Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 76

Author Topic: Vigilo Confido : XCOM Arms Race  (Read 85524 times)

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
Re: Vigilo Confido : XCOM Arms Race
« Reply #60 on: December 13, 2017, 09:15:14 pm »

Note 2 : To be honest, I didn't really know what to make of this design. Are you creating a tiny artificial island as a way of concealing an access shaft to an underwater base, or are you digging an underground base into an island. I don't know.
This is an Arms Race game, not pictionary.
I think the island/volcano(?) theme is enough.

The rest can be typical digging XCOM:EU.

Bermuda Triangle, US
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 09:26:40 pm by roseheart »
It is absolutely necessary, for the peace and safety of mankind, that some of earth's dark, dead corners and unplumbed depths be left alone; lest sleeping abnormalities wake to resurgent life, and blasphemously surviving nightmares squirm and splash out of their black lairs to newer and wider conquests.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 14, 2017, 12:24:59 am »

So considering it's Enemy Unknown and my much better idea didn't get through, we really still need some form of intelligence.

Revision: Aerial Reconnaissance
Our important funding nations should have a hearty stockpile of military drones. "Drones" as in those remote-controlled airplanes with extensive cameras and sometimes weapons. Not the quadrocoptors.

With these precautions in place, we can ask the nearest nation with an available drone (without weapons, of course) to send one to patrol over the area and provide HQ with a constant camera feed of the site. No special effort required by us - just asking them and uplinking the feed. Then we can use the feed to advise our soldiers about potential threats. We'll always have an eye in the sky.

Quote from: Boxvote
REVISION
Breacher Training (0):
Aerial Reconnaissance (1): Chiefwaffles

BASE LOCATION
Aegean Islands (1): ☼Another☼
Bermuda Triangle, US (1): roseheart
Mid-Atlantic (1): Chiefwaffles

And regarding base location, the Bermuda Triangle limits us to basically just the Americas and Aegean Islands to Europe and Africa. I think we should just go with a nice "middle atlantic" to give us access to the Americas, Europe, and Africa. Though while I don't think range is a huge issue (Skyranger), we should still maximize our access to the world.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 14, 2017, 09:16:30 am »

Note : Location of base unspecified : please resolve.

Note 2 : To be honest, I didn't really know what to make of this design. Are you creating a tiny artificial island as a way of concealing an access shaft to an underwater base, or are you digging an underground base into an island. I don't know.
+1 to Bermuda Triangle.

We're using an actual island as an access shaft to an underground underwater(a base dug under the seafloor) base.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #63 on: December 14, 2017, 09:19:02 am »

We're using an actual island as an access shaft to an underground underwater(a base dug under the seafloor) base.
Exactly.
It is absolutely necessary, for the peace and safety of mankind, that some of earth's dark, dead corners and unplumbed depths be left alone; lest sleeping abnormalities wake to resurgent life, and blasphemously surviving nightmares squirm and splash out of their black lairs to newer and wider conquests.

Cnidaros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 14, 2017, 09:57:35 am »

REVISION
Breacher Training (0):
Aerial Reconnaissance (2): Chiefwaffles, Cnidaros

BASE LOCATION
Aegean Islands (2): ☼Another☼, Cnidaros
Bermuda Triangle, US (2): roseheart, FallacyOfUrist

Going with the Aegean islands because I always put my base in the Alps or Crete in the original X-COM. The Americas can just wait for us to get round to digging a base there sometime.

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 14, 2017, 11:32:12 am »

REVISION
Breacher Training (0):
Aerial Reconnaissance (2): Chiefwaffles, Cnidaros

BASE LOCATION
Aegean Islands (3): ☼Another☼, Cnidaros, Khan Boyzitbig

Going with the Aegean islands because I always put my base in the Alps or Crete in the original X-COM. The Americas can just wait for us to get round to digging a base there sometime.

