Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: When Are Elections?  (Read 710 times)

schlake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
When Are Elections?
« on: December 04, 2017, 01:30:47 pm »

Last night I downloaded the new version, and fired it up.  I did no mods, just straight DF.  I'd read on the forums that naked dwarves would just trample enemies and return laden with loot, so I designated some digging and soon as one dwarf picked up the pick I put the rest into a squad and sent them to raid the elves that were two tiles away.

They were all immediately captured.  I have no nobility,and no method to appoint nobility.  Migrants have come though, as well as elven raiders.  All in all, I'm still ahead, up to roughly 80 dwarves I think.  I built a tavern, and people are coming to it as well.  But there hasn't been a mayoral election yet.  I can't do much of anything.  Trading is a disaster because I can't see prices.  When the elves come and attack I can't defend because I can't make more military.  I don't have a manager, so I have to hand queue every pot and every brew.  My liason keeps leaving upset because he can't meet with anyone.

Will I ever have an election, or is my only hope to donate enough goods to migrate the king or queen here someday?  Or can a baron show up without the liason if I try for that as well?

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
  • local satanist practices black magic in cornfields
    • View Profile
Re: When Are Elections?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 01:36:15 pm »

your best bet at this point is to take what ever military you have left and go on a mission to save the prisoners, but this feature may or may not be bugged
Someone hands you a basketful of Jeses.
Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.
You ever get so mad you fuck a donkey?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 01:56:38 pm »

I believe mayoral elections are held every summer once you've got 50 citizens. There is also some kind of process to automatically replace the expedition leader before that, but I wouldn't be surprised if being captured rather than killed causes the imprisoned expedition leader to retain the title (nor should other nobles be stripped of their titles just for getting caught unless that's somehow part of cultural values). The conclusion is probably that you shouldn't send the expedition leader off on missions like that.
In your case I'd probably try a prison break expedition, as deathpunch578 suggested.

schlake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 08:05:35 pm »

Since I sent six of my seven of my dwarves off to glory at embark, I have no leader in my fortress, so I can't form units or schedule raids.  I can barely buy things from the caravans, and when elves come for bloody revenge all I can do is count down the deaths and make more coffins.

schlake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 08:23:38 pm »

FIRST OF GRANITE!  EARLY SPRING!  I HAVE A MAYOR!

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2017, 08:28:45 pm »

Some brief disassembly diving indicates that, at least as of version 0.43.03, elections take place at exactly 4:00 PM on the 17th day of Summer (specifically, 2000 season-ticks after the beginning of the season). If you don't have a mayor, then the election will happen at the beginning of every season, rather than just Summer.

Back in 40d, they happened at 8:00 AM on the 18th day of Summer (8000 season-ticks before the end of the season) because time values were tracked differently (the same reason behind the red crops bug that was introduced in 0.31 and finally fixed in 0.40.05).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2017, 05:47:54 am »

Nice digging, Quietust!