Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Anyone seen a platypus?  (Read 1194 times)

nonobots

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Anyone seen a platypus?
« on: December 07, 2017, 05:46:00 pm »

Checking stuff in the raws I noticed the platypus correctly had its venom simulated. Decided to try and see how it behave in DF - can I weaponize it?

I've created 2 dozen worlds, changed the [FREQUENCY] tag to a 100, platypuses never show up when I check the world-sites-and-pops text file.

1- are they bugged? Anyone seen them?
2- am I using the frequency tag wrong?
3- is there something that would just prevent them to be listed in the txt file but they would still show up in-world?

Edit: on 0.44.02
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 06:04:28 pm by nonobots »
Playing DF on a Mac.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone seen a platypus?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 06:30:13 pm »

I've met a platypus, in adventurer mode. At the start of adventure it was missing from a bestiary, but after I've met him it is there (but only a male).

After I retired adventurer for a test, and exported data in Legends, the world_sites_and_pops.txt still lacks platypuses, though. So there is a kind of bug here.

nonobots

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 06:35:50 pm »

I've met a platypus, in adventurer mode. At the start of adventure it was missing from a bestiary, but after I've met him it is there (but only a male).

After I retired adventurer for a test, and exported data in Legends, the world_sites_and_pops.txt still lacks platypuses, though. So there is a kind of bug here.

Thank you - I will start settling rivers at random I guess :/
Playing DF on a Mac.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 08:17:20 pm »

In all my years, I have never ever seen a platypus, Fort or Adventure.  Assuming there isn't some internal coding creating a bug, I would try changing the available biomes, maybe even adding it as an embarkation animal.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 10:09:03 pm »

I added poisonous animals: always present to my Dark Elves. They're happily taking over the world with their platypusses now (well, mostly thanks to their giant snakes actually, but they do have platypus too).

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2017, 04:43:37 am »

Platypii are exclusive to rivers (ANY_RIVER in the raws, an no mentioning of lakes). Given that river creatures appear on embark, wander off (except sponges, of course), and never get a replacement you need a fair bit of luck to get them.

Technical stuff:
River populations are defined in a sub component of surface river "features" down in the feature map structure, and that sub component gets generated anew when the data for that world tile is filled in inside the feature shell (and it's unloaded as the feature shell runs out of focus).
It ought to be possible to use DFHack to change the river creature population structure to only contain platypii right before embarking, without changing the pre embark world focus from that world tile between manipulation and embark. You probably need some luck anyway, as you don't always get any river critter on embark. Note that this is a theoretical discussion: I haven't actually tried it myself.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2017, 06:12:25 am »

Anyone ever seen, or ever seen someone see a foul blendec?

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2017, 06:40:04 pm »

Spoiler: Patrik's explanation (click to show/hide)

Basically river biomes are specific to the river only. That's the 4-whatever tiles you get as a river if you embark on one. Eventually the creatures in the river migrate out (aquatic animals leave the river by land, and fish leave by the up or generally downstream exits). No creatures migrate back in. This is an ongoing bug or omission in the game. Generally the aquatic creatures that get spawned seem to be sponges, hippos, otters, carp, stingrays, or their giant variants.

Of course you can mod these creatures so they appear in a non-aquatic biome, but that requires a new worldgen after you alter the raws.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2017, 07:35:25 pm »

Can anyone really "see" a platypus?
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2017, 01:14:06 am »

Mate, I've seen 'em, I've shared a river with 'em, it's photographing the little bastards and getting a photo of more than just ripples on the surface of the reflective sodding water that's the hard bit. But when you see them, you know that there must be marrin down there somewhere for the duckbills to eat, and it's sure to be a good fishing river.

...Oh, wait, in game? I assume they're a "p".... I mean, do you ever really "see" your dorfs? Those happy smiley faces can hide a multitude of pissed, angry, melancholic little sawn-off bundles of creativity and destruction.....
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!