Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 48

Author Topic: Fallacy's BYOR 3: GAME OVER(about time, too).  (Read 79134 times)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: Fallacy's BYOR 3(11/11): Day 1: Nobody Dead
« Reply #195 on: January 10, 2018, 12:11:30 pm »

[...
Could I ask why there's a firsthand similarity, or at least how it seems to be to me, between you and Maximum Spin's ideas--that the cult leader would speak to or address the target--that isn't directly explained but used as a foundation for the reasoning written down?
Well at first blush it seemed logical. I thought that the cult leader would want to try to get a handle on the person who was considering their offer.  Now I'm of the opinion that the cult leader would probably avoid speaking to someone if that person had refused their offer. Everything depends on how the cult works mechanically, which only the cult leader knows (if there even is a cult-- Imic might be lying or could have received false information to mislead).

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: January 10, 2018, 12:46:06 pm »

But why would a cult have to ask for players to join to be able to recruit them? It doesn't make any sense. Everyone could just refuse, knowing that everyone else would just exactly do that.
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 10, 2018, 01:47:37 pm »

Hmmm...
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

GigaGiant

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering down at you
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: January 10, 2018, 04:46:15 pm »

Maximum Spin
When did you learn about this message? Why did you choose to mention the cult after Imic brought it up, rather than earlier?
Beginning of d1, and because I currently understand the cult to be town-aligned. Answering the rest of your question is beyond the scope of the information I am presently willing and able to convey.
Well, alright. Is there any other information that you would be willing to share with us? Will you tell us more information if you survive to Day 2?

kingawsume
kingawsume
Quote from: GigaGiant
1. Why did you think it was unlikely that Maximum Spin was scum?
Law of Probability; we are, by simple majority, more likely to hit a townie D1 then anything else.
Okay, but that's technically true for a vote against any one of us. Doesn't seem that relevant.
Did you have any kind of read on Maximum Spin before you hammered? What's your read on Maximum Spin now?
Also, you missed Tiruin's question:
Err, if you think someone is town, even as unhelpful as they are at the moment, anyone has unsaid abilities and other actions that they can do to help their wincon. Unhelpful town being dead, is best off done later...like, not on D1 ._.

Do you have reads on other people that approach a similar degree of scuminess, kingawsume?
Or is there something about Maximum Spin that pushed him to be a priority to hammer-lynch for the near-future?
I had a read of "Annoying person" and just wanted to get rid of him from that. Now that's he's posted some more, I'm thinking something not so assimilar to a Spy role, except that it's a cult, not mafia. Alignment is grey, but I don't believe he's a cult member. I'll Unvote for now.
To Tiru, not yet. I'll look more when I have the time. Day ends tomorrow, right?
What is a "Spy role" capable of? Is it like the Spy mentioned on the Town of Salem Wiki, or is it the Spy/Traitor mentioned on the MafiaScum Wiki? Or something else?

Imic
Hmmm...
Why are you avoiding answering my questions? If nothing else, I would really appreciate it if you could at least answer these:
What choices do you have regarding that cult message you received last night? Can you only choose to accept it, or can you also choose to reject it?
Insert witty signature here

Silthuri

• Bay Watcher
  • Having a good ol' time lurking about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: January 10, 2018, 05:07:16 pm »

Okay, kinda late and kinda large post incoming. Keep in mind that this is all chronological so if I bring up things that are already taken care of or explained etc I'm doing so to record my initial reactions to them (or at least before any clarifications or future events). So disregard any questions that have been answered that I leave in here. I also focused on people I found suspicious or just posts of theirs I found noteworthy. It's safe to say I'm pretty neutral to those I don't mention explicitly here.  Enjoy!

Spoiler: Maximum Spin (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: randomgenericusername (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: BlackHeartKabal (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: GigaGiant (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Imic (click to show/hide)

Anyway, all of those voting Maximum Spin: With the added time given, do you still think he is the best person to place your lynch vote on?
I'm very confuzzled with the recent developments and I'm going back and forth between Max and Imic because of the cult shenanigans. I think Imic is a possible cultist and I don't necessarily trust his word that he doesn't want to join the cult. But Max's meager responses are still a source of confusion for me, so as of right now I suppose that my best choice is to place my vote on the person who has confirmed (by his own words) contact with a cult so Imic.

