Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 63

Author Topic: Ethereals : XCOM Arms Race  (Read 64873 times)

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
Re: Ethereals : XCOM Arms Race
« Reply #135 on: December 24, 2017, 12:33:23 pm »

Quote from: Votes
Design:
Armorer Crab [1] - Failbird105
- Use DNA token [1] - Failbird105
- Don't use DNA token [] -

Scuttles [3] - NUKE9.13, SamSpeeds, Crazyabe
- Use DNA token [3] - NUKE9.13, SamSpeeds, Crazyabe

Major Fighter Improvements [2] - Piratejoe, Kevak

Bonus Design:
Recruit Collaborators [4] - Failbird105, NUKE9.13, SamSpeeds, Crazyabe
Air Superiority [3] - Sprinkled Chariot, Piratejoe, Kevak
Frankly air superiority is the king here. If we have air superiority, they can't engage us on the ground, they can't loot our shit, they can't disrupt our missions. They can't do jack shit. We can deal with the ground after we take the sky.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 24, 2017, 12:46:18 pm »

I do agree we need to improve air power, but firepower seems to be the wrong way. Our shots can kill them just fine, the problem is in dodging and hitting, that's why the plan is for the fighter algorithm improvement for our revision.

One of our problems is missiles having better range.
Also revision of fighter should definitely involve moving guns from fixed mounts to rotating turrets on top and below craft for 360 coverage
That will effect aerodynamics, which we still have to deal with even as aliens with super tech. Its not a bad idea to use turrets for a heavy fighter but for now we probably should work on making it as fast and agile as possible along with having the piloting system work as well as it can. I have a few ideas for a heavy fighter and a bomber of sorts too. I should mention however, that fighters will always be useful, even when we get to the point of having cruisers and battleships flying in the earths atmosphere, as they can help shoot down their interceptors even then.
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 24, 2017, 12:51:35 pm »

Just to be clear, do you want a crab that comes with a "free" Plasma pistol, or one that can use a plasma pistol?
One that can use a plasma pistol. I mean, plasma pistols are free anyway, right?
That being said, I'm assuming that we can figure out how to rig a plasma pistol to a crab wrist without needing a separate revision. However, I might be wrong, in which case, scrap the pistol.

The fighter improvements are good, and doing them as a design will make them easier... but designs are precious, and even though they might not be equally effective as a revision, they would still be enough to make it more than a match for XCOM's interceptors.

The Air Superiority mission... won't win us any rewards, other than maybe some Panic. And we don't need a mission type for fighters to protect other ships, they already do that. And being on a mission isn't going to make our ships better fighters (I think). It seems to me like you're just removing any chance of getting a substantial reward for no benefit.
Long Live United Forenia!

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 24, 2017, 12:58:56 pm »

Design:

Scuttles [3] - NUKE9.13, SamSpeeds, Crazyabe
- Use DNA token [3] - NUKE9.13, SamSpeeds, Crazyabe

Major Fighter Improvements [3] - Piratejoe, Kevak,
Sprinkhuled cherioot

Bonus Design:
Air Superiority [3] - Sprinkled Chariot, Piratejoe, Kevak
Frankly air superiority is the king here. If we have air superiority, they can't engage us on the ground, they can't loot our shit, they can't disrupt our missions. They can't do jack shit. We can deal with the ground after we take the sky.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 24, 2017, 01:01:55 pm »

Just to be clear, do you want a crab that comes with a "free" Plasma pistol, or one that can use a plasma pistol?
One that can use a plasma pistol. I mean, plasma pistols are free anyway, right?

Heh, whoops...
I managed to forget that.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 24, 2017, 01:02:27 pm »

Air superiority missions exist for a couple of reasons, to tie up Xcom resources, and punish them if they ignore them. The use for them are to force Xcom to spend resources on something that will pull away from their main efforts, or suffer a increase in panic if they don't. It will also give us the most accurate and reliable view on the strengths and weaknesses of our own fighters and Xcoms Aircraft, especially should they field a new one.

