Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 76

Author Topic: Vigilo Confido : XCOM Arms Race  (Read 85743 times)

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vigilo Confido : XCOM Arms Race
« Reply #825 on: February 11, 2018, 05:23:02 pm »

As far as I know, we're still using baseline missiles. The electronics are better, but all the hardware should be the same. It should be a simplish revision to make a new missile variant with a plasma resistant coating though, yah.

Design wise, I still want to see about trying to put a new base up next turn, hopefully get some more VP, UP, and EP going, and make sure that if they attack the base we've revealed to them and win we'll still have a base. But for this turn the Talon Interceptor looks good, and we also got a new VP token we can spend, either on it or for another free Skyranger.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: February 11, 2018, 05:48:02 pm »

I like Talon. My only problem that it may be too expensive to give us any tactical flexibility
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: February 11, 2018, 06:06:40 pm »

Well, it'll definitely be more expensive for sure. But keep in mind that this isn't "the raven + GPD + power core". The new propulsion and power source replace other super expensive parts in the Raven - the human-based reactor and propulsion. Hell, the Raven was already on the extreme bleeding edge of tech, so their parts were bound to be extremely expensive.

I'm not trying to claim that it'll be cheaper or even the same price, but I'm saying we shouldn't expect some insane increase in VP cost. And if it does cost more, that's fine. It'll be more than worth it, and things will get more expensive over time. People are still planning on a base to expand our air/VP capabilities, and we even have a VP token we can and should use on the Talon to get one for free always (which would be huge.)
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: February 11, 2018, 06:10:35 pm »

To buy 3VP fighter you need three VP tokens. If this wasn't the case we would have a spare raptor long time ago.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: February 11, 2018, 06:12:19 pm »

Ah, woops.

Regardless. Still very useful.
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: February 11, 2018, 07:05:22 pm »

After a brief discussion with Chief-Waffles over Discord, I have come to the conclusion of voting for Chief Waffles Talon Intercepter. with a single change.

I would prefer if a sentence related to the ships armor is changed.

Quote from: Change from
Alien alloy armoring - very thick for an aircraft (though not too thick by itself) - combined with ceramics allows the craft to tank numerous hits from alien weapons.

Quote from: Change too
the entire crafts outer hull is made up of ceramic plates held in place by an interior and exterior hull plates of Alien-Alloy, this structure armor emplacement allows the craft to tank numerous hits from alien weapons.

The reason why I ask for this is that I feel it is too vague in relation to the rest of the craft as well as a couple other unlisted reasons. Ideally, I would prefer this changed before I voted, but I would probably forget, so I'm just gonna vote for the design and politely ask that you change it or else.

I have also made another Design vote of the -B variant of this craft which is exclusively just this change with the rest of the crafts design implementation in Chiefwaffles original post the same in case my demands are not enforced and Chiefwaffles refuses my ultimatum. If Chiefwaffles does, in fact, change his design to include my requested change, then the Interceptor A and B variant will effectively be the same and should count as voting for the same thing.

DESIGN
Talon Interceptor-A (1): Chiefwaffles
Talon Intercepter-B (1):Blood_Librarian
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 07:14:25 pm by Blood_Librarian »
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: February 11, 2018, 07:11:22 pm »

After a brief discussion with Chief-Waffles over Discord, I have come to the conclusion of voting for Chief Waffles Talon Intercepter. with a single change.
Wait, when did this game gain a discord?

Honestly, on the subject of aircraft, I think the first armor description sounds better.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: February 11, 2018, 07:13:32 pm »

He direct messaged me two hours before he designed the craft if I wanted to design the craft with him. By the time I was online he had already designed the craft and I nitpicked over little things.
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: February 11, 2018, 07:56:44 pm »

Ceramics are better armor against plasma weaponry, though, but including an outer layer of metal as well will allow the skin to survive impacts and heat better.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: February 12, 2018, 11:44:40 am »

I have a different aircraft design in mind.

Colibri, 1 Powercore Token, 1 Propulsion Token
Colibri is a small and nimble fighter about 2\3 of Raven size built for boom and zoom tactic. It is propelled by a ramjet based on the one used on Ravens but it has another source of power very similar to the one used on alien crafts. This power source is used to provide power to two key systems: Phoenix derived railgun that goes from the tail to the nose of the aircraft and gravity manipulating unit that allows pilot to change weight (not mass) of the aircraft. AGU can be used to reduce Earth gravity to as low as 0.25G for the unprecedented climbing speed or increased to 3G for fast diving. Also, AGU can be used to manipulate G forces in the pilot's cockpit allowing pilot to endure much more extreme maneuvers. Needless to say that Colibri has improved set of electronics comparing to Raven benefiting from experience gained during Rockslide and TAV projects. In addition to its main internal armament Colibri can carry roughly half as much external weapons as Ravens.

I want AGU because I see potential of it for our soldiers and gravity reducing armor while Talon's engine is useless for Infantry. Also, I want to focus on railgun and leave missiles alone for some time. Also, it doesn't try to be a flying tank and saves alloy token for the infantry armor.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 11:50:20 am by Strongpoint »

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: February 12, 2018, 11:46:40 am »

One mounting point can't carry more than one missile, unless it's internal. Anything more than one (MAYBE two, MAYBE) produced some weird aerodynamic effects, and would make it nigh impossible to keep up with a UFO in combat.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: February 12, 2018, 11:49:39 am »

OK, I'll rephrase it to be more clear that I want them to be able to carry half of what Raven's can

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: February 12, 2018, 12:32:16 pm »

The Talon engine gives us experience with wholesale gravity manipulation. Not as much as a “make the craft lighter” sure but it has its own set of benefits.
The Talon GPD is arguably easier and better for aircraft. We use gravity tech specialized in just forward-propulsion (with some thrust vectoring and minor gravity manipulation for normally impractical g-forces) and combine it with our conventional plane tech.

The aliens’ propulsion is designed for space. We should take advantage of the fact that we’ve been making aircraft designed for Earth for a while. Focus on adapting the gravity tech to our advantages. We don’t need complete gravity manipulation yet, and shouldn’t risk the difficulty gained in attempting to acquire complete gravity manipulation.

And anyways, infantry flight is going to be hard and needing of its own propulsion token either way. You can’t adapt an experimental extreme-speed interceptor engine for infantry use easily, no matter how that engine works.
The GPD gives us experience with gravity manipulation and propulsion, meaning that infantry flight would be well within range once we have the right tokens.

Though the Colibri is potentially valid (I still greatly prefer the Talon). But I do think it should have a much greater focus on agility if it doesn’t add armor and is relying on close-ranged fixed mount weapons.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: February 12, 2018, 01:19:31 pm »

It is meant to be a zoom and boom fighter, it needs raw speed and acceleration, not agility.

I don't want infantry flight, I want to have Moon like jumping and ability to carry heavy stuff first.

Actually... how about doing infantry battle armor with gravity reduction and then adapt it to Raven with a revision?

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: February 12, 2018, 01:20:43 pm »

I much prefer the Talon. It is more detailed and also probably less difficult than the Colibri.

Strongpoint, it absolutely not going to work to "boom and zoom" against spacecraft that literally don't have to care about gravity, even if you're screwing with gravity yourself.
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 76