Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 76

Author Topic: Vigilo Confido : XCOM Arms Race  (Read 85561 times)

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
Re: Vigilo Confido : XCOM Arms Race
« Reply #330 on: December 24, 2017, 05:28:10 pm »

DESIGN
XenoCeramics(1): Blood_Librarian
Jackdaw(0):
ACE(1): Madman
XPR-1 Plasma Rifle(0):
Mosquito Combat Drone(3): Cnidaros,  roseheart, Stabby
X-R-Drone (1): Strongpoint,
XH1 Laser Rifle (1): Chiefwaffles

MISSION DESIGN
Combined Arms(3): Cnidaros, Strongpoint, roseheart
It is absolutely necessary, for the peace and safety of mankind, that some of earth's dark, dead corners and unplumbed depths be left alone; lest sleeping abnormalities wake to resurgent life, and blasphemously surviving nightmares squirm and splash out of their black lairs to newer and wider conquests.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: December 24, 2017, 05:30:38 pm »

What about this one?
Design: XH1 Railgun Rifle (Alien Equipment Token)
The XH1 Railgun Rifle, being based off of the advanced power supplies we don't know much about yet (but enough to use), is a miniaturization of modern railgun technology. The reverse engineering of alien equipment is the final change we needed for this to happen.

It's semi-automatic and is intended to be used by marksmen and snipers - we've decided to not bother trying to implement an automatic firing mechanism or decrease the length of the barrel even further in order to keep difficulty down.

Jackdaw(0):
XPR-1 Plasma Rifle(0):
XH1 Laser Rifle (1): Chiefwaffles
XH1 Railgun Rifle (1): Chiefwaffles

MISSION DESIGN
Combined Arms (4): Cnidaros, Strongpoint, Chiefwaffles, roseheart

Edit: I'd like to re-emphasize that if the aliens upgrade their armor, our soldiers will become useless. What's the point of having skilled ground soldiers if they literally can't do damage to the enemy?
EDIT2: And again, it's a really bad idea to let your enemies armor go to the point where you need really lucky shots or explosives to even hurt them.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 05:33:48 pm by Chiefwaffles »
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: December 24, 2017, 05:33:34 pm »

They are probably gonna upgrade there weapons and thena rmor before anything. Right now we need to get our soldiers to actually survive fighting befor anything else. I'dve preferred we either designed/revised a set of armor before anything else, but focussing on aircraft is alright.
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: December 24, 2017, 05:34:57 pm »

Ebbor straight up told us that we're only winning because they don't have armor. Do you think he didn't tell them that as well? They're almost definitely going to upgrade their armor. I'd prefer if our ground forces can actually hurt the enemy before we branch out into other things.

And reminder that any new weapons can also be applied to our airforce.
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: December 24, 2017, 05:38:18 pm »

I'd rather not go straight into laser or energy weapons first though, if anything, I would go for larger chemical weapons that use a basic exoskeleton to prevent bone breakage, or anything more creative then "ding dong laser gun."
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: December 24, 2017, 05:39:55 pm »

I literally just made a design for a railgun.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #336 on: December 24, 2017, 05:42:13 pm »

Our avalanche missiles are combat effective.

The ravens need either evasion or protection.

Combined Arms should help with the ground issue. So improving our battlefield awareness, and catching up with the enemy, is our priority.

Also I like giving them a mechanical enemy to complicate their problems.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 06:04:08 pm by roseheart »
It is absolutely necessary, for the peace and safety of mankind, that some of earth's dark, dead corners and unplumbed depths be left alone; lest sleeping abnormalities wake to resurgent life, and blasphemously surviving nightmares squirm and splash out of their black lairs to newer and wider conquests.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: December 24, 2017, 05:51:20 pm »

Edit: I'd like to re-emphasize that if the aliens upgrade their armor, our soldiers will become useless.
Hey! I am usually the one who is overly worried about worst case scenarios. Don't take my job! :D

I think you are overestimating possible effect of their possible armor. We may have harder time but definitely not combats we can't win at all.

If we go combined arms for the mission, I want the drone + revise modern armor with alien alloys.

If we go for a railgun sniper rifle, then I really want a different mission. Something like this:

Surround and siege
Instead of trying to storm enemy in close quarters, X-Com operatives land nearby, surround the enemy and starting eliminating them from a safe distance using mortars, high caliber machineguns, sniper rifles. This continues till aliens decide to get back in their UFO and retreat. Then they are shot down by air force and\or (potential at this point) manpads in the hands of X-COM operatives.

Look. They have pistols and melee drones. Why the hell we need to go close? If they want to go close, let them advance. We may need more long range equipment to make it really effective, but I think it can work, thoughts?

In any case I think designs should be linked. IMO, If we go for combined arms we need something that directly helps that. If we go for Mosquito we need a capture alien alive mission (IMO, too early for this). If we go for a sniper rail gun, we go for the one above, if we go armor, we should go for something that benefits from armor.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: December 24, 2017, 06:06:34 pm »

Jackdaw(0):
XPR-1 Plasma Rifle(0):
XH1 Laser Rifle (2): Chiefwaffles, Happerry
XH1 Railgun Rifle (2): Chiefwaffles, Happerry

MISSION DESIGN

We're already having enough trouble winning that if they roll out Alloy Armor of their own, we'll end up in big trouble if we don't have a firepower upgrade. Meanwhile the Mosquito is close to useless because it is about capturing the other guy when we have no way to hold them after capturing them, and also will be just as ineffective when they do that armor upgrade the GM was hinting at. It's also assuming that a quadcopter will be better then an alien drone which can use fancy alien engines to run silently instead of being as noisy as a helicopter, which is the kind of thing you need for what is basically a melee range drone.

