Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: The Monster Master Guild  (Read 5036 times)

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Monster Master Guild
« on: December 18, 2017, 07:54:47 pm »

The Monster Master's Guild
After a long hard journey, you finally arrive at the not strictly illegal Master's Guild. There are many tables around, and even a few patrons drinking the mediocre ale. The place is rather dingy, but it has good bones and will probably get cleaned up once funds start rolling in. Once upon a time Monster Guilds had once been the life blood of the kingdom, but when the Last King placed a ban on the guilds and outlawed adventuring, they quickly fell out of favor, disappearing or going underground. Without adventurer's to fight monsters and mayhem across the lands, much of the world fell into chaos, danger, and death. Walls rose up around the great cities and few dared travelled between them. After the death of the Last King and the establishment of the magitocracy, guilds of all sorts have been decriminalized and the new government has begrudgingly allowed them to help restore the kingdom to its former glory.

Spoiler: Character Sheet (click to show/hide)

This a plot heavy monster taming RPG. It will likely have it's own discord server for rolls and OOC discussion, but the IC will remain here on B12. The main theme I'm going for with this game is an emulation of classic Dragon Quest games, heavy with plot and secrets and interesting characters, while also having the cool monster mastery system. It is my goal to stay as far away from the typical pokemon motifs and weak plots and have a dynamic and interesting storyline.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 11:00:24 pm by Roboson »

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Monster Master Guild
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 07:55:30 pm »

Reserved

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 07:55:47 pm »

o/
Ash Hong is here, as described in the Discord.

EDIT: To quote what I had:
"Ash Hong, street urchin and novice runesmith (stolen spellbooks are useful). Vaguely Asian, has black hair and red eyes, wears mostly those two colors."
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 07:58:17 pm by Glass »
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 07:56:57 pm »

Name: Tario Felheart
Physical Description: Short and slim, with a naturally tanned skin and his long curly black hair, with hazel eyes to contrast. Wear cultist robes, at this point.
Backstory: Was taken as a child in some peasant village from a cultist raid for new members and was made to serve some weird cult that talked about duality too much that made him want to yearn to lose association with that he developed through the years. He was an apprentice of one of the high-ranking priests of the cult and only over through experience has finally been able to escape and start his own free life
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 08:22:32 pm by Shadowclaw777 »

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2017, 07:59:08 pm »

Name: John Doe
Physical description: Fairly Average looking guy, wears a pointy red hat and a Long Coat over a pair of shorts. Probably. he might be wearing other clothes under his coat.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2017, 08:14:16 pm »

Quote from: discord
[5:29 PM] Maximum Spin: Uh, Selaphiel, youngish with skin and hair of intertwined obsidian and emerald, backstory: some kind of nephilim descendant, but otherwise ordinary.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2017, 09:57:10 pm »

The four of you seem to be the only recruits at this time. The old stone building resembles something like a church, perhaps a fortress, made into a lodge of sorts. The ancient building was one of the first adventurer's guilds ever built and has a long and colorful history. Fires had been common. The building has burned down and been rebuilt over half a dozen times, each time a different architect and more than half of them insane. The final lodge was as intricate and unusual as it was beautiful and well designed, once you get past the multilevel strangeness of the old building.

Only a few people remember the old days of adventurer's and monster fighting, so many had been content to hid behind the walls when they rose to defend people from the monsters beyond. Though there were a few geezers who remembered the old days. Among them, the oldest and the geezierest of them wall was Gereyhmia. The old fart was more ancient than dirt, and could show you the universe's baby pictures at embarrassing and inopportune times. He'll spin ya a yarn long enough to knit a sweater for a dragon. A feat he swears he did once.

"Ye young gits, I have alf a mind.... to send you on ye way. Bein a master ain't what it used to be. Back in the glory days men and monsters raised hell and kept the lands safe from the nasties beyond the borders. Now the building is full of dust and cobwebs. Half the doors are locked and no one knows what anything does anymore. And whats worse, we don't have any monsters for you to fight with. Its sorry state of affairs, but there's no need to worry, I know for a fact we kept a few locked away. No one else knows about these little buggers, and I'll make sure you rot if you tell anyone we kept them all this time. So this'll be our little secret. The old cook grabs a nearby  barrel lid, spiders and dust shoot out. He reaches in to the barrel and pulls out a fistfull of dirt. Then pulling a pouch from, we'll, you try and unsee that... he places a few seeds in the dirt, spits loudly onto the mound, and in only a few seconds a few creatures sprout up.

They ain't mush, but they're tasty as hell and full of the vitamins you need to grow up big like me. Now pick your favorite, introduce yourselves to your teammates, and get ready to fight. Ya boys got a basement to clean out!

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2017, 10:05:36 pm »

Selaphiel seizes an eggy eggplant, grinning.

"HELLO MY NAME IS SELAPHIEL."

ETA: to clarify yes I am definitely physically lifting the 3-foot eggplant.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 10:10:35 pm by Maximum Spin »

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2017, 10:05:53 pm »

I'll take the mushroom one. Do they have any specific name other than that?
Anyway, the name's Ash Hong.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 10:09:56 pm by Glass »

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2017, 10:06:42 pm »

"i'll take the mushroom, mine name is john by the way."
John says picking it up.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 10:09:22 pm by crazyabe »
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2017, 10:08:22 pm »

"Very well, it seems we have the opportunity to choose our beginning monsters that are all moving vegetables... very much an association between plants relating to birth and growth, and the birth of our monster journey, and other such nonsense. I choose the purple mushroom, because it looks addictive! Maybe it has posion attack who knows. Wait everyone just chose the mushroom, fine I will take the pea-pod because I played PvZ in my free time."
Choose the Pea-Pod plant, knowing that the thing is three feet tall and can't be picked up.

You can call me Tario...
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 10:11:02 pm by Shadowclaw777 »

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2017, 10:24:53 pm »

The old geezer produces a key from a hidden pouch, swiftly pops it in a nearby door, and gives the thing a good shove. It swings open in a shower of dust. The eggplants sneeze in the dust cloud.  Been a few decades and more than a couple earthquakes since anyone's been down here. No idea what's awaiting you, but whenever you're ready, head on down. And don't come back up until you get to the monster shrine at the end! Oh, and take these, you're going to need them.

He hands you each a blank journal and a few dusty pages about each monster. You'll want to write down everything you can in those journals, otherwise you won't know a gingleak from a monklewing. With that the old man wandered off to drink a good mead. The door stands open, a set of stairs reaching out into the darkness beyond.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2017, 10:26:28 pm »

I Head down, Pushing Ash down in front of me.
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2017, 10:29:24 pm »

Dodges John's push, walks down behind him.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2017, 10:29:36 pm »

Holding my Pea-Plant monster's hand and questionably thinking whether their should be some kind of energy storage-balls for these creatures, rush down to meet my first encounter!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8