EBWOP:
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Silthuri

• Bay Watcher
  • Having a good ol' time lurking about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: January 10, 2018, 05:08:54 pm »

EBWOP: that EBWOP wasn't supposed to be there :v

I was going to put in a PPE about how I noticed that the bulk of the post was (unintentionally) about Max.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

kingawsume

• Bay Watcher
  • Still wondering why orang man and meme man feud.
    • View Profile
    • Sig Text
« Reply #201 on: January 10, 2018, 05:22:56 pm »

What is a "Spy role" capable of? Is it like the Spy mentioned on the Town of Salem Wiki, or is it the Spy/Traitor mentioned on the MafiaScum Wiki? Or something else?
Town of Salem.
Urist McZombie, werecarp, has taken form! A giant carp twisted into a humanoid form. Its eyes glow blue. Its fins are purple. Now you will know to fear the night.
"Problems with playing in evil biomes"

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 10, 2018, 07:43:34 pm »

I think that it's probable that Maximum Spin was a cultist and he recruited Imic, then made the fake claim of his ability to support Imic's story about being asked to join the cult. Imic was the one who was "offered" to join the cult so he is probably not the cult leader but could still potentially be a cultist. I don't think we should vote for Imic yet.
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: January 10, 2018, 11:18:50 pm »

Could I ask why there's a firsthand similarity, or at least how it seems to be to me, between you and Maximum Spin's ideas--that the cult leader would speak to or address the target--that isn't directly explained but used as a foundation for the reasoning written down?
Wait when the hell did I say that?
Not everyone here has had the luxury of playing with you before this game, such as myself. I believe you were lynched before I even replaced in, so I didn't look very hard at your play given that I was scum and had more pressing matters.
It would be fair to say that I hoped nobody would find the basic concept of "not answering every single question" so foundationally disturbing and confounding, whether they've had the opportunity to play with me before or not. But I would be especially more annoyed at people who had.
So, again, you're ignoring questions rather than asking for clarification?
Yes, because it's not my responsibility to make sure your questions make sense for you! I don't have this drive to answer questions just because they're there, remember?
You're accusing Tiru of being extremely wordy (correct me if I'm wrong)
Okay! Usually she isn't wordy enough, at least not in the direction of actual clarification, while the words she does use don't make sense in context and just add to the confusion.
Maybe I'm just being nitpicky here because I'm easily miffed where friends come in and I just have this natural urge to defend Tiru, especially when it comes to her writing :v
Look, I didn't want to bring it up, but she kept pressing the issue. I like Tiruin, okay, I just find her really really hard to understand most of the time. I was trying not to make a big deal out of it.
And on reading further, you are extremely passive aggressive.
If you think you see me being passive-aggressive, it's probable that you're misinterpreting something. Or just confusing sarcasm with passive-aggressiveness, which is a common enough mistake. Anyway, please explain when you think I'm being passive-aggressive? If I have ever been anything less than actually aggressive I would consider it a grave stain on my honour.
I'd like to restate a question I believe I and someone else asked and you conveniently didn't answer: rather than simply ignoring, why not just say what you said right here? Answer the question by saying you don't do RVS? If you have decent reasoning, the distraction would be significantly less than what we've been dealing with all day today.
Because I didn't feel like going out of my way to answer a question with faulty premises, and getting distracted by people not answering every single question is insane and terrible, so I didn't expect it to happen.
This is rubbing me the wrong way. Could be just me, but you seem to be making kinda personal attacks on people, especially with king here.
shrug