Edit - Also, if we want to use the tokens we got, we should probably add that to the vote.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 06:08:40 pm by Happerry »
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #339 on: December 24, 2017, 06:08:24 pm »

Going back to ACE. XenoCeramics would probably translate better into a Raven revision next phase, but this one should too.

ACE(2): Madman, roseheart
Mosquito Combat Drone(2): Cnidaros, Stabby
XH1 Railgun Rifle (2): Chiefwaffles, Happerry

MISSION DESIGN
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 06:17:13 pm by roseheart »

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: December 24, 2017, 06:11:16 pm »

While I like the concept of Mosquito it has DEADLY flaws. Darts and tazers will do nothing against enemy in full suit armor, SOMETHING THEY WILL DO SOONER OR LATER

"Mosquito" Combat Drone(fixed): (using Alien Equipment Tokens)
A medium sized quadcopter connected by satellite uplink to its controllers back at base or directly controlled by an operative in a nearby Skyranger. Drone has a single mount for a weapon that can be used for one of the following: machinegun, powerful tazer, HEAT rocket launcher, or any potential weapons where necessary, downed alien scout drones are disassembled for inspiration as to how to fit all these systems together in a reasonably small drone. In combat, the drones are primarily intended to support our troopers.

Tranquilizers are very doubtful investment. We know big nothing about their biology. And we got no alien biology token so I assume we got little from studying. Alien alloys is a very useful token for future revision and armoring the drone is useless, it won't survive plasma shot in any case.

But I am going to vote for a railgun. It opens good technologies ahead

XPR-1 Plasma Rifle(0):
X-R-Drone (0):
XH1 Railgun Rifle (3): Chiefwaffles, Happerry, strongpoint

MISSION DESIGN
Combined Arms (3): Cnidaros, Chiefwaffles, roseheart
Surround and siege (1) strongpoint
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #341 on: December 24, 2017, 06:16:36 pm »

Tranquilizers are very doubtful investment. We know big nothing about their biology. And we got no alien biology token so I assume we got little from studying.
That's a good point.

As far as a rifle goes, Stirk's grenade rifles would likely get a design bonus(cus, y'know, they are real).
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 06:19:47 pm by roseheart »

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: December 24, 2017, 06:23:09 pm »

I think the best way to approach this turn is to design a weapon using alien equipment token

Then revise our existing combat armor using alien alloys token. This way our infantry gets both new weapon and new armor. Alternatively we can use alien alloys to revise better jet engines.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #343 on: December 24, 2017, 06:32:31 pm »

I believe battlefield intel will help their success rate more than armor or weapons.

However, if we do want to make weapons, let's trust the expert.

XM25 CDTE
If you are looking for a new direction to take conventional weapons to compete in damage with, there was the OICW program. Long story short, they had attempted to design a "rifle" that shot small caliber grenades instead of bullets. They were designed so that they could explode around cover, hitting targets where normal bullets would be unable to. Theoretically, you could match a plasma weapon's damage if you had powerful enough explosives (though with how Xcom's explosives tend to work, they might be significantly less powerful). In the end, the project was cancelled for a variety of reasons, but working models had been fielded in Afghanistan to positive reception (the XM25 CDTE). Even if it ends up being less powerful, cover tends to be the biggest factor in Xcom games, and having a weapon that can mitigate it would help drastically. (full)

These are already designed. They just need to be produced. We can do this in the revision phase. They are as strong as the enemy's weapons.

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: December 24, 2017, 07:03:09 pm »

If we're going for long range engagements, I'd rather go for something that isn't a tired trope, at least for a little while.

Xcomm Ordinance Muntions "Understanding"

Understanding is a class of munitions designed to go into high power sniper rifles, especially designed semiautomatic rifles or other such equipment where there is enough volume for the Guidance package and explosive payload to fit. With the specially designed rifles designed to deploy the munitions, the wielder is outfitted two additional pieces of equipment to utilize the XOMU. Number one, A large piece of computer hardware that is on the cutting edge of scientific power, this device is equipped with both a directed and unidirectional antenna designed to talk to the round while it is in flight. A tablet sized screen with an optional keyboard for the user to give manual commands to give commands to the bullet that it would otherwise be unable to figure out without. (Steer around bullet instead of going straight, etc.) The third piece of equipment is a visual/thermal Camera identifier, designed for the user to take a snapshot of the battlefield and choose the specific signature to target.

The bullet itself is equipped to totally change its aerodynamic profile, allowing it to "steer" in an otherwise impossible manner, with a combination of alien electronic pieces scavenged from surviving hardware. The payload itself is variable and can either be HEAT, Incendiary, or High Explosive, depending on the users choice.

In medium-close range, it is expected that a shot that would otherwise graze or barely miss a target to hit slightly better then before, and depending on the payload, airburst if applicable. In the long-range, the effects are dramatically increased, as a skilled user-adjusted to the rifle could make miracle shots that would be otherwise impossible, the computer takes over for operating the payloads delivery, automatically adjusting to hit either the designated target or automatically finding a signature that matches known alien intruders.

XPR-1 Plasma Rifle(0):
X-R-Drone (0):
XH1 Railgun Rifle (3): Chiefwaffles, Happerry, strongpoint
XOMU (1):Blood Librarian

MISSION DESIGN
Combined Arms (3): Cnidaros, Chiefwaffles, roseheart
Surround and siege (1) strongpoint