hatchet. Hatchlings know no fear nor mercy, only greed and bloodlust.
Nothing important here, move along.

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2018, 10:26:45 am »

Really good gun handling. Played as a PMC for the first time now, had a good run until I found out that the rock passage was closed. :P Decided to flank the road to the customs, but scavs detected me from a good distance (before I could see them). No idea if they used hand grenades or shotguns. Had to withdraw, was out of AK ammo, and tried to flank them from the other side, but they found out and got me. Luckily most stuff was insured and there was not much game time left. Guess that should be the exit of last resort.
"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2018, 10:55:29 am »

Scavs tend to stick to particular areas. Once you get used to the game you'll get to know about where you can expect to find them, and either avoid them or get into a good position to shoot them before they can find you to retaliate.

Of course, this is bad news if you got chased down over a significant distance. That was probably a player or player squad.

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2018, 01:33:06 am »

Any Australian players here? I recently picked up the game again after a month long break.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2018, 10:41:13 pm »

Version 0.9 released a few days ago. Server wiped all the progress anyone made except for the player reputation towards traders.

- Still pushes the engine too far and runs like garbage because of it. Shoreline is just too damn large. This is evident where there are stutters and freezes when ai scavengers spawn in, which is similar to source engine games with very large navigation meshes freezing when new enemies are spawned in dynamically.
- AI that enjoys cheating impossibly from time to time such as a 1-tap headshot through a bush you've never touched and have clearly been hiding behind for a few minutes.
- Netcode that loves to desynchronize. Ever go prone and grab something, and then sliiiide back to some other place? That's the resync between your client position and the server position. This is so bad that it's possible to desync with the server and have it fail to properly update specific item slots with inventory items. The client thinks there's nothing in that slot but the server thinks that slot is filled; queue a situation where you can't place an item into a slot except by certain specific actions (reloading a gun USUALLY forces the magazine into a glitched spot... but then the magazine becomes bugged!)
- Audio glitches that: Fail to initialize the sound environment properly (spawn inside during rain, but outside rain FX plays) Fails to properly assign a z-axis to the audio (explosions/shots/speech/steps happening above/below you sounds like the same floor) Fails to simply play any kind of environmental sounds what so ever (is it windy with trees swaying? Are the bushes looking like they're having a seizure in a rain storm? Yeah, there's no wind sound or bushes-pushed-by-wind sound!)
- Yes the edge of darkness edition with the Gamma container is pay-to-win over powered, you can still stuff a LBE rig inside to get 10 slots instead of just 9 (and if it's a rig with the 2x2 square, a grizzly medkit or a pistol case for 9 more ammo/pistol weapons!)
- STILL HAS A FRAMERATE DEPENDENT RATE OF FIRE GLITCHING so someone getting 30 frames per second will fire nowhere near as many shots as someone with 60FPS, which is again massively beaten by someone with 120FPS. Take the minimum requirements and double it, and you'll have the actual minimum requirements. The maximum requirements is non-existant, because even a NASA super computer won't manage to pull 120 frames; there are literally broken and non-operational settings in the graphical menu.

All this and the game version is 0.9

tl;dr It's a good premise turned to shit by incompetence and long-term ignoring of problems. Like every other large-map/open world survival multiplayer FPS game.

Be entertained by live streams and videos all you like but remember that it's nowhere near as fun to play as it is to watch, just like Rust.
Do not purchase.

edit - One last additional point: There are no dedicated servers except for the official ones. Every game is handled through a first-come matchmaking system. Level 1's who don't know the game will be thrown into the shark tank where 5 man fully-kitted squads are going head-to-head with one another. There is ZERO internal balance with matchmaking and it becomes an EXTREME TEST OF PATIENCE to sit through multiple half-hour long matches ALL of which end in failure because no matter how good you actually are, there is always 1 more enemy on their team to put a bullet in your "forever unarmored" leg meta.
Yes. There is a 5-minute late spawn allowance, too. You can spawn in, turn around, and see someone who then roasts you. Hope you didn't take anything valuable into a raid like a quest item or nothing. ::)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 10:49:29 pm by Mechanoid »
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2018, 11:45:32 pm »

Just want to make a note that Mechanoid's entire post is subjective with a few tid bits of fact scattered in.
I personally disagree with almost the entirety of what he wrote.

Escape From Tarkov is by far the best game I have played in a quite a long time and I have been playing this pretty much without break for almost a year.

