Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 63

Author Topic: Ethereals : XCOM Arms Race  (Read 65018 times)

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
Re: Ethereals : XCOM Arms Race
« Reply #555 on: January 11, 2018, 12:20:14 pm »

A few things, we already spent two unit points on the Skin Crawlers, we get a free bunch of Skin Crawlers we can deploy, or were those points wasted and now we don't get a instance of another Skin Crawler batch? Secondly, I believe we have a token that can be utilized everywhere...

Anyway, congratulations NUKE9.13, as you won the contest. Have a free token (that can be used to get 1 free point worth of any tech you currently have), and this short snippet.

Why aren't we spending this token? It can be utilized to give a Small Scout another Light Fighter, in which I recommend we put in the Japan Mission. (Recommending actually putting this Joker Token on a Medium Fighter, and subtracting one of the other scout mission

Also I guess I didn't realize that tokens are one-time things, unless they aren't? No wait it states [2 UP FREE] for the Skin Crawlers, I am very confused...

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: January 11, 2018, 12:36:17 pm »

We do have 2UP worth of free Skin Crawlers, yes. I suppose we might as well deploy them.

We aren't spending the Joker Token cos there ain't nothing worth spending it on. 1 extra VP won't get us a medium fighter to go with our 5 Small Scouts, Sectoids are not something we are always going to want to deploy, nor are grenades or Meld.

...although, I suppose we should be able to find a use for a single unit of Sectoids for most of the game. So I guess spending a UP on them isn't a total waste.

Alright, I'll go with TopHat's version.

Quote from: Votes
Triangulate the Signal V2: (2) SamSpeeds, Kashyyk
Triangulate the Signal: ()
Triangulate the Signal V3: (1) NUKE9.13
Long Live United Forenia!

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: January 11, 2018, 12:42:53 pm »

If I recall correctly, meld is not a requirement for obtaining DNA tokens, it just means we can get more or something. Also, it auto-sterilizes and I doubt they are advanced enough to bypass it and successfully capture.
Look over the previous turns:
Turn 1
Turn 2
Turn 3
Turn 4

It seems that a successful harvest gives 1 UP, 1 DNA with Meld, and 1 Panic if it's not intercepted. Additional craft probably increase yields, though the only time we've tried that we suffered heavy enough losses to bring the gains back down to normal levels. On the capture front, I strongly suspect the snippet we got from Nuke's story win refers to human scientists performing experiments with captured Meld; though in any case the gains of use outweigh the risks in my opinion.

@Shadowclaw777 - I believe you are correct; see my previous post. I left the wildcard token unassigned in my plan, though, as I didn't know if people would prefer to spend it on VP or EP.

EDIT - my personal preference at the moment would be using it as a UP for a free small scout, then add a light fighter to the decoy to make it more threatening; we probably won't be phasing out the scout for a while. That or save it.

EDIT 2 - I'll vote to save that token for now. Speaking of which:
Triangulate the Signal V3: (2) NUKE9.13, TopHat
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 02:55:51 pm by TopHat »
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Puppyguard

• Bay Watcher
  • An avatar? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: January 11, 2018, 03:23:48 pm »

Triangulate the Signal V3: (3) NUKE9.13, TopHat, Puppyguard

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: January 11, 2018, 03:31:38 pm »

Triangulate the Signal V3: (4) NUKE9.13, TopHat, Puppyguard, Piratejoe
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: January 11, 2018, 03:59:47 pm »

Triangulate the Signal V2: (1) SamSpeeds
Triangulate the Signal V3: (5) NUKE9.13, TopHat, Puppyguard, Piratejoe, Kashyyk

Wizgrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: January 12, 2018, 09:20:54 am »

I believe we need to focus more on widespread infiltration to detect their bases before they build them. In time, this should net us a wonderful resource net once we up our infiltration.

Mission: Harvest
Area: Brazil
Ships: Small Scout (increasing its radar signature to a Medium Harvester)(free)
Troops & Equipment: Sectoid (1UP)

Area: Australia
Ships: Small scout (Increasing its radar signature to appear a Medium Harvester)(1VP)

Mission: Recruit Collaborators
Area: United Kingdom
Ships: Small Scout (1VP)
Troops & Equipment: Skin Crawler (2UP)

Area: China
Troops & Equipment: Skin Crawler (free)

Area: Germany
Ships: Small Scout(1VP) (Increased Radar signature to hide the Medium Fighter)+ Medium Fighter (2VP)
Troops & Equipment: Lesser Mutons (2UP) + Meld Container (1EP) + Drones(1EP)+Sectoids (1UP)

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: January 12, 2018, 09:32:37 am »

I don't think we're allowed to send units we haven't designed yet on missions.

Also where would we be getting the space for three units even if we did have the mutons?

