Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Balancing Acts: Nature  (Read 4831 times)

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
Re: Balancing Acts:Nature
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2017, 09:12:32 am »

Bestial vs Mechanical
&
Magical vs Scientific
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2017, 09:37:50 am »

Sup Nature bros.

Riffing off some ideas I saw earlier, I suggest Self-Sufficience and Reclamation.

Nature does not need Industry. It can provide the energy and resources it needs by itself, whereas Industry itself admits it cannot survive without the resources of Nature.

Without constant maintenance and attention, all things Industry produces, be it a paper cup or a concrete city, will fall into disrepair and be subsumed back into Nature. Industry may have it's time but all things begin and end with Nature.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2017, 11:30:41 am »

Since there isn't a clear consensus (except for Magical having several supporters), I put the traits mentioned thus far into a Strawpoll. These are by no means the only traits we can have, go ahead and keep suggesting more.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2017, 11:55:04 am »

Since there isn't a clear consensus (except for Magical having several supporters), I put the traits mentioned thus far into a Strawpoll. These are by no means the only traits we can have, go ahead and keep suggesting more.

This poll would make more sense if it showed the alternate option with each trait.
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2017, 12:14:40 pm »

A lot of options have been discussed, and many of them are good! These traits are here to provide a common ground for you to understand your teams goals and direction and some limitations to accomplish them. So think of traits that Nature as a divine force wants to encourage in the world, and/or how.

I’ve liked some of the potential ideas for the opposites of Industry’s traits, which you guys also need to pick :D

Hope this helped instead of making it more confusing!
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2017, 12:43:19 pm »

This poll would make more sense if it showed the alternate option with each trait.
I think you've misunderstood. In the main thread, we were deciding on a pair of teams to oppose each other, so they were presented as such. In this thread, we are deciding the traits for our team, so they are presented as singles. We will then present them to the other team, who will decide among themselves what they will take as the traits' opposites.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2017, 06:54:51 pm »

Refinement: endlessly repeat, better each time.
That's not the definition the Industrialists are using.
Refinement is akin to an oil refinery, taking the resources that Nature created and making them into something better.

Nature makes iron ore, but Industry and refinement turn it into steel, able to be shaped to a useful form.
Thanks... I find that easier to comprehend as distillation... We could go for an acceptance theme. Resourcefulness maybe. They take only what they seek and discard the rest, we find value in everything...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2017, 07:06:52 am »

I think you've misunderstood. In the main thread, we were deciding on a pair of teams to oppose each other, so they were presented as such. In this thread, we are deciding the traits for our team, so they are presented as singles. We will then present them to the other team, who will decide among themselves what they will take as the traits' opposites.

No. My understanding, GM clear me up if I misunderstand...

We are deciding on ADDITIONAL gradiants aka polarities. This means a trait we choose for us has an opposite for them.

So 'Bestial vs Mechanical' is different than 'Bestial vs Magical'.
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2017, 07:55:20 am »

Indeed the trait we choose has an opposite given to them, but it is them who decide it, not us.

E: I've been asked to speed things along, so I grabbed the top four of the last poll for a final round. Vote here, make it count, and please let's not have another tie.

E2: Just as I posted that, this happened:

I'll leave the poll up for a while and will do my best to reread everyone's opinions before acting on anything.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 08:06:46 am by IcyTea31 »

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2017, 08:06:11 am »

No. My understanding, GM clear me up if I misunderstand...

We are deciding on ADDITIONAL gradiants aka polarities. This means a trait we choose for us has an opposite for them.

So 'Bestial vs Mechanical' is different than 'Bestial vs Magical'.

You were originally correct, I made the change so that the teams decide all the traits they are getting, but two of them have to opposites of the other teams chosen traits. I’m hoping the new way might be more... balanced :P Your team can still veto if it can’t think of an opposite that would fit with nature.

I have also chosen IcyTea to be your teams spokesman (by virtue of being active on discord when I woke up) and to help represent the team’s will when choosing the traits that will define your team. This position will change with each turn, you will be able to elect future spokespeople, or have your previous spokesperson nominate someone.
Have fun!
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2017, 08:25:34 am »

Sorry I gotta drop out.
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2017, 11:17:26 am »

Ok, lets see if we can make this clearer.

Quote from: Vote Box
Magical: Roboson
Adaption/Evolution: Roboson
Perfection:
Eternal:

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Balancing Acts: Nature
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2017, 12:55:48 pm »

Since you're asking for a full-on debate in the main thread, could you do more than just leave a vote box that will waste even more time to have everyone fill?

I'll abstain from voting for now. Honestly, I'm fine with any two of the four.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2017, 01:01:03 pm »

*Eyeroll* Sure, I'll get everyone to vote by breaking into their houses and holding them at gunpoint until they check which box they want. No Tea, I won't do more because short of what I just described, there is nothing to do.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2017, 01:11:02 pm »

I mean, the votebox is the standard Arms Race means of making things happen, so I don't see why you're complaining about it, Tea.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5