Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 76

Author Topic: Vigilo Confido : XCOM Arms Race  (Read 85626 times)

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Vigilo Confido : XCOM Arms Race
« Reply #630 on: January 07, 2018, 07:41:42 am »

Maybe we should create some sort of scanner to detect heat and potentially other anomalous signals to counter the Cthulhuboys? There was a proposal of a similar kind before and perhaps it is more viable now.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: January 07, 2018, 08:55:36 am »

I am more worried about their continuing advantage in the air

Landslide missile (1 Alien Equipment Token, 1 Alien Nav Computer token)
Landslide missile is a new air to air missile matching Avalanche in size. It is very different to its predecessor. Its electronics are like nothing that was seen before; enhanced with alien computer technology with enhanced anti-ECM measures. What makes the missile even more strange is its unconventional warhead. It is based on enemy plasma weaponry. Shortly before reaching the target Landslide fires a single plasma blob at point blank range. Unlike alien version our crude plasma gun is one shot weapon that causes missiles to explode.

Yes, this is an aa weapon that tries to get some experience in plasma weaponry. May be better without an exotic warhead

RX-drone, (1 Alien Nav Computer token, 1 Alien Equipment Token)
RX drone is a small unmanned jet build around a railgun similar to Phoenix gun pod but integrated. It is is truly unmanned because it is controlled by a combat AI. This AI is limited in its possibilities. It doesn't know how to engage land targets. Its cooperation with allied X-COM craft is limited to friend or foe recognition. It can't use (or even carry) any additional weapon. But it can detect unique signature of enemy vessels and it can fire more accurately than any human pilot. On board computer of the drone is unlike any other produced by humanity because it is heavily influenced by alien electronics. RX-drone is built to at least match Raven's speed and operational range.

This gives us a new fighter but keeps Raven usable in a role of more versatile fighter. Yes, I still dislike direct replacements. It would look far more promising if we captured their scout drones... but no such luck.

We can also go for a tank (in X-COM meaning of the word), ground to air missile, specialized infantry unit, body armor (but no new alloys :( ), grenades
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 02:23:26 pm by Strongpoint »
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: January 07, 2018, 11:34:56 am »

Design: Lightning Interceptor (1 Alien Equipment; 1 Alien Nav Computer)
The Lightning is the next generation interceptor. We've observed and played with alien gravity-based propulsion before, but we knew we couldn't implement it in our aircraft due to insufficient computer systems. That is no longer a limiting factor for us, with the new alien technology to work off of.

The Lightning entirely foregoes missiles in favor of railguns. It is equipped with three Phoenix pods. Its alien-based navigation system allows the pilot to pull of stunning maneuvers with remarkably little training, gracefully weaving in the air like no earth-based aircraft could ever hope to accomplish. Its gravthrusters are something extraordinary - like the alien craft, it can go in any direction at amazing speeds, and we've still included some propulsion from the Raven in order to guarantee a better speed than any known alien spacecraft. It's extremely agile, naturally.
Finally, the nav computer also handles targetting. A gravity-based sensor suite on the Lightning allows it to easily ignore any targetting countermeasures, and combined with the extreme agility/speed of the Lightning, it should be extraordinarily easy to get positive hits with the Phoenix gunpods.

The Lightning has basic alien alloy armoring, but its main measure of defense should be its agility.

Design: Tactical Awareness Visor (Alien Nav Computer)
Designed to be able to be equipped by itself or embedded in any helmet, the TAV is an Augmented Reality HUD for our troops. The TAV is a transparent visor that displays images on itself with the illusion of them being physical objects in the real world - "augmented reality".

