Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 76

Author Topic: Vigilo Confido : XCOM Arms Race  (Read 85556 times)

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
Re: Vigilo Confido : XCOM Arms Race
« Reply #105 on: December 15, 2017, 08:22:13 am »

We should set something down in South Africa that can take off and intercept that space UFO when it starts to do a damn thing at all.
It is absolutely necessary, for the peace and safety of mankind, that some of earth's dark, dead corners and unplumbed depths be left alone; lest sleeping abnormalities wake to resurgent life, and blasphemously surviving nightmares squirm and splash out of their black lairs to newer and wider conquests.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 15, 2017, 08:47:12 am »

So interceptors cost 2 VP, and Skyrangers 1 VP, and we have five VP.

Personal Inclination is to slap both flying UFOs with an Interceptor, and send a Skyranger to the landed UFO filled with NOTSOFT troopers. That way we have a chance to recover loot, and the aliens get to take as little resources as possible back to wherever they have their base.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #107 on: December 15, 2017, 08:48:14 am »

Sounds good, who do we send?

(Do we have specific "hero" units or are they just general troops? Do we have rookies and notsoft to choose from?)

I believe we should send a complete unit of our greenest rookies. Perhaps a fair chance to win against the sectoids, but hide our NOTSOFT until absolutely necessary.

"All warfare is based on deception. Hence, when we are able to attack, we must seem unable; when using our forces, we must appear inactive; when we are near, we must make the enemy believe we are far away; when far away, we must make him believe we are near." — Sun Tzu
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 09:00:52 am by roseheart »
It is absolutely necessary, for the peace and safety of mankind, that some of earth's dark, dead corners and unplumbed depths be left alone; lest sleeping abnormalities wake to resurgent life, and blasphemously surviving nightmares squirm and splash out of their black lairs to newer and wider conquests.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 15, 2017, 09:30:00 am »

A skyranger can only deploy a single squad, we have three unit points, rookies cost 1 and NOTSOFT costs 3. If we're only sending a single Skyranger in, we might as well send in NOTSOFT.

Edit : Also, Interceptor Strikes don't usually give any worthwhile salvage, and we really need salvage to get good shinies like lasers or alloy ammo of our own. It might be worthwhile hiding anti-psi troopers till an Ethereal Battlecruiser drops or something, but hiding NOTSOFT isn't worth the extra chance of loosing and getting no shiny salvage that opens up shiny super technology things.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 09:54:09 am by Happerry »
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #109 on: December 15, 2017, 10:42:36 am »

If we hit hard with troops now, they will remember it in the design phase.

A bad idea.

This is the lead I suggest.

Destroy a UFO in spectacular fashion. If we cannot, become able to ASAP.

Upon doing this, immediately focus on troop enhancements, while they now focus on improving UFO battle efficiency.

Once we crush them on a ground battle, immediately focus on improving ability to take down UFOs with minimal damage for the tech.

This early start plan will lead us strongly into where ever we must go next, with the Ethereals licking their wounds and eating our dust.

Imminently, we should send our rookies, enough that they can win, but a loss would not be all bad. As they would become comfortable with their superiority in that area, albeit falsly so.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 10:49:53 am by roseheart »

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 15, 2017, 10:57:04 am »

Well, we could send three skyrangers... Overkill doesn't hurt with rookies.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 15, 2017, 11:02:41 am »

We can't send enough rookies to be assured that they'll win unless we let some of the UFOs go by unopposed. We have 5 VP, Interceptors cost 2, and Skyrangers 1. There are 3 UFOs. We can't send 3 Interceptors out because that would be 6 VP, and we only have 5, so we need to catch two of them with Interceptors and drop a Skyranger on the last one. Since we can only send a single Skyranger out, we can send only a single squad out. If we're going to send a single Squad out, it should be NOTSOFT because that gives us the best chance of winning and getting the loot we need to start researching the high tech stuff instead of being limited to current tech stuff.

Well, we could send three skyrangers... Overkill doesn't hurt with rookies.
We could only send three Skyrangers after the landed UFO if we ignored the other two UFOs, which will give the Ethereals more resources and allow them to send out even more/better stuff next turn. We can not afford to let UFOs go past without trying to bring them down unless we really have no other choice. We could send one Skyranger after each UFO, each with a squad of rookies and with one Interceptor to bring down a UFO, which gives us more chance of successfully getting loot but them more chance of successfully getting away with a mission I guess, but I'd prefer to bring the hammer down.

Quote from: votes
Launch Interceptor vs Bogey 001 (Destroy): [2] Khan Boyzitbig, Happerry
Launch Interceptor vs Bogey 002 (Destroy): [1] Happerry
Deploy Skyranger vs Bogey 003 (Capture): [1] Khan Boyzitbig
Deploy Skyranger (1 NOTSOFT Squad) vs Bogey 003 (Capture): [1] Happerry
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 11:05:40 am by Happerry »
Forenia Forever!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 15, 2017, 11:21:55 am »

We should hit them with two interceptors and a NOTSOFT unit. NOTSOFT makes our troops superior, might as well deploy it.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #113 on: December 15, 2017, 12:47:04 pm »

Operation: Zebra
The point of this operation is to tell two lies to our enemy:
1. We are focused on air to air.
2. We are focused on many weak ground units.