As it is your plan, as much as I would like to spread infiltration, requires us to both design the lesser mutons AND revise increased unit capacity onto our scouts. Both can be solved by removing the muton from the plan but still.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 09:38:44 am by Failbird105 »

Wizgrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: January 12, 2018, 09:39:44 am »

Okay, plan revised. I have deleted the Mutons from the premises. And I have tried to use the extra point to buy another Meld container

EDIT: I have decide to rotate a Meld Container to the Australia mission, in case they decide not to go for the it.

Area: Brazil
Ships: Small Scout (increasing its radar signature to a Medium Harvester)(free)
Troops & Equipment: Sectoid (1UP)+Meld Container (1EQ)

Area: Australia
Ships: Small scout (Increasing its radar signature to appear a Medium Harvester)(1VP)

Area: United Kingdom
Troops & Equipment: Skin Crawler (2UP)

Area: China
Troops & Equipment: Skin Crawler (free)

Area: Germany
Ships: Small Scout(1VP) (Increased Radar signature to hide the other Small Scout)+ Small Scout (1VP)

Troops & Equipment: 1 Meld Container (1EP) + Drones(1EP)+ 3 Sectoids (3 UP)

Triangulate the Signal V3: (5) NUKE9.13, TopHat, Puppyguard, Piratejoe, Kashyyk

Harvest & Infiltration:(1) Wizgrot
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 05:07:34 pm by Wizgrot »

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: January 12, 2018, 05:08:30 pm »

Triangulate the Signal V3: (6) NUKE9.13, TopHat, Puppyguard, Piratejoe, Kashyyk, SC

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: January 12, 2018, 05:25:07 pm »

You accidentally cut off Wizgrot's vote there.

Triangulate the Signal V3: (6) NUKE9.13, TopHat, Puppyguard, Piratejoe, Kashyyk, SC
Harvest & Infiltration:(1) Wizgrot
Long Live United Forenia!

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: January 12, 2018, 05:57:32 pm »

@Wizgrot: Personally, I'd rather run solely harvest missions this turn for several reasons:
1. We're already struggling to fill craft and are about to design a new, more expensive unit - given that several missions are likely to be intercepted I'd rather be certain we get at least a couple of UP tokens to spend on it. The sooner we get these tokens the more use we can get out of them.
2. The more missions we take sectoids on the more likely we are to locate the signal (if only by guaranteeing at least one will return). This is high priority in my opinion.
3. Unintercepted harvests generate panic, so we should be able to get another couple of countries to start panicking this way - something for X-Com to worry about, at least, and giving us more options if we decide to pile the pressure on.

As a side note, your plan spends 3 EP, so you'll need to ditch the drones or a Meld canister.

Reposting those old turn links got me wondering about what X-Com have been up to. So here's a quick attempt to look over what we can guess about their designs:
Spoiler: X-Com intel (click to show/hide)
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Wizgrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: January 12, 2018, 06:44:56 pm »

In my plan I would be spending Nukeīs toke for an EP, although yeah, no need to do it right now. Anyway, good work with your plan. It is really good and the intel you have collected might help us plan the next turn.

However, next turn, we need to start infiltrating more. I suggest as possible objectives Australia (since we already have an infiltration there), China (as having a high ranking party leader on our side would be invaluable) and Nigeria (oil runs the world and so will we).

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: January 13, 2018, 09:50:52 am »

Mission 1
Target: Egypt
Vehicle: 1x Small Scout (1VP)
Crew: 1x Sectoid, Meld Container (1EP), 1x Skin Crawler (FREE).
Objective: Harvest+Investigate Signal

Mission 2
Target: Mexico
Crew: 1x Sectoid (1UP), 1x Scout Drone (1UP)

Mission 3
Target: France
Crew: 1x Sectoid (1UP), 1x Scout Drone (1UP)

Mission 4
Target: Japan
Crew: 1x Sectoid (1UP), 1 Scout Drone (1EP)

Mission 5
Target: Brazil
Vehicle: 1xSmall Scout (1VP), masquerading as a Medium-sized craft.
Crew: 1x Sectoid (1UP)

Missions launched

Spoiler: Equipment (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: PANIC METER (click to show/hide)

Revision Phase

Turn 5

AABBCCDD

Wizgrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: January 13, 2018, 10:11:31 am »

Elderīs Scorn

While our current air battles are going  very good at the moment, we cannot allow Humanity to recover more of the Ethereal technology if we hope to defeat them while they remain foolish and primitive. They already have on their control several of our craft, which they surely have used to improve on their puny "technology".

Elerium-115, our main energy source, has shown a remarkable stability when degrading it in a controlled environment, so its energy can power our ships and equipment. However, by rising quickly the temperature and the pressure of the engine, we can make it enter into a highly radioactive and volatile state, which powered with some plasma detonators installed near should release all of their energy with an explosive blast that should make most of the components useless and deadly irradiated, greatly increasing the cost and feasibility of salvage operations and killing troops near the area of the blast.

I propose to monitor our troops life signals and automatically detonate it if the tripulation dies or becomes unconscious.

I propose this as revision

Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 63