Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 63

Author Topic: Ethereals : XCOM Arms Race  (Read 64960 times)

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ethereals : XCOM Arms Race
« Reply #450 on: January 04, 2018, 05:44:52 pm »

If we get new troops, we should get Vipers or Mutons. Or at least try to get them. Both of them have armour so...you know. If we want new robotic troops, Seekers or Cyberdisks.

Yeah I was considering Mutons or the home brewed chimeras with muton in gene pool for muton mutants with a light healing factor. But to keep it simple. Mutons. Need tough soldiers who can use gear. Got idea about armor, put probably just Mutons.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: January 04, 2018, 05:58:23 pm »

Yeah, mutons really are the best option. I'd like to make them more aesthetically interesting, but we really do need a tough frontliner.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: January 04, 2018, 06:01:35 pm »

On the revision - we may wish to consider removing the (I note 'possible') capability of reducing effective electronic signature from the proposal. Without it the revision effectively becomes 'enable the ECM to work alongside the flight computer' (since making the ship seem bigger is part of the current design) which should be trivial or easy and practically guarantee a good success. In my opinion the small additional utility from this ability is less important than ensuring the core functions work as well as possible.

I'll post my thoughts on our designs and strategy for the next turn or two tomorrow when I've had time to think it over a bit. In my opinion we really should decide on a short-term goal (e.g. gain capacity to launch terror missions / set up a first surface base on earth / cause a country to withdraw from X-Com) to work towards, rather than the current system of designing whatever seems to be in the most immediate need. A ground unit capable of matching X-Com's troops seems like an integral part of most of these, though the details of the unit may well be informed by the goal we choose.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: January 04, 2018, 06:10:04 pm »

I personally like the idea of making a mobile base. A mothership perhaps. However I feel like that would be rather hard.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: January 04, 2018, 06:16:34 pm »

I think we should go to Mars and the asteroid belt. Mars in x Com lore is full of elethrium 115. We need that stuff. As for a base on Earth, when we get a country off their pay roll. We defend it.

And I had idea of a under water mobile base. Main logic is al x Com Weapons are for shooting stuff down, not directly bombing the ground.

But I figure we need vast cloaking tech and large ship chassis for that to be feasible.

BBBence1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: January 04, 2018, 06:18:12 pm »

We can have collaborators build bases for us.
Proud Juraki/Cannalan/Kasgyr/Ertexite/Karikhitan/Nogranian/Aratam Engineer.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: January 04, 2018, 06:21:48 pm »

The problem there is x Com “can” invade such territory to muscle them back on their side and our tech paper trail/Commander Alien/Agent could peak the smelly humans to one of our main bases. We need to be sneaky, worm our way into the world. After a successful terror mission or if we storm a x Com base should we trust the human turn coats.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: January 04, 2018, 06:47:57 pm »

@TopHat

I see your worries and have revised the ECM 2.0 to state that the priority of the revision is to have functional jamming technology while working with the flight computer, but a secondary focus on messing with electrical signature whether amplifying or de-amplifying the craft is still a thing that can be worked on but it is prioritized secondarily.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: January 04, 2018, 06:50:16 pm »

well it can already amplify, it just can't de-amplify

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: January 05, 2018, 06:55:32 am »

Alright, so, thinking on @Tophats post about goals, I feel like out of his list the most achievable and useful with our current tech base is actually to make a country leave. With our ability to recruit and infiltrate we might be able to actually make them work for us.

However, I have another idea for a goal: Build up a sturdy and useful human ally group. Something that can help us pull off infiltration missions and give us an influence from the inside.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: January 05, 2018, 06:47:42 pm »

I still think our main goal is overhaul our land game. Damn rail guns.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: January 05, 2018, 07:04:38 pm »

Okay, so lets say thats our main goal. So next turn we make Mutons, and their armor and body are tough enough to survive the railguns about as well as our sectoids could their regular weapons, quite possibly better, then what? What do we do from there?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 07:06:16 pm by Failbird105 »

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: January 05, 2018, 07:10:56 pm »

The plan is intentionally left open-ended, for me I'd like to go the bum-rush the terror ship path and create some terror units, whether it's impregnating mantises to the humble xenomorph-chrysallid, I do not care. Also a cyberdisc could technically be considered a terror weapon, it was in OldCom but more like a flying unit in NewCom. Also there could be ideas of creating another alien base on the moon, mining asteroids, maybe creating a base underwater?. Also there is the idea of trying to full-panic brazil into submission.

Basically it really is left open-ended on purpose, and your asking the wrong person on what we should specialize. It's really logical into trying to convert Brazil into our authority. But terror missions sound so cool! Maybe panic Brazil so hard with terror missions?.

Also before I forget more Vehicle Production points would be nice, a UFO Construction Wing that is near our Base, perhaps?

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: January 05, 2018, 07:34:53 pm »

I suppose I can see the point about an open-ended plan. As for terrorizing vs recruitment, think about it like this, terror loses them an asset, recruitment loses them an asset and gains us one. It's also harder to deal with, terror missions can be stopped with pure brute force, our enemies seem to specialize in such.

Also, we kinda need to vote more, we've gone this entire day without a single new vote.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: January 05, 2018, 07:40:23 pm »

The vote is locked down as it is. Anyway, as I said before, we should go Viper, Muton, Cyberdisk, or Seeker. Whichever one of those we want the most should be made and they undoubtedly will be useful for us in their own ways.
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 63