Overview
We destroy the bogey flying over Egypt. We then send all other available ground assets to the grounded bogey.

GM I will attempt to describe this in game terms, but if my wishes can be better expressed in those values, and you know what I mean to do, please modify these plans to better express the intended goal.

This is our first mix-up with the enemy, let's make the wrong first impression, for the right reasons.

1 Raven [Destroy Bogey 001] (2VP)

3 Skyranger [Capture Bogey 003] (3VP, 3UP)
1 Rookie Squad (BASIC XCOM PISTOL)
1 Rookie Squad (BASIC XCOM RIFLE)
1 Rookie Squad (BASIC XCOM Grenade)

5/5VP 3/3UP

Cnidaros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 15, 2017, 01:20:43 pm »

This is getting a bit messy, so I'm making a votebox. I concur with Happerry's plan to engage 2xInterceptor and 1xSkyranger with NOTSOFT troopers.

Quote from: Votebox
Happerry's Plan: (2) Happerry, Cnidaros
Khan Boyzitbig's Plan: (1) Khan Boyzitbig
Operation Zebra: (1) Roseheart

Happerry's Plan: 1 Interceptor each to Bogey 001 and 002, 1 Skyranger with NOTSOFT troops to Bogey 003
Khan's Plan: 1 Interceptor to Bogey 001, 1 Skyranger to Bogey 003
Operation Zebra: 1 Interceptor to Bogey 001, 3 Skyranger with rookies to Bogey 003

Also, I think there's no need to specify which squads have which equipment, since rifles pistols and grenades all have 0 cost.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 15, 2017, 03:44:11 pm »

Also, I think there's no need to specify which squads have which equipment, since rifles pistols and grenades all have 0 cost.

Yup.

They were added only because someone asked, and I'd previously forgotten. Your soldiers will automatically take all the equipment they need if they're authorized to do so (and basic equipment is considered free for all).

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 15, 2017, 03:50:02 pm »

Quote from: Votebox
Happerry's Plan: (3) Happerry, Cnidaros, strongpoint
Khan Boyzitbig's Plan: (1) Khan Boyzitbig
Operation Zebra: (1) Roseheart

Happerry's Plan: 1 Interceptor each to Bogey 001 and 002, 1 Skyranger with NOTSOFT troops to Bogey 003
Khan's Plan: 1 Interceptor to Bogey 001, 1 Skyranger to Bogey 003
Operation Zebra: 1 Interceptor to Bogey 001, 3 Skyranger with rookies to Bogey 003
Roseheart is interesting because 3 units of rookies look safer, but we got lucky detecting South African one very early so it would be wrong to ignore it
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #117 on: December 15, 2017, 04:25:40 pm »

Yup.

They were added only because someone asked, and I'd previously forgotten. Your soldiers will automatically take all the equipment they need if they're authorized to do so (and basic equipment is considered free for all).
Alright consider that the main weapons. Is there a limit to how many weapons a troop can hold? A unit? How many units in a troop?

Roseheart is interesting because 3 units of rookies look safer, but we got lucky detecting South African one very early so it would be wrong to ignore it
It's a matter of going after the bigger piece of cheese(you'll recall I also wanted to go after that UFO)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

However I have changed my mind. The alternative is sending over a single squad of traumatized bruised NOTSOFT to take on the ground UFO, one that has landed of its own free will and is ready and waiting for us, in other words a death trap.

I believe that the three squads of rookies are better than the one of our NOTSOFT, but even if that is not true and actually especially if it's not true then in either case we will lose. Better to lose some vanilla rookies that don't tell our enemies anything then our unpolished NOTSOFT that we could have more prepared next time around once we refine that program.

Also the Raven Interceptor is a "bleeding edge" piece of technology, specially designed to take down UFOs. I have a hunch that in the vanilla game from the get-go they will have a good chance on a one-on-one battle and then we will get our UFO kill that will get our enemy chasing their tails in that arena allowing us free room to beef up our soldiers.

I trust this plan because it has already won, it doesn't even matter what happens next.

I must apologize that I think I rub people the wrong way in these team games. I do not come across as humble. And I often have strong convictions. I can do nothing other than ask you to join my plan if you think it's a good idea, I do not have the social tools to persuade you. :(
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 04:29:06 pm by roseheart »

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 15, 2017, 04:57:25 pm »

Do remember that NOTSOFT soldiers are tough, the ones who make it through, anyway. They're not insane or anything so far as we know, they're our best bet for winning a battle. Let's use them instead of giving ourselves a larger risk of loss.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #119 on: December 15, 2017, 05:05:25 pm »

What are the penalties to loss of rookies? Don't we just replace them for free?

if we win with the NOTSOFT, we have shown our best hand. I do not call that a victory.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 05:14:16 pm by roseheart »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 76