Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: The Monster Master Guild  (Read 5038 times)

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
Re: The Monster Master Guild
« Reply #90 on: December 23, 2017, 07:54:11 pm »

Teach Pea-Pod the ability to break-bones for 5 gold!...

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 23, 2017, 10:09:22 pm »

Go ask someone about monster breeding.
Don't worry too much about the one mistake, Smoke Mirrors. Your character was memorable for all the demonology and story writing.

I’m running a game/mechanics test called Fate/Mechanics Test. Feel free to check it out.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 26, 2017, 12:06:26 am »

After all the other things I was going to do, I go and talk to ALL the NPCs. Starting with the penguin.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 26, 2017, 12:42:08 am »

Wasnt their some dude where I can buy off someone's monster because everyone has two monsters except for me, FeelsBadMan, maybe the merchant sells monsters stored in potion? Who knows!

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 26, 2017, 10:00:37 am »

Ask around to see if anyone knows the location of some sort of shadow monster.
Don't worry too much about the one mistake, Smoke Mirrors. Your character was memorable for all the demonology and story writing.

I’m running a game/mechanics test called Fate/Mechanics Test. Feel free to check it out.

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 26, 2017, 10:16:46 pm »

Figure out if I could join the party.
Spoiler: In? (click to show/hide)
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 28, 2017, 12:31:40 am »

The Mysterious Monster Mage in the Library identifies your monsters!

Spoiler: "Heartache" (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: "Barrel Ghost" (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: "Peapod" (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: "Ghost" (click to show/hide)

It's master smiles at your monsters politely as her monster recants information about each of yours. The old man in the center of the room wearing the teal sweater you immediately recognize as the ex-arch mage Theodore Sterkhekse! Once the ninth wizard in the second order of Aerowell, Theodore is perhaps one of the greatest spell casters of his generation. He's certainly one of the last living mages of the previous order which lived before the time of the Last King. His words hum through the air, as if his ancient power yearned to be used again"You young lads sure have some interesting monsters. I wonder where such strapping gentlemen as yourself could have gotten monsters so foreign to this area. His crackling smile makes it very clear that he knows exactly who you are and where you got your monsters. "That old master couldn't help but open up the shrine after all these years could he? Just like him to end the world when he's too old to save it a second time. If any of you boys need help teaching your monsters spells and other magic, just talk to me or my children in any library. The man gives you a wink and suddenly your wallets feel a little heavier. For saving the world and all that, he says as he turns his attention back to the books.

In the main tavern, Tario inquires with the merchant about buy monsters. The old merchant looks oddly familiar, but you cannot place your finger on where you've seen him before. Monster in a potion you say? No no. Carrying around monsters in tiny containers which are much smaller than they are would defy the laws of both magic and science. That be an incredibly stupid idea one that no one would ever be able to sell to the general public. Silly monster master. However, I do have some Tasty Meat here which will help you catch monsters for yourself. Only 3 gold coins per serving. I'm also selling healing herbs and antidote. And lastly, a vial of moon dew which is said to attract rare moon type monsters when poured on the Meteorite in the forest to the south. The herbs and antidote cost 5, but the vial costs 10 coins.

Will, after returning inside, asks around about shadow monsters and breading. Unfortunately it seems as though there is no active monster shrine in this location, so monster synthesis is currently impossible here. The woodland guards who are drinking and telling tall tales with their morning cereal give you some good intel. "Yeah, one town over, Wicklewild, you'll find a working Major Shrine to the Goddess. Though there's likely a few scattered minor shrines across the various areas along the way. As for a shadow monster, you may be able to find one in the Ancient Graveyard or Deriloft's Cave. One or both of those scary places should have a few shadowy monster hanging about. Though, you'll have to fight hard to get there, road's been blocked by some sort of barrier. Yup, can't even get back no matter how hard we try. Looks like another long day of alcoholism training.

Selaphiel goes and tries to talk to the penguin, but only a few SQUACK!s later, he quickly catches on to why bird-brain is an insult. The monster's master laugh's like a lunatic for a bit then says, "My monster is dumb as a rock. It can understand human speech, but can't speak a word of it. Luckily, I speak bird." The man then makes a series of clucking noises, squacks, bird calls, and rooster impressions loudly and inaccurately. Its absolutely painful to watch. The penguin looks highly aggravated, facepalms, and goes back to eating its surprisingly healthy and well balanced breakfast. You look back at the man pretending to be a swan standing on a table and wonder who's the unintelligent one here. When the man finishes his interpretive dance and out of tune bird-call medley, he sits back down and says, "See? So dumb it doesn't even speak its own language." He then returns to shoving porridge into his face as the penguin passes you a note.
Dear Monster Master,
I joined this master so that he would rescue my family from a terrible fate involving an ancient prophecy, a sea beast, and the sinking of my homeland. I was to be a hero for my people. Yet here I sit miles and miles away trapped in tavern with a master who can neither read nor write. Yet I find that on my travels I can still bring salvation to the country which inspires me to be a hero, despite these obstacles placed before me. If you travel far to the west and save my people, simply tell them that Perigus sent you and you will be rewarded handsomely for your bravery.
You have received a side quest! The penguin returns to writing. It seems he gives out notes like these to any competent looking adventurer he sees.