I wouldn't call any of that an attack at all, personal or otherwise, myself.
I'd also like to point out that you don't state a read on me in this post. I'm only mentioned as misunderstanding you.
Huh, I seem to have missed you, even though I was following the list of players in the first post.
Took you a while to say this, too.
Yep.
I mentioned it when Imic went out of his way to acknowledge it, since I considered it Imic's business and none of my own.
Well then. I'd love to know how your role prevents you from telling people what your role is, when you're subtly doing that now.
Hypothetically, the theme of the role could be about only doing things or giving away information subtly.
I think that it's probable that Maximum Spin was a cultist and he recruited Imic, then made the fake claim of his ability to support Imic's story about being asked to join the cult. Imic was the one who was "offered" to join the cult so he is probably not the cult leader but could still potentially be a cultist. I don't think we should vote for Imic yet.
Wait wait wait. Why on earth would I want to back up Imic's admission of the existence of a cult if I was in it? I'm not a cultist (I already told you, remember), and in fact I'm pretty confident there is no cult alignment in the game, but, if I was, and Imic was in the cult, I'd be telling him "hey genius don't tell everyone there's a cult", because why would any cult member want you to think there was a cult ever?

This kind of nonsensical elaborate loophole thinking is above you and why I think you are scum.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: January 11, 2018, 01:47:38 am »

To all:
I said Notquitethere, but I meant gigagiant. It was a case of me forgetting someone's name because I was busy at the time. I feel like my point is less clear, and my case is on shaky ground, though, so I think I'm going to draw out until tomorrow.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: January 11, 2018, 01:49:55 am »

I do not intend to join the cult. I am a townie as - is, and I am perfectly happy with that.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

GigaGiant

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering down at you
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: January 11, 2018, 02:17:43 am »

notquitethere
Working on a hunch, I started writing out evidence for how GigaGiant is probably the cult leader. But now I've gone through it, it seems less likely/reading back I seem increasingly deranged. So the work wasn't wasted, here's what I found:

Spoiler: Case For (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Case Against (click to show/hide)
I wish I was a recruiter. :P However, if I was, Imic would be one of my last choices. I probably would have tried recruiting you or Tiruin, simply on the basis of experience.

Regarding some of your other points:
1. I was moving my RVS questions around a lot while I was originally editing them. I think I moved the questions for Imic and Silthuri to the top 2 slots because they sounded friendlier and I wanted to start with them. I also made sure that the questions for you and Tiruin were adjacent. Other than that, I didn't pay any attention to the order.

2. I was questioning Imic for a few reasons
_A. To clarify if he actually was talking about you or me in this post
_B. To find out his thoughts regarding Maximum Spin, who was being discussed by most of the town at the time. He hadn't commented on him or his behavior.
_C. As part of my effort to understand Maximum Spin's connection to him. I speculated in the same post that Maximum Spin would know when Imic accepted or rejected the cult offer, and I questioned Imic regarding that to check if my speculation was accurate.

Silthuri
Imic
notquitethere I have several reasons to be suspicioud of him, but I don't want to say any of them. I want to see what he thinks and what he says, but I don't think I'll get up to anything until tommorrow
Juicebox I haven't played mafia on the forum much, although I've done it a lot in real life, my playstile is usually to watch in the corner for signs of lying when questioned, and try to piece things together from that. I'm going to see now if that works on a forum.
1. Why keep those suspicions to yourself? If your suspicions are well founded, then what's the disadvantage of saying them now?
2. Instead of being passive and waiting for others to ask me questions, why not take the initiative? You can ask me questions directly. If I'm scum, then this would only help your case. Either I would answer your questions and potentially reveal more lies, or I would refuse to answer them, which would be suspicious in itself. What's the downside?

What's your opinion of Maximum Spin?
The thing that goes through my mind here are noobtells versus scumtells. You're attacking a relatively new player for being more passive in their gameplay. Do you really think this means Imic is scum or are they just learning the game?

Also, please note the highly emphasized parts in your reply to Imic. Are you trying to hint at something here? It's almost like you're trying to nudge Imic to think that Max is scummy based on his refusal to answer questions. You defend Max but then urge the new player subtly into believing that Max is indeed scummy.
1. That vote was intended as a pressure vote to make him talk. I wanted him to answer as soon as possible, since there was the possibility of the Day ending when FOU came back. I didn't consider him worthy of lynching at the time.
2. I was a little ticked at him because of his unclear "Why am I suspicious of you" questions earlier, so that probably influenced my tone.
3. I recognized that he was new, but I didn't agree with his play style choice and wanted to make that clear. I was trying to explain the advantages of being more proactive, though I admit my tone may have been too aggressive.
4. I wasn't hinting at anything nor was I trying to influence his opinion of Maximum Spin. MS was a topic of discussion for most of the town at the time, so I just wanted to know what he thought about MS, since he hadn't commented on him. I hoped his response would give me some insight into what he was thinking and how much attention he was paying to the game.
5. I wasn't trying to defend Maximum Spin. My vote would have remained on him had the hammer not been an issue. That's why I FOSed him in that post. I didn't want him hammered since that would cut the day short, and we would lose valuable scum hunting time.