Sure, *you* may dislike it, but then again, *you* may love it. Do not base your opinion on someone else's post, though.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2018, 01:31:20 am »

entire post is subjective with a few tid bits of fact scattered in

Framerate dependent Rate of Fire
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4mQ4TqTI0M
This glitch was NOT fixed in the 0.9 patch and was stated by the devs to be resolved in an "intermediate" patch after 0.9, aka: "Soon.TM"

Server desync compilation, chronological
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmKEu61AbSs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2l0jjs4vzU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_o43JKJsGk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxZsNjk_-bQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kaZpxlLx00
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1Y1q8mcMF8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JInMCudne-c

Doorway desync
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiJV6vv21fs

Animation "locking" glitch, which prevents gun from firing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jf6FxsaVyos
Teleportation and animation locking glitch, Environment audio glitch post-teleport (due to environment audio trigger on factory doorway not being de/activated or player position checked properly)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id88GBZhxcQ

Getting outside the playable map space is still possible (and yes you can shoot people through any empty map polygons and kill your target with impunity)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzvI5-p6o_4

It's also a fact that there is no limitations on matchmaking for skill levels or equipment loadouts, which you can see from any gameplay video; which for anyone seeking fair play would be a massive turn-off. Likewise it's also a two way street; it's no fun to go into a factory raid as someone who's actually risking their equipment and only encountering naked people using hatchets. Not only are you the only person risking a loss of anything, everyone else is absolutely no challenge and the only way to fail is to be caught off-guard or make a mistake.
Any kind of gameplay challenge however is simply that, but is massively made worse by the numbers of glitches and bugs that truely destroy gameplay.

When BSG fixes the fire-rate glitch is when EFT can actually be playable.

Gamma container pay-to-win "Subjectivity":
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2018, 03:13:13 am »

I have to say i enjoeyed tarkov quite a bit, probably the best survival fps out there right now. While the stuff mechanoid points out does exist, i wouldnt say it has an impact on most raids, iv played quite a bit and i cant even remember more than maybe 2 cases of bugs (i did suffer some invisible hatchet guys when they were rampant). 
Also id argue there should be no matchmaking in a survival FPS, you can kill fully kitted enemies spending 1/100 of what they got without much trouble, they are risking a lot more and they have better odds becouse of it(the improved odds are no were close the investment diference). 
You make the case that the gamma container is P2W, but i honestly cant see how saving some stuff after you die can help you win over some one else, its only usefull if you die, its a fail mitigator, not a winning tool. Claiming you can take 72 "stacks of money" with you as an advantage honestly confused me quite a bit, why would anyone want to do that(have you actually played the game)? Yes 10 slots its more than 8, but i dont see how that is game breaking, specially considering how easy its to make money in this game(at least now, i hope its for testing purposes).
The rate of fire being tied to FPSs its inexcusable and i cant belive developers keep making that mistake, this is a huge NO-NO so i do agree 100% with you here.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2018, 08:56:04 am »

While the better cases are technically only a failure mitigator, the fact is that in Tarkov, you're expected to fail a lot. You're in direct competition with everyone else on the map for the best loot, and you can either rush to get that best loot and risk being a big target or you can take it slow and maybe pick through the leftovers, and even if you do the latter you're going to run into tougher scavs and the people who are trying to farm those scavs for their more valuable loot like armor.

Especially when it comes to quests that require you to get standard gear, the Gamma case is *vastly* superior to any other. You can carry an entire extra armor that you can't with any other case, which helps you get your foot in the door with Skier. You can also take more of the smaller items that you need for other quests or can trade for higher-end gear from the traders.

Just in general, you don't have to select as carefully for the stuff you want to take. The Alpha case fills up painfully quickly, and it takes a long, long time before you get to use anything else.

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2018, 05:24:43 pm »

I just started playing after a while, maybe 1 or 2 updates without playing, you can always trade for the bigger cases if you have the money and dont want to do the quests. Again you probably wont carry armor in your case, at least one slot is for keys and there are more money efficient items to take home. I usually focus on value while looting, the rest can be traded in. 
EDIT: Went to woods with an AK Vepr i looted as a scav, 2 kills and some luck later the first great run of my return to the game.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 01:31:48 am by ukulele »

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2018, 08:33:15 pm »

behold the powers of my necromancy!

*slavic necro casting sounds*

i got a 14 day trial code from a friend and tried this out. digging it a bit; its like a less crowded, multiplayer stalker game crossed with the division. my first run was as a scav, i found 4 ai scav brothers and a duo of players came and i used these bros to draw them out while i sniped them with my mosin. i left that map flush with 2 sets of body armor and helmets, 2 full aks and mags, a good backpack and a harness. oh and some scopes and other accessories attached to the aks. i promptly sold all of this. and i used it to buy cheap sks rifles and mags/ammo. feeling like a true gopnik.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 08:45:57 pm by JimboM12 »
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2018, 11:07:04 pm »

I have it, I haven't played it in months though.  It was really buggy when I played, my most successful game ended up being almost all bots.  It can be fun when it works, but you can say that about all Russian games.

Slavgames always have great ideas and are awesome when they work, but they're held together with duct tape and fly apart with little provocation.
Shoes...

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2019, 06:08:36 am »

I have a 2 week free trial code. (Must be activated before the 6th of this month)

PM to claim ;)
"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2021, 04:59:11 pm »

After watching BeagleRush play this for a while I finally decided to give it a whirl.

It's...actually a lot of fun! And I'm not much of an FPS person. Stressful in a way that even horror games don't capture well for me, but fun.

But the game feels pretty solid, no bugs so far, and while there are design choices that I don't like the overall experience is quite engaging.

Mostly I think I like the 'looting with risk' aspect of the game. In that looting is dangerous and can/will get you killed if you're careless about it. Makes all the loot you do get feel a little more worthwhile, even though all you did was click on a box to search it and then move it to your inventory.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6