John wanders through the forest with ghost, completely and utterly lost. He looks for monsters, completely oblivious to the fact that his monster is better suited to support a team by debuffing enemies, as opposed to solo fighting. But the two merrily continue onward looking for monsters to fight. John suddenly sees a path leading back to the main road, and considers taking it. However, only a few slow moments later, a rustling in the bushes draws John's attention. Does john return back to the tavern, or rush the nearby monster?

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 28, 2017, 12:43:25 am »

Chat up the pink cloakbeast at the lowest table. Continue talking directly to monsters and ignoring their masters.

Oh and I'm going to name the Barrel Ghost 'Stave'.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 01:06:06 am by Maximum Spin »

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 28, 2017, 01:06:54 am »

"Hmmmm, rare monsters y'say? Well I'm going to need some of that jerky and a vial of moon dew. Here's your, 13 Gold. Final question though, even if monsters can't be stored into energy balls. Couldn't they be in enslaved? Sure a human couldn't beat out a slave pig monster, but if the human conditioned a evil Rhino monster for example to dominate the slave pig monster; than they could start their very own evil slave breeding farm! Basically do you know if slavers of monsters exist in this world?, the evil version of monster breeders."
Purchase my Jerky and Moon(tain) Dew.

If there is extra time leftover, go to Gereyhmia and ask him about the main quest

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 28, 2017, 08:58:57 am »

Talk to Theodore about teaching my raven magic.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 12:48:47 pm by Smoke Mirrors »

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 28, 2017, 10:25:50 am »

I want to figure out what the undead, zombie, and normal abilities are, as well as how to make Heartache faster.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 29, 2017, 12:21:46 am »

Stave and Selaphiel head across the room to talk to the monster mage sitting with their master. The master is eating a, surprisingly healthy breakfast, of mixed fruit with a mimosa. You begin to wonder if only alcoholics become masters, or if the job drives all of it's participants to the bottle. You also begin to wonder if it is truly the morning and all the masters are drinking with their breakfast. Or perhaps its technically very late and they're eating breakfast with their drinks. What is breakfast food anyways and why are some dishes regulated to a single meal so early in the morning that many people fail to eat it on a regular basis. Which is a shame because common idioms state that it is far more important than the other two meals. Why even have a three meal system, who decided that anyhow? And.... you realize the monster mage is staring at you and the thoughts seem to stop. You feel an embarrassed and foreign presence slip awkwardly from your mind as your thoughts which seemed so naturally yours become disentangled from one who seemed to be doing a good deal of the thinking. "Sorr-rr-y" stammers the monster. "I was th-ink-ink-ing to0 loud ag-g-gain. Must ha-ve got-tt-en you mixed up in it." The rather snobbish looking master snaps at you two, a slice of orange balanced perfectly atop their fork without actually having pierced the flesh of the citrus. "No need to apologize to such a weak mind. If he got swept up in your absentminded breakfast musing, he has no hope of ever being a successful master." The snobby master turned their attention back to their bowl of fruit, retrieving sections of fruit flesh with incredible dexterity and precision. You hear the quietest sorry slip into your thoughts as the monster mage went back to eating.

Will talks to the wizened wizard about teaching his raven magic. The old man smiles, his teeth like a military cemetery after an earthquake. "Its been a very very long while since I've had an apprentice, master William. Though it has been a long long while since the battle of Argran's Throat, and those greenskins aren't going to kill themselves once I'm gone. And who would I be if I didn't help with the effort to save life as we know it. Fine fine, you talked me into it you silver tongued child. Let me see the beast. The old man inspects your raven and the room feels filled with a static charge. "Sure sure, this is a fine specimen. It can learn a few spells. Mostly undeath spells, but also perhaps a wind spell or two would be appropriate for its typology and heritage. Yes yes, that sounds about right. It appears it can learn two more abilities at this time. My recommendation would be to teach it a ranged spell such as Dark Bolt, though its increased mobility means that it could make good use of spells like Pit and Fog of Darkness which control the field. And then of course there are flying type specific moves such as Birds of a Feather which increases the movespeed of adjacent allies by 2 or Skydive which allows free movement to any square after a 1 turn delay. And then there is of course, the option to investigate your own ideas. Yes yes, new spells are born of both creativity and necessity, a process which is both rewarding and useful. But I'm rambling such a long long time, what would you like to do?I can teach spells of all kinds for 5 gold each.

