Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 63

Author Topic: Ethereals : XCOM Arms Race  (Read 64940 times)

Ardent Debater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ethereals : XCOM Arms Race
« Reply #210 on: December 25, 2017, 05:34:39 pm »

Signing up for Ethereals because Ayy Lmao.

I'm of the opinion we shouldn't attempt a conversion mission until we've created a dedicated stealth cruiser and infiltration species like the Thin Men, otherwise the odds of them discovering our efforts is much too high. Instead, we should use our turn's revision to revise the scout drone design, making them slightly larger to add the capacity to shoot a plasma pistol in ground combat, instead of melee suicide attacks, which should exponentially increase their effectiveness.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: December 25, 2017, 05:39:39 pm »

Personally I do still think we need a revision to get armor, because upgrading a units durability first is wasting a revision, since it ONLY benefits that unit, any further ones we make will not get that advantage.
I mean, we could apply it to all our ships, I suppose.
Long Live United Forenia!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: December 25, 2017, 05:40:54 pm »

What makes you think that a revision cannot be applied to ships as well as units after we've planned the missions? I think that so long as it doesn't affect the cost, we should be able to apply the upgrades.

ebbor, could you confirm this?

XCOM's interception phase runs concurrent with your revision phase. That means that what ships they spot is already decided before your revision is rolled.

So far XCOM has successfully detected at least 3/4 of our attacks so far (they might've just ignored the last one, who knows). I'm pretty sure at this point that they've set up some Big Radar or something that covers most of/all of the earth. I doubt it would matter if we sent less craft per mission, they'll find out anyway. So (presuming I'm correct about their detection abilities), it would be safer to send more craft with important missions, because the Scout would be better protected. Also Stealth Tech is a good idea and probably necessary.

The odds are significantly in favor of being spotted, because just sneaking by without effort on your side is boring. However, spotting doesn't just determine interception, it also determines when the vessel is intercepted. There's descent odds of it occuring only after the mission is complete.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: December 25, 2017, 05:52:11 pm »

So we should wait until AFTER we can stealth and infiltrate to do a mission that requires those things.
I say we go for making the stealth system revision in that case, and not run a recruitment mission until next turn.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2017, 05:54:58 pm by Failbird105 »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: December 25, 2017, 05:56:15 pm »

Ah, right, that makes sense.
Hmm. Yeah, in that case, we should hold off on Recruit missions till we have some stealth tech.

New plan, then:

Quote from: Plan Let's All Go To Brazil
Mission Type: Harvest
Craft(s): 2 Small Scout , 1 Medium fighter (4VP)
Unit loadout: 2 Sectoid (2xPlasma Pistols, 1xMeld container, 1xElerium Grenade) (2UP, 2EP)
2 Scout Drone (2UP)
Destination: Brazil

It was mentioned that we were short on space in the Small Scout, so sending two isn't a waste.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 02:56:44 pm by NUKE9.13 »

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: December 25, 2017, 06:01:05 pm »

We don't have four UP, but I can tell you meant for one of the drones to use EP.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: December 25, 2017, 06:13:17 pm »

I still prefer a 1 Scout+1 Medium Fighter and a 1 Scout strategy going to different places; they most likely try to make their interceptors try to not destroy the UFO but rather capture it with a Skyranger; which makes the the Scout protect by a Medium Fighter much more threatening.

Plan: Screw people who like Niles and Robots

Crafts(s): 1 Small Scout, 1 Medium Fighter 3VP
Unit Loadout: 1 Sectoid (Plasma Pistols, Meld Containers) (1UP, 1EP)
1 Scout Drones (1UP)
Destination: Egypt

Crafts(s): 1 Small Scout (1 VP)
Unit Loadout: 1 Sectoid (Plasma Pistols, Elerium Grenades) (1UP, 1EP)
1 Scout Drones (1UP)
Destination: Japan
(Cost: 4 VP, 4 UP, 2 EP)

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: December 25, 2017, 06:20:38 pm »

We don't have four UP, but I can tell you meant for one of the drones to use EP.
You're absolutely right that we don't have four UP.

We have six.

Anyway, votes?

Quote from: Votes
Strategy
Let's All Go To Egypt: (1) NUKE9.13

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: December 25, 2017, 06:30:34 pm »

You're absolutely right that we don't have four UP.

We have six.

