Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 63

Author Topic: Ethereals : XCOM Arms Race  (Read 65016 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Ethereals : XCOM Arms Race
« Reply #630 on: January 21, 2018, 03:03:32 am »

It's not functionally useless. It does what you want it to do, which is deny enemy access to tokens.

But given that that is a very powerful thing, it comes at a cost.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: January 21, 2018, 03:18:14 am »

Ah. That explains it.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: January 21, 2018, 06:45:48 am »

A few suggestions for Plan A:
1. I'd recommend shifting the location of both missions (or at least the main one) to new ones or Egypt, and adding the investigate signal objective. We may as well try to locate more of the signals or get a better fix on the Egyption one.
2. I would also recommend using ECM to make the small scout look like a medium one and the fighter look like a small scout. Increasing the threat profile of the decoy can't hurt, and hiding the fighter could hopefully trick them into sending less fighters and more troops, which we are better able to deal with.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: January 21, 2018, 06:57:41 am »

1. We haven't investigated the signal in either Brazil or Australia yet. And we don't have the necessary mission type to follow up on the Egyptian signal.
2. Making the Medium Fighter appear to be a Small Scout would be a good idea, except:
As a secundary feature, we can boost our ships radar signatures, making it appear far more threathening than it actually is. However, emissions strengthened in such way will be far easier to spot.
Which I believe means they will detect our craft sooner, and have a better chance of shooting them down.
Making the Small Scout appear to be a Medium craft might be an idea, though. I didn't include it since they appeared to be totally unphased by our deception last turn, but on re-reading the turn, it does say their interceptor was acting like it expected to run into something stronger, so maybe they just figured their upgraded missiles would be enough to defeat a medium craft?

So, okay, I'll change mission 2 to appear as a Medium craft.

Quote from: Votes
[2] Plan A: Kashyyk, NUKE9.13
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 07:00:45 am by NUKE9.13 »
Long Live United Forenia!

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: January 21, 2018, 09:50:44 am »

[3] Plan A: Kashyyk, NUKE9.13, Piratejoe
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

Puppyguard

• Bay Watcher
  • An avatar? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: January 21, 2018, 02:21:48 pm »

[4] Plan A: Kashyyk, NUKE9.13, Piratejoe, Puppyguard

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: January 22, 2018, 11:00:55 am »

1. We haven't investigated the signal in either Brazil or Australia yet. And we don't have the necessary mission type to follow up on the Egyptian signal.
Fair enough. I thought we might be able to get a better location fix on the Egyptian one with a second mission there, but having looked it over again I doubt that'll work. I am slightly concerned though that repeated attacks on these countries will provoke X-Com to build air-to-ground bases there; since there is little benefit from choosing them other other countries this round I see no reason to do so.

2. ...

As for the increased detection chance, the larger craft will probably be easier to spot anyway, and the odds are already highly in favour of detection. All this'll do is (probably) increase the chances of us being intercepted in the air as opposed to the ground. I think that's worth the possibility of nudging them towards a more favourable (for us) fighter-to-troop carrier ratio.

maybe they just figured their upgraded missiles would be enough to defeat a medium craft?

That was my conclusion, since it's probably true - as is, they'll get to fire off all of their missiles before entering plasma cannon range, most of which will probably hit. The only question is whether our new ship will still be mission capable afterwards. (Incidentally, this was the reason I didn't suggest sending the fighter with the decoy instead of the main mission - if our new ship could reliably beat an interceptor one-to-one then that might be a better course of action.)
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: January 22, 2018, 12:16:47 pm »

Quote from: Plan A
Spend 1UP Token on Skin Crawlers
Spend Joker Token on Small Scout
Quote from: Mission 1
Target: Brazil
Vehicle: 1x Medium Scout (3VP), 1x Medium Fighter (2VP)
Crew: 1x Sectoid, 1xMeld Container (1UP, 1EP), 1xScout Drone (1UP), 2x Skin Crawler, 1xElerium Grenades (4UP, 1EP), 1xSkin Crawler (Infiltrated)(Free).
Objective: Harvest (and investigate signal)
Quote from: Mission 2
Target: Australia
Vehicle: 1x Small Scout (Free) masquerading as a Medium Scout.
Crew: 1x Sectoid (Free)
Objective: Harvest (and investigate signal)
[/quote]

Missions launched.

