Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 81

Author Topic: Star Wars [Warning: Spoilers inside!]  (Read 105535 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars [Warning: Spoilers inside!]
« Reply #900 on: December 18, 2019, 10:04:02 am »

Episode III: The Thread Awakens

Also new Star Wars reviews are coming out of the woodwork...and it’s not looking so good.
Grab the popcorn, because that means INTERNET DRAMA!

Can't say I'm super surprised, but I'll withhold judgment until I actually watch the movie.  Supposedly they had to reshoot one of the scenes near the end of the movie because the prescreen audience started laughing at the fight with Palpatine or something.  That's not a good indicator.
Love, scriver~

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #901 on: December 18, 2019, 11:51:27 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: December 18, 2019, 01:24:21 pm »

FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: December 18, 2019, 01:50:26 pm »

Wasn't that bad, in my opinion. It started off clumsily but pulled itself together in the second act to a pretty predictable but flashy plot and an ending which brought to mind an opera I saw once.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: December 20, 2019, 10:11:47 am »

I read the synopsis on wikipedia and had to double check multiple full spoiler reviews because I thought surely there's no way all this fucking nonsense is really accurate, right?

Just wikitrolls, yeah?

...no?

Well shit, I suppose going from The Memberberries Awaken to The Last Jedi...OR IS IT BECAUSE ACTUALLY SUBVERSION! and trying to wrap things back up neatly wasn't going to be a simple task, not even sure Hickman would be able to work that one out without accidentally making Dr. Doom reveal himself as a direct ancestor of both Kylo and Rey in order to get Dr. Manhattan to summon Superman to put an end to their incestuousness by rubbing a lamp he got from a rather unlucky Major.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: December 20, 2019, 11:19:34 am »

I'm going to agree with IcyTea here. The first half was a complete mess, where everything and everyone felt like they were rushing to get on to the next scene as fast as possible. Why does every big movie these days seem to completely suck at editing and pacing? It did slow down enough in the second half for me to actually feel things, which I appreciated. I'd personally rank it higher than The Last Jedi, where I was just miserable throughout.

But also,
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: December 20, 2019, 12:33:54 pm »

I'm going to agree with IcyTea here. The first half was a complete mess, where everything and everyone felt like they were rushing to get on to the next scene as fast as possible. Why does every big movie these days seem to completely suck at editing and pacing?

Read up on Marcia Lucas, and how trash George's dumbass ideas for Star Wars were. You want to know why he went back and changed the films so Greedo shot first (and other brilliant edits)? He thought they were good ideas.

Edit: He did end up with a good film, for a guy who didn't understand the writing, pacing, and directing portions of his job.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 12:51:01 pm by Iduno »

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: December 20, 2019, 01:13:12 pm »

I'm glad I gave up on Star Wars so that I couldn't be heartbroken by what they're doing to it.

No feelings at all... none... I swear... no heartbreak here, just last night's burger coming back for revenge... that must be it... no other explanation.
Don't ask questions. Just consume product and then get excited for next product.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: December 20, 2019, 01:15:57 pm »

i am the senate
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: December 20, 2019, 02:40:30 pm »

I feel like I should see it for how bad it is... but it will A.) make me irrationally angry, and B.) I don't want to support Disney's shitty choices and weak effort.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: December 20, 2019, 03:21:51 pm »

I feel like I should see it for how bad it is... but it will A.) make me irrationally angry, and B.) I don't want to support Disney's shitty choices and weak effort.

I assume the lack of quality in media today is to fight piracy. It's been years since I've seen advertisements for a game/movie that looked like it was worth the effort to steal.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: December 20, 2019, 03:53:07 pm »

B) for me.

Disney has all the same capacity for originality as a stale rice cake. If it doesn't confirm to the simplest and most digestible of marketing formulas, they have no idea what to do with it. They wanted Star Wars to be their next "we can spend 10 minutes writing whatever the hell we want and slap a famous character's face on it and rake in money" franchise like they did with Pirates of the Caribbean, and the second that failed with TLJ that was it. No ability whatsoever to recover.

They have people there who know how to do it, just look at Rogue One. It's just not what Disney is about.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: December 20, 2019, 06:31:42 pm »

1)simultaneously plan a trilogy while not planning a trilogy
2)have the second movie throw out everything the first movie set
3)call all the people who didn’t like what you did entitled or something
4)Panic!
5)????
6)Profit! (Still)
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: December 20, 2019, 08:00:37 pm »

I, for one, liked it just fine. Not sure what people are upset about really. It had good action and tied things up pretty well. And, no, it was not in fact any more ridiculous than any of the old Extended Universe stuff. It's Star Wars. It was fine.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 81