Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 76

Author Topic: Vigilo Confido : XCOM Arms Race  (Read 85641 times)

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vigilo Confido : XCOM Arms Race
« Reply #1035 on: February 26, 2018, 04:50:59 pm »

I frankly don't even care if the XH3 wins now (though obviously I'd prefer either PLATE or a fully-automatic version of the railgun), just so long as we don't toss the infantry under the not-actually-proverbial bomb-launching alien bus of doom.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: February 26, 2018, 04:55:58 pm »

The general notes on alien operation and training of men for situations involving aliens (Unit Experience) will be of great use for this project. As will using stolen EXALT intelligence (EXALT token) with what we can gleam of their operation methods and what they know about the aliens already in order to give our operatives an idea of what to expect with more subtle situations.

This is even vaguer than the previous iteration.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: February 26, 2018, 05:01:28 pm »

I don't think burst-fire has that notable of a difference with full-automatic. Especially when they're both compared to upgrading to burst from semi-auto.
But I'll modify the XH-3 to make burst-fire optional in the sense of "automatic would be nice but we wouldn't complain about burst-fire." It'll probably still be burst-fire on a non-crit role, but it shouldn't add difficulty and it's better than making burst-fire a required part of the design.

And yes. Just anything upgrading our infantry would be nice. We can't just ignore on the ground when we lost so horrifically there last time. Adding another Unit won't fix it.

The general notes on alien operation and training of men for situations involving aliens (Unit Experience) will be of great use for this project. As will using stolen EXALT intelligence (EXALT token) with what we can gleam of their operation methods and what they know about the aliens already in order to give our operatives an idea of what to expect with more subtle situations.

This is even vaguer than the previous iteration.
Okay, I completely disagree (and that isn't meant to be taken as this turn's reivsions) considering we didn't have to be this specific for any other token, but whatever.

We use the Unit Experience token to train our agents.
We use EXALT intel to learn about how EXALT operates, and see if we can find anything about what they know about aliens. Then we incorporate that into agent training to better prepare them for what to expect.

But with that being said, I'd prefer a bit longer on the revision if possible. I won't complain if it goes regardless since it's not exactly within my rights or abilities to delay an update, but personally I'd like to at least see if Madman and I reach anyone with our arguments first.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: February 26, 2018, 05:08:20 pm »

Burst fire is, in the technical sense, harder than full-auto. At least, it is with a conventional firearm. Here it's all computerized, and the difference between "burst" and "auto" is whether or not the electricity stops after 3 rounds.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: February 26, 2018, 05:16:24 pm »

Basically, I just didn't want the revision to try and absorb the difficulty of handling recoil in full-auto. We definitely have a very manageable recoil for the gun to be as useable as it is right now, but I don't think that it's quite at "easily handled at full-auto without upgrading" levels yet. And I want the revision to focus on the burst/auto-fire part, not the recoil part.
I'll make the revision reflect that more accurately. So less "make it burst-fire" and more "don't worry too much about recoil".
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: February 26, 2018, 05:18:20 pm »

Actually, you'd just need a slider to control the strength of each shot. The gun is already computerized, otherwise it'd be full-auto now (though with a slow loading system). You just need to tell the computer "less power, but don't stop feeding power in" and boom, full-auto with less recoil.

Pavellius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: February 26, 2018, 05:22:04 pm »

Switching my vote to XH3 (if possible).
Anti mimic training of Inter agency cooperation teams (2): Strongpoint, Pavellius
Rockbreaker Missiles Mk. 2 (0):
XH-3 Railgun (4): Chiefwaffles, Happerry, Madman, Pavellius
ARC Thrower (0):
Investigatory Unit (3): Blood_Librarian, Happerry, strongpoint
PLATE: (1) Madman

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: February 26, 2018, 05:33:45 pm »

Good point, Madman, I'll edit that in.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: February 26, 2018, 05:35:09 pm »

Sniper rifle, battle rifle, assault rifle, and submachine gun, all in one.

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: February 26, 2018, 05:35:41 pm »

Anti mimic training of Inter agency cooperation teams (2): Strongpoint, Pavellius
XH-3 Railgun (4): Chiefwaffles, Happerry, Madman, Pavellius, Blood_Librarian
ARC Thrower (0):
Investigatory Unit (2):  Happerry, strongpoint
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: February 26, 2018, 05:37:13 pm »

Okay, I completely disagree (and that isn't meant to be taken as this turn's reivsions) considering we didn't have to be this specific for any other token, but whatever.

