Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 76

Author Topic: Vigilo Confido : XCOM Arms Race  (Read 85582 times)

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vigilo Confido : XCOM Arms Race
« Reply #315 on: December 24, 2017, 04:15:20 pm »

I would vote for armor (if it used the alloys token) but we are dangerously close to the aliens easily beating us at ground:

We can either not kill them and not die, or we can maybe-hopefully kill them on a good roll, and die like them (Since our Kevlar is apparently useless against things including tranquilizers and tasers).

Our soldiers should already be using things like grenade launchers and rifles, we can specifically equip them with HEAT grenades for their underslung grenade launchers or some such if necessary.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #316 on: December 24, 2017, 04:21:24 pm »

I if we are going to consider weapons, let's ask Stirk.
It is absolutely necessary, for the peace and safety of mankind, that some of earth's dark, dead corners and unplumbed depths be left alone; lest sleeping abnormalities wake to resurgent life, and blasphemously surviving nightmares squirm and splash out of their black lairs to newer and wider conquests.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: December 24, 2017, 04:21:52 pm »

Well, laser rifle is cliche and by the game... but it is still a good thing and leads to laser weapons for aircrafts. And we can revise modern combat armor with alien alloys to improve our armor. Or revise Ravens using alloys. If I'll get no votes for X-R drone anytime soon, I'll probably switch to laser rifle.

Is that hostile engagement mission thing meant to straight replace down and capture? It doesn't even look like a mission but more like a passive benefit. I think it is good, I don't think it is a mission.

They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: December 24, 2017, 04:22:29 pm »

Proper alien armor would probably protect them (at least partially) from grenades as well, and generally speaking you don't want your only option of damaging to be grenades.
I'd rather be able to kill them at all even if some of our soldiers die, then not be able to kill them at all.

Strongpoint: I could also make a design for a railgun semi-soon if that works better.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: December 24, 2017, 04:28:29 pm »

One of reasons I want X-R-Drone > we are getting VP token, our current options are either spend it on Skyranger (and have free skyranger for the rest of the game) or design something that cost 1VP. I prefer the latter.

X-R drone does help if they'll field some big armored thing, it helps to get inside UFO, it helps to protect the skies. Infantry equipment just make us fight better on the land.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: December 24, 2017, 04:29:22 pm »

DESIGN
XenoCeramics(1): Blood_Librarian
Jackdaw(0):
ACE(1): Madman
XPR-1 Plasma Rifle(0):
Mosquito Combat Drone(4): Cnidaros, Strongpoint, roseheart, Stabby
XH1 Laser Rifle (1): Chiefwaffles

MISSION DESIGN
Surprise&Capture(1): roseheart
Combined Arms(1): Cnidaros
Hostile Engagement Location Protocol (2): Chiefwaffles, Stabby
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: December 24, 2017, 04:35:00 pm »

Mosquito has two problems - satellite signal may be jammed (or they'll destroy satellites) and more importantly what the hell will it do against armored opponents?

Hostile engagement protocol doesn't look like a mission for me. Besides combined arms work with X-R well

DESIGN
XenoCeramics(1): Blood_Librarian
Jackdaw(0):
ACE(1): Madman
XPR-1 Plasma Rifle(0):
Mosquito Combat Drone(3): Cnidaros,  roseheart, Stabby
X-R-Drone (1): Strongpoint,
XH1 Laser Rifle (1): Chiefwaffles

MISSION DESIGN
Surprise&Capture(1): roseheart
Combined Arms(2): Cnidaros, Strongpoint
Hostile Engagement Location Protocol (2): Chiefwaffles, Stabby
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 04:38:08 pm by Strongpoint »

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #322 on: December 24, 2017, 04:36:30 pm »

GM, how are the current mission proposals looking, in terms of being valid submissions?
It is absolutely necessary, for the peace and safety of mankind, that some of earth's dark, dead corners and unplumbed depths be left alone; lest sleeping abnormalities wake to resurgent life, and blasphemously surviving nightmares squirm and splash out of their black lairs to newer and wider conquests.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: December 24, 2017, 04:43:47 pm »

HELP is a mission in that is assigns an asset (friendly military units, who should be more than happy to help us prevent their citizens from getting killed) to a goal (Support XCOM and/or take down bogeys on their own).

