Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Mananauts! | Wizardly Away Team | [4/4 Players] | The Streets of Tucson  (Read 12814 times)

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
Re: Mananauts! | Wizardly Away Team | [4/4 Players] | Welcome, Mananauts
« Reply #60 on: December 18, 2017, 12:31:09 pm »

Alright waitlist me. I was gonna wait until I had a character finished but that'll take forever.

Bah, even with my wonderfully streamlined sheet process? Ah well, it's good to see you and you're on the waitlist.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 18, 2017, 01:08:16 pm »

Now that mental health is relatively stable, make sure Farris doesn't hurt himself in his mood.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Yottawhat

• Bay Watcher
  • New face, new look.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 18, 2017, 05:28:56 pm »

Randall, upon seeing how his arm is now resembling (and feeling) like a ribbon made of meat, calmly express his discomfort of the addition of this new spaghetti appendage.

Spoiler: Spoiled for size (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 07:59:58 pm by Yottawhat »
(1) You start forward with determination and certainty. You carry this determination with you right into the gaping crater that opens under your feet. You fall into a pit. The sounds of combat above dim, along with the light from the suns. In the quiet below, you hear some other noises instead.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 18, 2017, 06:38:58 pm »

Please waitlist me along with IO. I would have earlier had I been around.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 18, 2017, 10:30:40 pm »

Week 7: Scalies and Multi-Color Latin

Randall Mixon (Yotta)

Randall, upon seeing how his arm is now resembling (and feeling) like a ribbon made of meat, calmly express his discomfort of the addition of this new spaghetti appendage.

Spoiler: Spoiled for size (click to show/hide)

You do not keep it together. You don't keep it together on the grass. You do not keep it together when Eiyal grabs you and hauls you back down into the ship. You don't really keep it at all together while the ship's medical officer pokes your wound with a stick. [3] It's not terribly helpful to anyone, but it does give you a little catharsis.

[5+3 (Skilled Healer)] [Chaos? Yes. Maleveolent/Benign/Beneficial? Benign. Severe? Yes.]  The ship's medical officer, though not at all impressed by your screaming, does an excellent job of patching you up. The wound in your arm disappears, feeling returns, and you feel considerably less light-headed. You experimentally raise the arm and flex the fingers, preparing to thank the healer. Which is when you notice that there are tiny scales growing all up and down the arm. The healer looks at the scales with a tired expression.

"Yep. Won't cause problems. Might want to get a book on snake health or something so you know what kind of skin fungus it can get. Still, nerves are fixed."

The medical officer seems otherwise unconcerned with your predicament.

Eiyal (Harry)

"Aw man, she's pretty cool."

Stand up anyway and perform the time-honored sword-mage ritual of Your Injuries Are But Flesh Wounds.

Then put Mixon into the nearest vat of healing juice, I assume they've got one lying around.

Finally, report to the bridge.

[3+1 (Sword-Mage)] Your injures aren't too bad, you've felt worse burning pain from particularly sick workout routines. The pain is just weakness leaving the body, and this body has zero room for weakness.

You grab a (presently screaming) Randall, and haul him down inside the Arbore.  You pass various people, but they only mildly curious about the screaming and bleeding man your half-dragging. At least, until you run into Locke again.

He is more than mildly curious. He seems rather positively aghast at what he sees."Oh dear god, what happened?"

You sort of fill him in as you wend your way to medical, and conclude your description of your epic duel with Nande at about the same time that Randall begins admiring his swank new arm scales.

"Ah, I see, so... just a misunderstanding then, just a teeny, little... misunderstanding. Locke looks down at the trail of blood that Randall left on the floor and blanches.

Anything further from him is cut off as the spelljammer's PA system kicks on and Captain Sihn's voice kicks on. "This is Captain Sihn. All crew are now aboard and I intend to make up for lost time. You have thirty seconds to get into jump positions."

