Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 76

Author Topic: Vigilo Confido : XCOM Arms Race  (Read 85581 times)

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Re: Vigilo Confido : XCOM Arms Race
« Reply #165 on: December 18, 2017, 06:26:26 pm »

...no, it doesn't, Madman.

From this site.
The 2kg (4.5lb) Land Warrior helmet provides ballistic protection and carries the main components of the soldier’s communications systems.
The Wireless Local Area Network (WLAN) antenna is installed in the helmet and connects via the hub to the MBITR radio carried in the soldier’s fighting load vest. The range of the radio is 1km within line-of-sight.
The helmet carries a Head-Mounted Display (HMD), which is positioned over the soldier’s dominant eye and provides command and control information and situational awareness.
The display shows the video from the daylight video scope or the infrared thermal weapon scope mounted on the soldier’s weapon. It also shows satellite and topographical maps with friendly positions, updated every 30 seconds.
The soldier can switch screens using the select button on the stock of the rifle. The helmet-mounted display is used for zeroing the daylight video scope, capturing battlefield images and for sending and receiving data.

That's nothing like the TAV.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 18, 2017, 06:38:41 pm »

So the TAV can't be integrated with radios, equipment, etc.? It can't show data from exterior sources on a HUD in overlay style?

The TAV is more specifically designed for our needs, but it's still nothing but a programming upgrade to a Land Warrior system (i.e., to update the display more often, show data from different/more sources, and that's basically it).
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: December 18, 2017, 06:57:17 pm »

But it literally isn't? The TAV is nothing like the Land Warrior system. I feel like you're purposely completely misinterpreting it at this point.

The TAV is more of an augmented reality system. It's transparent and displays 3D objects that have the illusion of being present in the real world.  It doesn't just display camera feeds. It uses numerous sensors to locate and indicate enemies and other relevant entities to the user far before the user would normally see them. Again - nothing like the Land Warrior system. I cannot emphasize this enough. There are nearly no similarities other than them both sharing a very general purpose.

I've edited the TAV to make this clearer and also added some bits about vital sign monitoring.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 18, 2017, 07:00:28 pm »

The most significant thing is the IFF system that it uses.

That is huge.
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: December 18, 2017, 07:04:25 pm »

But you still aren't correct! The LW is a digital warfare system. TAV is a digital warfare system.

The LW is an augmented reality system, that's not a difference. LW projects data from various sources over a soldier's eye, your system projects data over a visor, and mine will project it onto the faceplate (note to self, make system project info onto the faceplate). The TAV is a next-level version of LW: It can pull data from said feeds and aggregate that into another image, but ultimately it's still an augmented reality, digital-warfare system like LW.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: December 18, 2017, 07:08:01 pm »

Quote from: Votebox
BSR Fuel (0):
Enhanced Mass Production Lines (4): Happerry, Blood_Librarian, Stabby, strongpoint
Tactical Awareness Visor (1): Chiefwaffles
Alien Combat Equipment: (1) Madman
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 07:15:55 pm by Strongpoint »
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: December 18, 2017, 07:08:47 pm »

I projected making a face helmet, where the camera feed is fed into a laser matrix (of 1000~) or so lasers that feed into the user's eye and acts as if they had projected the camera feed directly into the eye instead of having a visor, but that's for the powered armor.

BSR Fuel (1): Strongpoint
Enhanced Mass Production Lines (3): Happerry, Stabby, Strongpoint
Tactical Awareness Visor (2): Chiefwaffles, Blood Librarian

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: December 18, 2017, 07:18:42 pm »

I projected making a face helmet, where the camera feed is fed into a laser matrix (of 1000~) or so lasers that feed into the user's eye and acts as if they had projected the camera feed directly into the eye instead of having a visor, but that's for the powered armor.

Tactical Awareness Visor (2): Chiefwaffles, Blood Librarian

And then we roll a 1, and the system occasionally fries our power-armor users' eyes...

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 18, 2017, 07:41:05 pm »

And then we roll a six, and our troopers have 360 degree vision, unable to be surprised at all. Ever.

The reason I didn't propose it now was that we didn't have the technology for it yet.

Besides, all it would take is a revision to fix it, if that were the case, and it would also povide protection against bright flashes and giving the enemy a morale penalty from our cool masks.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: December 18, 2017, 09:44:34 pm »

I was making a joke out of it, it's an interesting proposition (Though a simple HUD is far, FAR more efficient)

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: December 18, 2017, 10:39:47 pm »

Yes, but it wont stop a bullet from entering your eyes. This is assuming we build a slab of metal where a slab of glass/etc owuld be, now one option would be a screen, but we could go the full way and give them a "natural" direct to eye method of information transfer.

Cnidaros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: December 19, 2017, 12:47:25 am »

Tactical Awareness Visor (3): Chiefwaffles, Blood Librarian, Cnidaros

From reading up Land Warrior it doesn't seem to be like the TAV at all. Although both are "battlefield management", I was thinking that the TAV would focus on target recognition/AR, literally highlighting the targets in a red halo to tell the soldier "hey, this fuzzy grey shape over there is a Sectoid sniper, shoot there!". Or even, in urban fighting scenarios, using IR to outline the enemies in a room before the soldier breaches the door.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: December 19, 2017, 04:18:55 am »

I am still no a fan of infantry design because it works only if there will be infantry combat next turn. First we need to ensure that we can initiate ground combat anytime we want, then improve our ground combat.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: December 19, 2017, 09:29:53 am »

I am still no a fan of infantry design because it works only if there will be infantry combat next turn. First we need to ensure that we can initiate ground combat anytime we want, then improve our ground combat.

The Sectoids don't win unless there is ground combat. There will be ground combat next turn, in fact there will be ground combat every turn, until and unless we succeed at shooting down every single UFO ever.

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: December 19, 2017, 09:37:17 am »

Even then, ground combat will be required for clearing out UFO's.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 76