Strongpoint, we should assign that token to the Skyranger, since we KNOW we'll basically ALWAYS be using it. The drone will be a good thing to have, but what if they counter it? With the Skyranger, we *might* eventually upgrade it, but probably not (We should use a piece of equipment if we fear contact with enemy armor units, and the Ranger can deliver anyone anywhere in plenty of time).

As for not doing armor....Our guys are incredibly well trained. They can make the shots necessary to kill an armored enemy. Also, again, we DO have rocket launchers and grenade launchers, or we should have them, and so if we protect them, they'll get the job done.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #324 on: December 24, 2017, 05:05:01 pm »

If combined arms is a valid mission type, then the scope of this game just blew it's cap.

This is no longer about a covert team and units performing precision missions. It's about large battlefields with terran and extraterrestrial craft in open war.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: December 24, 2017, 05:07:39 pm »

If combined arms is a valid mission type, then the scope of this game just blew it's cap.

This is no longer about a covert team and units performing precision missions. It's about large battlefields with terran and extraterrestrial craft in open war.

I see no reason to keep the scale small if the enemy has a tech advantage. Instead of desperately playing catch up, we'll force them to desperately play dodgeball...with tank shells. There's no reason to keep it covert---nations have heard of the abductions, they know the aliens are out there, let's give them the opportunity to help us help them.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #326 on: December 24, 2017, 05:15:34 pm »

Seems like we are playing world politics, which should be out of our scope.

We are not the president of a nation or seated on the United Nations. We are the people hired to take care of things, discreetly.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: December 24, 2017, 05:16:56 pm »

My point is that that makes no logical sense, and we're under no obligation (At present) to do things in a stupid manner. If I can have even the POSSIBILITY of a tank column rolling in to gun down the enemy's new floaty armored things, I'm going to try for it, instead of saying "Oh well, they're abducting people and literally everyone knows about it but WE MUST KEEP IT QUIET!"

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #328 on: December 24, 2017, 05:18:33 pm »

It doesn't make sense we are not a president/UN member?

I like the idea of a twist. But we should not be able to make that mission, is my only commentary.

We should seek every advantage, so I await the GM's response.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 05:21:38 pm by roseheart »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: December 24, 2017, 05:24:34 pm »

A covert mission profile where the enemy is caught off guard, such as kidnapping a corrupted vip when vulnerable, or intercepting xeno activity in urban areas as soon as it is detected.

This one appears to try 2 different things at once. One thing trying to eliminate alien infiltration, the other trying to ambush regular landings. That's not quite valid.

Mission Type: Combined Arms
This mission emphasises the synergy of air assets and ground troops. While our troops conduct the ground assault, the Raven overhead fires extra missiles into the grounded UFO, breaching a hole for our troops to storm it. Additional fire can be called down on enemy positions by commanders on the ground, who have direct communication to HQ and the pilots for better coordination. If the reconnaissance UAV is still airborne, it is used by command staff to update ground commanders on the tactical situation.

This is valid.

Hostile Engagement Location Protocol
By contacting the nations bogeys are descending towards, we can potentially have a heavily-armed reception committee of anti-ballistic-missile missiles, tanks, air force assets, and soldiers prepared to engage the UFOs before or immediately after landing. If an XCOM mission is en route to engage the targeted bogey(s), the nation will be asked to withhold the attack until and unless the XCOM mission fails, or needs heavy support to prevent the UFO's escape. Otherwise, the nation's forces will be expected to engage the vessels ASAP.

Mission profiles are about XCOM deploys it's forces. Not about how it deploys forces that aren't theirs while they go off enjoying themselves elsewhere. In addition, the setting here is XCOM. That means small squads and engagements, not major army movements. Asking help (within those restrictions) is fine.

Do note the same setting restrictions prevents the enemy from just nuking you from orbit.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 76