Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 81

Author Topic: Star Wars [Warning: Spoilers inside!]  (Read 105420 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars [Warning: Spoilers inside!]
« Reply #1005 on: January 11, 2020, 06:58:16 am »

Spoiler: *Snort* (click to show/hide)

What even was the explanation behind that thing, anyways?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: January 11, 2020, 09:50:33 am »

Lightsaber color is meaningful. Blue is jedi calmness, red is sith aggression. Green is Luke's balance, and so on.

So all we need to do is figure out what an urine-yellow lightsaber means.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: January 11, 2020, 10:01:34 am »

Didn't the totally-doesn't-exist-anymore-because-EU-and-Disnexit-but-totally-might-reexist-as-an-entirely-original-idea Gray Jedi historically use yellow sabers? I remember there being plenty of fan theories about our heroine putting the Rey in Gray Grey Jedi, considering her very unique conflict between the two sides of the force and being drawn towards a middle ground that no one else has done before.

Still doesn't explain where the fuck it came from though.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: January 11, 2020, 10:04:08 am »

Grey Jedi use silver lightsabers, as I recall. Though in the old EU Corran Horn's lightsaber was also silver, without him being particularly drawn to the Dark Side. Of course, that means very little given that the whole Jedi thing was portrayed rather differently when those books were written.

Anyway, Ahsoka's lightsaber is now silver/grey as I recall, so...make of this as you will?
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: January 11, 2020, 10:20:06 am »

Didn't the totally-doesn't-exist-anymore-because-EU-and-Disnexit-but-totally-might-reexist-as-an-entirely-original-idea Gray Jedi historically use yellow sabers? I remember there being plenty of fan theories about our heroine putting the Rey in Gray Grey Jedi, considering her very unique conflict between the two sides of the force and being drawn towards a middle ground that no one else has done before.

Very unique conflict... except for Anakin and Luke, and if you press me, Kylo and Ezra, before her?
I think *foo struggles between the light and the dark* is kind of standard for main-character force-sensitives in the franchise
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: January 11, 2020, 10:23:30 am »

Don't you dare forget Samuel L. Windu now! He who also had a lightsaber color that indicated his middle ground between the dark and light sides (or was at least retconned to be such).

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: January 11, 2020, 01:17:06 pm »

In EU lore, and by that I mean the video games (because I am an uncultured swine), and by that I actually mean the kotor games (because that was the only games I ever saw this mentioned in) yellow was the colour of the Sentinel branch of the Jedi Order.

From Wookiepedia (didn't wookiepedia use to be in their url?):
Spoiler: Sentinel stuff (click to show/hide)

A Jedi has to construct their own lightsabre to become a Jedi. It's part of the whole samurai/knight romance aspect.
Love, scriver~

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: January 11, 2020, 01:23:23 pm »

Supports my thesis. Sentinels were urinery

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: January 11, 2020, 03:37:30 pm »

Under current canon, from expanded material for the Clone Wars cartoon I think, yellow lightsabers are supposed to be reserved for temple guardians, the jedi assigned as security to the jedi temple and other locations they consider sacred. They get a yellow lightsaber given to them to use as part of their uniform since they shed their normal identity for the duration of their term as a guard.

For Rey? Who knows? Not like many of the long term star wars people seemed to have much decision making involvement in the movies.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: January 11, 2020, 03:39:08 pm »

The color of a lightsabre means everything, yet nothing
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: January 11, 2020, 04:54:07 pm »

If you check the hardcore wikipedia-fed superfandom, lightsaber colors are some kind of fanciful flower language with all kinds of secretive, intricate meanings.

If you play the games you can make it whatever color you want as long as it matches your outfit.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: January 11, 2020, 05:25:07 pm »

The big secret of Star Wars is that it's exactly as inconsistent as Star Trek or any other decade-spanning science fiction franchise, the only difference is that Star Wars is ashamed of it for some reason.

Canon is almost entirely up to the era, the realities of the given medium, the writer, and however much policing George Lucas/Lucasfilm felt like doing at that moment. Juhani couldn't be lesbian in KOTOR but now some gay extras in EP 9 are okay. Hyperspace mechanics are basically plot magic that puts characters wherever they need to be. The Force can do whatever the writer says, which has ended up being anything and everything including ghosts, lightning, healing, weather, moving rocks, ships and planets, vampirism, zombies, electricity, resurrection, astral projection, miraculous conception, and more that I can't recall at the moment. Are there Mandalorians left or are they extinct, and are they a race, religion, ethnic group or nation? Why can lightsabers be blocked by mere metal in books and games, but never ever in the films? Do blasters require ammo or not? Is the Force just a natural phenomena, or does it have a personality and will similar to a god? Are the Sith a necessary part of balancing the Force, or is one side supposed to wipe out the other?

Pretending canon ever mattered, or even existed, for something as minor as lightsaber color is just wankery.

Besides, all the Jedi (that anybody cared about) are dead and all the Jedi books are toast, so there's simply nobody left to tell Rey she can't have a yellow lightsaber.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: January 13, 2020, 08:57:28 pm »

The Jedi books aren't toast, Rey has them. You see them in a drawer at the end of TLJ and she reads them in RoS.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: January 13, 2020, 09:08:04 pm »

Why can lightsabers be blocked by mere metal in books and games, but never ever in the films?

Lucas forgot this himself on occasion, but Vader's armor and Grevious's bodyguards' weapons are both shown blocking lightsabers in the movies.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: January 13, 2020, 09:18:08 pm »

The Jedi books aren't toast, Rey has them. You see them in a drawer at the end of TLJ and she reads them in RoS.
How do you know these were Jedi books and not some random Gungan smut, though?
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 81