Should be possible to cover a bit of India from there too.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 14, 2017, 11:39:39 am »

REVISION
Breacher Training (0):
Aerial Reconnaissance (3): Chiefwaffles, Cnidaros, Blood_Librarian

BASE LOCATION
Aegean Islands (3): ☼Another☼, Cnidaros, Khan Boyzitbig
Mid-Atlantic (2): Chiefwaffles, Blood_Librarian
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #67 on: December 14, 2017, 12:53:23 pm »

REVISION
Breacher Training (0):
Aerial Reconnaissance (4): Chiefwaffles, Cnidaros, Blood_Librarian, roseheart

BASE LOCATION
Aegean Islands, France, Europe (3): ☼Another☼, Cnidaros, Khan Boyzitbig
Bermuda Triangle, United States, North America (2): roseheart, FallacyOfUrist
Mid-Atlantic, Nigeria, Africa (2): Chiefwaffles, Blood_Librarian

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 14, 2017, 01:25:24 pm »

Um, yeah, this is going to be interesting.

So, I think we SHOULD revise our training program to, well, match original specifications, because we have a choice of sending in the rookiest rookies that ever got used as meatshields, or we can send in a bunch of hardened killers with modern weaponry and devices.

NOTSOFT Enhanced Retention (NOTSOFTER)
By borrowing a few SAS, SEAL, and yes, even a couple Spetsnaz trainers, we hope to bring our program up to its original specifications. The apparent focus on brutality is to be discarded for a focus on efficiency and training value. Instead of raw brutality, we will have hard training regimens with a purpose. Also, there's no reason for permanent injuries in a reasonable training regimen. Whatever weird thing is causing those, we got rid of it. Strained muscles and bruises are to be expected, even broken bones if, for example, a soldier screws up a wall-climb exercise. However, it should not be so traumatic as to permanently debilitate them, that's just ridiculous.

We can send in noobs or we can send in the SAS, I definitely know which group of guys I'm using for my small-team mission(s).

REVISION
Breacher Training (0):
NOTSOFTER (1): Madman

BASE LOCATION
Mid-Atlantic, Nigeria, Africa (3): Chiefwaffles, Blood_Librarian, Madman
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #69 on: December 14, 2017, 01:33:53 pm »

+1

But I keep thinking all caps propositions are a category..

REVISION
Breacher Training (0):
N.O.T.S.O.F.T.E.R. (2): Madman, roseheart

BASE LOCATION
Mid-Atlantic, Nigeria, Africa (3): Chiefwaffles, Blood_Librarian, Madman

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 14, 2017, 01:35:54 pm »

It's just acronyms :P

The more bureaucratic/government-related the AR, the more acronyms we come up with for designs.

Also, you're now voting for TWO things in the same category, which you can't do. You need to vote either for Aerial Reconnaissance or NOTSOFTER.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #71 on: December 14, 2017, 01:37:41 pm »

Is that true GM?

Can I only vote for one project? I would think that just whichever project has the most votes wins If it it's not allocated to all voted projects.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 14, 2017, 01:40:05 pm »

The reason you can't is because it makes no logical sense---you're voting for both projects, and thus you're not actually voting for either of them, your vote is meaningless, it just makes the votebox larger.

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 14, 2017, 02:04:20 pm »

If we're gonna do a special training program, we should actually specialize them into castes for war.

You know, heavies, shooters, hackers, etc.
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 14, 2017, 02:06:56 pm »

Not yet. First we ought to nail down "Everybody's good enough at everything, as well as being amazing at standard soldier things".

THEN we can say "Oh this guy's now a specialized medic, this guy is the machinegunner, that guy is marksman (An "assault" class is garbage, you either pin the enemy down or you hit them precisely and kill them, you don't try to do both), that guy is the sniper, look there's the combat engineer/tank-wrecker.

But again, let's first see how the enemy is going to fight, then we'll worry about the organization of classes best suited to countering that.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 76