Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Zombie Siege and then... Legendary Embryo  (Read 1208 times)

SomeUntakenUsername

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Zombie Siege and then... Legendary Embryo
« on: December 11, 2017, 08:55:45 am »

One of the later forts I played I succumbed to overwhelming amounts of !!FUN!! with a zombie siege. Everyone was slaughtered except one dwarf. Upon inspection I noticed it was a legendary child... somehow having a negative age...

It seems that because the dwarven child had a negative age, her tissues had no volume so all attacks passed through with no harm. Unfortunately, she was constantly unconscious, and eventually died of dehydration after a few months.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Zombie Siege and then... Legendary Embryo
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 09:54:06 am »

Was she a migrant? At least the previous version had a bug where the age of migrant children could be incorrect (including negative), which corrected itself either on the turn of the year or their birthday (I don't remember which).
Are you playing a version older than 0.44.01? If so, the head bug would be present. This bug causes sufficiently small targets to never get hit, such as animated head hair and head skin. That bug was fixed in 0.44.01.

SomeUntakenUsername

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 11:42:56 am »

I believe she was a migrant(only one child was born in the fortress and I had about 9 of 'em), however I am playing the latest version (44.02)

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 11:46:59 am »

I remember someone talking about something similar in 43.05. We were discussing whether there is a way to possibly weaponize this. :P
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 01:21:04 pm »

The age would be explained by the known migrant bug, but as far as I know that doesn't have any effects other than an incorrect display of the age. The failure to hit the infant definitely sounds like the failure to hit small targets bug that should have been solved with 0.44.01, so I'd recommend the filing of a bug tracker report.

SomeUntakenUsername

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 01:27:14 pm »

I'm not 100% sure if this is relevant to the bug, but as I was monitoring the child's status, I DID see that the age did indeed count up as time passed(edit: stayed negative but counted up day-by-day)...

I'm fairly sure I gened this world right after 44.02 came out as I had to update my own personal mods (they give adventurers access to metalsmithing, and underground animal races civ's in worldgen)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 04:05:26 pm by SomeUntakenUsername »

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2017, 04:20:05 am »

Go fetus squad!

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2017, 05:22:19 am »

Oh hey, looks like little Sazir Dotshot has a friend!

EDIT: There was some stuff here about bugs, but it looks like others have already explained it better in this thread. A rare but funny bug in any case.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 05:33:43 am by Staalo »
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?