Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 76

Author Topic: Vigilo Confido : XCOM Arms Race  (Read 85682 times)

Pavellius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vigilo Confido : XCOM Arms Race
« Reply #900 on: February 20, 2018, 08:02:26 pm »

I agree with Happerry. Also, I think the enemy is more likely to attack Brazil in the future because they have already made progress there. Obviously, having a base there will help is defend it.

Chinese Industrial Park (0):
American Mountain Base (0):
Brazil Jungle Base (2): Happerry, Pavellius
Falcon Fighter-Transport (1): Chiefwaffles

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: February 21, 2018, 05:09:21 am »

-snip-
A single mortar + an overwhelming numerical advantage. They outnumbered you more than 3 to 1.

As for why grenades don't do the same thing, sectoids are not that good at throwing. Also, higher yield in the mortar.

This is not sufficiently reflected in the battle report.

Yeah, this turn's battle report is crap. I know. Feel free to ask questions.

It's a mortar attached to the top of a UFO, for crying out loud

Pretty big UFO though.

Also Ebbor, what does the "Exalt Intel" Token do and why do we have it?

The aliens attacked what appears to be an EXALT group. Why, you don't know. But you scared them off before thry took everything with them, so you ran away with some of their loot.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: February 21, 2018, 05:28:38 am »

Okay. In that case, we should do this or another direct-infantry-benefit for our revision:

Revision: Investigatory Unit
Things are not always as they seem.

Sure, maybe before the invasion we could have entrusted local government intelligence agencies to handle this. But they’re simply no longer up to the task.
Now we have secretive independent paramilitary organizations and shape shifting aliens to worry about. We can’t rely on old Earthborne methods any more.

An investigatory Unit is a NOTSOFTER trained to manuever this new world of intelligence. While making something like this form the ground up in a revision would normally be difficult, we have a number of advantages. We take those already showing potential in the relevant fields from existing agents [Unit Experience Token]. We take the data that EXALT left behind to get a different viewpoint into these matters. We can rely on the fact that base recruitment requirements - how we recruit from top militaries and intelligence agencies ((I assume this is how we work)) - and NOTSOFTER mean our men should already be somewhat experienced and/or easy to teach on the matter.

Simply put, an Investigatory Unit is a NOTSOFTER squad with training in intelligence affairs, investigation, interrogation, and the most up-to-date briefings on anything that could possibly be relevant.
Their goal will be to locate alien/EXALT corruption and influence, to capture suspects (we hope that they can use ol’ fashioned brute force for this now - and they definitely can for humans - but while we hope it works, we don’t necessarily expect aliens to be easy capturable without special tools.), gather intelligence and information, and if possible, purge corrupting influences.

TL;DR: Use our relevant tokens to train/specialize a NOTSOFTER squad in intelligence-gathering/espionage.
 Should help locate alien/exalt influence, get us intelligence (cool tokens/base locations/infiltration warnings/advanced warnings of plans/etc.) capture humans and maybe-but-probably-not aliens, and help purge bad influences.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: February 21, 2018, 09:57:32 am »

Drooling emoji here.

Investigatory Unite (2): Chiefwaffles(?), Blood_Librarian
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: February 21, 2018, 10:15:34 am »

It’s a revision, not a design.
All it is is “use our tokens to give sole NOTSOFTER units training in investigation/espionage.”
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: February 21, 2018, 10:18:18 am »

Colombia jungle base :
Unit experience token, Exalt intelligence token, Alien equipment token

This base is buried underground like any self respecting X-Com base would do. Colombian base is created with the focus on training soldiers for different theaters and different types of war. Training grounds in harsh jungles, virtual reality combat simulators (heavily benefiting from TAV technology), computerized (de)briefing room and, most importantly, battle hardened instructors allows effective training of both X-COM operatives and our friends from Inter Agency cooperation Teams (Yet IACTs train only in aboveground jungles to avoid information leaks) rapid training of troops. No less important part of the base is an intelligence center created to analyze past and predict future actions of alien enemies and Exalt. One of the goals of the center is finding signs of alien\Exalt influence in Earth governments and NGOs.
Another important part of the base is an alien containment center built to support alien biology on what we know about them from autopsies and studying their equipment.
Needless to say that, despite its focus on intelligence and training. base also has defensive weapons, manufacturing and research facilities, hangars and other necessary elements of an X-COM base