Using numerous small cameras - such as infrared, visible, and the like - combined with a small integrated computer, the TAV can help our operatives' awareness in the field. The main use is target recognition. Through heat, shape, sound, and more interesting techniques like looking for the pulses of living beings, the TAV can very reliable detect anything it judges as a living or relevant entity. These entities are highlighted based on familiarity - fellow operatives get green (no rookies shooting other rookies), humans get blue, unknowns get yellow, and confirmed threats get red. In addition to very easy recognizing of targets, the varied cameras ensure that it works regardless of visibility - NO MORE NIGHT MISSIONS the aliens can't hide in the dark. The highlighting also works behind walls and other obstructions in case something like the sound sensor picks up movement out of sight. There are also indicators if any movement/beings are detected behind/to the side of the wearer.

This iteration of the TAV has something different - the implementation of tech originating from the alien navigation computer. It turns out the aliens have some pretty advanced computing systems; especially with target recognition. By using human-alien computing in the TAV, we can do an impressive array of things. The enhanced targeting should do wonders, immediately recognizing any potential targets. Immediate identification of weakpoints. Predictive targeting ("the alien is likely going to be here by the time you press the trigger"). Battlefield analysis of any targets or UFOs or anything. Detecting disguised aliens. Easy medical analysis of any being. And much more.

It also has other functions deemed relevant like current mission objective, the status of any networked devices (like "ammo in gun"), radio status, and anything else deemed relevant. But the main feature is target recognition and highlighting, which should greatly help in any case; especially against a stealthy and unknown foe.
While not necessary for operation, the TAVs can share data with each other - so if your TAV-equipped squadmate can see something, you can see it (highlighted) too. The TAV also displays the vital signs of allies based on their own vital sensors and the estimated condition of aliens based on their pulse.

TL;DR: An augmented reality HUD that highlights targets+allies in different colors using a large variety of sensors and has some other miscellaneous functions. Open for improvement in the future too.
((References: MS HoloLens - A commercial - and very cheap relative to us - AR device; Automated Target Recognition - just general info on target recognition stuff; Kinect - Not AR, but is also commercial, "reliably" recognizes humans, can sense pulses through the skin, skeletal recognition, and more all while being a fraction of the price of even the HoloLens; and more. The ideas of "target recognition" and "augmented reality HUD" are already fairly present in modern culture and civilian+military tech.))

Design
Landslide Missile (0):
RX-Drone (0):
Lightning Interceptor (1): Chiefwaffles
Tactical Awareness Visor (0):

Also, as a note, we should probably consider revising our ground sensors for this revision. We can either use the Alien Nav Computer token or just use experience from whatever we spent the token on (which was confirmed a while ago by Ebbor to be completely viable). Basically make our sensors detect alien communications/gravity signatures. It makes sure the aliens don't pull off stealth, but more importantly, lets us choose when to engage - we get advantages in air combat if our interceptors engage the aliens when they're in certain locations.
So if we see them as soon as they enter the atmosphere (or perhaps earlier) then we get to choose where our interceptors engage them.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 11:37:37 am by Chiefwaffles »
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: January 07, 2018, 11:57:07 am »

Partly anti-grav fighter looks quite ambitious for me even with tokens. As I said earlier I dislike designing direct replacement of Raven. There are other ways to buff our airforce that will complement not replace Ravens. Neither I am a fan of throwing away an option of missiles.

HUD is nice to have but I am more worried about the skies.

Idea of going for better sensors looks like one that comes out of nowhere... I don't understand what in our current situation justifies this move. There are no indication that they are going for stealthy fighters. They are going for winning the skies not for hiding from us.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: January 07, 2018, 12:01:06 pm »

Well, first, you are completely wrong about direct replacements.
"Guys! I know the Mosin-Nagant isn't that useful in the Iraq war, but we shouldn't do direct replacements! There are other ways to buff our guns that will complement not replace the Mosin-Nagant!"

