Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: The City Of Silver (6/5) (Actually updated)  (Read 2198 times)

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
The City Of Silver (6/5) (Actually updated)
« on: December 19, 2017, 12:04:56 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Rules:
1. Every player gets one life, and one life only. Once you are dead, your story is over and you cannot play again.
2. Because of rule number 1, pvp is discouraged. If you decide to pursue it anyways and don't give adequate warning to your victims, the story may take action against you.
3. I will try to update somewhat regularly and give warning before updates. If you miss an update, your character will act so as to preserve your current situation. (If you fail to act for a critical decision, I will have to act for you. The show must go on!)
4. Have fun! The game is story driven and there are lots of things to discover. I will throw lots of opportunities at you do do different things.
5. Feedback is welcome. I'm running this to warm up for my english course, so let me know what you think of the writing.

An Unguided Birth

Your first sensation is of warmth. A multitude of other things, pressed up against you on many sides. With the discovery of warmth follows cold, from one direction in particular. In time, an instinctual understanding begins to enter your mind. Warmth and cold become a more concrete sense of feeling, of touch. Senses begin to blossom from you quickly now. After touch comes smell, a strange and unsettling concept. Hearing follows soon after, and touch transforms itself into a sort of exertion. You wiggle your arms against the others and they wiggle back. The idea of happiness takes shape. You feel safe here. Taste arrives of it's own accord, and you find that you have a tongue! What are these now in front? Teeth? Why, you have a whole mouth right here! Who would have though? The last to arrive is sight, and it does so by inches. You vision crawls forward from black to a dim uniform grey. You strain you new eyes, and slowly but surely the grey resolves into splotches and then even shapes. Finally, colors begin to swim forth over you sight and you feel the urge to move, to escape. You stretch out your hands and some strange white membrane gives way before you. You tumble forward with a distinct lack of grace onto the floor before you, bashing your elbow on the way down. The colors you knew before explode into radiance in the absence of the membrane, and for a moment you are overwhelmed. It is all you can do to stare in awe as you take stock of you surroundings.
 The floor below you is made of some sort of dark wood that is the most decidedly brown color, and covered in whorls and scuffs and all manner of delightful details. This leads up to the walls which are a deep red, which is sort of like brown but not at all. Tiny grey spider webs dot the corners, casting shadows in the light of a single dim bulb that dangles in the center of the room from a wire. To the front, a set of stairs made of the same brown wood lead up to a iron rimmed trapdoor. To the back of the room there is white. There is all manner of white, from small bundles no larger than your fist to great piles of white squirming with figures not unlike your own. Your own bit of white seems to be rapidly dissolving on the ground around you, and you look around seeing the others for the first time.
 You are all great squishy white things. No features grace your faces but for a set of eyes and a mouth. You all stand on two legs, none taller than 6 ft, but many quite a deal shorter. Most of you have two arms as well, and even hands and fingers and thumbs at the ends of those. Understanding hits you like a wave as you realize what you are. You are something unwanted. An outcast, a disease as described by many. Thousands of forms and beings begin to enter you mind. Tanned skin with noses and cloths and other foreign things. As you are, you are despised, but you have the power to change. You must act quickly, but you may be anyone you desire. Only your eyes are your own. Your outer coat will harden soon, and you will be stuck as such until the end of your time, but for now you may choose. Who are you?        

No more than 10 at this time please.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 08:22:43 pm by helmacon »
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
Re: The City Of Silver (0/10)
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2017, 02:06:55 am »

((I think your writing could use a few more paragraph breaks. The wall of text is a tad bit awkward in my opinion.))

NOTE: The gray colored text can safely be disregarded.

The first form, unaware of what it is supposed to be and without a reference, undergoes a series of rapid alterations. It feels that its default form is inherently flawed somehow, so it seeks to change something in a quick and major way. Its white blob-like body splits itself into two parts connected by a thin tube, one part being much larger than the other.

It felt vulnerable, so the large blob became large and monstrous in appearance and it now had four clawed feet. It developed a face with a snout, red eyes and fangs. Its body became brown in color, and a coat of hair began to grow all over its body and it began to resemble a cross between a wolf and a bear.

It also felt somehow that a monstrous form wouldn't be ideal as many of the images that flashed through its mind were of a more civilized nature. Its smaller blob took the form of a small human girl with beige colored skin and long brown hair. It wore what appeared to be an expensive black colored dress.