Anyway, votes?
yeah no fucking clue how I forgot that.
Strategy
Let's All Go To Egypt: (2) NUKE9.13, Failbird105

Puppyguard

• Bay Watcher
  • An avatar? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: December 25, 2017, 06:36:28 pm »

Strategy
NUKE's 'Let's All Go To Egypt': (3) NUKE9.13, Failbird105, Puppyguard
Shadowclaw's 'Screw people who like Niles and Robots': (1) Shadowclaw777
If we send a scout alone it's a suicide mission, they will have interceptors able to deal with a lone one.
Even if it did land it'd still get wiped out as soon as it took off.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: December 25, 2017, 07:02:52 pm »

We have to hope a Medium Fighter and Two Small Scouts can take out two interceptors and two sky rangers; they utilize guided missiles. I understand we want to go with Stealth optics and whatnot to make our future infiltration advances. But if we go with this plan, I highly RECOMMEND that we develop a ECM for our Ships so that their guided missiles become useless. A small fighter last time stood equal to a interceptor, so you can say that we probably have good odds against two interceptors. But their is highly likely chance they upgraded their interceptors and we would get absolutely crushed and have gained no progress while the enemy just takes our UFOs. This really means we should develop a counter to their weapons, which in this case is just making their guided weapons not work.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: December 25, 2017, 07:06:08 pm »

The results for the Medium Fighter outright say it can take on 3 Interceptors at a time. I think we should be good. Besides, splitting our forces wouldn't solve that problem at all.

Something occurred to me, ebbor: is one Meld Container enough to cover an entire mission? ie, are multiples redundant?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: December 25, 2017, 07:16:57 pm »

The effect stacks but dimishes.

The results for the Medium Fighter outright say it can take on 3 Interceptors at a time.

I see, that'a bit unclear. Against your own light fighters, it can take on 3 at once.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2017, 07:19:25 pm by 10ebbor10 »

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: December 25, 2017, 07:29:11 pm »

Decided to make an infiltration unit. I just want the Reavers as I designed them too much to cut away so much of their appearance to make them infiltrators, so I'm going to design a dedicated infiltration unit now.

Design: Ordinary Father Hugh-Mann
So you know the mimic octopus, that Earth cephalopod which alters its color, texture, and posture to replicate other Earth sea creatures? Well the Hugh-Manns(name subject to change) are those, but altered and improved for our purposes. Physically its a mimic octopus scaled up greatly, with an extra set of eyes on its head that match the position of human eyes when it is disguised, its tentacles all split into 3 smaller tentacles a few inches from the tip allowing it to form a facsimile of fingers, but they don't look convincing without gloves, it braids two tentacles around eachother to form each individual limb, so they don't look convincing when not covered either. It has several more key differences from the norm of mimic octopi.
First, it is somewhat more intelligent, equal to sectoids in general intelligence, but with extra enhancements dedicated to social interaction and language, it still struggles to manage "slang" however. Second, its changes are FAR more precise, it can pretty much perfectly mimic human skin and hair colors in addition to the normal ability to mimic the color of the ground around it, and can use its changes to replicate a human face quite accurately, though not as accurately as it can replicate an inanimate object, leaving it somewhat in the "uncanny valley" as humans call it, main problem is it can only do one expression at a time, bigger changes like for talking or going from open smile to large frown are beyond it, but the smaller, subtler ones are within its capacity. Third, it has vocal chords, and can speak relatively well, albeit rather monotone.
Its physical strength is above human levels, however its lack of bones make carrying heavy objects very hard(hauling along the ground works though). It can hold objects and is capable of precise manipulation on the level of any human.
In combat meanwhile, it can shed its disguise(basically just slipping out of its clothes), in such a state, it is effectively a giant mimic octopus with guns, it can technically hold and wield a gun with each tentacle, but needs to use two at a time to keep them steady for aiming and three at once to stop recoil, it can use its unarmed tentacles both for climbing with its suction cups and for using them to grab enemies in a tight grip and rip their weapons from their hands, and its camouflage lets it blend in effortlessly with the color and texture of its surroundings.
Typically wears a generic black suit outfit, and are equipped with a plasma pistol in addition to their primary weapon(even if said weapon is a plasma pistol)
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 09:47:18 am by Failbird105 »

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: December 25, 2017, 07:33:14 pm »

Quote from: Plan Portugal, AKA Panic Conga line, AKA Fuck brazil in particular.
Quote from: Mission 1
Craft(s): 1 Small Scout , 1 Medium fighter (3VP)
Unit loadout: 1 Sectoid (Plasma Pistols, Meld container) (1UP, 1EP)
1 Scout Drone (1UP)

Quote from: Mission 2
Mission Type: Recruit Collaborators
Craft(s): 1 Small Scout (1VP)
Unit loadout: 1 Sectoid (Plasma Pistols, Elerium Grenade) (1UP, 1EP)
1 Scout Drone (1UP)
Total Cost: 4VP, 4UP, 2EP
They wouldn't expect it a second time!

We probably should figure out a way to up our VP again. Seeing how medium fighters cost an arm and a leg.
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 63