You're not sure whether Locke was very convincing, or if the plot train was on a roll and didn't have time for you to dawdle about being someplace you weren't supposed to be, but somehow Locke manages to get both you and Randall strapped into your jump-seats in the transporter glyph room.

Farris Kindlestone

"I wish I had a sentiment as beautiful as yours, but alas I'm not as skilled with words, so I'll keep it simple- do what you want to. I'll be happy as long as you're happy, because... That's what I'm here for."

Farris pulls out his umbrella. He figures be might need it soon, but he doesn't know why. He wonders briefly where he got it. He didn't remember buying an umbrella.

Music plays as you pull out your umbrella and open it above the bench, shading the two of you as the city burns. Ashen snow falls around you, iridescent with magical slag. It's really quite pretty in its own way.

Arm in wing, the two of you sit silently on the bench, appreciating the end of the world. Though the umbrella does a great deal to slow it down, ash from the burning city builds up around the two of you. A Pompeii shell eventually surrounds you, and it becomes difficult to breathe.

I'll always be here, when you need respite," is the last thing you hear.

---

You blink, and you're sitting down in the transporter glyph room of the Arbore, the smell of burning honey in your nostrils and a pounding headache between your eyes. The chair beneath you appears to be affixed to the wall, and someone appears to have done you the kindness (?) of strapping you in to said chair. In your hands, held delicately, is a pigeon statuette with gemstone eyes, constructed from earth and wire.

You can tell you made it, and you can definitely tell it's got a powerful enchantment on it, but you have no recollection of making it or any idea what it does or how it works.

Irneus is sitting next to you, looking at you with a clinical kind of concern, like you might suddenly begin trying to gnaw on your elbows. Eiyal is sitting across from you, with what appears to be a number of injuries he didn't use to have, and Randall is next to him- though his arm seems to have become much scalier than it was last time you saw it. Locke is strapped in, facing perpendicular to all of you, and gives you a nervous thumbs up.

Irneus

Now that mental health is relatively stable, make sure Farris doesn't hurt himself in his mood.

Farris seems harmless after getting the rough gems, both to himself an others and so you leave him alone to observe for moment. [5] Enchantment isn't your field, but every Mananaut knows enough of every other Mananaut's craft to be dangerous. What Farris is currently doing is well beyond your ability to understand, replicate, or even follow as he's doing it.  From what you know of Fey moods, it's likely completely beyond his abilities as well, and will remain beyond his abilities to replicate even after he's finished. You get the general idea that whatever he's doing is protective, but, with the drugs he took, that could mean a lot of things. It could be a one-shot shield capable of tanking the apocalypse. It could be a planet scale contraceptive for cats.

The Captain's voice through the PA cuts through your musings, and dramatically changes what 'safe' is for Farris. Safe is no longer sitting on the floor crafting. Safe needs to be buckled into his assigned seating.

As gently as you can, you pull Farris from the ground and start prodding him the direction of assigned seating. Though he continues working on his project the entire time, he doesn't resist.

The rest of the gang is already there when you arrive, though Eiyal and Randall look rather the worse for wear. You strap your patient in, then strap yourself in as an unfamiliar voice of the PA begins the countdown. Locke gives you a nervous smile.

All

"You know, this is my first jump," Locke says nervously as the countdown passes five.  "My brother, Lohde, he's been in the service for a bit, and he says that how you handle your first jump tells you how well you're going to handle being a Mananaut."

Locke opens his mouth, probably to say something encouraging, but it gets utterly lost when the jump hits.