The first had two distinctive parts that almost looked like a complete being on their own, yet was only one; the two parts were always connected to eachother by a long and thing tube which retained its original white coloration that connected to the back of the large segment and the back of one of the feet belonging to the small section. The first was not certain if it chose the correct form for itself, or even if there was a correct choice at all.

Apparently the form wasn't one that was capable of sustaining itself properly. The cord breaks apart and the smaller form collapses onto the ground and curls up into a ball for an short amount of time, but soon after It realizes that its form has not yet solidified. Having a better idea of what will and will not work, it makes a second attempt to form itself.

The new form resembles used the smaller part of the previous gemini form, appearing as a small human girl with beige colored skin and long brown hair. On her back is a solid shell-like plate that looks indistinguishable from the back of an ordinary person aside from a vertical slit down the middle of it. Hidden beneath this plate were a set of large semitransparent folded wings able to be hidden behind the plate when not actively in use, similar to how a ladybugs wings operate. To permit these wings to be functional, the form's density drops substantially causing her to be abnormally lightweight even for her already small size. The forms outfit also changes to become a black colored backless dress, to simultaneously function as clothing without hindering its newfound ability.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 01:46:51 am by Supernerd »
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
Re: The City Of Silver (0/10)
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2017, 02:22:01 am »

((To clarify I guess, you are basically at character creation. Your are all, at the moment, approximately 6ft tall blank white humanoids.  You can form whatever features you want. The idea is that you want to be able to blend in with the general populace. The general populace is fairly varied and exotic, but being attached via a chord to another creature is a bit of a giveaway. 

As a general rule of thumb, and for the sake of the story, you want to be a sentient being capable of speech. Being an adult will be helpful for many things, but not necessary for anything. You can change features, but not form. (hence the "none of you are over 6ft bit) I put this in place because your size and features will help determine how characters and the story in general interact with you, and I didn't want things to be too unbalanced. ))

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The City Of Silver (1?/10)
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2017, 05:38:03 am »

((I'm assuming that "Tanned skin with noses and cloths and other foreign things." is meant to be clothes, meaning we don't have to crawl out of this basement naked))

Another form considers its surroundings, considers itself, and shifts. The skin changes colour, becoming a dull green, and a semblance of musculature is formed. Facial features emerge: a nose, apparently broken in the past; ears, slightly pointed; eyebrows, cheekbones, and everything else that makes an ordinary face, giving an androgynous appearance. Black hair sprouts from the top of the head, growing longer, before bunching up into a ponytail. Clothing ripples forth across the form, forming a somewhat tattered grey suit and scuffed black shoes. Finally, a pair of sunglasses, cracked black glass in a battered silver frame, drop down onto its nose, concealing its eyes.
The greenskinned form considers itself again, the newly expressive face showing bemusement.

"Hello world", it says, in a slightly gravelly voice that could nonetheless belong to either gender.
Long Live United Forenia!

Sosoku234

• Bay Watcher
  • Shiny and chrome!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2017, 07:53:31 am »

The third form decides that a hard shell isn't bad and, as such, grows a large and hard shell around its torso and lower body. Its arms grow to another half arm's length. It sprouts two more, regular arms. It decides that the head is the most vulnerable part of itself, so it grows armor plating on the back of its head and neck. Its mouth grows wildly becoming that of what the forms we know of would call a Cheshire Cat. Its skin turns dark blue and green.

It spoke in a high pitched whisper. "Hi."
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 12:58:21 pm by Sosoku234 »
Monster stowage inventory running low. Starting #2 Monster Pump, filling #4 Monster tank, via #2a Demonizer.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2017, 09:07:16 am »

PTW, Will possibly do stuff later.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2017, 11:49:09 am »

The next form hardens into a tall wide male with peachy skin and sandy brown hair. A short well kept beard protrudes from his face, followed by a nose and eyes and other facial features. The man grows big and thick, being larger than most in most ways. A red and black flannel, black denim joggers, goth boots, and a beany form out from his body, covering him in their lumberjack style. An small eyebrow ring punctuates a face that defaults to stern, but contains a set of kind grey-blue eyes.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
Re: The City Of Silver (3/5)
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2017, 07:16:39 pm »

Update: The Silver City

The room quickly becomes chaos as the group all begins to morph at once. Everyone is a mess of eyes and skin and color and clothes as they struggle to figure out just who, and what, they want to be. The first to settle on a form is ((NUKE9.13*)), as she calls herself**. She is a five and a half foot dull green humanoid. High cheekbones, thin eyebrows and pointy ears make for a rather regal looking face, surrounded by shoulder length, almost wavy, black hair. A stretch band pops out of her palm and she ties it back in a ponytail.  Last of all, an old grey suit forms around her and she dons a pair of shades over red cat-like eyes. As the last details sink into place she is struck by the knowledge that this is it. There is no turning back from this. She can no longer change. "Hello world" she whispers.

