Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 63

Author Topic: Ethereals : XCOM Arms Race  (Read 64905 times)

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ethereals : XCOM Arms Race
« Reply #420 on: January 03, 2018, 03:35:51 pm »

Yeah spreading out thin means they will get our stuff. We need to bunch up and stick to one field at a time. We hurt South America enough already.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: January 03, 2018, 03:43:57 pm »

Quote from: Votes

Plan A: Hiding Out in the Outback: (7) NUKE9.13, Piratejoe, Failbird105, Puppyguard, Kevak, SamSpeeds Tyrant Leviathan
Plan C: Three Tendrils: (1) TopHat
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 04:20:11 pm by Tyrant Leviathan »

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: January 03, 2018, 04:09:09 pm »

Now that I think about it. Nobody ever said we only need to focus on earth. Next turn methinks we should set up a resourcing/manufacturing op in the asteroid belt to increase VP/UP. It’d let em simmer and worry cause they didn’t detect anything while also letting us ramp up the invasion the following turn.

SamSpeeds

• Bay Watcher
  • ah ah ah oooh yeah
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: January 03, 2018, 04:13:30 pm »

Yeah, right now our biggest vulnerability against them is our infantry disadvantage. I doubt the Skin Crawlers can do that much to stop it, so we should stick with our concentrated assault plan until we get a better frontline alien and/or stealth tech.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: January 03, 2018, 04:26:25 pm »

Personally unless they pull out something that completely changes the way things are going, I say we make some armor, our weapons are fine, our ships can handle theirs decently enough, but our infantry are incredibly vulnerable in ground combat.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: January 03, 2018, 04:51:58 pm »

Note that us bunching up leaves X-Com free to concentrate their forces as well - the one unit that beat us last time would have had their entire EP and UP spend on it. Who knows if they can afford to equip even two units with their new weapons? Remember the VP costs as well; if they develop an improved interceptor (likely) it'll undoubtedly cost the same as ours, and as far as we know they have only the capacity to deploy four regular craft at once (or five if they increased that this turn). On the ground our main attack in Australia would be almost as strong, trading one unit of sectoids for arming a unit of Skin Crawlers, and likely to be facing far less opposition.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 04:55:07 pm by TopHat »
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: January 03, 2018, 04:55:06 pm »

I think we should expand our VP/UP reserves.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: January 03, 2018, 04:57:39 pm »

My issue is if we do the spread approach they will Zerg rush with their craft which will take out a scoutvand they get our goodies from it. In bunching up we get to fight off the vultures from the sky. But we do need serious infantry upgrades and base add ons. Was even considering a design on kaiju in future to really throw them in a loop.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: January 03, 2018, 05:01:05 pm »

Kaiju would be a Pain In The Ass to design and field. Square Cubed Rule exists for biological things. Not to mention it'd be absurdly expensive and get wrecked by a simple missile.

Would need WOG that it wouldn't be trivially trashed the same way mechs would.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: January 03, 2018, 05:02:55 pm »

Something with alien alloy enforced cyborg skeleton, cells met to absorb radiation while being tampered tonwithstand intense heat. But yeah. :throws idea away.:

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: January 03, 2018, 05:03:46 pm »

The main way of expanding UP reserves that we're aware of is Harvest missions. Which is why I'm happy to accept the risk of losing a UFO or two to run them. (The risk isn't even that high - remember Japan? We could have escaped if we'd had air superiority which, given a successful ECM refit and a splitting of X-Com forces, we will probably have. If they don't split, we come out on top anyway.

NinjaEdit: If they chuck everything at one of our scouts the other two missions get off scot free, and the odds of the scout being captured are in my opinion quite slim. Two successful missions and one failure sounds like a very good ratio to me.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 05:05:18 pm by TopHat »
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: January 03, 2018, 05:05:04 pm »

I think we should expand our VP/UP reserves.
you mean VP/EP right? As is we have enough UP to fill three scouts with sectoids and drones, and three tokens that can each grant us 1 UP worth of a unit every turn.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: January 03, 2018, 05:14:59 pm »

Just throwing out plasma weapons

Carbine, Rifle, Lance (sniper Rifle,) Heavy Support, alloy based shotgun, and a mini gun version of cannon for Mutons/sectoids. Maybe have modular beams that can be bazookas too.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: January 03, 2018, 05:22:28 pm »

I'd be all up for getting a plasma sniper soon, but not yet.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 05:25:15 pm by Failbird105 »

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: January 03, 2018, 05:35:50 pm »

Of course. Just throwing out a chart is all.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 63