Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trying to figure out a teleporting werebeast.  (Read 470 times)

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Trying to figure out a teleporting werebeast.
« on: December 18, 2017, 03:06:27 am »

Fort got attacked by a werejaguar. I hate werebeasts, what with the biting and such.
Thankfully the only dwarf that got bit (and didn't immediately die) got spinal damage. Down for the count, until the full moon.
So while he's down, I have the others wall him in. A single space within a wooden walls, and I floor over the empty hole at the top.
The full moon comes by, I expect a trapped werejaguar... and he's chasing cats and fisherdwarves outside it.
Do they move, regardless of blockages, when they transform? I'm puzzled here.
Quote from: KillerClowns
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to figure out a teleporting werebeast.
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 03:13:50 am »

Do they move, regardless of blockages, when they transform?
Nope. Perhaps he moved diagonally?
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 04:03:17 am »

Diagonally up? I haven't checked in a while, but I thought walls included a a floor above. So with a floor in the center above, there shouldn't have been a gap.
He wasn't able to move diagonally on ground level. The busing was a full square.
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 04:13:25 am »

I've seen claims that you need to floor over walls to prevent diagonal up/down pathing, but I'm not convinced myself. Regardless, it shouldn't have climbed up without something to trigger climbing.
Climbing downwards?

If you provide a save and a good description of where the were was contained people may take a look at it to try to figure out how to escape.

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2017, 04:30:12 am »

If that's true, I might consider the delivery of injury to be a good enough motivation to climb.
If I get another chance, I'll try flooring over the walls, too.
Unfortunately I'm a season or two past, now. He bit (and killed) a couple more fisherdwarves, then shotput a cat and followed it into a pond just before transforming back to dwarf. Problem solved, I guess.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2017, 01:17:05 pm »

I wouldn't know. I've always floored over walls ever since my very first efforts. I never actually knew walls came with floors attached. I always assumed if you didn't put a floor down, it left an empty hole for things to get in.