With the first fully formed the rest begin to follow suit, choosing forms of their own. ((NUKE9.13)) watches in amusement as the others struggle. Someone forms into a mousy brown haired girl in a yellow dress. Her friend forms into a dog and seems to immediately regret it, letting out a series of frustrated barks at its inability to change back. A young man in some sort of military uniform forms to her right. "Postman" her mind supplies.

The next interesting form comes from ((Soshoku 234*)) who seems to be getting creative. He starts off forming a turtle shell around his back and torso, but decides to add a bit more over his head like a helmet as well. His arms elongate and split into another pair leaving them rather skinny, but he makes up for it with an extra large mouth. Instead of making clothes, he opts to turn himself dark blue, with deep green colored swirls like some sort of tattoo woven over his skin. He turns to ((NUKE9.13)) with his neathers dangling proudly in front and flashes his cheshire grin. "Hi!" he says enthusiastically. "Do you like it?"

The last of the group are forming now. A completely normal, albeit naked, man forms near the stairs. He informs the dog that he made himself as average as possible so that he could fit in no matter what. The dog sneezes and shakes its head. Another one seems to seize on to ((Sosoku234's) idea of multiple limbs, creating about 6 pairs of ams for itself, and creating a custom suit alongside it. Some sort of emaciated black figure with rows of sharp teeth that no one seems to have seen form is talking with the postman. Someone gets stuck halfway through as his shoulder is still fused to his face, and he lets out a disturbing sort of moan. Seeing this, the group almost starts a panic to check that no-one else is still forming. Only one is though, and you all wait in nervous silence as he ripples and features begin to appear. First is color, peachy skin with a slight tan. Sandy brown hair forms on top, and a short beard as well. He swells with muscles as best he can, before giving up and moving on to clothes. Checkered flannel shirt, and a thin overcoat are first. Denim joggers, goth boots, and a beanie hat soon follow. He even adds an eyebrow ring to finish up. He smiles up at the group with grey blue eyes as you all breathe a collective sigh of relief. "Perfect" he says.

Facing the back of the room as you are, the sound of the trapdoor banging open takes you all by surprise, and ((NUKE9.13)) even jumps slightly. An old woman in heavy clothing is hurrying down the stairs. She speaks in a heavy ascent that your instincts do nothing to place. "I am late, I am late. I am so sorry, it is Virskas fault. Not mine." She pauses for a moment when she sees the dog and the half-formed man "You are Virskas fault, not mine" she says, making a disappointed sound with her mouth. She motions at the group to circle with her arms. "Come, Come. I will tell you what you need to know. Here, sit. Before the stairs" She insists. "Sit, Sit. Please, Sit. Even the dog." And slowly, with shuffling and murmurs you all do. "You are like me" she begins "but new. Young." she looks down at the dog "and stupid" The dog huffs. "We are not them, the people we become. They do not like that we become them. They hunt us. They root us out and burn us, but they do not scare me. I have my children anyways." She smiles at herself. "You are born right in the midst of them, yet they do not know." She says, gesturing upwards. "I will set you out to the city soon, and you will all go and do me proud. Some of you will die, but it is the way of things. You must never come back here though, or back to my shop. You must be on your own. I will burn you out if you bring them back to me, children or no." She turns abruptly. "Come! Come! I will put you out now, there is no time. Blame Virskas if you must!" She says starting up the stairs. the six armed woman starts behind her  "You must tell us something about..." but the older woman cuts her off. "No, no. You do not need to be told. You will know. It is our nature. I have been many places. You will know."

