Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 63

Author Topic: Ethereals : XCOM Arms Race  (Read 64970 times)

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ethereals : XCOM Arms Race
« Reply #255 on: December 26, 2017, 07:33:07 pm »

Mmm... yeah. I really want to get our stealth so we're ready for next turn, but we really should try to keep ourselves alive for this turn. Updated my vote. I just hope it applies this turn.

Puppyguard

• Bay Watcher
  • An avatar? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: December 26, 2017, 07:34:57 pm »

Quote from: Votes
Revision
BCO: (3) NUKE9.13, Piratejoe, Ardent Debater
ECM: (3) Shadowclaw, Failbird105, Puppyguard

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: December 26, 2017, 07:50:34 pm »

Revision
BCO: (2) NUKE9.13, Ardent Debater
ECM: (4) Shadowclaw, Failbird105, Puppyguard, Piratejoe
Welp, lets make them suffer more then, and by that I mean lets make their aircraft useless against our own.
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: December 26, 2017, 10:33:40 pm »

Revision
ECM: (5) Shadowclaw, Failbird105, Puppyguard, Piratejoe, Kevak

Air Superiority is the only thing that matters when it comes down to it.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: December 26, 2017, 11:00:36 pm »

Revision
ECM: (6) Shadowclaw, Failbird105, Puppyguard, Piratejoe, Kevak, Tyrant Leviathan

Jam the missiles then work on radar jamming.

Ardent Debater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: December 26, 2017, 11:10:55 pm »

A very solid point ShadowClaw, I'll shift my vote in acknowledgement.

Revision
BCO: (1) NUKE9.13
ECM: (7) Shadowclaw, Failbird105, Puppyguard, Piratejoe, Kevak, Tyrant Leviathan, Ardent Debater

Next turn, we should develop the BCO and go all out with amping up our aircraft. Air superiority is key, if they can't defeat us in the sky, the ground will be easy as pie.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: December 27, 2017, 02:47:20 am »

...guys we established that revisions do not apply to ships on the turn they are made. So voting for ECM ain't gonna do jack to help us this turn, and it means no stealth missions next turn either. Like, I'm fine with it, just recognise that it is taking our plan and throwing it out the window.

Also, Shadow, in this case, putting all our eggs in one basket is the correct move, because if we split up our eggs, XCOM will have an easier time shooting down/capturing a mission. Our eggs get stronger when put together. By not working on stealth tech, you are consigning us to using the same strategy next turn, and just revising stealth then instead.
Long Live United Forenia!

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: December 27, 2017, 04:09:14 am »

Well I mean that ECM may look worse if we don't get access to it for the wave of UFOs we just sent out because it will have no effect for the dogfight that's going to happen, however their are still strengths in getting access to it. If we have the ability to jam radar technology for their guided missiles, than it will be much more easier for future research into jamming signals and stealth signals because we would have more knowledge on the intricacies of human's radars systems.

As with future endeavors, for UFOs we want to perform more important missions such as of the infiltration type than they would get ECM and the enemy wouldn't even differentiate the more important UFOs from the simple UFOs performing a simple harvest mission. The enemy might think that a simple UFO protected by a Medium Fighter is of higher priority and would send multiple interceptors, but the lonely UFO that they can't interpret being the higher priority, would only send a single interceptors that couldn't even blast it down because of ECM. Lastly, I believe developing a simple form of ECM would probably be easier than trying to develop Stealth Radar technologies, or at least reliable and consistent ones would be much more difficult to produce.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: December 27, 2017, 04:34:04 am »

Speaking of this, ebbor, I may be confused, so could you clarify: is this game primarily about UFOs and Interceptors dogfighting, with ground combat thrown in as an afterthought, or is it more like the videogames, where the aerial combat is only a sideshow to the ground focus?

Anyway, like I said, I can see the appeal of ECM. I think BCO is the better choice, but I won't be tearing my hair out if ECM wins.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: December 27, 2017, 05:57:59 am »

ebbor, I may be confused, so could you clarify: is this game primarily about UFOs and Interceptors dogfighting, with ground combat thrown in as an afterthought, or is it more like the videogames, where the aerial combat is only a sideshow to the ground focus?

Ground combat is important, and certainly not ignoreable.

You can see that in the first turn. The enemy shot down one of your UFO's, the UFO crashed. They didn't follow up on it, so the UFO got repaired and took off again.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: December 27, 2017, 07:48:43 am »

Good news guys! From the main thread we've been informed that our ship revisions WILL apply, as long as they wouldn't be noticed prior to interception. So basically, because the ECM will only be noticed after the missiles fire, it will likely be added in.
The exception is if we roll in a way that makes it always active, in which case it might be noticeable beforehand and thus not apply this turn.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: December 27, 2017, 09:11:27 am »

If that is correct, then doing ECM wouldn't be such a bad idea.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: December 27, 2017, 10:01:23 am »

decided to rename the updated Hugh-Manns on the last page into "Skin Crawlers"
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 10:20:02 am by Failbird105 »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: December 27, 2017, 10:51:03 am »

Speaking of which, I forgot to mention that I like the updated proposal a lot more, and- assuming XCOM doesn't surprise us with something that demands immediate action- will vote for it in the next Design Phase.

Also, question for ebbor: I assume it is possible to get EP and VP tokens as well, right? Any hints as to what sort of missions would yield such rewards?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: December 27, 2017, 11:58:26 am »

ebbor: I assume it is possible to get EP and VP tokens as well, right? Any hints as to what sort of missions would yield such rewards?

It's possible, certainly

EP and VP tokens would be awarded for stuff that makes it easier for you to deploy them. Either stealing resources or production capacity, establishing closer places to base them from, stuff like that.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 63