Maximum Spin
You missed my questions.
Maximum Spin
When did you learn about this message? Why did you choose to mention the cult after Imic brought it up, rather than earlier?
Beginning of d1, and because I currently understand the cult to be town-aligned. Answering the rest of your question is beyond the scope of the information I am presently willing and able to convey.
Well, alright. Is there any other information that you would be willing to share with us? Will you tell us more information if you survive to Day 2?
Or was it that you just refused to answer them because the questions seemed too vague? Then I'll rephrase them:
Is there anything else within that "scope of information" that you haven't already mentioned and would be willing to share today (Day 1) or tomorrow (Day 2)?

This is my last question for you. I had much more to say regarding you, but I'll save it for tomorrow when I'm less tired.

Also, FOU, I think BlackHeartKabal needs to be prodded. He hasn't posted in over 3 days. Tawa might need to be prodded as well. It's nearly been 3 days for him too.

PPE:
Imic
I do not intend to join the cult. I am a townie as - is, and I am perfectly happy with that.
If you did want to join the cult, what do you have to do? Do you just respond to the cult message with a yes or a no?
Who do you think should be lynched?
Insert witty signature here

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: January 11, 2018, 02:23:40 am »

You missed my questions.
Or was it that you just refused to answer them because the questions seemed too vague? Then I'll rephrase them:
Is there anything else within that "scope of information" that you haven't already mentioned and would be willing to share today (Day 1) or tomorrow (Day 2)?
I did in fact miss those questions, although I'm not sure I would have given them a straight answer anyway. As of right now I'm not sure I have any more information of import to volunteer, no. Tomorrow... I mean, we'll see what information I have tomorrow! I can't make any promises about that, obviously.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: January 11, 2018, 04:56:47 am »

I don't know who should be lynched, since a lot of cases here are based off previous playstyles which I have not personally seen. As for the cult, I'm just not going to answer.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: January 11, 2018, 09:40:46 am »

Also, FOU, I think BlackHeartKabal needs to be prodded. He hasn't posted in over 3 days. Tawa might need to be prodded as well. It's nearly been 3 days for him too.
Noted.
~~~
Day 1 will end 9:00 P.M. Central/Forum time today(48 hours later than normal due to it being Day 1). The day's communal extension has not yet been used.

Votecount:
(3) *Maximum Spin: BlackHeartKabal, Tawa, randomgenericusername
(1) *notquitethere: juicebox
(1) *kingawsume: notquitethere
(0) *Tiruin:
(0) *Silthuri:
(0) *BlackHeartKabal:
(1) *randomgenericusername: Maximum Spin
(0) *GigaGiant:
(0) *Tawa:
(0) *juicebox:
(1) *Imic: GigaGiant

Not voting: kingawsume, Imic, Silthuri

(* denotes that the player has not yet used their personal 24 hour extension)

Tropecount:

((bolded orange is an acceptable alternative to purple for trope voting.))

(0) Rocks Fall, Everybody Dies:
(0) Affably Evil:
(1) Boring But Practical: Tawa
(1) Katanas Are Just Better: randomgenericusername
(0) Gosh Dang It To Heck:
(0) Worthless Yellow Rocks:
(0) Cincinnatus:
(0) Star-Crossed Lovers:
(0) Clock King:
(0) Time Master:
(0) Red Herring:
(9) Hilarity Ensues: notquitethere, BlackHeartKabal, Imic, Maximum Spin, kingawsume, juicebox, Silthuri, Tiruin, GigaGiant
(0) Jumping The Shark:

Not voting:

Trope in Effect: The Coconut Effect(scroll up)

((If you detect any flaws in the counts, please let me know))
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 12:48:57 pm by FallacyofUrist »
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 48