Second, I already made it clear that pre-emptively eliminating stealth is a bonus of upgraded sensors. Not the purpose.
Upgraded sensors means we will be able to choose where we engage them. It's already been established that we can get sizeable advantages based on where our aircraft engage theirs - like how we get a bonus to our side if we fight them when they're still entering the atmosphere. Upgraded sensors allows us to do this nearly all the time.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 12:09:55 pm by Chiefwaffles »
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: January 07, 2018, 12:10:58 pm »

Guys! I know the Mosin-Nagant isn't that useful in the Vietnam war, but we shouldn't do direct replacements! There are other ways to buff our guns that will complement not replace the Mosin-Nagant!"
Argument has no sense because real world armies aren't limited by one design per turn. It is more like: We have a bolt action rifle and no machinegun at all. We can get either new machinegun or semi-automatic rifle. What we should we do?

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: January 07, 2018, 12:34:50 pm »

The thing below maaaay be little too ambitious.

Goliath (2 Alien Equipment; 1 Alien Nav Computer)
Goliath is a new combat aircraft. It is a large, powered by six jet engines supersonic aircraft around the size of a large passenger jet. It has a crew of 12. It comes with a large number of innovative features;
1) Large caliber integrated railgun that goes through the whole aircraft from tail to nose. It is slightly traversable allowing more precison
2) Underfuselage weapon mount and 4 turrets that can be equipped with different weapons, from standard auto-cannons to Phoenix pods, to future weapons
3) An experimental anti-grav unit. This is based on studied alien tech. There are not nearly as advanced as alien version and has very limited power, its main purpose is to add a tiny bit of manuevrability to a large aircraft and help it to stay in air with a severe damage to aerodynamic elements or
4) Armor that come as a result of testing of captured plasma weapons. Key opponents of aircraft, like pilot cabin are protected by it
5) Computer system inspired by alien design that aids crew in aiming turrets\main railgun allowing to engage enemy at long range

I think version without anti-grav, just a flying railgun battery with computer assisted aiming , may be more practical.

I also really want to use Unit Experience token for a revision. This is why I am fine with using all other other tokens in the design.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 01:09:26 pm by Strongpoint »

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: January 07, 2018, 01:31:15 pm »

Armagedden Intercepter (1 Alien Equipment, 1 Alien Nav Computer)

Simply put, the Armagedden is designed for the interception of alien aircraft and dealing with their landers.

For one, the propulsion and fuel have been modified to exclusively use "low"-yield Elerium (Which is still far more energy dense then jet fuel.), This modified fuel mix allows a higher flight ceiling, acceleration, and maximum speed, along with a higher tonnage increase without compromising its superior maneuverability.

In addition to its 6 Missile mountings, it has two "slots" for integrated weapons, one is built into the nose, and the other is a turret on the bottom o its fuselage, slightly below the center of mass. The center-mounted railgun is designed for being even more dangerous than the Phoenix, able to hopefully pierce enemy aircraft with better reliability than the phoenix Pod. The second integrated weapon is a railgun "turret". designed to either be used by the gunnery control pilot, the railgun is connected to a comparatively vast computer system that allows the weapon to make precision shots against both tailing enemy aircraft or ground targets with merciless precision. This weapon has 360 rotation and can target pursuing UFO's as long as its "underneath" the aircraft.

Inside the aircraft's, the fuselage is a rack designed to accept downward facing missile/bomb type weapons, either for quickly ejecting out from the bottom of the craft and pursuing towards the enemy or heading towards a ground designated target. As design goals have not been put towards making any type of weapon like this, the B-Team has been tasked with finding either an acceptable "import" from a nation or making something that might actually work. The bomb type munitions are specifically "smart" ones, that could be steered by the gunnery officer while the ship is in flight.

In addition to its weapons, the craft is absurdly durable.  From the ground up, it has been built with either alien materials or traditional materials that have shown the most resistance to enemy weapons. The crafts unique structural composition in addition to the surgical procedures committed to the pilot has resulted in a craft and pilot able to handle High G maneuvers, acceleration, and other detrimental effects.

Both pilots have been equipped with several implants designed to increase their survivability and increase the speed at which they can interact with aircraft systems, this is mostly based upon (and borrows parts form) Sectoid implants. With the pilots able to interact with the aircraft solely by their minds and the Man-Machine Interface, the physical controls are merely there to transition the pilot while they are training to use the aircraft and as a back up if the communication between aircraft and pilot fails.

