Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 76

Author Topic: Vigilo Confido : XCOM Arms Race  (Read 85580 times)

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
Re: Vigilo Confido : XCOM Arms Race
« Reply #345 on: December 24, 2017, 08:08:33 pm »

Hold off on weapons. They do not have armor and we are already adding firepower with our mission type. Let's stop getting spooked, requiring a rush to overcome.

One bonus of the mosquito, is if they are reading our minds, it won't work on them.

XenoCeramics (1) Blood_Librarian
ACE (2) Madman, roseheart
Mosquito Combat Drone (3) Cnidaros, Stabby, roseheart
XH1 Laser Rifle (2) Chiefwaffles, Happerry
XH1 Railgun Rifle (3) Chiefwaffles, Happerry, strongpoint
XOMU (1) Blood Librarian

MISSION DESIGN
Combined Arms (3) Cnidaros, Chiefwaffles, roseheart
Surround and siege (1) strongpoint

« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 09:23:50 pm by roseheart »
It is absolutely necessary, for the peace and safety of mankind, that some of earth's dark, dead corners and unplumbed depths be left alone; lest sleeping abnormalities wake to resurgent life, and blasphemously surviving nightmares squirm and splash out of their black lairs to newer and wider conquests.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: December 24, 2017, 08:47:01 pm »

10ebbor10
Do Raven have access any kind of air to ground weapons? I assumed that we have what modern airforces have + avalanche (the best air to air missile in the world)

You have conventional air-to-ground ammo, yes. On the other hand, the Raven is exactly designed for it, and

Commander! You may want to instruct your men to exercise restraint when using explosives... while certainly effective at killing aliens, they also destroy the artifacts we're hoping to recover from the bodies. Just something to consider.

One of the main points of trying to win ground missions is getting tokens.
We don't get tokens if we blow them up with air support. Ebbor has very explicitly stated that that will happen in the above quote.

And yes, they do not have armor, but it will be extremely obvious to them that they will need it. I thought you said we shouldn't only design reactively?
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #347 on: December 24, 2017, 09:16:05 pm »

I don't have anything to say about that. Just wanted to make an observation:

There were no unit promotions.

It is absolutely necessary, for the peace and safety of mankind, that some of earth's dark, dead corners and unplumbed depths be left alone; lest sleeping abnormalities wake to resurgent life, and blasphemously surviving nightmares squirm and splash out of their black lairs to newer and wider conquests.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: December 24, 2017, 09:45:30 pm »

What, you mean besides this part?

The Sectoids remain a bigger problem. Not only do they show a stunning awareness of where our forces are, but they appear to be tougher and stronger too.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: December 24, 2017, 09:58:40 pm »

If WE develop armor, and they develop armor, then we've mostly evened the playing field, and our guys can STILL aim better than theirs (Pistols. What noobs.), which means any gaps in their armor are going to get them killed. And if they're capable of deploying 100% full-body-covering armor, well, I don't even know why we're bothering with the "Arms Race", since this is going to turn into "just steal their tech since we can never beat it anyway".

If Combined Arms can be updated so that the Raven doesn't necessarily have to use missiles, or that it doesn't necessarily have to be the Raven doing the strafing (Just any armed aircraft), we can revise a 20mm Vulcan or 2 into an aircraft and have strafing runs.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: December 24, 2017, 10:00:20 pm »

"just steal their tech since we can never beat it anyway".
I really feel like you should have known it was going to be like this to some degree when you purposely picked the XCOM side of this.

If WE develop armor, and they develop armor, then we've mostly evened the playing field
They have plasma weaponry that can burn through armor, even if better armor makes it less effective.
We have standard kinetics that cannot pierce alien alloys at all.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #351 on: December 24, 2017, 10:01:33 pm »

The Sectoids remain a bigger problem. Not only do they show a stunning awareness of where our forces are, but they appear to be tougher and stronger too.

I was making a neutral observation, unrelated to any proposition.

XCOM usually has a heavy focus on promoting your units. None of ours got "experience" from combat. We just have ambiguous "UP" still, no veterans, unless they show up later in the mission phase.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: December 24, 2017, 10:11:26 pm »

-snip-
They have plasma weaponry that can burn through armor, even if better armor makes it less effective.
-snip-

High-level non-alien ceramics with a Kevlar or similar shock-absorbing covering can make plasma weaponry basically useless, unless the plasma is hot enough to convey over 3100 degrees Fahrenheit into the material. We can force them to create a ballistic capable of smashing the ceramic (And the Kevlar) and killing the person beneath it.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: December 24, 2017, 10:38:19 pm »

I'm adding to my vote to the Railgun Rifle.
XH1 Railgun Rifle (4) Chiefwaffles, Happerry, strongpoint, Blood Librarian
XOMU (1) Blood Librarian

MISSION DESIGN
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #354 on: December 24, 2017, 10:46:12 pm »

We are afraid they will get armor using their space metals, making our current weapons useless.

We don't want to use explosives because we want to have more left to reclaim.

We want more intel on the battlefield, as we are outmatched in this area.

We want to give our ravens more survivability, hopefully with no or little increase to VP.

We have only 1 design phase and 1 revision phase to do it.

Last turn we essentially lost on the ground, and won in the air. Count on the enemy spending some resources in the air.

What would make me most confident going into next round, if I could only have 2 things, is more UP and VP. Just "More". If we down and capture our equipment will be less important.

I say we use this design phase to get more VP, and revise for more UP(3 is pathetic. Really.)

Enhanced Mass Production Lines II
Through leveraging Serial Mass Production and concentration of resources, it will become possible to build dedicated factories able to produce the vehicles that XCOM needs, thus allowing additional aircraft to be deployed across the globe, giving XCOM more flexibility in their ability to respond to alien incursions.
Use: 1 VP token, 1 Alien Alloy Token

« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 11:20:39 pm by roseheart »

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: December 24, 2017, 10:47:49 pm »

So the plan you just proposed is "Do what we did last turn, and pray to goodness that it doesn't have diminishing returns"?

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: December 24, 2017, 10:52:40 pm »

I don't need to point out that this is a terrible plan, do I?

Also, a design for a second base with extensive training facilities and production plants (But limited/no mission-launching capability) would be best, I expect.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #358 on: December 24, 2017, 11:07:17 pm »

The alien materials will help.

We need this.

This is air support for our skyrangers, this IS the mission we are currently supporting(Combined Arms).

XH1 Railgun Rifle (4) Chiefwaffles, Happerry, strongpoint, Blood Librarian
XOMU (1) Blood Librarian
Enhanced Mass Production Lines II (1) roseheart

MISSION DESIGN

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: December 24, 2017, 11:18:18 pm »

I was making a neutral observation, unrelated to any proposition.

XCOM usually has a heavy focus on promoting your units. None of ours got "experience" from combat. We just have ambiguous "UP" still, no veterans, unless they show up later in the mission phase.
This might be XCOM, but this is also an Arms Race. EXP as a thing that happens to individual units was never going to happen the second we just had unit points and vehicle points and all to spend. If we want more advanced classes, we were already told that we'd need to spend actions to make the specialized training programs.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 76