Why I think that it is better than alternative suggestion

1) We got a monthly token and reward token, it is not that important to go for the production base.
2) I dislike the idea of building base in Brazil A LOT. They had a recent successful mission there, I will be surprised if this country isn't infested by mimics (do you really think those bastards are combat-only units? I am sure they are spies first). Also, Exalt can have supporters there because of high panic. Colombia is close enough to send our aircrafts and far enough to not be detected by Spies in Brazil
3) Not using tokens on a base is a crime.
4) Alien containment is a useful thing, If we go for a base I want one there
5) I still want to build up on Inter Agency cooperation teams, I believe those have more potential than we think, especially if we'll develop anti-Exalt or anti infiltrated mimics missions.

Investigatory Unite (1): Blood_Librarian
Colombia Jungle Base: (1) Strongpoint
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: February 21, 2018, 10:35:45 am »

Colombia Jungle Base: (1) Strongpoint, Blood_Librarian

Pavellius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: February 21, 2018, 11:19:19 am »

2) I dislike the idea of building base in Brazil A LOT. They had a recent successful mission there, I will be surprised if this country isn't infested by mimics (do you really think those bastards are combat-only units? I am sure they are spies first). Also, Exalt can have supporters there because of high panic. Colombia is close enough to send our aircrafts and far enough to not be detected by Spies in Brazil
I agree, but I think we should locate your base in Argentina instead of Columbia, because Argentina is an XCOM supporter.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: February 21, 2018, 11:25:57 am »

One tick of panic is not “high panic.” We also have many ways to combat subversion if it exists, and a base is the number one way to do that.

They consistently target Brazil. It’d be the best place to have a base for easy and quick response and counteracting of alien activity - outright or subtle - that takes place in or near Brazil. It’d be silly to ignore Brazil because it’s the most threatened. That’d be like sending a new car to the dump because it has a visible scratch on it.
Also, strongpoint’s base proposal is unneeded and we can do the same thing in a much easier revision while doing less tokens - the revision I already posted.

Also spending so many tokens on a base - especially when the tokens don’t have that much relevance (namely the alien equipment one) - is just throwing those tokens away. Weren’t you complaining about irrelevant tokens before, strongpoint?

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: February 21, 2018, 11:35:42 am »

We're not ignoring it. As you said, brazil has been consistently targeted, and if their consistent targeting results in the enemy discovering our base, we lose assets then if we put it in a neighboring country that would have for all intents and purpose the same amount of coverage then litterally right in the balst radius of their assaults.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: February 21, 2018, 11:42:58 am »

The enemy knowing about the rough location of a secondary base is not the end of the world. A base in a neighboring country wouldn’t be able to target UFOs with base defenses either.

Hell, they have an idea of where our main base is - we launched missiles from it at them - and they haven’t done a thing about it.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: February 21, 2018, 11:43:16 am »

Gravitational Pulse Shielding
These new missiles are...annoying. To counteract them, a new prototype is put into development. For simplicity's sake, it is not intended to be integrated into anything...yet. This device works by creating a "pulse" of extreme gravity outside the shielded object, triggered to when the missile enters the pulse zone. This gravitational pulse is both powerful and filled with random changes of gravitational field direction (but at a uniformly extreme strength, resulting in a remarkable combination of crushing and tearing of both the insides and outsides of the missile as each piece experiences a gravitational force in a different direction from other pieces near it, rendering it nonfunctional. Or, you know, exploding it outside the craft.

We can start with this, and then work our way into gravitational weaponry, which does the same thing but at longer range.

Or we could do some actual, decent infantry armor. Integrated (and less delicate) TAV with some alien alloy armor ought to do a lot of good for the infantry, who keep getting shot to bits.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: February 21, 2018, 11:46:07 am »

Ooh, I was thinking of that too.

I’ll make an infantry armor design later today. Should be a very valid option as alien alloy tends to be very good at resisting blunt force. Somehow.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: February 21, 2018, 11:48:36 am »

The gravitational weaponry, or the integrated infantry armor (which should really only be a revision)
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: February 21, 2018, 12:11:35 pm »

No, proper infantry armor would not be a revision simply going by XCOM rules.

In the game, alloy personal armor is a research task directly on par with the second tier of rail guns, and it’s mostly just alloy plates in the shape of armor.
It’ll be somewhat easy for us compared to the railgun thanks to our better railgun experience, but not easy enough for a revision.
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 76