Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]

Author Topic: DF v0.44.02+ Worldgen Cookbook Thread  (Read 72130 times)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF v0.44.02+ Worldgen Cookbook Thread
« Reply #210 on: January 04, 2020, 06:11:22 am »

2. Erosion erodes the soil layers, and those don't contain any minerals.
4. Thicker layers (i.e. more Z levels) before the first cavern might help for shallow resources. The thickness of an embark depends on a number of factors, though, but the distance between caverns (and the surface and the first cavern) again results in thicker layers. For some reason it seems generation is more variable when you leave these parameters at their default values than when you set them manually.

It's possible to hack the geo biome prior to embark to add resources you want and remove ones you don't care about (this assumes the scarcity setting controls the total volume generated, so removing unwanted resources would free up room for the ones you want: I don't know if that assumption has been proven).

bucketsofbuckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: January 04, 2020, 08:41:10 pm »

Nothing exceptionally dwarfy, so much as more embarks allowing for military self-sufficiency, over trading for metals, while also being interesting (reanimating, not far from a tower, threat of evil clouds, etc.). And building a heavy metal fortress, with EVERYTHING IN THE FORTRESS MADE OUT OF LEAD, SILVER, AND GOLD.

gnurro

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: March 19, 2020, 08:03:08 am »

XXwrong threadXX
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 08:12:54 am by gnurro »

satan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: August 28, 2020, 10:20:04 pm »

Does anyone have a world with every biome, tons of megabeasts and most types of wildlife?
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Iä! RIAKTOR!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: October 08, 2020, 05:43:25 pm »

How make humans and elves always hostile to dwarves in world?

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: October 08, 2020, 05:51:58 pm »

Does anyone have a world with every biome, tons of megabeasts and most types of wildlife?
I advise being more specific, as a standard WorldGen will provide all of those things.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: October 09, 2020, 12:38:48 pm »

I advise being more specific, as a standard WorldGen will provide all of those things.
Not quite true. The Dry Broadleaf Forest biome requires a world that's at least 129 tiles high (it can be narrower). You can get at most 9 biomes in your embark, making it possible for you to get all brewable plants (although that's probably impossible in practice unless you use both a PSV world and massage it to get the plants to spawn and the embark location to actually get all biomes).

There are probably several ways, but the one I can think of is to give humans and elves the same ethics as goblins have (or at least the ones that make them hostile, but I don't know exactly which ones they are)

Zalthor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: November 11, 2020, 01:01:42 am »

Try adding the [BABYSNATCHER] ENTITY token to the humans and elves.

Iä! RIAKTOR!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: November 13, 2020, 07:44:07 pm »

How generate a world with 9 biomes embark? But this embark needs to have many night troll lairs and kobolds cave.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: November 14, 2020, 11:16:42 am »

Either generate worlds until the cows come home, or use a PSV world ensure there are many cases of 9 world tiles blocks with different biomes, and then use the Region Manipulator to hack the embark world tile to actually get all the surrounding biomes to get into the world tile and to where you want your embark.

If you want a kobold cave you'd have to fill your world with 9 tile blocks and select one that has a kobold cave in it (and then manipulate the world tile prior to embark).

I don't know why you'd want night troll lairs, as night trolls are supposed to not be present in Fortress Mode, so I'd expect an empty lair at best.

Some things can be moved in a world without any visible bad side effects (towns etc. can not be moved without issues, I would expect that kobolds may get confused if they move their cave). I don't know about caves or lairs, though. I don't think there are any ready made scripts for moving locations.

The Embark Assistant displays lairs in the current world tile, but it doesn't provide any way to search for them.

Iä! RIAKTOR!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: November 15, 2020, 02:11:16 am »

Either generate worlds until the cows come home, or use a PSV world ensure there are many cases of 9 world tiles blocks with different biomes, and then use the Region Manipulator to hack the embark world tile to actually get all the surrounding biomes to get into the world tile and to where you want your embark.

If you want a kobold cave you'd have to fill your world with 9 tile blocks and select one that has a kobold cave in it (and then manipulate the world tile prior to embark).

I don't know why you'd want night troll lairs, as night trolls are supposed to not be present in Fortress Mode, so I'd expect an empty lair at best.

Some things can be moved in a world without any visible bad side effects (towns etc. can not be moved without issues, I would expect that kobolds may get confused if they move their cave). I don't know about caves or lairs, though. I don't think there are any ready made scripts for moving locations.

The Embark Assistant displays lairs in the current world tile, but it doesn't provide any way to search for them.
Can Region Manipulator move necrotowers too?

Blocks?

Night trolls can be present in fortress mode, but only if you embarked directly on their lair. They just don't rampage your fortress from other tiles (like werewolves do).

Whet issues you get if move town?

I used it. Just one little problem: mound and burrow looks identical in it.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: November 15, 2020, 03:51:56 am »

The Region Manipulator does not provide any ability to move stuff onto the current world tile. It's completely focused on manipulating things within it.

Blocks of 3*3 world tiles, to get 9 different biomes. This is simply a descriptive term for this particular purpose and doesn't have any relation to any in-game structures (apart from the world tiles themselves, of course).

If you move a town/fortress/forest retreat (and their variations) the game still thinks it is in the original location for some purposes. My experiments (now a few years back) of trying to move the starting site of civs caused new settlements to be set up around the original location, or fail to generate any new settlements at all if moved to a different land mass. There are obviously ties to something I don't know of, and that might not be mapped by DFHack. Necro towers have been moved without any visible issues, although I don't know to what extent they've been tested to verify that they'll actually attack a fortress they've been moved next to.

At the time the Embark Assistant was written the DFHack structure info describing lairs was a lot more unclear than the current one, so the implementation only specifies that there's a lair at the location, but not the type of lair. If I remember correctly from the restructuring of the DFHack info there were two lair sub types described as night creature ones, but it seemed one of them could contain just about any kind of creature (including night ones), while the other seemed to be exclusive to night creatures.
Regardless, I'd use Legends Viewer to check that there's actually a desirable creature in the lair before embark, as I assume you don't want an empty one.
If you want to search for lairs I'd suggest writing a script to search the site vector for the types you want to take a closer look at.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: November 18, 2020, 09:39:48 am »

Night trolls can be present in fortress mode, but only if you embarked directly on their lair. They just don't rampage your fortress from other tiles (like werewolves do).
So what do they do if you do embark directly on their lair?  Do they act more or less like they would in adventure mode, i.e. are you just nearly always going to have to fight them immediately?

Garrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://Facebook.com
« Reply #223 on: March 20, 2021, 07:25:32 pm »

Thought I'd share medium region, 3x3 waterfall+volcano embark I just stumbled apon.
...snip
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
What do i do with the word gen params please?
Is there any way to remove mud outdoors?
Yea, use dirt roads to clear off the mud.
Garrie.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: March 21, 2021, 03:36:04 am »

@Garrie: The parameters are copied into <DF>\data\init\world_gen.txt. You'd then start DF and select advanced world gen, and from there you select the new MR-EVIL world for generation.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]