Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 76

Author Topic: Vigilo Confido : XCOM Arms Race  (Read 85633 times)

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vigilo Confido : XCOM Arms Race
« Reply #615 on: January 04, 2018, 03:16:29 pm »

Let’s not tie the resource point to operation plans.
Lets tie them because they directly influence plans. You can do different things with +1UP, 1VP or +1EP.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: January 04, 2018, 10:11:06 pm »

My personal take is that Operation Blackwater is probably going to be the best choice. We almost won on land last time with basically no damage done to their UFOs, and this time they seem to have less troops (last time they had one fighter and multiple lander UFOs, this time they have 1 lander and more then one fighter) so they'll have less troops and with the railguns we should have decent odds of doing at least some damage in the air even if we don't win the air battle. And now we'll have twice the troops we had last time ourselves just as they have less troops plus the air support.

On the other hand, if we really really want to make sure we win on the ground, Operation Crossroad is probably the way to go with its third Skyranger.

Also, we should really try to make a mission type that is basically 'wait for most of them to land, and then gang up on their air cover without being distracted by the landed stuff so we can take the fighters on without having to worry about the other UFOs, and can then nail the other ones when they take off if they try to run' sometime.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: January 05, 2018, 08:32:31 am »

Slightly updated
Quote from: Diary of a pilot

I was told that I'll be transferred to some top-secret international unit. Darn. I hoped to be assigned to the new nuclear carrier.
I arrived to the place. They say they are... special unit created for fighting aliens. They looked way too serious to assume that this is some kind of a joke
I am going for a test flight tomorrow. I will be the first to fly some new prototype of an "aircraft unlike no others". I don't believe they have anything better than American Airforce
I was wrong. I was so wrong. This bird... Raven. It is a masterpiece. I couldn't even imagine an aircraft like this.
So... It starts....
I returned from my first mission. That sucker entered our atmosphere above South Africa and didn't even know what killed him. I was so happy to return to the base with a success only to learn that Mitchell didn't come back. He was evaporated by a plasma shot. Furthermore I was told that land mission in Nigeria was a failure. Darn!
Another one! Now in Japan. I lead a wing of two.
My wingman did a great job and shot down their fighter with one well placed shot. I scored my second victory by ending the misery of a bandit that tried to take off fleeing from our not soft guys.
We are doing some serious training for ground support. I am tired to hear "Be careful. We need examples of enemy tech" Tired! Eggheads should know that this is a war. Useless idiots.
I take my words back. They are not useless. That SMART missile is a nice toy. How they develop weapon systems that quickly?
Another mission. Those alien cowards now move in groups
It was a disaster.  That thing... That maneuver... How!? Poor Ivan had no chance. Miguel went second after their landers joined the fight. I managed to eject just after I unloaded all my missiles. I was sure that I'll take out at least one of them... but no.
I am ordered to stay in South America. They want to build an airfield here. I fail to understand why waste effort and not use one of many airfields that local airforces use. Hey, maybe we could even get some of their birds to help. I would feel far safer with a dozen or two of good old F-16s covering my ass. But my bosses are obsessed with secrecy.
Looks like they changed their plan and there will be no new base in Argentina. They are sending a whole Skyranger just to pick my up.
Skyranger is now armed with a railgun gunpod. It looks like a very interesting thing. Mike (Pilot of the Skyranger) said that those will be installed on new Ravens.
Of course I am the one to test the first Raven with new armament. I am not sure that I am comfortable with losing half of my missiles. Holes it leaves in concrete are impressive but strafing is a one thing, hitting those bastards in the air is another.
So. New ones detected. There are two of their "fighters" now. God save us all. It is gonna be hard. This time we must catch them by surprise, they don't expect new weapon
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 01:26:46 pm by Strongpoint »
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: January 05, 2018, 09:46:05 am »

ptw
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: January 05, 2018, 10:30:52 am »

Quote from: Vote Box
Cleansing the Path (1): Blood_Librarian
Crossroads (1) strongpoint

I think Crossroads is better because EP point is more viable long term. Maybe we can consider sending unarmed skyrangers and give 3rd XH-2 to Notsoft but I think giving Skyranger some way to shoot back is preferable. Also, it gives some ground attack to them.