You all follow her out into another windowless room, this one carpeted and well lit with many bulbs. Brass pipes run along one of the corners to the ceiling, and piles and shelves of fabric seemingly hastily pushed aside crowd the room. "Virskas!" the old woman calls, as a burly man with arms as thick as logs enters the room by a doorway from behind you. "Virskas, come! put them out. You cause this trouble for me. Put them out!" He glances over your group apathetically, before calling in a gruff voice "Come, I will put you out in alley. No one will see there. It is through back room."  "Not you!" the woman says, seizing the arm of the naked man. "You are too stupid, naked man. You as well." she adds, gesturing to ((Soshoku 234*)). "You can not be naked!" she explains. "here, put on clothes" she says thrusting what looks like a worn out t-shirt and pants at the naked man. "You will need something different though" she says contemplatively, before seizing a roll of fabric off a nearby shelf. "Here, yes. Tuck it here. Over your shoulder, like so!" She says wrapping you in a thick red cloth with golden borders. "oh!" she exclaims "It is nice. I am not smart to give away such cloth, but it is nice" ((Soshoku234)) is left wrapped in a manner somewhat like a loose fitting Sari or a Kasaya. She shoos you now into the back room where you rejoin the group just in time for Virskas speech. He speaks curtly with one hand already on the door knob. "This is ally. Left is poor people. If you go there you will die." He punctuates with a single gruff laugh here. "I put you out now. You probably die anyways." and with that you are all put out into the stale air of the ally.

You stand there in the ally, the whole group a little shocked by the expediency of it all, trying to orient yourselves. The ally is covered with thick cloth stretched between the rooftops, and it dead ends into a brick wall behind you. The cobblestones are slick, not from rain but from condensation that seems to leak off of a pair of brass pipes that line the base of the old womans shop. You patter out towards the light, only the sound of bare feet and a single pair of goth boots. ((Roboson)) wonders why no one else thought to make shoes. Here at last, you step out into the light of the street and finally take your first view of the city.

You are, most definitely, on a hill. The highest one around as far as you can tell, and the whole city spreads out before you. The City of Silver, you mind supplies. The City of Silver is in a cave.

Massive walls of dark rock arch up over the city on the horizon, leading upwards to a single crack of brilliant light. What must be truly massive metal chains drop from the roof to dangle lamps that must be the size of buildings so that they spill light over the city. Each lamp is a different color, bathing whole city blocks in different hues. As you watch, the lamp most directly above you flickers and changes all at once from dull blue to a brilliant yellow white, forcing you attention down to the city itself. It is awash with a riot of colors! Every wall is painted some brilliant hue, every market stall covered with thick colorful cloth. Everything is lined in a silver that catches the light and reflects it back. Mirrors cleverly set on rooftops reflect spotlights down onto street signs. Murals of fantastical creatures or dramatic battles dot every open wall. Even the stray animals seem to be splashed with color.
And then, of course, there are the people. Oh the people. People of every size, shape, and color. Your street alone is alive with activity. A gang of small albino gremlins are careening down the street rattling instruments of some kind. A golden man on the corner sells fruit in pitch black robes. A seemingly regular tortoise the size of a small car is being carried down the street borne on the shoulders of starving men. A girl in blue with silver thread woven into her braid carries a sword and a smile, and she walks with a purpose. Two pale men in purple turbans are questioning an angry red faced fat woman with what looks like a screaming loaf of bread tucked under her arm. Everywhere are voices, colors, and people of all types. Just above your head swings a sign reading "Alyona and Virskas. Quality fabrics. Entrance in front." Just as Virskas said, in the distance to your left are what appear to be less permanent homes. You think you can even see smoke rising from a few disparate points. Down the street to the right are a few more shops, selling various things from "Kalains dueling instruments" and "Borgos glassware" to the more esoteric "Richard Barblacks Southern Cavern Specimen Procurement (Custom orders encouraged)" One shop in particular stands out to you given you current predicament. A simple wooden sign reads in jade colored letters "Employment".         

Without a pause the previously naked man takes off walking to the left. "Where are you going?" calls ((Roboson)). "Virskas said we would die if we went that way." "Those idiots?" he laughs back. "They also told us we can't be naked. They haven't got a clue" he says, wrestling off his shirt, and the six armed lady joins him laughing. "Idiots!" she calls back to the group.

The City is open before you. The street goes left and right, downhill either way. There is a turnoff to another street that takes you around to the front of the clothing shop as well. Far to the left are the slums. People and shops dot the street. Where do you go? What do you do?

((*Please decide on a permanent name for your character
**Since you didn't specify, I flipped a coin for your pronouns. Let me know what you would prefer.

Also, let me know if you guys want a different glow color for your text. It's currently
Nuke9.13 = Green
Sosoku234 = Navy
Roboson = Maroon.

NPC's are a random text color.

