Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 45

Author Topic: Omega Legion: Killing you with Kindness  (Read 60174 times)

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Omega Legion: End of an Era
« Reply #120 on: December 20, 2017, 12:13:14 pm »

((Can Freddy distract the flying monsters from attacking us and safely tank their hits? He is a huge fire-breathing clockwork dragon after all.))
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 20, 2017, 02:00:10 pm »

Move away from the approaching creatures and torwards the pillars, restrain self to the carts so I can't get knocked off.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 07:43:44 pm by spazyak »
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 20, 2017, 02:30:33 pm »

Focus on dodging any attacks using my flying cart and staying as far as possible from the monsters while still being close to the group and moving towards the objective. If hostiles get too close, focus on my fairy dance ring to make the creatures dance. Use my smoke ring to distract them if the dance ring doesn't work and I'm going to be attacked. If I can't get out of there by flying and not doing anything will cause the destruction of the cart and kill me,
wave my fire ring around to try to get the flying monsters on fire and as a last ditch attemp, grab onto them.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 09:38:21 pm by randomgenericusername »
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 20, 2017, 02:45:12 pm »

((I'm fine with fighting, but ideally I'd like this cart unhooked from me first.  Telling Freddie to slow down would make that easier, preferably by someone with non -2 charisma.  I think it's possible to fight with the cart hooked up, though, just more likely to lose the cart and maybe get hurt.))

Follow Vladen lower down.  The height advantage is important in combat, but I'm pretty fast, so it might be suprising to attack from below.  Take a look at the oncoming cloud of creatures, and try to estimate how effective fliers they are, how large each individual one is, and how many are in the swarm.

Some combat plans:  If they're tiny, go through them at full speed horizontally or vertically, and try to eat one or two while flying through the group.  If they're small, do the same, but try to catch one or two in my claws to transfer to the mouth later.  If they're about the same size as I am, pass by below them and see if they attack first.  If no, double back and pick a specific one to cut out from the group with napalm breath.  Attack the target with claws from a vulnerable angle and set its neigbors on fire.  If I am attacked, speed up so they miss their dives and try to lure a couple into collisions with each other.  Aim to spray napalm on them when they flare out below me, and double back to scatter the more cautious ones who didn't screw up with more fire, and pick a wounded one to eat chunks from.  Be very noisy, the flock may scatter.

If they're larger than I am, but not enormous pick an individual target similar to the above, but hit it with fire and my claws, and try to either score a quick kill or rip off a tasty-looking chunk of meat.

If they're enormous and the flock is also enormous discretion may be the better part of valor, and perhaps these guys are better not engaged.  Fly quietly and try to avoid notice.  If I am attacked, go into a climb upwards, so as to be able to roll on my back and spray napalm upwards in the face of my attacker.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 07:49:06 pm by Devastator »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 20, 2017, 03:03:15 pm »

*remembers my magical knives*

Spoiler: Gak Knife Belt (click to show/hide)

Continue flying to pillar planet, using Dagger 5 to shroud myself in darkness. Try to avoid the flock of ... whatever, if possible, but if they get close to me use Dagger 5 to blind them long enough for me to fly away.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 20, 2017, 07:33:21 pm »

I seem to have failed once again to convey the scale of things. You all are at least a couple hours' continuous flight from land of any kind. The concourses are long past, and you are flying essentially over an abyss. the ceiling is distant up above, and the pillar is the closest solid surface to you.

Landing, either to fight, or to unhook, is not really an option here.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 20, 2017, 07:42:46 pm »

Ahh.  Corrected my orders with that in mind.  That said, unhooking Freddie is still a possibility since the carts can hover.  Pull up beside Freddie's cart, walk over to it from your own cart, unhook Freddie from there, and then just leave the extra cart hovering.  Hooking him back up would be challenging, though, so it's less appealing.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 07:51:05 pm by Devastator »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 21, 2017, 12:23:55 am »

Ah. Well in that case ...

Actually my actions are more or less unchanged.
Sig! Onol

SuperDino85

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 21, 2017, 09:02:00 pm »

((I wonder if the creatures are close enough together for Kongor to start consecutive chain reactions with his lightning gauntlets?))

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 22, 2017, 08:13:01 am »

As usual, please look at the bottom of the turn for where everyone is and what's happening, after your own turns resolve.

(4) the party kinda veers away from the flock in general while still aiming roughly at the Pillar. You guys get some distance, but the flock does follow and approaches.

((I wonder if the creatures are close enough together for Kongor to start consecutive chain reactions with his lightning gauntlets?))
you could try it and find out.

keep an eye on that flock. Warn the others to keep their guard up too
Consider them warned. Consider the flock watched.

Move away from the approaching creatures and towards the pillars, restrain self to the carts so I can't get knocked off.
(1) You point your cart at the pillar/wall and start lashing yourself to the cart. in the process, you kick something, or pull something, or press something, and send the cart into an uncontrolled spin, pressing you against your restraints. "This is exactly what I meant to do!" You scream at the flock, and at your teammates.

Focus on dodging any attacks using my flying cart and staying as far as possible from the monsters while still being close to the group and moving towards the objective. If hostiles get too close, focus on my fairy dance ring to make the creatures dance. Use my smoke ring to distract them if the dance ring doesn't work and I'm going to be attacked. If I can't get out of there by flying and not doing anything will cause the destruction of the cart and kill me,
wave my fire ring around to try to get the flying monsters on fire and as a last ditch attemp, grab onto them.

