Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 63

Author Topic: Ethereals : XCOM Arms Race  (Read 64861 times)

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
Re: Ethereals : XCOM Arms Race
« Reply #60 on: December 17, 2017, 02:53:21 pm »

I really think we should make a new UFO instead of this limbhound. Mostly due to the fact that we might have a 100% detection on all missions and if that is so, thats really, really bad.

Large Scout: Unlike our small scout, this ship is a bit bigger and has multiple rooms inside of it. In the center of the craft is its engine, a single large elerium reactor, while the only entrance to this room is through the navigation room which connects to the entrance and storage of the ship that is made to be well defended just in case the humans manage to somehow get inside the spacecraft. Naturally, due to its size, it has more firepower then our small scout, but still, it should be quite useful for getting bigger returns on our missions.

Alternatively...

Light Fighter:A small UFO smaller then that of our Small Scout, it is designed for one thing and one thing only, fighting and dodging the enemies fire. This UFO is controlled by no pilot, it being a kind of drone that has the sole purpose of protecting our UFO's and killing any interceptor that tries to harm our own ships. It also will protect our UFO when said UFO has landed, giving ground support and killing anything that tries to fly in and help the enemy. Unlike our current UFO's, it is armed with three plasma cannons which are at the 'front' of the craft, two on symmetrical wing like spikes pointed 'forward' (think something kinda like the old cylon raiders in Battle star galactica just the wings are closer to each other, the craft isn't so wide, the engines are merged together and look more like a part of the main craft and there is no cockpit.) and one in between them, and its engine is powered by a single reactor and is specially designed for maximum momentum when in combat, although normal hovering or slow moving speed is possible as well.

Quote from: Vote
Limbhound: (3) Puppyguard, NUKE9.13, Failbird105
Medium Scout: (0)
Large Scout: (1) Piratejoe
Light Fighter: (0)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 11:24:16 am by piratejoe »
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 17, 2017, 03:06:07 pm »

See, I agree with you, I just reckon we can get a larger UFO with a revision that should be good against their puny Interceptors.

Which is why Medium Scout shouldn't be in the votebox, as it is not intended to be a design.

Anyway, I doubt we have a 100% detection rate, I think we probably got unlucky and their base is in Africa or something. This turn, we can hit some further-flung regions. If we still get a 100% detection rate, then we know we're in serious trouble.
Long Live United Forenia!

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 17, 2017, 03:12:24 pm »

: Nod: Bigger scout as a revision and a design fighter seems good to me. And hitting them somewhere else to prove their reach is a good idea too.

I think land bound should design a new gun, either a ipgraded plasma or stun launcher from original x com or maybe a predator cloaking device thing. (Which will be handy when better troops happen.)

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 17, 2017, 04:25:27 pm »

Humans are probably too lacking in tech to be resistant to plasma pistols for somewhat long time.
But we really need not to get shot down for xcom not to turboboost their research

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 17, 2017, 05:29:46 pm »

Hmmm... okay.
Limbhound: (2) Puppyguard, NUKE9.13
Large Scout: (1) Piratejoe
Light Fighter: (1) Failbird105
But the limbhound comes next turn.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 17, 2017, 05:39:40 pm »

We probably should do something a bit more for the limbhound then currently wanted in its design, though personally I think a different kind of drone would do just as well as the limbhound if not better.
Limbhound: (2) Puppyguard, NUKE9.13
Large Scout: (0)
Light Fighter: (2) Failbird105, Piratejoe

EDIT: Where do we see panic levels? Or do we not get to see that?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 05:54:17 pm by piratejoe »
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 17, 2017, 05:48:28 pm »

personally I think a different kind of drone would do just as well as the limbhound if not better.
As in, a robotic entity? Because if so, I strongly disagree. Being able to conjure up different species is a unique advantage we have over XCOM. Unless I've totally misjudged what the GM is going for, of two units designed to do the same thing in more or less the same way, the organic one will be better.

So, let's say hypothetically that we do the fighter. What do you plan to revise if it goes well?
Long Live United Forenia!

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 17, 2017, 06:18:41 pm »

Either medium scout, a bomber, or a kind of harvest like mission that is more active or more passive. Active being capturing everyone on a cruse ship or in a moderately sized town, while passive would be capturing everyone on a small fishing boat or on a farm. Other then that, another idea for a revision would be to make the drone we have a bit better by giving it a ranged weapon.

Regardless, an idea I have is we could make a kind of bomber that throws a large blast of plasma below it to destroy something important, such as a oil rig, or a ship, or a building. We could use it to raise panic and cause a bit of chaos and maybe we could go so far as to make a kind of terror like mission where we level a city just by bombing the hell out of it instead of dropping troops, kinda like something the Aliens in Xenonauts can do.

Puppyguard

• Bay Watcher
  • An avatar? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 17, 2017, 06:26:13 pm »

Limbhound: (1) NUKE9.13
Light Fighter: (3) Failbird105, Piratejoe, Puppyguard.
We can do the limbhound next turn.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 17, 2017, 06:42:22 pm »

We probably should do something a bit more for the limbhound then currently wanted in its design, though personally I think a different kind of drone would do just as well as the limbhound if not better.
I do think the limbhound could use a bit more to its design(from both a fluff and function standpoint), but I disagree with you on the "drone is better" thing for two big reasons: 1. Drones can be salvaged by XCom, potentially giving them insight into our tech. 2. Machines do not benefit from our psionics.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 17, 2017, 06:45:14 pm »

Actually, thinking about it, why not just get reapers? You know, the things that floaters have along with them on terror missions? That seems kinda like the limbhound but larger...Also we probably should call it something a bit better then that...

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 17, 2017, 06:48:18 pm »

Actually, thinking about it, why not just get reapers? You know, the things that floaters have along with them on terror missions? That seems kinda like the limbhound but larger...Also we probably should call it something a bit better then that...
I was actually thinking about those. Though I had been thinking more on the concept for the NuCom version, which was more froglike and basically just ate your troops and you had to kill it quick to save them.

Edit: I refreshed myself on their design, I see the problem, they lack forelimbs of any sort, that would need to be fixed.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 06:50:51 pm by Failbird105 »

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 17, 2017, 06:50:13 pm »

Thinking we should go fighter this design phase and bigger scout in revision. No more robots, they could be reverse built to be used against us. Next trooper needs organic. Maybe even cyborg if going by xcom 2 original (tbrexes with cyber guns.)

As for bombers. I say wait until we have resources for a flying battleship. If going to do such a thing, why stop at some parts of city and not just lay the whole thing to waste?

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 17, 2017, 07:07:58 pm »

Psyfocus

While sectoid individual capability for gift is not something to impress us, by designing special psyamplifying chamber in our ships, we can unite multiple sectoids in one horrifying psychic force with much greater range and ability to mentally dominate and horrify at  small populations scale.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 17, 2017, 07:18:01 pm »

Limbhound: (1) NUKE9.13
Light Fighter: (4) Failbird105, Piratejoe, Puppyguard, Tyrant Leviathan.
We can do the limbhound next turn.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 63