Player cap was reduced to 5 after I realized how much writing this would be. Crazyabe and SuperNeard have priority.
Please bold your actions, and place your character's name at the beginning of every post you make.
Thanks! I hope you guys like the first update!))

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2017, 08:54:13 pm »

This one forms next, male, Humanoid, tall and well built. skin is caucasian. Two eyes in the front of the head, a single one in the back, all of them blue. mid arm length Long, pinkish purple hair. Standard number of fingers and toes on limbs. somewhat chiseled facial features. Upon the left arm a golden cross forms upon the skin like a tattoo, the name "Alexanderia K" written on it with silver. Around the body clothes form, a pair of jeans held up by a belt, and a black t shirt with a red eye upon it, sneakers upon the feet.
This one refers to itself with the designation James Doe.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 05:40:38 pm by crazyabe »
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2017, 09:20:41 pm »

Roboson walks over to the place marked employment and looks to see if there are any available jobs. Food doesn't grow on trees after all, he thinks to himself, less and less sure that it doesn't as he thinks about it more.

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2017, 10:13:50 pm »

This one shifts violently, as if it cant decide, befor e settling on ... yes, that'll do it. It takes on the form of a large scorpion, with a stripe of deep, somehow radiant black stretching head to tail. In place of a stinger, it has what looks like a small sac with flaps; The sac pulses with electrical energy before calming down. The claws form last, and the left one slightly malleable, able to bend around objects it wishes to hold; while the right is tough as a rock.
It brings doubt to your mind on how well this will work out; but at least it's capable of somewhat scratchy speech, with slightly pronounced 'e's

in pls

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2017, 11:10:37 pm »

This one shifts violently, as if it cant decide, befor e settling on ... yes, that'll do it. It takes on the form of a large scorpion, with a stripe of deep, somehow radiant black stretching head to tail. In place of a stinger, it has what looks like a small sac with flaps; The sac pulses with electrical energy before calming down. The claws form last, and the left one slightly malleable, able to bend around objects it wishes to hold; while the right is tough as a rock.
It brings doubt to your mind on how well this will work out; but at least it's capable of somewhat scratchy speech, with slightly pronounced 'e's

in pls

Technically Superneard has priority for the 5th spot, but your next if he dosent show. Also maybe if he does. It really depends on how much writing the other five players are during the next update. Probably in, but anyone from here out are definitely waitlisted.  You scorpion thing is fine, but do be aware that it may limit your abilities in some situations. For instance, anything requiring a uniform will end up with you in a different capacity than you otherwise would be. You might also have more difficulties interacting with frightened individuals, or climbing stairs quickly.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2017, 12:32:01 am »

I'm confused about what is and what is not allowed for character creation. How is a feature different from a form? How is changing from a humanoid to a scorpion not categorized as changing form?

Just edited my character. Let me know if problems.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 01:47:57 am by Supernerd »
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2017, 04:08:46 am »

((Couple of things. 1)Alley is spelled with an e. Ally is someone on your team, alley is a small side street. 2)My gender is deliberately ambiguous. I'd use the singular they/them/their, but if you don't subscribe to that writing style, random pronouns will do. 3)I totally made shoes as well. Scuffed black ones.
forming a somewhat tattered grey suit and scuffed black shoes
))

The greenskinned one cracks their knuckles and strides forth confidently. Ignoring the "employment" sign, they instead enter Richard Barblack's shop. They drink in the sights within, before approaching the shopkeeper.

"I would speak with Master Barblack", they say. "I believe he requires my services."

From a pocket in their suit they pull forth a card:
~Verde Silverchild*~
~Procurement Expert~
~Reasonable Rates~

((*The name Silverchild suggests a background as an orphan.

Let me know if I can't do this))
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 09:37:04 am by NUKE9.13 »
Long Live United Forenia!

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2017, 08:44:21 am »

in pls

Technically Superneard has priority for the 5th spot, but your next if he dosent show. Also maybe if he does. It really depends on how much writing the other five players are during the next update. Probably in, but anyone from here out are definitely waitlisted.  You scorpion thing is fine, but do be aware that it may limit your abilities in some situations. For instance, anything requiring a uniform will end up with you in a different capacity than you otherwise would be. You might also have more difficulties interacting with frightened individuals, or climbing stairs quickly.
Oh, mk.
And i already knew of those limitations.
(Hey, this is a imaginary creature i thought up when i was 7 and playing Spore. I thought through all the complications; being me.)
Pages: [1] 2 3