In short, the craft has a dozen advantages over the Raven.
  • Elerium propulsion
  • Integrated weaponry- Turret and nose mounted
  • Downward facing missile rack
  • Superior construction and structure
  • Augmented Pilots and the capability to use them

Armageddon (1):Blood_librarian
Goliath (1): Strongpoint
Landslide Missile (0):
RX-Drone (0):
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 08:21:23 am by Blood_Librarian »
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: January 07, 2018, 01:42:54 pm »

First, I can assign my votes myself. If I propose something it is often nothing but something to discuss. Do not assume that it is my vote.

Armagedden is... difficult. Impressively difficult. Adding as much stuff as you can thin off is NOT the best way to play arms games. You are asking way, way too much. You have a very complex aircraft and then... add cybernetics when he have zero experience in this. This is something that is a design (and not an easy one) alone.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: January 07, 2018, 02:33:47 pm »

10ebbor10
BTW, what we got as our trophies? Remains of their light UFO(nav computer token + Sectoid pistols (alien equipment token) + ???

Did we get grenades like ones they used in Brazil? Did we get any other relatively intact parts of the crashed UFO?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: January 07, 2018, 02:45:58 pm »

Plasma pistols, grenades and a navigation system.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: January 07, 2018, 02:51:08 pm »

Ebbor, what kind of token would antigrav propulsion fall under, or have we not seen that one yet?

And Armageddon sounds nice but too difficult. It adds a ton of different features, and the implanted pilots is just out of left field and seems both hard and largely unrelated. Implanting anyone feels like it'd be its own design.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: January 07, 2018, 03:09:28 pm »

You haven't seen the corresponding token yet.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: January 07, 2018, 03:26:14 pm »

Two more ideas:

Vengeance: (2 Alien Equipment; 1 Alien Nav Computer)
Vengeance is a ground to air missile unlike any other created by humanity. It's hull is made from Plasma resisting materials (derived from intensive testing of captured plasma pistols) giving automatic systems enough time to detonate its nuclear warhead as close to the target as possible. It's rocket engine is boosted by an explosive force of small amounts of explosive Elerium. It's electronic package is reliable, protected against enemy interference and component's derived from Alien computers. Such missile system is intended to be placed on X-Com bases but council members are requested to provide sites for such launchers outside X-Com bases.

It is a quite brute force approach that uses all three tokens.

Council member support troops (unit experience token)
Sometimes X-COM needs. Veterans of NOTSOFTER with combat experience are dispatched to armed forces of council members to train their own anti-alien teams that are meant to be used as support teams for X-COM. NOTSOFTER veterans teach soldiers how to use regular human weaponry against more advanced alien technology and how to provide support to better armed NOTSOFTER unit. (Goal is better Inter Agency Cooperation teams with higher combat capabilities and ability to deliver them to any country and lover (fractional) unit cost)

Cnidaros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: January 07, 2018, 07:20:25 pm »

Armageddon (1):Blood_librarian
Goliath (0):
Landslide Missile (1): Cnidaros
RX-Drone (0):
Vengeance (0):
Council member support troops (0):

I think the Lightning is too ambitious, as ever. We haven't even done anti-grav in any of our designs, despite what the fluff says, yet the Lightning wants to do that along with gravity-based sensors, and alien alloy armouring when we haven't even got soldier armour yet. Also, I would prefer to wait for the corresponding antigrav token.

Armageddon is literally the F-35 of designs.

Strongpoint, I disagree with you about direct replacements being bad. That would be the case in other Arms Races, but this one has an explicit points-cost system. The RX-Drone will cost points, and be mutually exclusive (and thus be a replacement) to some degree with Ravens. Thus, it should be a better air-combatant per point than the Raven, or it's not worth designing.

I would be open to doing council member support troops, but as a revision.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 76