Morbi vulputate sBorf? BORF BORF BORF BOR-apien est, nec feugiat orci egestas sed. Proin lacinia quis neque ac mNo, and thats final.olestie. Donec eu tincidunt felis, vel aliquet sapien. Aliquam lobortis magna vel auctor pellentesque. Donec finibus massa quis lacus dignissim, sed pharetra neque cursus. Fusce quis magna eget odio auctor posuere eu a sapien. QuisqueI have no car but I must sell carburetors at LOW LOW PRICES! non ullamcorper dolor. Phasellus blandit, odio id mattis finThe man with the golden eyeballibus, risus nunc molestie ligula, vitae hendrerit metus tellus eu neque. Sed luctus, toNever shall I ever.rtor vitae fermentum volutpat, nulla tortor auctor justo, ac auctor metus metus nec purus. Vivamus sed purus arcu. Curabitur finibus sapplease wake upien lectus, a tempor justo dignissim sit amet.

Brillian blue bits of manana spray across the transporter room as Locke vomits explosively.

Sed condimentum varius magna, sed alipour juice on your chinquet elit pulvinar a. Maecenas lobortis posuere ipsum, sit amet auMake my day, monk.ctor nisi bibendum ac. Curabitur sodales est anNo one will noticete, quis semper mauris dictda metus. Phasellus tincidunt lectus neque, ut molestie sem scelerisque vel. Pellentesque vitae ligula magna. Nunc a ullamcorper lacus. Quisque loborjust the tiptis mattis eros. Vivactum leo, eu congue enim. Vivamus odio libero, dignissim a scelerisque a, efficiturI learned that I could riverdance? quis quam. Suspendisse malesuada sem ut nulla molestie laoreet. Integer tincidunt ut purus ut auctor. Morbi anteSome of them want to abuse you... diam, sollicitudin a malesuada nec, dictum a magna. Aenean in tincidunt augue. Aliquam et convallis nisShe gripped his tumescent bulge andi.

The sudden feeling that someone is screaming multi-colored latin into one of the more empty chambers of your soul fades away nearly as quickly as it came.

Locke looks around at everyone blearily, then wipes a strand of blue drool from his mouth. "Is... is everybody okay?"

Then he slumps against his harness as he passes out.

Randall

[2+1, a little catharsis] Honestly, in perspective, it's not the worst thing that's happened to you today.

Spoiler: Randal Mixon (click to show/hide)

Eiyal

[1+1, Sword-Mage] Maybe it's your injuries, but you have the sneaking suspicion that you're going to be sick.

Spoiler: Eiyal (click to show/hide)

Farris

[3+2, inoculated] Honestly, that seemed pretty normal. Your head is still pounding and your mouth still tastes weird, but, honestly, nothing really has changed.

Spoiler: Farris Kindlestone (click to show/hide)

Irneus

[2] A thorough medical knowledge of the common after affects of a long-range jump on a first timer's digestive system does absolutely nothing to mitigate them. You feel rather spectacularly sick.

Spoiler: Irneus the Merciful (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 09:05:09 pm by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 18, 2017, 10:48:48 pm »

Bah, even with my wonderfully streamlined sheet process?
Appearance: Better keep a photo so you remember what you looked like before your first tour.
"I know, I'll very quickly draw a simple picture!"
*three days later*
"NO NO NO I NEED ANIME HAIR NOT A SERIES OF CRUDE SPIKES! WHY ARE THESE ARMS WRONG? IS THIS HOW COATS WORK?"
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 19, 2017, 03:19:23 pm »

"Hwhoah! Hurgh! Hrumgrh! What a rghride!"

Go up to Locke to check if he's okay.

Then vomit on him profusely.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 19, 2017, 03:54:52 pm »

Scream incoherently. In Ancient Greek. Then rush to the nearest lavatory and occupy it until I stop feeling sick.