Spoiler: Equipment (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: PANIC METER (click to show/hide)

Revision

Turn 6

AABBCCDD

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: January 22, 2018, 12:55:59 pm »

I suggest creating a new mission type for identifying and pinpointing XCom bases, followed by a base invasion mission. Or if you guys don't think that's worth it, creating a search and destroy mission to do both in one. They were foolish enough to tip us off to their missiles base so we may as well make the most of it.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: January 22, 2018, 01:10:30 pm »

Mind if I join to add a few ideas?

Revision: Energy Field Plating

A new, more powerful armor that is applied to our existing UFOs starting with the new medium scout.  The material is a modified alien alloy which conducts a powerful energy field fed by the power core.  The field forces the material into it's default shape on the atomic and macroscopic level, drastically reducing the effect of all forms of damage.

Revision: Stealth Drones

A modification to the Scout Drone with a color changing surface, faster movement and a more advanced AI that can keep it out of sight.  A plasma pistol is added in addition to the non-lethal weaponry.

Revision: Zombie Meld

With knowledge about the humans gained we can start our real work.  This functions as normal meld, but when placed on living captured humans the nano machines migrate to the brain and alter it to allow receptivity to the great mind.  While the link is weak in most humans, it is enough to make them see our forces as good and friends and the enemy as evil and hated.  The result is easy roundup of effected humans and an added combat force armed with human weapons during land operations.

Revision: Focused Harvest

Used in areas with unusual signals or effects, the UFOs scout out the location from the air first then land and quickly capture likely subjects responsible.  Defensive installation are bombarded from the air if possible before landing to reduce local resistance.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: January 22, 2018, 01:14:06 pm »

I suggest creating a new mission type for identifying and pinpointing XCom bases, followed by a base invasion mission. Or if you guys don't think that's worth it, creating a search and destroy mission to do both in one. They were foolish enough to tip us off to their missiles base so we may as well make the most of it.
That'd be a design, I think. We're on revisions at the moment.

If we want to counter their missiles, I can think of several options. Like these two:

Defensive Plasma Wave: Our plasma turrets can be reworked to serve as an anti-missile measure. By simply not applying a strong enough bond to the expelled plasma, it will, rather than travelling as a single blast, spread out from the turret like a wave. Though this diffuse plasma is unlikely to cause serious damage to larger craft, it should be enough to detonate missiles.
On detecting incoming missiles, our vessels will turn all available turrets (or the ship itself) to face them, and unleash the plasma wave. This may not destroy all missiles, but it should reduce their number considerably.

Reinforced Craft: When we came to this world, we were not expecting stiff opposition. As such, our craft are ill-equipped to deal with the Earthling's missiles. Their hulls are paper-thin, their internals fragile. Simply adding an extra layer of Alloy onto our hulls, and around critical components, will drastically increase survivability in the face of a missile attack.

PPE: EFP is good, but I worry it might increase the cost of our craft.
Long Live United Forenia!

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: January 22, 2018, 01:20:21 pm »

Ehnaced targeting algorithm

By ehnacing our turret targeting routines with new superior programming, we did let them to switch between interception and ground support mode.
When intercepting turrets focus fire on incoming missiles first and enemy aircraft second.
And in ground support subroutine they unleash the fury of ships plasma weaponry against ground targets.

Also, duh, did not notice that scout drones cost UP instead of vp.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: January 22, 2018, 04:10:52 pm »

Quote from: Revision Box
Voted Revisions:
Defensive Plasma Wave: (1): SC

Not Voted Revisions:
Energy Field Plating
Stealth Drones
Zombie Meld
Focused Harvest
Reinforced Craft
Enhanced Targeting Algorithm
Plasma Carbines:
Plasma Carbine:
Our plasma pistol is weak and yet still utilizes advanced technology, we needed a more efficient weapon. One that can suit various purposes while also being powerful and compact in its form. The carbine has more range, up to the Medium range spectrum compared to its predecessor, and can exert a lot more  powerful and condense plasma down range compared to its predecessor Pistol cartridge.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 02:38:48 am by Shadowclaw777 »

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: January 22, 2018, 04:12:18 pm »

Voted Revisions:
Plasma Carbines: (1): Kashyyk

Not Voted Revisions:
Energy Field Plating
Stealth Drones
Zombie Meld
Focused Harvest
Reinforced Craft

SamSpeeds

• Bay Watcher
  • ah ah ah oooh yeah
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: January 22, 2018, 06:20:25 pm »

Voted Revisions:
Plasma Carbines: (2): Kashyyk, SamSpeeds

Not Voted Revisions:
Energy Field Plating
Stealth Drones
Zombie Meld
Focused Harvest
Reinforced Craft

We still need a ground overhaul and I think we would be better off with dedicated point defense instead.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 63