Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Building Kaiju Island  (Read 941 times)

Salkryn

• Bay Watcher
  • Pining for the fnords.
    • View Profile
Building Kaiju Island
« on: December 15, 2017, 05:34:18 am »

So, I want to build a world with a LOT of monsters for my dwarves to face off against, and a large amount of savage fauna. I've read that certain megabeasts such as dragons won't be full-sized before 1000 years have elapsed, but building a world that old massively slows down the game on anything larger than pocket size. Related to size and age, building a high-savagery and high beast world with a long history almost always ends up with only goblins and dying dwarf civs by the time I start the game. What I'm trying to build--and I don't know if it's possible--is a world with surviving civilizations for trade and high numbers of dangerous wildlife, ideally with all of the supplies to build a healthy metalworking industry to arm up a solid military. Any suggestions you might have to achieve this goal would be welcome.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
Re: Building Kaiju Island
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2017, 05:36:39 am »

Eats popcorn
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2017, 05:56:23 am »

It's very tough to get playable civilizations to survive more than few years in high-megabeast world gens. I have usually settled with 10-50 year histories to get the monster densities I want in similar scenarios.
See this thread for some ideas how to set up the world gen parameters.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 07:07:54 am by Staalo »
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2017, 06:00:29 am »

So, I want to build a world with a LOT of monsters for my dwarves to face off against, and a large amount of savage fauna. I've read that certain megabeasts such as dragons won't be full-sized before 1000 years have elapsed, but building a world that old massively slows down the game on anything larger than pocket size. Related to size and age, building a high-savagery and high beast world with a long history almost always ends up with only goblins and dying dwarf civs by the time I start the game. What I'm trying to build--and I don't know if it's possible--is a world with surviving civilizations for trade and high numbers of dangerous wildlife, ideally with all of the supplies to build a healthy metalworking industry to arm up a solid military. Any suggestions you might have to achieve this goal would be welcome.

Edit dragon raws (they're in creature_standard.txt) and mod them to be fully grown at only 100 years, by changing the line [BODY_SIZE:1000:0:25000000] into [BODY_SIZE:100:0:25000000]. For more (relative) chance of dragons being spawned during worldgen, up their [FREQUENCY] While you're at it, remove their [BONECARN] tag, and add [NO_EAT] and [NO_DRINK]. Don't know if the latter two really help, but according to the wiki, creatures with BONECARN aren't very prolific.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 06:02:41 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
  • local satanist practices black magic in cornfields
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2017, 09:49:57 am »

have the history be very short. and if you want to, make the world small and number of civs low.
this sets up a small world with struggling civilizations in a world full of savagery and horrid beasts. (I would recommend frequent minerals, just to deal with this)
Someone hands you a basketful of Jeses.
Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.
You ever get so mad you fuck a donkey?