Meanwhile as Will talked to the wizened magus, Ashe returned to Ryook to learn more about abilities, "Ah. I knew this day would come. I explain abilities to you. Abilities are anything a monster can do that most humans cannot. Lifting a great weight, ability. Running faster and faster, ability. Jumping over mountain, ability. These are things monsters do better than most men. Men can learn a few abilities too. I, Ryook, can do as monsters can. It is a simple matter of learning and training. Even master mage Theo can do abilities. Learning to tap what makes you what makes you is the key. For example, which you want? Undead? Easy. Undeath makes undead undead. Not dead anymore is the thing that makes them them. So abilities like Necrosis, Restless Spirits, Dark Bolt, Ethereal Chains, and Lifebane all come from that core power. Zombie though, thats different. Undead is what they are, but zombie is who they are. It is their family, their gentilizio, their famiglia, their gruppo. It makes them unique in their big group, tells you more about them. Especially if their subfamily doesn't match main family. Zombies know a few unique moves, Braaaains, Rotten Core, Zombie Resilience, and Play Dead. Very tough family. Very very tough. Normal type moves are moves which almost any monster can learn. They require no special abilities or innate powers, yet are often quite useful. Tackle, Groundslam, Ki Punch, Rock Break, Chop, Drop Kick, and Double Fist Punch are just a few. This kind of ability is often refereed to as fighting or general, but normal is the most common and broad classification. Lastly, as for making your monster faster, a few months of training or using a move stone would do the trick. But seeing as you're on a quest, it seems like finding a movestone out in the dangerous areas is the only option. A few doses of ectoplasm may help too.

Tario purchases the green fizzy liquid and a unit of jerky, happy to know that a rare monster is in his future. He then inquires a bit about monster slavers, the merchant's smile twitched a moment and then disappeared completely.His false happy customer service attitudes shatters as a grave face begins across his now furrowed brow and then radiates outward across his entire face. You reflexively make a loud gulping noise. "Indeed. As many will tell you, the mistreatment of monsters is the greatest crime a master can commit. Slavers we call them. Cruel and horrible masters which force their monsters to fight and work without sharing the bond that keeps them together. This twists the monsters, making them angry or depressed, occasionally even transforming them completely if they cannot escape the slaver. It is a dark and twisted fate, and a whole section of masters, the Yellow Cloaks, work to find and end this misuse of our innate power to command monsters to our will. Let's both hope you never encounter such evil masters. You quickly leave the merchant after that, fearing the old man may start yelling or beating people with his cane, and quickly run into another old man, Gereyhma. "Well Tario, it seems you and your party are about ready to leave. All you have to do is travel to the next village by foot. Normally I'd send you through the shrine, but its horribly corrupted right now. Your job is simple, all you have to do is make sure the Wicklewind Wood Shrine is functional and that little demon git was only after our shrine. I'd hate to think of what would happen if the power of the Goddess wanned because her shrines became corrupted. I've located an old map, and it seems that the only way to the next village without using the Goddess's power is to go through a series of difficult monster infested areas filled with danger, adventure, and loot. After that, it's a simple matter of checking on the shrine, realizing everything is totally ok, and then coming home. Oh, and see if you can find something to cleanse an ancient shrine of an unholy and evil tainting curse while you're out on this little errand too. Gramps gives you the map! "The first area is the Forest of Fylaga. Lovely area, has a fair amount of natural herbs and spices to collect, plus some ruins, and even some special shrines to Fylaga the goddess of the area. Not to mention the Moonstone which spawns monsters unique to this area. After that you'll pass through several other areas, each harder than the last, until your reach the destination of the second shrine.
 Very very simple quest, a Monk-Monkey could do it.
The old master smiles a smile full of spiderwebs and lies. He seems worried, very very worried.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 29, 2017, 12:31:12 am »

Apply ectoplasm, and I want Heartache to learn a dash attack. Specifically, he dashes at an opponent that is less than 4 squares away, deals double base damage, and decreases all incoming damage the following turn by 1 damage, to a minimum of 1 damage unless the attack just doesn't do damage. Ok?

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 29, 2017, 07:39:06 pm »

((You ever heard of a thing called balance, @Glass. You expect a Charge attack that first makes you move than deals damage, makes you immune to damage for a single turn, and that's not even it. It deals double damage compared to a normal attack, lol..; yeah seems totally fair and would be introduced, understand your monster is quite slow so getting a ability to compensate for that might be more difficult than natural.)

Is ready to leave the tavern and pulling Selaphiel with Barrel Ghost so that we can get moving

"Let's actually beat the first shrine before we go to Penguintown, also I have some business with the Meteorite around their.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 29, 2017, 07:47:09 pm »

I can try, SC. I'm not expecting it to work, but I can try.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8