Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: They Are Billions - Hardcore Survival RTS  (Read 18633 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: They Are Billions - Hardcore Survival RTS
« Reply #60 on: January 21, 2018, 04:08:41 am »

Yeah if the horde ever gets through for me that’s game. Deleting houses seems to be like throwing water on a bushfire.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 21, 2018, 05:16:55 am »

Use hunters to lure the horde away.  One at a time, as its often suicide.  If the horde is smashing a row of houses, try to literally run your hunter between the horde and the house.  Then when the house breaks, that's when you get out of there.  With luck, rather than aggroing the next house, the new zombies will give chase.  Another thing that can save your base is building a wood wall and then putting a ballista behind it.  Wood walls don't get converted and once the ballista is at half health it starts getting defensive barriers.  So generally the ballista will finish.  Using those two strategies combined with aggressive bulldozing, I survived having 20 fast zombies enter the base day 8 on the hardest map which
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
it was... let's just say there was a lot of pausing, and not everyone survived.
For reference:
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 21, 2018, 09:29:49 am »

Honestly TAB is a better illustration of the importance of urban planning than Sim City ever was.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 21, 2018, 09:58:01 am »

PTW, this game design sounds pretty awesome.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 21, 2018, 10:01:42 am »

I’ve gotten up to day 90... playing at 23%
Gotta make it to 120- not sure how many oil-units i’m likely to need for the last wave.
Currently running 10 rocketeers and 5 mechgents... think it’ll be enough?
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 21, 2018, 10:03:44 am »

Depends how many chokepoints and turrets you have, i imagine.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 21, 2018, 10:07:09 am »

I don’t tend to run many ballistae or executioners... I have towers on which I phased archers out for snipers.
It’s not a crazy farm-friendly map either, so maybe I should be dropping more executioners...

But yeah, is the final wave still all at one choke point?
I’ve cleared the map out.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 21, 2018, 10:14:30 am »

The final wave comes from all four directions.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 21, 2018, 10:31:39 am »

I am very glad to have been told that before crunch time.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 21, 2018, 11:33:59 am »

It also pulls in all the still-living zombies on the map. Not sure but I think it also interacts with the doomtown to draw more if you haven't destroyed it yet.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 21, 2018, 12:39:28 pm »

I’ve gotten up to day 90... playing at 23%
Gotta make it to 120- not sure how many oil-units i’m likely to need for the last wave.
Currently running 10 rocketeers and 5 mechgents... think it’ll be enough?
I don't know what the final wave is like on that difficulty.

I'd get more mortars either way.  I go for 8 thanatos or a shock tower at every choke in my games, maybe you should go for... I don't know, 4 thanatos, 4 snipers, then either 2 executioners, 2 titans, or 8 more snipers?  That's probably more than you need but its better to over-prepare, however bad you think the final wave is its worse than that.  Expect it around day 111 and you'll get 24 hours of warning.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 21, 2018, 06:30:04 pm »

Haven't gotten past the second wave yet, on 23%. I generally go out with my starting four archers to gather resources and kill a swarm or two of the basic zombies, two soldiers two archers/replace by snipers per tower, two at each chokepoint with a great ballista. Are snaketraps good? Haven't tried them yet. Double layered wooden walls as I haven't gotten better than those yet, still gets blown through if we're not careful. Am very grateful a little iron spawned in the beginning area this time, as well as an oil hole, that'll be useful in a while.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 21, 2018, 06:50:41 pm »

Staketraps (I assume, rather than snaketraps) are great. Do damage, slow zombies, and dirt cheap.

I'm surprised you're falling at the second wave.
If you're having difficulty, make two layers of 2-thick walls so you can fall back behind the second when the first layer is breached.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 21, 2018, 07:57:01 pm »

Got a lucifer as my second mayor bonus, man is this good! Three waves have all been burned to death, also rangers are really nice in a group. In the process of replacing them all with snipers, I decided to send them to battle instead of dismissing, now I have nine vet rangers holding out versus the zombies on the other side of the map for the past 22 days, only one casualty. Also didn't know you had to keep the wooden workshop around to keep the research, so I had my soldiers destroy it... Yeah, this'll take a while to reresearch it all.
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 22, 2018, 04:21:09 am »

Ugh this game's addicting, gotten to the final wave twice now on 55%, lost both due to neglecting certain areas in defense. Due to the way the map genned we only had three choke points, had I had more thanatos or maybe another wall layer we might've won but for only playing for two days I'm getting close. From what I read having 8 lucifers running outside is not what I should be doing, but I like it, they usually manage to hold down a wave on their own without any help from turrets or snipers or thanatos for a while. My general setup is a sniper tower aiming for highest level, an executor for highest, and then another for closest and a shock tower, with double walls and at least four layers of barbwire. Behind the walls too is a double layer of barbwire, to hurt anyone who gets through. This rocked all the waves till the final, only one break NE earlier, which is actually where we had the breach that ended it. Maybe I should've posted the lucifers there since I knew it was a weak point, the area leading up to it was too skinny to allow proper turreting so I just had solders and sniper towers instead.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8