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 19, 2017, 04:18:55 pm »

Farris raises an eyebrow at the antics of his teammates, clutching his statuette close to his chest. After a moment, he stows it in his robe in the pocket closest to his heart. He then sets about to proper business; he traces one finger over his shoulders in a circular motion, while using magic to create thaumic chalk dust out of his finger; effectively creating magical patterns in the shape of a circle on each shoulder (on his robe). If he still has time in the turn, he infuses his left shoulder with a temperature protective spell that will regulate his temperature in extreme environments, and the right with a spell that will provide oxygen in environments with little to no breathable atmosphere. The biggest advantage a magician has was his ability to prepare for dangerous situations.
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

Yottawhat

• Bay Watcher
  • New face, new look.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 19, 2017, 05:49:28 pm »

Randall clutches on to the seat with all the might he can muster. This continues through out the jump and about 5 minutes after as well.
(1) You start forward with determination and certainty. You carry this determination with you right into the gaping crater that opens under your feet. You fall into a pit. The sounds of combat above dim, along with the light from the suns. In the quiet below, you hear some other noises instead.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 19, 2017, 09:07:25 pm »

Phase 8: Vomit-Bending and Milk Runs

Randall Mixon (Yotta)

Randall clutches on to the seat with all the might he can muster.

[3] You clutch the hell out of your seat, remaining steadfastly affixed to it despite the stillness that rages around you.

Considering that you're strapped in to said seat, you'd probably have been fine regardless, but this way you're extra sure.

The PA system rings out again after a few minutes of seat clutching. "The Arbore has successfully completed her maiden jump, and all systems are looking good. We are currently in plane Arramia, near Tucson. We have business, but we're not staying long, so there will be no time for personal to visits the surface. "

Spoiler: Randal Mixon (click to show/hide)

Eiyal (Harry)

"Hwhoah! Hurgh! Hrumgrh! What a rghride!"

Go up to Locke to check if he's okay.

Then vomit on him profusely.

You unbuckle yourself and splatter through the vomit to check on Locke. [5] Still breathing, all limbs in the right place, not bleeding profusely from any orifices that you can see. Should wake up on his in own in it a minute.

You do, however, assist him in waking up with yet more vomit. Which has a similar effect to a cold glass of water. Except it's not cold, it's body temperature, and it's not water, it's manana colored vomit.

Locke sputters and thrashes to get away, an action which is severely hampered by the straps binding him in.

Spoiler: Eiyal (click to show/hide)

Farris (Cool)

Farris raises an eyebrow at the antics of his teammates, clutching his statuette close to his chest. After a moment, he stows it in his robe in the pocket closest to his heart. He then sets about to proper business; he traces one finger over his shoulders in a circular motion, while using magic to create thaumic chalk dust out of his finger; effectively creating magical patterns in the shape of a circle on each shoulder (on his robe). If he still has time in the turn, he infuses his left shoulder with a temperature protective spell that will regulate his temperature in extreme environments, and the right with a spell that will provide oxygen in environments with little to no breathable atmosphere. The biggest advantage a magician has was his ability to prepare for dangerous situations.

While your companions are vomiting on one another and clutching their seats in fright, you start the business of enchanting yourself to be more survivable. [4+2-1-1,enchanter, two enchantments, summoned reagents] You're able to reinforce your wizard coat with a pair of straightforward enchantments. The first should kick in if the air gets too hot or cold, and will regulate the temperature around you to safe levels. Won't do much against a lance of fire, but it'll keep your skin from frying off your body for at least ten minutes on a fire plane. The second enchantment should summon oxygen, in limited amounts, and hold it around your head if you activate it.

Spoiler: Farris Kindlestone (click to show/hide)

Irneus (Icy) 

Scream incoherently. In Ancient Greek. Then rush to the nearest lavatory and occupy it until I stop feeling sick.

You unbuckle yourself from your seat and stagger away from the teleportation room, tracking blue vomit everywhere and babbling in linear b as you look for the lavatory.

[3] You pass the Captain in the hall, you gives you a look as though she's about to stop you, and then makes way for you when she gets a good look at your face. After that, you make it to the lavatory easily, and join a couple other crew members who are already hurling their way through the after effects of the jump.