The Reason we should do fighter improvements now is, as Kevak said, because Air superiority is king, and I'm sure Xcom knows this. Considering they got some of our tech, alloys and so on, I would honestly be surprised if they didn't make a new fighter this turn just to make our own practically useless, or at the very least upgrade their craft in some way or another. And if they don't you ask? Then they have a bit more of catching up to do to be a mach for our fighters.
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

Puppyguard

• Bay Watcher
  • An avatar? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 24, 2017, 01:28:32 pm »

Design:

Scuttles [4] - NUKE9.13, SamSpeeds, Crazyabe, Puppyguard
- Use DNA token [4] - NUKE9.13, SamSpeeds, Crazyabe, Puppyguard

Major Fighter Improvements [2] - Piratejoe, Kevak

Bonus Design:
Air Superiority [4] - Sprinkled Chariot, Piratejoe, Kevak, Puppyguard

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 24, 2017, 01:34:47 pm »

Design:

Scuttles [4] - NUKE9.13, SamSpeeds, Crazyabe, Puppyguard
- Use DNA token [4] - NUKE9.13, SamSpeeds, Crazyabe, Puppyguard

Major Fighter Improvements [3] - Piratejoe, Kevak, sprinkled chariot

Bonus Design:
Air Superiority [4] - Sprinkled Chariot, Piratejoe, Kevak, Puppyguard
Fixed that for you, although, I don't really see the scuttles useful, as a single grenade behind it will get past the most important part of its armour and probably turn it from mobile cover to stationary.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 24, 2017, 01:35:55 pm »

I mean, air superiority (the concept, not the mission) is important, but I doubt ebbor intends for it to be the be-all end-all. I mean, XCOM (the videogame) is mostly about ground combat.
The thing about pulling resources away from XCOM's main efforts is that we're pulling an equal amount of resources away from our main efforts. Every VP spent on an Air Superiority mission is one not spent harvesting or whatever.
As for using the mission to see who has the better fighter... firstly, I don't see why we can't get that data on normal missions (see for example the most recent update, where we got some aerial combat that let us know our new fighter is mediocre), secondly, even if that was somewhat the case, is it really worth spending a design over?

So, yes, I want to improve our fighter. However, I think a revision will be enough.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 24, 2017, 01:39:02 pm »

I really feel that a revision wont be enough. The Revision I designed will just make it better at piloting itself, not actually improve its agility or speed. The Design I made for it does all of that, which should make it a decent fighter, something we really need if we want to actually fight off Xcom properly and not get shot down the second we are in their sights. As for the air superiority mission. I feel it will be very important later on when we have more VP to spare, and, causing panic is extremely important for us seeing how its the most likely way we will win the game.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 24, 2017, 01:46:07 pm »

Then we can design it later, when we have VP to spare. It's not like this is our last chance to design a mission.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 24, 2017, 01:51:01 pm »

The issue here is, I don't care to much about what mission gets voted up, but I do care quite a bit about the fighter. Please, do tell me why the Scuttles which could probably be easily taken out with a well placed grenade and is slow will help us much when we have cover already in battles as we are the ones who keep blasting through cover, not Xcom. Our fighter is clearly inefficient and that wont do, we need to upgrade it as much as we can to get it working at peek performance so we can properly defend our UFO's and I feel a single revision wont be able to do that...

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 24, 2017, 01:53:17 pm »

That's my main problem with the scuttler as well. The Armorer Crab meanwhile certainly isn't great but it protects the bits it's designed to protect just fine.

As for the whole fighter improvement design thing, I agree that it's important, but I feel like the general fighter improvement would work best as a revision and feel the need to ask: what do you want to revise if that design goes through?

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 24, 2017, 01:54:43 pm »

Probably Plasma rifles or basic body armour for our troops. The body armour shouldn't be hard at all, though the rifle might be a bit tricky...Unless of course, we botch our roll and need to spend the revision revising fixes to our fighter.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 24, 2017, 02:06:55 pm »

Please, do tell me why the Scuttles which could probably be easily taken out with a well placed grenade and is slow will help us much when we have cover already in battles as we are the ones who keep blasting through cover, not Xcom.
The Scuttle will provide better, mobile cover, as well as serving as a combatant in its own right.
All our troops can be taken out by a well-placed grenade. They'd have to be extra-well placed to take out an armoured Scuttle, though.

That being said, I'm not married to the Scuttle. We could do something else. I think we need a ground combatant of some kind, though. We have the DNA credit, and 2 UP credits, so it's a good use of resources. And Sectoids aren't quite cutting it as tanks.
My problem with the Armourer Crab is that it doesn't add any offensive power to the board, whilst still taking up the space of a unit. Sure, we get armoured Sectoids. But those armoured Sectoids are gonna be all alone. Whereas Scuttles would be like armoured Sectoids that take up half the space on a ship.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 63