(6)you can't see it from here, but you are certain that some of the creatures do indeed start to do whatever it is birds do when they try to dance. And so do you. You gyrate and writhe and stretch yourself out tall in your seat in the cart. (6) fortunately, you manage to avoid stepping on any of the levers or buttons or knobs in the process.(6) neato. you also have enough left over to summon a thin smoke, which immediately gets blown off behind your cart. You can't really see what happens to it from there, but it keeps coming. So, now you are in a Hypnotic Dance of Dominant Mist.

((I'm fine with fighting, but ideally I'd like this cart unhooked from me first.  Telling Freddie to slow down would make that easier, preferably by someone with non -2 charisma.  I think it's possible to fight with the cart hooked up, though, just more likely to lose the cart and maybe get hurt.))

Follow Vladen lower down.  The height advantage is important in combat, but I'm pretty fast, so it might be suprising to attack from below.  Take a look at the oncoming cloud of creatures, and try to estimate how effective fliers they are, how large each individual one is, and how many are in the swarm.

Some combat plans:  If they're tiny, go through them at full speed horizontally or vertically, and try to eat one or two while flying through the group.  If they're small, do the same, but try to catch one or two in my claws to transfer to the mouth later.  If they're about the same size as I am, pass by below them and see if they attack first.  If no, double back and pick a specific one to cut out from the group with napalm breath.  Attack the target with claws from a vulnerable angle and set its neigbors on fire.  If I am attacked, speed up so they miss their dives and try to lure a couple into collisions with each other.  Aim to spray napalm on them when they flare out below me, and double back to scatter the more cautious ones who didn't screw up with more fire, and pick a wounded one to eat chunks from.  Be very noisy, the flock may scatter.

If they're larger than I am, but not enormous pick an individual target similar to the above, but hit it with fire and my claws, and try to either score a quick kill or rip off a tasty-looking chunk of meat.

If they're enormous and the flock is also enormous discretion may be the better part of valor, and perhaps these guys are better not engaged.  Fly quietly and try to avoid notice.  If I am attacked, go into a climb upwards, so as to be able to roll on my back and spray napalm upwards in the face of my attacker.

You follow the wildly spinning Vladen toward the Pillar/ground. Meanwhile you watch teh flock as it approaches from the left. There are probably thousands of them. They look born to fly. (1) you can't make out sizes or any other features yet.

I'll keep those battle plans in mind for next round. You guys bought a little time by aiming away from them and diving. Maybe Freddie will get lucky and someone will unhitch him from the cart. I do want to remind you though: your fire breath is a concentrated stream, so it's not going to be super effective as an AoE attack. Freddie instinctively knows this, and can adapt, I'm sure.

*remembers my magical knives*

Spoiler: Gak Knife Belt (click to show/hide)

Continue flying to pillar planet, using Dagger 5 to shroud myself in darkness. Try to avoid the flock of ... whatever, if possible, but if they get close to me use Dagger 5 to blind them long enough for me to fly away.
(6) you encompass the entire group in unnatural darkness. You can see everything ofcourse, but the world suddenly goes completely black for everyone else. You can see the flock from a distance kinda do a weird swirl for a minute, before it comes on after you again. The creatures may or may not be able to see you, but they can probably see the Orb of Vantablack moving through their space.
oh, looking ahead, you notice the ground. there is a terminator line between a part of the pillar lighted by the open sky, and that left in darkness due to the remaining outer wall. This is a little odd, considering you have yet to see an actual light source out there, but, hey, it's not te only strange bit of physics in this place, so why question it? Back home, questioning things tended to get you hit, anyway. Now, you notice that the light side of hte ground is rather brilliantly coated in red, though there are patches of dull silver and of hard greyish whitish cream colored whatever. on the darker side of the terminator, you see some of hte red spreading out from the line, but it breaks up into small patches and streaks before disappearing not far from the end of the light.

The situation:
you are heading roughly at a ninety degree angle form the flock, but still toward the pillar/wall/ground. (yes, it's all the same object. You are just close enough thatit's hard to tell if it's wall, ground, or enormous round thing).

The world suddenly goes completely black for all of you. this doesn't bother Gak, but the rest of you can't see shit. Naturally, you all hope that this particular effect is ended quickly, so you can get back to business with less of a disadvantage.
Vladen is spiralling out of control, heading toward ... you know, the ground. Rex is dancing hypnotically and spewing smoke, which expands behind him into an oddly colorful smoke. Kongor is contemplating lightning. Freddie is whining and scratching at his harness, hoping to be freed to fight, for a change.
(2) you will not make it to land before the flock catches up to you.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 22, 2017, 08:16:54 am »

Try tonget out of the death spirsl and perhaps use my vaguely worded nagics to at least soften my fall if I fail.
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 22, 2017, 09:22:19 am »

Keep using that Hypnotic Dance of Dominant Mist to distract the flying monsters so that they don't attack us. Make sure to fly towards the pillar or at least not flying too much downwards.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 03:00:57 pm by randomgenericusername »

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 22, 2017, 02:47:40 pm »

Continue the dive until I come out of the smoke.  If I don't after twenty or thirty seconds, level out and move shallowly in an attempt to get out of the smoke that way.  If I do clear it, engage the swarm as expected.  If the smoke continues indefinately, spray a bit of fire out to make sure I can see something, and my eyes haven't been magically removed or something.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 03:02:03 pm by Devastator »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 22, 2017, 09:22:07 pm »

Whoops, seems my dice are doing their thing again. Stop doing the darkness and instead shine a beam of light in the eye equivalents of the flock. If necessary, pull some basic evasive maneuvers while doing so.
Sig! Onol

SuperDino85

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 23, 2017, 09:55:53 am »

Continue towards the general direction of the pillar, and stay out of Freddy's way so he doesn't accidentally shoot me
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 45