Spoiler: Irneus the Merciful (click to show/hide)

Everybody Except Irneus

The captain walks in to the teleportation room shortly after Irneus leaves. She stops in the doorway, observing a scene that would not be out of place were everyone in it five years old and a cretin. The floor is covered in vomit. Locke is trying to escape from his harness in order to get away from Eiyal's vomit. Eiyal is cleaning his mouth from vomiting on Locke. Farris is sitting in his chair drawing on himself. Randall, well, Randall is just clinging to his chair like a particularly shocked limpet.

It says something about her opinion of all of you that her only acknowledgement of the horrorshow is to lean out of the room and shot for the Janitor before she addresses you. "Locke, I presume you have not yet had time to fill them in on the mission details?

"No, Captain," Locke gasps, finally freeing himself from his straps and brushing the worst of the chunks off his coat.

"I see. In future there will be more time between a jump and a mission, but we do not have the luxury of time." You get the feeling that's the closest Captain Sihn comes to saying 'It's OK'. "As soon as the rest of you are... recovered," Captain Sihn continues, addressing the room as a whole. "You're going to be sent down to the surface. You will not have access to the armory, because this is a friendly settlement and all you're here to do is to drop off a sensitive package at a secure location. Locke will run mission support exactly as though this was a hazardous operation, and I expect nothing less than your best performance. This is not shore leave. This is not a time to relax. This is your first opportunity to show me what you're made of, and maybe build some team dynamics that will save you in the future."

The Janitor enters the room behind the Captain, blowing out her mustache in a long sigh as she surveys the mess she's made of the room. She cracks the butt of her mop twice on the floor, and the vomit in the room begins flowing towards her bucket, leaving the people and floor flawlessly clean. After the mess has been safely contained in the bucket, the Janitor gives the Captain a crisp salute and heads off in search of more messes.

"Why is the most competent person on my ship the goddamn janitor..." The Captain lets out a small sigh, then walks across the now clean floor to hand a small key to Locke. "This is for storage box 8C. I think you can handle the rest of the briefing from here."

Locke nods mutely as the captain leaves, his expression one of embarrassment and shame.

When Sihn is out of sight, he's finally able to get his eyes up and address the rest of you. "Um. So. This mission is, well, it's hardly a mission. We're just supposed to deliver the contents of one of our storage boxes to a field outpost. It's not hazardous, and Tucson is really a nice place, so I think the Captain is just giving us this so we can have a bit of a trial run." Locke runs his hand through his hair and breathes deeply, clearly trying to regain some amount of composure. "So, if we run this like a normal op, you need to all have roles so you don't run over each other and so everybody knows who's doing what. Since we can sort of model this as a drop into hostile territory, we need someone to be the package carrier, one person to be the trailblazer and make sure the package carrier can make it, a scout to identify the path ahead, and an auxiliary to assist whoever needs help most. So who wants what?"

"I mean, it won't matter much, it's just for practice, and it's not like anyone but the package carrier will be doing anything besides walk through town."

---

Yottawhat

• Bay Watcher
  • New face, new look.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 19, 2017, 11:02:12 pm »

Randall attempts to rise out of his seat is thwarted by his iron death grip. Slowly, his grip loosens enough from him to pry his hands away from his seat.

Randall then stands up, his arms outstretched infront of him, his hands open as they were gripping a phantom package. He then precedes looks Locke straight in eyes without saying a word.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 07:50:53 pm by Yottawhat »

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 19, 2017, 11:35:34 pm »

Irneus is out of the room, and knows nothing of what the others are deciding. He'll probably be left with whatever the others don't pick.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 20, 2017, 05:19:55 am »

"Trailblazer! That's me! That's me all over!"

"Can I get some healing before we leave though, I'm not super bothered by the bleeding but you kinda need to address these things before they get infected or something."

Gonna be blazing me some trails through Tucson, that's for sure. Also request healing of some sort.

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 20, 2017, 07:28:52 am »

"Auxiliary. That's the role for me." In his mind, Farris was hoping no one would need assistance so he could simply wander the town and relax.
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7