Cleansing the path is more or less the same but without use of additional EP

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: January 05, 2018, 06:49:35 pm »

Crossroads (2): strongpoint, Chiefwaffles
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: January 05, 2018, 07:38:26 pm »

Resource Point
EP (4): Chiefwaffles, Blood_Librarian, Happerry, SaberToothTiger
UP (0):
VP (0):

Crossroads (3): strongpoint, Chiefwaffles, SaberToothTiger
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 07:49:17 pm by SaberToothTiger »
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: January 05, 2018, 07:44:34 pm »

SaberToothTiger
Can I ask why you don't want to use EP this turn?

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: January 05, 2018, 07:48:57 pm »

It might be a bit awkward, but I misread the plan. I am summarily changing my vote to Crossroads.

Cnidaros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: January 06, 2018, 12:30:24 am »

Blackwater (1): Cnidaros

I acknowledge that VP is less useful long term, but I don't like the odds of two of our fighters against two of theirs, even with gun pods.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: January 06, 2018, 02:38:54 am »

Blackwater (1): Cnidaros

I acknowledge that VP is less useful long term, but I don't like the odds of two of our fighters against two of theirs, even with gun pods.
I expect to lose the air in both cases. Question is how many of our guys will be able to land. And E point is just so much more necessary now. We'll have to spend 1EP to equip aircrafts every single turn.

Thanatos Russ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: January 06, 2018, 04:25:06 am »

Surely you would want to have as many Equipment Points as possible, since the interceptors need at least one EP for their railguns, and your 3 NS units need their own rail guns too.

As long as you get on land this should be a cinch. And then you get MORE shinies of whom can beget more shinies...

Like, your best shit comes from the single proper victory.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: January 07, 2018, 04:04:32 am »

Battle

Quote from:  Bogey 011, 012,01
Craft(s): 1 Alien Lander, 2*Alien Fighter
Destination: Australia

XCOM arrives in force just as Small UFO is dropping down towards the city. With no interest whatsoever in stealth or subtelity, the UFO sets down in the central plaza. High above, our two Ravens pounce upon the enemy UFO's. Both pilots opt to fire their entire (reduced) missile payload immediately, sending twelve missiles towards the enemy. Almost immediately, the enemy activates some sort of ECM protocol, and most missiles go wild. Only 2 hit targets, and they appear to inflict limited damage.

Missiles depleted, the Ravens close in aggressively. The railgun pods underneath the wings fire, sending tungsten slugs tearing through the attacking UFO's. The UFO's shudder under the assault but remain in the air. The ravens are less lucky. Plasma fire engulfs the 2 planes, and they desintegrate as they crash down to the Earth.

On the ground, XCOM is deploying in force, 3 Skyrangers dropping of troops through the city. With the enemy still distracted, they take up overwatch positions in the sky. Plasma fire from the landing light UFO tears one Skyranger from the sky, before the other two return fire with their Phoenix pods.

With 2 Skyrangers overhead, and a full 3 human squads on the move, the Sectoids stand little chance. One by one they're picked of at range, too far away to use their grenades or the gift. Railgun slugs pierce through or blow up cover until none remain. But the sectoids did not come alone. A new alien makes it's present felt. Large, man-shaped octopuses, camouflaged as ordinary objects or as well dressed humans, suddenly tear through the XCOM squads. Two entire squads get torn limb from limb before the last remaining members and the overwatching Skyrangers manage to put them down.

Mission Succesfull : 2 Alien Equipment Token, 1 Alien Nav Computer token, 1 Unit experience Token

Spoiler: Technology (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: PANIC METER (click to show/hide)

Design Phase

Challenge reward: Later

Turn 5

AABBCCDD
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 04:49:24 am by 10ebbor10 »

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: January 07, 2018, 05:03:22 am »

10ebbor10 Did they choose to not use their drones? There are none in the battle report.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: January 07, 2018, 05:37:48 am »

There were none in the battle. They did have twice as many sectoids as usual, and the camouflaged murderoctopusses.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 76