In the previous tokens, you were far more specific. To take the Talon as an example :
- Alien alloy was used to reinforce and strengthen the armor
- Power core was used to inttegrate a power core
- Propulsion was used for your specific engine

I can do the same thing with your base. The big fancy computer is intended to do the analysis and look for aliens.

We use the Unit Experience token to train our agents.

Using Unit experience to train agents is as vague as can be. Any action of any sort will involve training agents.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: February 26, 2018, 05:41:41 pm »

That's because the other tokens are far more specific. Alien alloy is a specific material, power core is a power core, propulsion is propulsion. It's easy to use these tokens more specifically when they themselves are more specific. It's hard to know what to do with just a nebulous "Unit Experience."
Regardless, I should be able to describe it better when I next post a design using the token. For now, it's not relevant since the XH-3 is winning over Investigatory Units.

Also, edit done to the XH-3. Link is here for those who don't want to go hunting for it.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: February 26, 2018, 07:09:32 pm »

XH-3 Railgun (5): Chiefwaffles, Happerry, Madman, Pavellius, Blood_Librarian, Happerry
ARC Thrower (0):
Investigatory Unit (1): strongpoint
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Thanatos Russ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: February 26, 2018, 11:01:24 pm »

Why not use the experience token to teach the NS dudes how to use the new equipment really well?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: February 27, 2018, 02:57:59 am »

XH-3 Railgun (Edited - changed wording around recoil and whatnot)
The XH-2 is a solid railgun, but it's still effectively a glorified prototype.

By drawing on our experience with the manufacturing and maintenance of the XH-2 since its deployment as well as our other experience with railguns - the Phoenix gunpod, the Talon's upgraded railguns, and our base defense railguns - we can improve the gun. The XH-3 uses more advanced self-loading systems in order to reload at a rate sufficient for fully automatic fire.
If recoil is a problem, we can just modify how much power goes to the rails per individual shot and let soldiers switch between modes, since it's all electric and computerized anyways. Several modes can exist - sniper, battle rifle, assault rifle, SMG. All just a matter of adjusting how much power the rails get. SMG gets low-enough power to allow for comparably-insane firerates, sniper rifle gets high power at low firerates, and so on. Bonus is that it lets the XH-3 be a multi-purpose weapon with very little effort from us.

TL;DR: We've spent a lot of time with the XH-2 and have done lots of railgun tech since then. Give the XH-2 (now XH-3) automatic-fire capabilities to make it a more effective combat weapon, especially in closer-range and faster-paced combat.
Normal : 3 + 1 = 4 Below Average

The XH-3 consists of a set of simple modifications to it's predecessor, the XH-2. The reloading mechanism has been reworked to allow fully automatic fire rate, and the devices firmware has been adjusted to allow soldiers to pick from various firerates and corresponding muzzle velocities. We also added a small supercapacitor, in order to allow the system to accumulate sufficient power for high power single shots, or for rapid fire action.

While the weapon is versatile, the basic design means that it's not well suited for all applications. Optimal functionality remains in the original configuration, with both rapid fire and high power fire being less than perfect, suffering from capacitor depletion and recoil respectively. Those are relatively minor issues.

UFO DETECTED

Quote from: Bogey 25
Craft: Medium Lander
Destination: India
Altitude : Low altitude
Mission : Harvest ?

Bogey 25 is one of the alien's big lander vessel.It's currently slowing down and heading for a landing in India. Behavioral analysis and the choice of the landing terrain suggests that this one of the alien's large scale kidnapping operations.

As a heads up, current local time is the middle of the night.

Quote from: Bogey 26 and 27
Craft: Small Lander, Small Fighter
Destination: Russia
Altitude: Orbital

26 and 27 are coming down from orbit near Russia. They consist of a small alien lander, and was as one of their smaller fighters. Insufficient data was present to devise their intent.

Quote from: Bogey 28 and 29
Craft: Small Lander, Small Fighter
Units: Skin Crawlers/Mimics , Sectoid
Destination: Mexico
Altitude : Take-off

We spotted these last 2 in Mexico, shortly after they'd taken off again. Behavioral analysis is unable to deduce their purpose here, the village they chose to accost did not fit in with their typical abduction targets, and they don't appear to have abducted anyone.

UAV footage managed to spot 1 unit of Skin Crawlers and some Sectoids as they clambered back into the UFO. The sectoid appears to be carrying some new type of weapon.

Spoiler: Technology (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: PANIC METER (click to show/hide)

Revision Phase

Turn 8

Month end : Gain 1 free VP; UP or EP point

AABBCCDD
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 04:28:25 am by 10ebbor10 »
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 76